[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I made this giant Chaos Space Marine armor over the past year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: ironwarrior_02.jpg (468 KB, 968x1296) Image search: [Google]
ironwarrior_02.jpg
468 KB, 968x1296
So I made this giant Chaos Space Marine armor over the past year and I'm planning to compete in a pretty big cosplay competition next month. What do you guys think? Am I fucked or does it look good enough to win anything? Constructive criticism is always welcome. :)
>>
File: ironwarrior_01.jpg (473 KB, 968x1296) Image search: [Google]
ironwarrior_01.jpg
473 KB, 968x1296
here's a picture of me wearing only half the armor so you can kinda see the size of it. I'm about 5'8 tall without the giant shoes, and roughly 6'6 with everything on.
>>
That's very impressive! Is it hard to move around in? I'd say you have a pretty good shot at winning something.
>>
File: ironwarrior_00.jpg (469 KB, 968x1296) Image search: [Google]
ironwarrior_00.jpg
469 KB, 968x1296
>>9065845
It's a bit clunky to move. I wont be running any marathons in it, but I think a slow, lumbering walk suits the costume anyway.

Also, thanks for the kind words!
>>
>>9065839
Beautiful paint job! I've seen Space Marines win at big cons. The "big costume" factor is always a good one to have. I would say just make sure to talk about all the best points in prejudging and have 2-3 good poses for on stage. Show as much mobility as you can.
>>
>>9065839
>Iron Warriors

Mah nig. Do you have any props? A bolt pistol/bolter or chainsword would add to the authenticity. Is the legion's insignia on the left pauldron? Can't tell because of the angles.
>>
Depends on the judges and the contest. Space Marine armor is like Halo armor or Kamui boob armor IMO. Lots of tutorials and patterns online so it makes it a little less impressive since a lot of the effort can be taken away if your just following a tutorial and printing out other people's work. Not to sound like a bitch. Just something the judges could take into consideration.
>>
>>9065853
I'm making a bolt pistol right now actually. And no, the left pauldron is just black. I might put on the insignia, but I kinda like it as it is.
>>9065857
I totally get what you're saying, and it's definitely something I've thought about. I've just focused on scoping out the competition at nearby cons and trying to outdo them as much as possible to make sure my armor is a cut above the others. I guess we'll just have to see if it's enough!
>>
File: IMG_0543.jpg (544 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0543.jpg
544 KB, 1224x1632
Oh, and here's a picture of what the same armor looked like a few months ago. I sure am glad it turned out the way it did.
>>
>>9065861
If it was me, I'd put the insignia there for lore reasons, but that's just me.

The hazard stripe cloth seems an odd choice too. I don't think I've ever seen any illustrations/depictions of any Iron Warriors with them. Another cool prop to help you stand out could be some kind of legion standard. A big, fuck-off desecrated pole with the star of Chaos atop it, with blood and (what looks like) tattered flesh hanging from it.

Don't forget to memorize your Unbreakable Litany too.
>>
File: Barabas_Dantioch.jpg (34 KB, 404x479) Image search: [Google]
Barabas_Dantioch.jpg
34 KB, 404x479
>>9065870
I was inspired to add the cloth after seeing this model of Barabas Dantioch. Granted it is a cape in his case, but I thought it looked cool on something made of fabric.
We'll see what I have time for, but any and all suggestions are of course welcome. : D A standard would be awesome, but it might be a bit cumbersome to carry around.
>>
File: loincloth.jpg (166 KB, 800x907) Image search: [Google]
loincloth.jpg
166 KB, 800x907
>>9065870
>>9065879
What do you know! Right after I posted that picture I found another image of Barabas with a loincloth like the one on my armor! It may not be canon, but at lease this kind of validates my aesthetic choices... At least I hope it does.
>>
do you plan to add a more colored visor to the eyes? i dont know if Iron Warriors have them like that since i'm just used to seeing them Green or Red
>>
I think the cloth could use more damage and wear. Tea bags can dye the cloth to a darker, more muted tone. Some blood 'n mud along the bottom like >>9065883 would be nice to see too.
>>
>>9067056
also using coarse sandpaper on it will give it a frayed old look!
>>
Put some LEDs on it if youre trying to win, guaranteed high scores from judges
>>
>>9065839
I just want to say I'm working on an overside power armor thing of my own right now and I can only dream it ends up barely as good as yours, that just looks fantastic
I'd say go for it, this definitely has potential to be at the very least a top contender if not down right winning without too much trouble
A bolter pistol and/ or chainsword that look as good as this armor would imo for certain seal the deal as winner in any competition
>>
>>9065839

It looks great! But I would add some detail and some variety to the textures and colors to make it stand out even more. As other people have suggested, add the insignias. I think adding purity seals would be a nice touch - the red seals would add another color and visual interest.

And adding a prop is a must, but you already mentioned you're making a bolt pistol.
>>
It already looks a bit weathered but I agree with folks saying it could use more damage and wear. You're not some parade ground smurf, you're a hard wrought chaos mehreen.

But it looks really awesome. For someone whose never done cosplay before, whjat's your armor made of?
>>
File: ironwithinbro.jpg (141 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
ironwithinbro.jpg
141 KB, 894x894
>>9065839
IRON WITHIN

IRON WITHOUT
>>
>>9065862
What material is it from?
Anyway looks wonderful
>>
I like the look of it, depending on what contest you're entering, I know some care more about construction than others, but since there are a lot of tutorials for space marines, be sure to describe in detail the stuff that you did with out guidance, and emphasize what parts of the project were new skills for you or your first time doing something.
>>
You're Swedish, aren't you?

I think you could do pretty OK in a competition and if nothing else these types of costumes tend to get a lot of attention while you're walking around.
>>
>>9065857
THIIIIIIS so much. I have been a cosplay judge for almost 10 years now, these younger judges are very impressed with work like OP's. "WOW a full suit of armor!" they say. Anyone who's been in this hobby long enough knows there are now tutorials that tell you exactly how to do these costumes, and even give you the patterns.

In that case, I look at how clean the work is up close. (Like sewing a costume from a pre-bought pattern with no alterations.) If you have altered your patterns in any way, TELL THE JUDGE. If you have improved on it, mention it.
>>
>>9068216
Would I get extra brownie points for soldering leds, moving parts, actually coding the script for the microcomputer controller said parts?
>>
> cosplay contest
> based on a general type of character, rather than an specific one
> with an altered design, at that

no.
>>
>>9065843
This one looks like you skipped leg day hard.
>>
>>9065839
I'm biased because I love huge 40k space marine suits. As long as you aren't competing against gods of crafters you'd at least be in my top 3. Good luck!
>>
In all fairness, meh. It's cool to see around, but you got the pattern off the internet and you didn't even change the inherent problems it has with proportions.
All the suits I've seen (including yours) suffer from babby arms. So you should have reduced the length of the legs and size of the shoulders or made false arms. It may not have ended up scale accurate but it would have looked better as a whole.
As a personal choice I'd have gone for a beaky marine.
>>
>>9069182
>As a personal choice I'd have gone for a beaky marine.

He's Chaos though

Iron Warriors especially never use beakies
>>
>>9068144
Not OP, but it seems like thick EVA foam. OP correct me if I'm wrong, for I too am curious as to what you're using.
>>
Very nice so far, definitely has potential to win depending on who you're up against, but, it has stub-arm-syndrome. I'd suggest making extended arms with larger hands, then make a system of strings that, when pulled by your ding by a tab, cause the finger to curl in. You could also make one hand and the bolt pistol have magnetic plates to help the gun stay in the hand.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.