[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
got in an argument with my grandma the other day when she told
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: shutterstock_260105645.jpg (21 KB, 440x293) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_260105645.jpg
21 KB, 440x293
got in an argument with my grandma the other day when she told me to eat more cheese(mozzarella specifically)
she said that i need the intake of calcium to make my bones strong, and vegetables alone wont help my with calcium, i did some research and found out that the best way to avoid calcium deficiency is not to boost calcium intake but to eat the right vegetables and foods that keep calcium in your system, example: meat eaters will pee out more calcium than vegetarians, do meat eaters have stronger bones, or vegetarians? also dairy and meat have been regarded as having a connection with heart disease and other disease. what do you guys think?

ps im a 22 male, does gender matter in this
>>
>>7340294
Don't eat acidic fruit and you'll be fine, yes bananas are acidic as well.
>>
File: fridge_fulla_milk.jpg (62 KB, 819x614) Image search: [Google]
fridge_fulla_milk.jpg
62 KB, 819x614
>do meat eaters have stronger bones, or vegetarians? also dairy and meat have been regarded as having a connection with heart disease and other disease. what do you guys think?

I find it hard to believe you're 22 if you have to ask questions like this.

The amount of calcium in your diet is the separation, not whether you eat meat or not.

Cholesterol has been regarded as having a connection with heart disease too, that doesn't mean it's bad. Stop being retarded and look at it objectively.

Also stop arguing with your grandma and being a bitch when she's offering you cheese.
>>
>>7340374
but what if cheese is bad?
>>
Between 25-30 we reach peak bone density, then bone begins to breakdown faster than it forms, but you should stil consume enough calcium for your age/gender after that. Broccoli has more calcium than milk
>>
File: I5oOmKZ.jpg (27 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
I5oOmKZ.jpg
27 KB, 499x499
>>
>>7340294
Dairy is bad for your bones. If it wasn't late at night, I would gladly find some of the sources I know of. But just google it, or ask the same question in a vegan-group on jewbook (I'm sure they got the sources ready).

Think about what dairy is; mother milk for another species. Seriously. It's not meant for us. And no, I'm not vegan. But a 22yo male aswell, who's 6'3". I wouldn't worry tho; it's rarely a problem. Even if you consume dairy.
>>
>>7340294
Your grandmother is worried about osteoporosis. Old people, particularly women get this, their bones become brittle and weak, and one fall lands them in the hospital for the last time.Conventional wisdom has been the increasing the consumption of dairy foods rich in calcium would keep calcium from being depleted in your bones as you age. Plenty of older women heard this on television and believe it.

Unfortunately no one has shown a correlation between consuming dairy and a decreased risk of the disease. Disturbingly, it seems most common in countries that consume the most dairy.

So grandma's belief could be completely wrong on this one. But it isn't your place to argue with her. Have some cheese with her, tell her you lover, then go figure out what you think about this for yourself.
>>
File: p258417226-3.jpg (103 KB, 295x450) Image search: [Google]
p258417226-3.jpg
103 KB, 295x450
>>7340443
she was raised in rural Russia, and was malnutrition as a child, which resulted in her having health problems, she has a wicked hunchback, she's better now, but once in a while her veins in particular places will be painful/ she'll have fatigue.
we're trying to work out the best diet/ meal schedule for her to help her.
>>
>>7340413
>Broccoli has more calcium than milk
1/2 cup of broccoli has 21mg of calcium, so one cup has 42mg.
One cup of skim milk has 300mg of calcium.

You are full of shit.
>http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Much-Calcium-182622
>http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-calcium.php

The problem with drinking too much milk is that it sometimes contains a substance in it, that in great quantities, can actually weaken bones, which pretty much counteracts the calcium and vitamin D. Drinking milk in moderation is fine, and cheese is also just fine.

If you wanna try to get your calcium from veggies instead of milk, then be my guest. But don't go around spouting obvious bullshit vegan propaganda.
>>
>>7340414

thank mr skeltal
>>
>>7340294
If you are American, your gender DOES matter. Men in general should get off off dairy products by the time the turn 18. They are pretty much done with bone growth, with America's dairy cows being pumped with estrogen, it makes cheese/milk less than desirable for a man's diet.

