[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good foods that just happen to be fairly healthy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9
File: PoachEgg2.jpg (16 KB, 360x291) Image search: [Google]
PoachEgg2.jpg
16 KB, 360x291
So whenever I search for "healthy" recipes I always end up getting nothing but a bunch of extreme dieting crap. I like to cook but most of what I cook isn't exactly good for me.

Looking to add in some better for me recipes into the rotation.

I'll start with poached eggs on toast. Its one of my go to breakfasts, its delicious, and just happens to be one of the healthiest ways to eat eggs
>>
>>7031333
If you use a non-stick pan, and don't overdo the fat, it's pretty hard to make unhealthy eggs.
>>
File: cabbage_soup.jpg (60 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
cabbage_soup.jpg
60 KB, 640x478
Make a cabbage soup with a light broth, mushrooms, green onion, tofu, been sprouts, chili peppers, etc.

Vibrant, filling, great for the winter (if you live in my hemisphere), etc.
>>
Salads are probably the worst diet food out there. Avoid. My suggestion would be lentil, bean and legume dishes. Soups and pastas with these are about the healthiest foods on the planet.
>>
>>7031358
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to diet, I'm just trying to add in recipes that aren't actively bad for me. Been cooking way too many steaks, fried foods, and creamy sauces lately
>>
>>7031358
I actually really like salad. A well-composed one is excellent. A bad one is inedible.
>>
>>7031407
>A well-composed one is excellent. A bad one is inedible.

wow. just like any other food.

amazing!
>>
honestly, just try to eat more vegetables.
if you eat ~1 lb of food, have 1/2 of it make up vegetables, 1/4 protein (pref. chicken or tofu), and 1/4 carbs (pref. whole grains but they suck).

when in doubt, cook more vegetables
>>
>>7031413
kek

I disagree slightly. I'll eat a bad hotdog, or a bad pasta dish, but I can't stand a bad salad.
>>
File: shakshuka.jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
shakshuka.jpg
15 KB, 300x225
I've been making Shakshuka lately. Super easy to make and pretty darn healthy (at least low cal). Can season it to taste and can be eaten any time during the day. I make it once or twice a week because it makes great leftovers. Also, you can have the ingredients on hand almost all the time.

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2010/07/summer-2010-travel-blog-shakshuka/

This is the recipe i've been following, but it's super customizable. I throw in green olives as well, adds a little more flavor.

I've got to cut some weight anyways, so this thread is very relevant to my interests. I've just been binge eating and drinking the past week. Got off my healthy kick and I feel disgusting. Time to get back on the health wagon.
>>
>>7031358
>worst diet food out there

exactly how?

a green salad is healthy and delicious in every way and i eat at least one a day
>>
>>7031426
Same here that stuff is fantastic, I'd recommend it to anyone
>>
>>7031448
He's probably referring to the oils, dressings, cheese, bacon, chicken, croutons (fried in butter and garlic), etc.

If it's just lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, etc. then yeah, it's one of the best foods out there.
>>
>>7031358
Honestly my biggest problem with salads is that prepping a good one takes almost as long as prepping the meal since you have to cut up so many different things. They take way too damn long to prepare
>>
>>7031456
this is literally the greatest salad ever made. and it's quite easy. I could eat it every day with every meal

http://www.goldenearthworm.com/recipes/2015/6/8/red-oakleaf-and-bibb-salad-with-gruyere-garlic-croutons-and-dijon-vinaigrette

also nice trips
>>
>>7031347
Do you know how to poach an egg?
>>
>>7031426
Making a tomato heavy dish in a cast iron pan sounds like a bad idea.
>>
>>7031468
Why's that?
>>
>>7031426
Looks pretty good, do you usually eat it with rice or something? It looks kind of saucy.
>>
>>7031468
It's not like you're letting it sit in there for hours.
>>
>>7031468
I thought the same thing at first, it just didn't seem like it'd work well. But it works just fine, as the recipe mention, just simmer some olive oil in before and it works just fine.

>>7031471
I haven't yet, but you can definitely make it a side as opposed to an entree. It actually ends up in more a stew consistency (at least how I make it). I think that recipe suggests eating it with some toast. Rice would be good with it as well thought I imagine.

