[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critique my plating /ck/. Tempura lobster roll (Tempura lobster,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 20160105_174726.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160105_174726.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Critique my plating /ck/. Tempura lobster roll (Tempura lobster, nori, sushi rice, black sesame seeds) topped with spicy mayo, spicy tuna (shaved ahi tuna, chili oil, sesame oil, chives), and yuzu/unagi sauce.
>>
>>7241616
Not even gonna lie, that's some sweet plating bruh.
>>
>>7241616

i don't hate it, but i don't love it.. it's ok. i DO hate the actual plate it's on, though. it makes it look like something you got from a cafeteria.

it might look cool to make the lines of sauce intersect with the rice/fish instead of being parallel to it on each side. i also think offsetting the single pieces of rice/fish and wasabi/ginger some more by moving one pair back a bit and the other forward.

greens of some sort would also be nice. maybe dot some of that mayo on the plate in dots descending in size following the curve of the plate.

i'd eat it, though
>>
File: 20151123_201641.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151123_201641.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>7241623
Thanks. I've been working on this particular plating style for 3 months now, attached is how it looked 2 months ago, you can see my progress. The hardest part right now is getting it to come out exactly like the picture every time and doing it in a reasonable time. The chili oil and yuzu/unagi on the plate is such a pain to get right, still working on my squeeze bottle skills. I average about 4m30s for this particular roll, was at around 6m 2 months ago.
>>
>>7241646
Hey, the culinary arts are treat on all senses, visual included. Presentation takes time to master. Most of my food banks on the fact that indecipherable schlop is usually assumed to be good.

This one the other hand is real classy deal. Some bourgeois shit right here. Keep up the good work bruv.
>>
>>7241636
Unfortunately I can't choose the plates.

The lines start at the end pieces and extend outward just close enough to touch the outside edge of the two outlier pieces. They used to run parallel but I didn't really like it. I like the idea of the mayo dots, I'll have to think about it a bit. The idea of greens is great, I'll have to talk to my head chef about it. We get microgreen mizuna sent to us accidently once in awhile, I'll probably use that to show him the idea and go from there. Maybe I can do a fancy chive thing, idk.
>>
>>7241656

word, i see that. i'd like to see them intersect at even more of an angle and extend past those pieces i think.

the dots of mayo might go hard in the lines of sauce, such as in pic related. chives would DEFINITELY go hard on that plate, like two crossed 1" pieces of chive on each bite would look really nice. or you can take scallions, cut the one side and lay it out flat so it's a rectangle, julienne, and throw in ice water so they curl up. that would also look nice.

you could also play with doing the sauce with a spoon rather than a squeeze bottle depending on how viscous it is; take sauce in spoon, put the spoon almost onto the plate and tip it to the side, so the side of the spoon contacts the plate. in one fluid motion you let it pool a bit, and then quickly drag it toward you, so you get a small pooled section with a nice beautiful line that gets smaller and smaller as it goes across the plate.
>>
>>7241674
Currently the chives are mixed in with the tuna, maybe if I add them on top instead of mixing it in it'll jump out. The scallions idea would be super simple to try out because we already have that on the line as a garnish for calamari. I'll try that spoon idea out but I'll definitely have to practice it because the consistency of the liquids are very different. The chili oil is very thin while the yuzu/unagi is very thick.

Thanks for all the suggestions, exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>7241616
Almost there but it's still too much 1 roll less and a bit more spacing and you are there
>>
>>7241616
The two orphan rolls are kinda weird, are they different at all?
>>
>>7241646
This looks awful, you've improved a lot.

Will second the ugly plate, though, but no matter.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.