Look at fruits and veggies that have calcium, raw spinach is a good start.
>>
>>7340501
Sorry I've been awake since 4am, I was mistaken. But collards and almonds do contain a fair amount of calcium when consumed raw.
>>
if u care about bones, do high impact sport
unless u live in the dark or have a shit diet, the calcium will take care of itself
>>
>>7340528
It's fine, dude.
Also, collards and almonds are good raw, but make sure the almonds are commercially grown and not wild, because the wild ones contain a cyanide compound that can kill you. You can eat wild almonds if they've been cooked to properly denature the poison though.
>>
If you're a guy, you don't even need to think about this
If ur a grill, pls be in London, and also it matters
>>
Eat sardines nigga
Plenty of calcium in fishbones
>>
>>7340294
nothing is wrong with dairy and it's a healthy perfect source of calcium
>>
>>7340671
There is a lengthy list of physicians who would disagree with you. With American dairy cows injected with chemicals, these doctors are finding direct links between cancer and dairy consumption.

Asians are practically never heard of getting cancer, because of their minimal dairy intake. If you are a man over 18, stop all dairy products at once. And if you are a nwoman, seek hormone/chemical free dairy products.
>>
>>7340495
At her age with a history of malnutrition going in for the cheese isn't going to wreck her heart.

Enjoy her, and when she talks crazy remember you're lucky to have her.
>>
>>7340404
Cheese is never bad faggot.
>>
>>7340732
The leading cause of death for Asians is Cancer.

For everyone else it is heart disease.

What now?
>>
Eat grass fed butter. It has a vitamin (not sure if K1 or K2) that unlocks your bone matrix to allow calcium into your skeletal structure. Without this vitamin, the calcium just leeches into your soft tissues and causes problems. Buy lotsa kerrygold and eat up, anon.
>>
>>7340434
Think about what meat is; the vehicle for another living being. It's not meant for us.

Think about what grain is; the seed of a plant. It's not meant for us.

Think about what root vegetables are; organs for a plant's absorption and storage of nutrients. They're not meant for us.
>>
Don't pick fights with grandma or she'll make you eat cod liver oil.

She was taught from a young age that milk products were the only thing between her and her children having glass bones.
>>
>>7340829
I will tell you what white nigger...

The World Life Expectancy, lists Chinese leading cause of death as 1.Stroke 2. Heart Disease 3. Lung Cancer

Upon further research, cancer has taken the lead in deaths in Asians since 2015 for 2 reasons, the native Chinese are acquiring cancer due to smog/pollution related causes.

And for Asians in the US, they are getting cancer more, DUE TO BECOMING more AMERICANIZED IN THEIR DIETS.

Now, you go research hormones/chemicals being pumped into dairy cows, and its correlation to cancer. Men who consume US dairy products are much more likely to get fat bellies, and man-tits.
>>
>>7341038
Except leading causes of death are a lagged indicator variable that depict trends typically from ~30 - 40 years ago.

Dairy remains unpopular among the previous generation in Beijing, and remains difficult to market as anything but a luxury due to the fact that most asians are lactose intolerant.

Source: Business Analyst for major food company expanding into China

So no, Asians aren't suddenly eating a bunch of dairy.
>>
More milk = stronger bones
More meat = more muscle

rule of thumb
>>
>>7341060
yeah but milk doesn't help your bones, that's just an old wives tale. A myth. A legend. Something that somebody said once and didn't fact check it and it spread.
>>
>>7340294
>22 y/o male
>vegetarian

22 y/o male here, nobody in our age group considers you a male.
>>
>>7341505
U r a nig
>>
>>7340294
Leafy green vegetables like collards, kale, turnip greens, and mustard greens are loaded with calcium, iron, and other nutrients so the "keep it in your system" claim is partially a falsehood. Anyone will piss out excess nutrients, regardless of diet.

As for heat disease- Michael Clarke Duncan is the prime example that vegetarians don't get the benefit of a lower risk of heart disease/cardiac arrest.

The terms "meat eaters" and "vegetarians" are far too broad a brush to paint with since both diets can be extremely healthy-or unhealthy.

Tl;dr OP is a faggot and this is a bait thread
>>
>>7341038
>DUE TO BECOMING more AMERICANIZED IN THEIR DIETS
Causal link fallacy without research that proves this.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.