Also >>7031464 looks pretty good, might try that tomorrow.
>>
Just add more vegetables to your diet and less other stuff, especially dark greens. Pretty much any dark green veg can be roasted with salt, pepper and oil and turn out delicious, super easy pretty healthy.
>>
>>7031448
It's not a balanced filling meal. They're okay as a side. Unless you're eating them by the bucket the vast majority of the calories will come from the dressing. And generally speaking lettuce is used to bulk it up is not very nutritious. Cooked vegetables are far better tasting than salads and you can consume more in one sitting. A saag made from an entire bunch of spinach yields two servings that are far easier to eat than trying to eat half a bunch of spinach raw.

Mainly my problem with them is they're the kind of food that make dieting sad eaten as a sort of penance. Instead of salads if people just made good vegetable based mains they'd be much happier and healthier.

I have to put the disclaimer that not all salads are sad just most.
>>
>>7031471
I have it with roti, naan or lightly fired bread.
>>
>>7031468

You get iron in diet, nothing wrong with that.

Now if you're doing this with a pewter pan you get lead poisoning.
>>
>>7031333
Poached eggs always seemed like a really annoying way to cook them that's not worth the hassle to me.
>>
just brown some ground beef and eat it.
>>
>>7031532
They take exactly the same amount of effort as pretty much every other way of cook eggs. Maybe a few extra minutes to get the water hot, but all you do is just slow put the eggs in the water, wait, and take them out.

Now Hollandaise is a pain the ass to make and its basically impossible to make for just one person.
>>
>>7031541
Really?
For some reason I thought the whites wouldn't easily surround the yolk and would spead out.
>>
>>7031541
you can refrigerate hollandaise sauce.
>>
Looks good and simple. Can this be made in a pot instead of a frying pan?
>>
>>7031544
The yolks never spread even if the whites don't properly cover. But if you swirl the water or gently place them in shallow water the whites just automatically cover.
>>
>>7031545
How long does it keep, when I tried to research it everything pretty much said that it doesn't keep at all and has to be made the day of
>>
>>7031426
Looks good and simple. Can this be made in a pot instead of a frying pan?
>>
>>7031544
Adding some balsamic vinegar helps too
>>
>>7031549
Yeah

Making acidic tomato based sauce dishes in a cast iron pan is a great way to ruin the seasoning anyway
>>
File: Noel thumbs up.webm (346 KB, 440x346) Image search: [Google]
Noel thumbs up.webm
346 KB, 440x346
>>7031550
>>7031547
Alright guys, I guess I'll try poaching me an egg for breakfast today. Spin the water and add vinegar, got it. Salt the water yes/no?
>>
>>7031555
You're not supposed to but I do
>>
>>7031548
As long as cooked eggs keep. 3-4 days?
>>
>>7031516
strips the seasoning
>>
>>7031467
Poor reading comprehension, lad.
>>
>>7031347

>The complexes that lysozyme forms with other egg white proteins, gut borne bacterial peptides and food peptides may adversely stimulate the immune system.
>>
>>7031560
This hasn't been my experience. I'm not sure how acid or watery material would remove the polymerized layer.
>>
>>7031555
Gentle spin and vinegar is only needed if your eggs aren't fresh. In all honesty I'd use fresh eggs and skip the vinegar. Also no salt until after cooked.
>>
>>7031492
>It's not a balanced filling meal.
no shit, it's an entrée, not a main dish
>>
>>7031492
>A saag made from an entire bunch of spinach...
>Obvious streetshitter
Opinion discarded
>>
What were you eating before that made you think eggs and bread was considered healthy?
>>
File: 1444453342223.png (430 KB, 485x722) Image search: [Google]
1444453342223.png
430 KB, 485x722
>>7031492
poo in loo
>>
Baked chicken breast with brown rice is amazing usually cook it with rosemary and thyme with a little garlick then squeeze some fresh lemon juice over it works out to around 490 calories low fat and tastes amazing
>>
>>7031354
That sounds so delicious right now.
>>
Same guy who posted the Shakshuka here. Super easy recipe that I use for breakfast almost every day.

