[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm taking a trip soon that will require a twelve hour layover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: heathrow-airport.jpg (243 KB, 800x374) Image search: [Google]
heathrow-airport.jpg
243 KB, 800x374
I'm taking a trip soon that will require a twelve hour layover in Heathrow on the return journey. What are some good nearby places to get pissed?
>>
The area around Heathrow is an economic wasteland. Your best bet is to find a cheap hotel deal, go to an off license and buy a bottle. Even with the cost of the room, it will be cheaper than traveling into London and getting pissed at an overpriced, shitty bar.

On the other hand, you could head into London and go to the Borough Markets if they're open, they have an amazing array of food and alcohol. Find the Somerset Distilleries stand and buy a bottle of Kingston Black aperitif, get a bag of ice from a local supermarket and drink the fuck out of it, it's essentially the nectar of the gods.
>>
File: bolton.png (232 KB, 481x573) Image search: [Google]
bolton.png
232 KB, 481x573
>>7275790
>the Borough Markets
Great, you've managed to make one of our culinary treasures sound like one of your obnoxious "sports" teams.
>>
>>7275771
>What are some good nearby places to get pissed?

Depends; can you actually leave the transit lounge?

If you can, you'll still have to actually go into London. Take the Heathrow Express; it's expensive but it'll dump you right in Paddington and you can get anywhere from there.
>>
>>7275822
How, pray tell?
>>
>>7275824
>heathrow express
>not just sitting on the Piccadilly Line for half the price
>>
>>7275790
>buy a bottle of Kingston Black aperitif, get a bag of ice from a local supermarket and drink the fuck out of it

No hobo
>>
>>7275837
It's Borough Market.
"The Borough Markets" sounds like "The Seattle Seahawks" or "The Minnesota Vikings" and so forth.
>>
>>7275846
>not just sitting on the Piccadilly Line for half the price and 4x the length of time
>>
>>7275849
Pair it with some fine wild boar chorizo to avoid the hobo look.

>>7275857
Fair enough, I don't really follow sports teams so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>7275846
The guy has a twelve hour window, man. It's twice the price because people like him have no alternative.
>>
>>7275869
>>7275859
It's 40 minutes to Leicester Square. By the time you've fucked around getting the Tube at Paddington you're really not saving any time.
>>
>>7275911
>It's 40 minutes to Leicester Square

Pray tell; why would he want to go to Leicester Square?
>>
>>7275926
Steak houses.
>>
File: 1452388887486.png (14 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1452388887486.png
14 KB, 184x184
So what I'm gathering is I need to go to London for anything worthwhile?
>>
>>7275997
Yes
>>
>>7275926
>>7275940
>not dim sum and bubble tea
>>
>>7275997
Yes, Heathrow was a village, there's nothing of note there except the airport and not anywhere worth visiting (for drinking at least) near-by except London.

If ti's night-time when you're there I wouldn't bother going into London at all. Just sit in an airport/hotel bar or sleep.
>>
I once got hammered in London during the Summer. I passed out and slept the night in Hyde Park. Nobody bothered me. I walked all around and caught a few rides drinking bottles of Glenlivet. I had about two days in London before catching a flight back to the good ol' USA.

I wanted to ride the Eye but the lines were crazy long.

Londoners may talk truck loads of shit online but they were all overly friendly to me in person - especially if you're sharing your whiskey!
>>
>>7275997
It's like any area with an international airport. Nobody wants to be so close to the noisy planes, so the only real commerce it has is related to the airport.
>>
>drinking in a pub in London
>not getting fucked on Sainsbury Cider in 3 liter plastic bottles on park bench
>>
>>7275926
Most obviously central station I could think of on the Piccadilly line.
>>
File: 1452468352465.png (10 KB, 495x791) Image search: [Google]
1452468352465.png
10 KB, 495x791
>>7276222
OP again, this sounds like the best option so far
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.