[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into drinking sake but I've only had the swill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: sake.jpg (131 KB, 995x470) Image search: [Google]
sake.jpg
131 KB, 995x470
I want to get into drinking sake but I've only had the swill they service hot at sushi bars. Any typical "starter" sake out there?
>>
>>7804700
I do not consider myself a sake expert, but I do know a little bit.

First off, pay attention to where you get your sake. If you live in the west somewhere it can hard to get the good stuff. Not because of the brand, but because sake does not store well. It needs to be drunk shortly after bottling. The fresher the better. And most places in the west don't sell very much sake. so the bottles you see at the store might have been sitting there for months. before they got to the store they might have sat for months in the distributor's or importer's warehouse. So it's best to buy it from somewhere that has a high turnover. In my area that's asian supermarkets--that stuff tastes far better than the single dusty bottle sitting the forgotten corner of the local liquor shack.
>>
>>7804715
We have BevMo's where I live, so I think it's safe to say their rotation is probably just a step above a liquor/convenience store.
>>
>>7804700
Good sake is served hot in winter, although bad sake is always served hot
>>
>>7804700
I feel for you OP, I don't know shit about sake, but I do like it. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere where great stuff can be found and I've got a couple of friends who know their shit. It sounds like you're going to have to do your own research and then find a place that sells a bunch. You could pick up the "Sake Handbook" John Gauntner. It might cost a lot by KLwines probably carries sake.
>>
>>7804722

I have no idea what a BevMo is, sorry. It's not about how upscale the shop is. It's about how many customers they have who buy sake.

For example, where I live we have a fantastic liquor store chain called Spec's. They have a truly massive selection, easily the best liquor store I've ever been to. But they don't sell much sake so it's usually old. The shithole Korean market down the road from them, however, sells sake every day. Theirs is much better quality.
>>
I only bought a jar of sake once. It was extremely sweet, like pancake syrup. I could barely finish it.
>>
>>7804970
You bought mirin dummy
>>
>>7804998
No I buy mirin all the time for my stir fry. This was plum sake.
>>
>>7805073
>>plum sake

Umeshu? Very different than "sake".
>>
>>7805082
Yea umeshu is supposed to be cut with something. Thats like drinking liquer straight up. Its only like 15-20% alcohol
>>
Like anything new you need to develop a pallet. Buy and try anything you can get your hands on. Take note of what it is and what you like and then start looking for others that are similar.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.