>dice 1 onion, a bell pepper, and a potato.
>put onion and pepper in pan on medium-high heat lightly covered in pam or Olive Oil
>microwave potato for 3-4 mins and cook it (not ideal but quickest way)
>throw cooked potato into pan
>garlic, paprika, pepper, and whatever other spices please you (I use cayenne or Lowry's a lot too)
>mix up every couple minutes until potatoes start to brown on the outside to get them crispy
>can throw in some sliced turkey or ham or something as well for some protein and let those char a little bit to get a little crispy
>healthy hashbrowns

>I also usually cook some egg whites after, but the hashbrowns alone is pretty dang filling.
>>
File: when fat people make salad.png (896 KB, 1372x637) Image search: [Google]
when fat people make salad.png
896 KB, 1372x637
>>7031358
You want salad? I have a salad.
>>
>>7031354
How much of each ingredient?
>Recipe please
>>
Whta are the best vegetables to roast?
>>
>>7034056
all brassica family veggies
>>
File: ken_sama.jpg (19 KB, 600x279) Image search: [Google]
ken_sama.jpg
19 KB, 600x279
>>7031354

gomenasai
>>
>>7032171

that looks good desu
>>
>>7034056

Pretty much any vegetable with seeds can be roasted, stuffed or sauced.
>>
>>7031468
you're thinking of aluminum cookware, you stupid faggot
>>
>>7034056
carrot, onion, brusselled sprouts, squash, potato, leak, tomato
>>
>>7034536
yes
>>
>>7031354
Recipe, PLEASE
>>
>>7031333
brussels sprouts are god tier
>>
>>7031333
>bread is healthy
>>7031347
>fat is unhealthy

good goyim
>>
>>7031492

translation: i don't like salads and i think the world is shaped around my opinions and perceptual experiences.
>>
>>7031560
No. I work in a restaurant that does shakshuka served and cooked in a cast iron skillet and the seasonings don't get stripped (and these things are used all day erryday for shakshuka and other stuff)
>>
>>7031333
Try to use brown rice instead of white rice and use whole-wheat pasta?
>>
>>7036074
>No. I work in a restaurant that does shakshuka served and cooked in a cast iron skillet
CafeCafe? When I was in Israel this is what they did.
>>
>>7035284
I like you, let's be friends!
>>
>>7031333
I really like peanut butter + banana sandwich

Or an egg avocado salad sandwich.
>>
>>7031456
I like salad bars for that very reason. People think i'm crazy when I get salads when we end up going to some stupid disgusting chain restaurant like Chili's or Marie Calendar's but it's for that reason exactly. I like a good salad with a lot of ingredients but preparing it at home is a hassle.
>>
>>7034144

>Pretty much any vegetable with seeds

aka fruit

and i guess this kind of true but it's also true of pretty much any other vegetable
>>
>>7032171
>fat free dressing
>to make it healthier
>>
>>7036178
well they're not wrong. fat adds up. there's already a lot of bacon and cheese in the salad.
>>
>>7036183
they're wrong in the belief that eating fat directly translates to getting fat, that's why the fat free meme is so popular
people assume they're being healthy by buying their FAT FREE potato chips and FAT FREE ice cream or whatever, when the only thing it really does is slightly lower the calorie count and make food taste worse
>>
>>7036212

>they're wrong in the belief that eating fat directly translates to getting fat

they never said they held this belief you bellend, shut up this is the most boring conversation in the world
>>
>>7036217
how else would one expect fat free dressing to make a salad more heathful
>>
>>7036224

by reducing the fat content to more moderate levels.
>>
>>7036227
you're still gonna get fat if you slather every salad with fat free dressing
>>
>>7036227

And the only way anyone would assume that "less fat = healthy" would be if they were to have the mistaken assumption that eating fat directly translates to getting fat.
>>
ITT: salad eating faggots argue about faggot salad
>>
>>7036233
what's wrong with salad faggot
>>
>>7036229

no you aren't shut the fuck up.

>>7036232

no that's not the only way you fucking absolute retard. fat is calorie dense. reducing it will reduce your calorie intake significantly. one way of doing this is by using fat free dressings. is there any moral reason why you shjouldn't be doing this? assuming that your aesthetic preference isn't violated by doing it, what reason is there not to, if you're trying to reduce the amount of calories you consume? use your fucking brain and stop simplifying everything to the point of dogma.
>>
>>7036242
or you could, y'know, not use dressing
or a vinaigrette
instead of pouring spiced cream on your salad
>>
>>7036239
It's what food eats
>>
>>7036261
are we all not food in the end
>>
>>7036249
I don't know why you think the fat in "cream" is much different than the fat in vinaigrette.
>>
>>7036242
>fat is calorie dense. reducing it will reduce your calorie intake significantly.

Not really, unless you're drinking the salad dressing by the cupful. There's not much dressing on a salad. Changing it from full-fat to low-fat would have a negligible effect on the calories you consume--again, unless you're talking about some massive volume of dressing.

>>is there any moral reason?
No. But I'd much rather eat a smaller portion of full-fat dressing compared to a larger portion of the shitty-tasting low fat stuff.

