[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
INDUSTRYTHREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
BOH chefs, cooks and prep bros get in here. Somms and maitre d's also welcome. Servers can suck a dick.

Give us your basic info and tell us some stories, ask questions, seek advice, share a plate you're proud of, etc.etc.
>>
>>7515323
>Servers can suck a dick

Fucking this. Just started in a restaurant and most of the servers just fucking complain and do nothing.
>>
tournant at a fine dining place in NYC

been there for almost 2 yrs. I love my coworkers and my chefs and the food is amazing. I've learned a lot and grew a lot there. I started off as an 18 year old crybaby who could barely cut through carrots with their dull ass culinary school knife, and over a year and a half later I've mastered all the stations and currently I'm learning some sous responsibilities like ordering and expediting.

Long story short, these guys took me in when i knew literally nothing and they molded me into something impressive. I owe them the world for not firing me a week in.

the other day, I ate at a 2 michelin star place just to see what it was like and it honesly was the ideal kitchen that i've always dreamed of working in . small, with a seating at 6 and one at 9, everything is beautiful, FOH and BOH collab to make everyone get their money's worth. The chef knew I was industry and personally served me all of my dishes, while the head somm personally gave me all of my wine pairings. After dinner, they gave me a menu, some recipes, and a few business cards and they basically said they were looking for a cook and they want me to stagé and see how i'd feel about working here. They warned me about the time commitments, the further murder of my already dead social life outside of work, and honestly i was aware of the sacrifices long before they warned me.

my trail is tomorrow. I restocked on equipment, sharpened the fuck out of my knives and had all my shit cleaned and ready to go.

I love my first restaurant like its my own, but i know i can't stay there forever, and this place is my ideal. Any cooks/chefs/workers at michelin star places have any advice when it comes to working or trailing there? Idk man, those stars always seemed so far away, couldnt ever imagine me being good enough to work somewhere like that and yet here we are.

So lay it on me dudes, what to expect, how should i act, etc. etc.
>>
File: 20160226_215357.jpg (171 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
20160226_215357.jpg
171 KB, 1600x900
You just have to work hard. Be ready to fail and learn everything you can. This will test you and you will find out if you really want to do this. If you suck get better, work for a year or two, take everything you learned and move on. Only way to be a better chef is to keep moving to gain more experience.
>>
>>7515370
I think you already know all the answers to what you're looking for. Just believe in yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (580 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
580 KB, 2048x2048
>>7515463
>>7515539
Ily anons. Thanks for the confidence boost and some legit advice

As a thank you you can have this pic of my arm after I got some rendered duck fat on me during Easter weekend service

Had to drain that shit in the bathroom after chef saw under my bandages before I was allowed on the line again lmao
>>
>>7515804
Don't do this anon. Never burst the blisters, the plasma inside is sterile and actually promotes healing, you are introducing infection by opening them.
>>
>>7515811
Theyre just trying to sabotage him to get him out of the kitchen
>>
>>7515804
Wow. Did it smell delicious at least?
>>
>>7515804
I fucking hate Mexcians sometimes.
>>
>>7515323
I'm a butcher. Can I join in?
>>
>>7515358
not to mention overpaid as fuck. in my restaurant, the full-time servers are making like 60-70k at least a year.
>>
File: IMG_6758.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6758.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7515804
Did the same thing with pork fat this christmas, i have these red scars all over my arm now.
>>
>>7515811
It was either i pop them into a garbage and wrap that shit up hardcore or I leave early on a busy Saturday because chef doesn't want to risk it leaking into the food. They were 8 seconds away from exploding anyway, the second I gently poked it the liquid basically poured into the garbage can haha

So gross desu breh

>>7515813
As much as chef misses working broiler/partial expo, there would've been no head expo, so I kind had to bite the bullet on that one

>>7515814
Smelled like idk bc I spent a solid 4 hrs not crying/cursing/pretending it was a light burn so chefs wouldn't flip shit

>>7515900
B-but anon my family's from Russia ;_;

>>7515932

Animal fats a real bitch ain't it

>>7515905
Fuck ye brah
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.