[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A-are premade costumes a no-no in the cosplay world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1446583495479.gif (1 MB, 390x317) Image search: [Google]
1446583495479.gif
1 MB, 390x317
A-are premade costumes a no-no in the cosplay world
>>
>>9057323
If you want to join in competitions? yes. In general? No.

Just don't be salty when people who make their own costumes get more praise than you even if they look a little worse.
>>
>>9057323
>cosplay world
what planet is that?
>>
>>9057323
>stuttering in your post because it's so kawaii desu ne just like mai waifu :3

kys
>>
Just don't claim you made it. No one should care.
>>
>>9057323
No, and it's actually the norm where I grew up.
Not sure why it is looked down upon in the US, but I can understand that you should NOT be using a costume you did not make in a competition that judges sewing/crafting skills in any way, and should not claim to have made it yourself in general.
>>
>>9057432
I don't get it either, it's normal in japan etc, but somehow here you aren't a real cosplayer unless you made it yourself.
>>
File: y so srs.jpg (22 KB, 430x383) Image search: [Google]
y so srs.jpg
22 KB, 430x383
I think it's fun seeing a home-made one obviously walking around.
>>
Now a days. It's pretty much okay. Especially now that it's more readily available and you can find decent quality ones. It's especially common in the idol cosplay community. I see more prepare stuff posted then home made things in the US love live group on Facebook.

As long as you're not claiming you made it, or entering it in a craftsmanship competition. You're fine.
>>
>>9057432
I think it has to do with because it is so accessible there. They have stores dedicated to it. Whereas here ordering online is very hit or miss. Commissioners scam a lot as well. So there's a bit of a stigma. Giving a bit of a unsaid rule of it's better when you make it.
>>
>>9057327

It's interesting you say that because I've seen a huge swing in the opposite direction, especially if the person in the bought costume is cuter.

I've noticed a lot more oldfags getting salty about younger cosplayers buying their costumes and getting attention.
>>
>>9057486
They all sound like grandma's going "BACK IN MY DAY YOU HAD TO MAKE YOUR OWN FABRIC"
>>
No one cares as long as you don't claim that you made it and don't win any awards with it.
>>
gonna be honest, I can not make a costume cheaper than I can buy pre-made. part of that is buying better fabric but also, people who make pre-made buy fabric and accents in bulk with discounts and churn them out.

if you are trying to compete in contests or win prizes, you have to have made it. if you're just walking around or having fun with friends, do whatever makes you happy.

personally, i do both
>>
I don't think there's anything wrong with buying costumes, but just like everyone else said don't say that you made it yourself and competitions won't allow you to enter with them.

I did a group cosplay recently where two of us made ours and two bought theirs, which was totally fine, but every time we got complimented on our costumes and people would stop us to talk about how we made everything the two who bought theirs would take responsibility for everything (costume, props, and wigs, which were all bought) and would try to bullshit how they made them. It was probably one of the most obnoxious things I've ever seen in cosplay I didn't want to embarrass them so I didn't call them out in front of people but I'm never working with them again.
>>
This one always comes around on those cosplay positivity fb pages, lol.
>>
I understand that many get upset when people enter manufactured costumes into contests that judge based on craftsmanship. If those types of costumes win, it's the manufacturer that rightfully deserves the credit, not the person wearing the costume.

Equally so, when asked about the costume, it is very impolite to try taking credit. The right thing would be to accept the compliment and tell the person, "I'm glad you like it, I actually bought the costume, I didn't make it. If you are interested, I can refer you to the creator."

Otherwise, there's no issue. If it looks good, it looks good. It allows people with no time or craft skills to feel more a part of their community and enjoy conventions to a larger extent.

Now, for those who made their accessories, modified a manufactured costume, and styled/cut the wig, that's a big grey area. To some extent, they can rightfully take credit for making the costume work.
>>
They're totally fine, as long as you don't take credit for it.