There's no dogma involved anon, just the simple fact that controlling your portion size is both more effective and tastier than using low-fat alternatives.
>>
>>7036249

do you know what a vinaigrette is? most salad dressings aren't 'spiced cream'. vinaigrettes are just as full of fat as caesar dressing or whatever. if you are fat, and you can't live without dressing, you aren't a fucking retard for using fat free dressings. you aren't spitting in the face of god by doing it either. it's only gonna annoy arrogant snobs like you and i applaud them for doing that.
>>
Poached chicken breasts in tomato sauce.

Serve it with a heap of green beans and broccoli.

90% of my meals are basically this, swapping out the veggies and might replace the chicken with fish or make a different sauce.

Takes 30 mins tops to make and is full of vegetables. Very minimal carbs.
>>
>>7036233
>>7036261
Wow, look at the Macho-man. I bet you're a real gruff jock man to pretend to be manly on an Laotian turnip farming forum.
>>
>>7036270

> just the simple fact that controlling your portion size is both more effective and tastier than using low-fat alternatives.

that's completely, obviously dependent on the numbers involved and the substitutions you're making. 'controlling portion size' is so fucking vague. by and large, we want fat people to be eating greens, and if they will only do this if you provide them with low calorie dressings, so be it.

>There's not much dressing on a salad.

there's often lots of dressing on a salad, it depends on the salad, but much of the time you are ingesting oil by the tablespoon when eating a dressed salad.
>>
>>7036288
>'controlling portion size' is so fucking vague

How so? You determine how many calories your body burns for maintenance. Then you eat portions that provide a calorie count below that number. It's the opposite of vague.

>>there's often lots of dressing on a salad
That's a problem from step number one. There shouldn't be a large amount of dressing on a salad. It's a seasoning or garnish; it's not a fundamental part of the dish unless you're some fatass who drenches everything with a half-bottle of ranch.

>> but much of the time you are ingesting oil by the tablespoon when eating a dressed salad.
A tablespoon is not very much anon.

As an example I checked the calorie information for "Hidden Valley Ranch", a common salad dressing in the US. The difference in calories between a 2-tb serving of the full-fat original recipe versus the low-fat "light" recipe is only 60 calories.
>>
>>7036319

there absolutely should be a large amount of dressing on a salad (depending on the salad), it's just pleb homecooks that hold back on it. dressing is a fundamental part of many salads. it's not just a seasoning, it completely changes the dish. homecooks always use way too little dressing and don't combine it properly.

>How so? You determine how many calories your body burns for maintenance. Then you eat portions that provide a calorie count below that number.

or you could make substitutions to get to that number. the significance of portion control is affected by the type of food that you are eating.

>A tablespoon is not very much anon.

yes it is, especially when it's the base unit determining how much you eat of a substance that is 9 calories per gram.
>>
>>7036345
>there absolutely should be a large amount of dressing on a salad

How fat are you?
How shitty are your vegetables such that your salad is unpalatable without being drenched in dressing?

>>or you could make substitutions to get to that number.
Sure you could, I agree. But IMHO I would much rather eat a little less of the good-tasting stuff rather than eating more of a less tasty dressing, especially since their calorie contents are fairly close.

>>yes it is,
Lol, no. I just pointed out that the difference in calories between the full-fat and low fat is only 30 calories per tbsp. That's only 1.2% of a maintenance diet for an adult man. It's negligible unless you're wolfing down the dressing at an absurd rate.
>>
>>7036362

>But IMHO I would much rather eat a little less of the good-tasting stuff

as is your prerogative but don't go around casting aspersions on people who use fat free dressings as if it means they don't understand the subject, when you yourself admit that how you handle your calorie control is personal preference.

>How fat are you?

i'm not fat. 'my vegetables' are fine.

>That's only 1.2% of a maintenance diet for an adult man.

do you not see how significant that can be in the grand scheme of things?
>>
>>7031333
>eggs
>healthy

top lel
>>
>>7036444
>i'm not fat. 'my vegetables' are fine.

Then why do you need a large amount of dressing? If the veggies taste good then why use a dressing at all, especially if you are weight-conscious.

>>do you not see how significant that can be in the grand scheme of things?

I'd say the opposite to you. How much dressing could you possibly be eating such that 1.2% is relevant?

If someone needs to adjust their calorie count in order to lose weight they can save hundreds of calories by reducing portion sizes, which is literally orders of magnitude more effective than switching between normal and low-fat salad dressing. Why even bother with the latter when the former is so much more effective?

