[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Salmon beginner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 1200x801
I've always claimed to hate salmon, but everyone seems to love it.

I've been thinking and I'd say all the times I've eaten it, it had been prepared by my mother. So now I think maybe she was just doing it wrong.

So I'm gonna try my hand at salmon myself, any tips, recipes, herbs for an absolute beginner?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=725I12Ym9XE
>>
File: 1382808089418.jpg (83 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1382808089418.jpg
83 KB, 500x600
find the reddest salmon you can. farmed salmon is generallly pinker, but its also dependent on the specific species of salmon you get. The darker the better generally.

First time, just to see if you like salmon, keep it simple
salt pepper
get your pan hot,
should be light brown on the flesh side,
flip it over to cook the skin,
lower the heat when you flip it.
I recommend to medium well or medium if you're using fresh.
If you prefer well done, wait until white liquid starts to come out, then stop

I generally finish with wine, butter and lemon. Real simple, it'll let you know if you actually like salmon.

You have been assisted. Carry on citizen
>>
Both of these seem like great ideas.

Is salmon a good fish for marinating?
>>
Number 1 beginner easy thing to do is glaze it in this shit. Tastes great
>>
Get canned salmon from the store. Make salmon patties out of it. Add an egg, add a cup of breadcrumbs, mix the shit out of it, fry it.
>>
i like to use a glaze made from fresh orange juice, a little honey mustard, pepper, and something a little sour like dill or even celery seed

pour that stuff on the salmon when its nearing completion in the pan
>>
>>7388533
Tasted great, ty based anon
>>
>>7388522
If you're worried about messing it up you an just grill it.
Fried salmon can be arguably better but it would take an absolute idiot to mess up grilled/oven cooked salmon.
>>
With salmon, the less you do to it the better.

For fillets, a good quality olive oil, a strong dash of salt, plenty of crushed garlic and fry on a high heat for 2 minutes either side. Serve however you like.

Fennel goes really well, either thin slices or crushed seeds.
Paprika goes great.
As with most fish, sesame seeds with soya sauce and honey make a good asian style taste
Garlic, lemon, chives etc all possibilities.
>>
The deal here is that most people overlook it. It has an amazingly buttery texture and flavor when done perfectly. Obviously I'm not telling you to eat it rare, just to watch closely when cooking it. Stop the cooking right after the fat renders in the thickest part of the filet.
I much prefer wild caught, ocean salmon to canned, freshwater, or farm varieties.
Don't necessarily but the thawed fish from grocery stores unless you live on the coast. Fish are generally flash-frozen on the boat, so frozen is usually the same or better if you get good quality, with the added bonus of lasting longer in it's still-frozen state.
Best of luck and be sure to report back
>>
Do not buy farmed salmon. I repeat, DO NOT BUY FARMED SALMON.
Farmed salmon is often diseased and sick. The salmon flu virus has a 100% mortality rate. You do not want to eat diseased sickly animals.
These fish are often filled with puss, mucous, cysts, tumours, and all sorts of nasty shit.
Whatever you do, do not buy farmed salmon and do not support farmed salmon manufacturing! These farmed salmon pens have infected wild salmon stocks in BC! BC salmon is no longer safe to eat, farmed or otherwise! DO NOT trust the government or the corporations it gives cover to!
>>
>>7389386
how do you make the difference?
>>
>>7389189
I dunno man, if you're a novice, salmon can be easy to overcook, and that's probably why op doesn't like his moms salmon
>>
I'm not OP but I'm looking for a salmon idea as well.

I have 1 fillet I need to cook and I've never cooked salmon before. I was thinking about using my cast iron pan to do it, or just wrapping in foil and baking in the oven.

I found this:

allrecipes . com/recipe/34746/baked-salmon-ii/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringId=15850&referringContentType=recipe%20hub

how does that sound to everyone?
>>
>>7389619
just post the url.
>>
>>7389625

I had tried to post urls before and it said I couldn't so I don't take the chance any more. And is removing 2 spaces that hard for people?
>>
Just have some raw thin cut salmon on a piece of buttered break. Add a bit of pepper, maybe dill and you're set.
>>
https://youtu.be/vqaI2WPkbxI?t=9m20s

Marco Pierre White does a nice salmon,
>>
>>7389189
You say grill but then it's fried?
Are you on crack?
>>
>>7390446
Do you have comprehension problems anon?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.