Make sure it's good quality! That's the only negative to buying pre-made costumes.
>>
I just wish I knew how to make kit.

I should have paid more attention when I did textiles in school.
>>
>>9059123
theres tons of tutorials online, esp on youtube. make a tutorials thread if one hasnt been made?
>>
File: be2.jpg (122 KB, 556x600) Image search: [Google]
be2.jpg
122 KB, 556x600
>>9057425
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 253x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 253x245
If your entering competitions then no, but im not sure how half premade and half made yourself are seen. If your just cosplaying to do it, then who cares.
>>
>>9057323
Only on if you're planning on entering a competition.
>>
I thought premade costumes were always poor in quality. Where do people find good quality ones?
>>
>>9057323
unless you are a terbonerd or lolita, no
>>
>>9058989
This is what I do to mine. I even go so far to make sure to keep a supply of the maker of my cosplay's card so that I can give it to the person that asks about it. This in turn has gotten them ALOT of business coming thru and they made me a free cosplay as thanks.

Just as long as you give credit where it's due and don't try to pass it off as your own, you should be good.
>>
>>9057432
It's looked down a lot in Canada as well. I had someone shit on a seifuku I purchased since I didn't make it when his pants were purchased from Walmart and his mother had made the rest of the costume.

>>9057511
Someone else bitched at me for not making my own bias tape for my other costume.
>>
Those of you who buy cosplays, where do you like to get them? Stolen images and sketchy milanoo type stuff have made me wary of buying, but lately I haven't had the time/energy to make my own.
>>
>>9064939

Either online or they commission it, but they cost ass loads of money
>>
>>9065069
Both my vegeta and goku costumes came from amazon, so its pretty alright.
>>
>>9064939
I wonder this as well. I've never cosplayed before and while I'm slowly teaching myself to use a sewing machine atm, I doubt I'll be costume-making anytime soon...but I'd still like to give cosplaying a try. I just don't know enough about it to know where to find decent comissions yet, either.
>>
>>9065069
Places like QQcosplay, EZcosplay and CosplayFU are ones I would look at. You have to wade thru a bit of bad but there are some good outfits in there.
>>
I'll take a stab at this since I've heard it talked about a lot recently. The vast majority of cosplayers don't care. People who don't cosplay, even less so. But there are tailors out there that try to make a living off of cosplay outfits and cheap Chinese commissions make it hard for them to sell theirs at "American Labor" rates.

For others, cosplay is an art, something they have invested a lot of time and money into perfecting from makeup to styling wigs. Now you can buy wigs pre-styled and there are a lot of resources available that they had to learn through trial and error.

Long story short, some people don't like it because you're cutting into their profits. Others don't like it because you used your wallet rather than your skills (even though making your own costume is by no means cheaper)

As for reliability, I've used 3 different cosplay commissioners. Two turned out great, and one was a fail-fest.
>>
>>9064939
There are plenty of nice costumes to be found on Taobao. I would really only trust Taobao, commissioners with good reviews, and Japanese stores.
>>
I don't have a problem with people buying costumes, but I think it's stupid when people who do complain about how difficult and how much hard work cosplay is. It's not hard to google a costume and click buy, and you're an idiot if you think it's something to brag about. It's okay to buy your costumes, but don't think it makes you more special or a better cosplayer than anyone else. Building a profile off costumes you didn't make is just shitty and lazy imo, it's wanting recognition for nothing.
>>
>>9065291
>vast majority of cosplayers don't care
This.

It can cost about the same amount to make versus buy depending on the materials for lower end stuff and some people just don't want to bother with the build process.

Also way easier to get everyone in a group to be consistent especially if you have a uniform. Its always sad to see a an Ouran group with mismatched jackets.

That being said a lot of bought costumers rarely do much to "finish" their costume like flat skirts that need a petticoat, floppy fabric tophats that need a stiffner or wigs that need cutting and light styling.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.