>> if it means they don't understand the subject

but it *does* mean they don't understand the subject. Why screw around with saving 1% here and 2% there when you could save 20, 30, 50% by eating a smaller portion?
>>
>>7031426
This is a fantastic dish. Bretty gud for camping breakfast!
>>
>>7031333
How do I master making perfect little poached egg balls?

What usually happens:
>Boil some water, let it cool off a little
>Put a dash of vinegar in, swirl the water
>Crack egg into a cup, lower the egg in gently
>Egg gets caught up a little in the turbulence
>Eventually falls to the bottom of the pan
>Never quiet rolls into a ball
>Quest to make perfect poached egg goes on another day
>>
>>7036494

You need to put the egg in to the center of the swirling water that way it doesn't "get caught up in the turbulence".
>>
>>7036494
I dunno, I've never gotten them perfectly round and I don't believe that is necessarily the goal. Just peel off the little web parts you get.
Also I always have the water on a rolling boil so that it instantly cooks the outside and it contains better that way.
>>
>>7036461

>Then why do you need a large amount of dressing?

to bring the salad together. why do we add oil to salad dressings at all? even dispersion of flavour and tenderising the leaves, in addition to the pleasure of fat itself. the intention is not to cover up the flavour of the salad but to enhance it, and homecooks frequently don't understand what this entails.

>If someone needs to adjust their calorie count in order to lose weight they can save hundreds of calories by reducing portion sizes, which is literally orders of magnitude more effective

no it isn't, it depends on the quantities and substitutions you're making, as i've said. portion control and substitution for low fat alternatives can be equally effective or the balance can be tipped in favour of the low fat alternatives in some cases, it just depends on context. when the majority of the calories in your food come from fat, maybe you might want to look into low fat alternatives.

>but it *does* mean they don't understand the subject. Why screw around with saving 1% here and 2% there when you could save 20, 30, 50% by eating a smaller portion?

are you fucking retarded? because they don't want to. there are other means to achieve caloric reduction. i can't fucking believe how obtuse you're being. there is no direct claim you can make about the intelligence or nutritional literacy of a person because they use low fat salad dressing. stop being such a fucking cunt about fat people, you aren't any better than them.
>>
>>7036506
But isn't the entire point to get the egg caught up in the turbulence? That's what Gordon says here : https://youtu.be/p1mGDiEbni4?t=186

>>7036510
Yeah it doesn't make a difference to the taste really it's just about dem aesthetics
>>
>>7036529

the point is that the large strands of egg white are pulled around the yolk by centripetal force. you don't want it to be outside of the centre because that could potentially subject it to centrifugal force, which would rip it apart.

anyway you really don't need the vortex, it's more about the level of simmer you have going and the freshness of the egg.
>>
File: cured salmon with dill.jpg (200 KB, 1024x731) Image search: [Google]
cured salmon with dill.jpg
200 KB, 1024x731
>>
>>7036525
>>7036461
Settle down lads, you're both fucking autistic.
>>
>>7031354

A recipe with quantities of ingredients would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>7031426
Revolver "Shakshuka" Ocelot
>>
>>7031333
I really like sardines. But then again I don't eat healthy.

I would like some tips on this 5:2 thing.
>>
>>7031358
Breh.

Spinach
Sliced/cubed chicken breast
Chopped celery
Tahini dressing (1:1 tahini/water, salt, pepper, lemon juice)

It's good.
>>
>>7036549
god tier
>>
Dice 1 large onion, couple cloves garlic, couple stalks celery, about the same amount of carrots. Sautee 'til soft.

Add 1 lb green lentils and 1 qt chicken broth + enough water to cover everything by about 2 inches. Just water is also fine in a pinch.

Add 1-2 tbsp thyme, 1-2 tsp pepper, 1-2 tsp salt, <1 tsp cayenne, some basil, parsley, whatever floats your boat. Measuring is for queers. Stir and simmer for ~30 minutes.

Slice/chop 1 lb cooked sausage/bacon, respectively. Throw in pot, cook another 10 minutes or so.

Serve, eat, be a little disappointed. Reheat next day, be awed.

>>7036146
>peanut butter
calorie holocaust unless made from shitty peanut powder

>>7036549
>tfw I live in kansas and can't get fresh seafood
fml desu senpai
>>
Fresh Greek salad with a simple, homemade lemon vinegarette can be addictive. Sometimes I get on a kick for this thing for weeks at a time, completely decimate our small lemon tree outside.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.