[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know nothing about whisky but I wanna give a bottle as a gift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I know nothing about whisky but I wanna give a bottle as a gift to some people i know. Does age matter? I've seen some really old bottles (like 25 years) that were around $100, should i go for something like that or is it a rip off? Any recommendations useful. Thanks!
>>
Yes, it does matter. It really depends on the tastes of the person you're buying for, though. If they've only had Jack Daniel's and Jameson, the $100 bottle is going to be a ripoff. Or if they're a person who only drinks scotch and you buy them an expensive bourbon, that's going to be a waste.

When I was a kid, there was a guy in the community who helped me a lot on a boy scout project I was working on. My mom heard he liked whisky, so she bought me a bottle to give to him as thanks. I gave it to him and he told me thank you but didn't seem particularly enthused. I know why, now. It was a bottle of Johnnie Walker red. Moral of the story is don't buy them a bottle unless you know their taste and have someone you trust advise you on your purchase.
>>
>>7445660
>trusting your mom to buy liquor
>>
Well i know they drink makers mark daily but they also had like an almost finished bottle of glenlivet in the booze cabinet
>>
>>7445599
>Any recommendations useful.

You might want to take a look at Japanese whisk(e)ys. I feel like there are a lot of people out there who still aren't familiar but there is some good stuff coming from them. Suntory (Hakushu, Hibiki, and Yamazaki) is the most readily available brand but there are other good ones, it all depends on how big and well stock your local liquor stores are.
>>
Get him old crow reserve, by far the best bourbon. Make SURE its reserve, don't cheap out
>>
>>7445802
>Well i know they drink makers mark daily but they also had like an almost finished bottle of glenlivet in the booze cabinet
Daily? Be careful about just supporting a bad habit. Just get more maker's mark.
>>
>>7445599

whiskey is like women

if it's under 10 years old it probably tastes like piss
>>
>>7445903
This, if they like bourbon then get them a nice bottle of bourbon. I'm a personal fan of Knob Creek and Four Roses Single Barrel but there's a lot of choices out there.
>>
>>7445894
Everyone knows about Japameme whiskey brah
>>
>>7445939
Jeesus thats gross
>>
>>7445599
>I know nothing about whisky but I wanna give a bottle as a gift to some people i know.

Give them Fireball. They'll understand.
>>
>>7445660
I think that depends on the drinker, there are people who drink just one kind of booze and stick with it and there's adventurous people who like new things.

One day I'm sipping good old cheap Evan Williams and the next I'm sipping on a fancy scotch. Variety is the spice of life etc.
>>
>>7445599
Give them Kraken, best whiskey Ive ever had
>>
>>7445802
Get the makers 46. It's fancy™
>>
>>7445599
need more context/info, OP

how much you looking to spend? this a fancy gift or people looking to get fucked up?
>>
File: Bookers-large.jpg (205 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
Bookers-large.jpg
205 KB, 1067x1600
>>7445802
If they like bourbon, just buy a $50 750ml bottle of Booker's. pic related

its uncut bourbon, tasty, & usually above 120 proof, but it depends on whats in the particular barrel that bottle came from..

makes a great gift. and it usually can be found with its wooden box.
>>
>>7447166
Do you mean the spiced rum? I haven't heard of a whisky called Kraken
>>
>>7445599
What kind of whiskey do they like?

For bourbon, bookers, blantons, and eagle rare are all good gift whiskerys. Bookers comes with the nice wooden box, blantons has the distinctive grenade shape with the horse topper, and eagle rare has nice packaging and a very good flavor profile for bourbon beginners.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.