[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Over Hyped Cosplay Photographers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
Post cosplay photographers who love themselves way to much. Over cocky, e-fame hungry, sad little people.
I'll start. #premiumcontent, aka Elys**m.
>>
>>9052834
salt general?
>>
>>9052834
This thread is bait for sure but just so everyone knows don't book with Dave Yang. He only edits your photos if you're his friend. I got mine back completely untouched after about 3 months of waiting. I guess he forgot about them. Not that I really care about skin smoothing, special effects, etc but it was part of his $175 package.
>>
>>9052834
emcp
>>
Martin Wong, did a photo shoot with a friend since he asked me to be the female protagonist from the series to his male. My friend left to grab something and he wanted some solo shots of me, and holy shit he is such a fucking asshole. Kept screaming at me and even grabbed my arm and forced me to stand against a wall for a pose. He has serious anger issues and I feel bad that most people don't know. :(
>>
>>9052945
>I'm okay with being physically and emotionally abused by strangers
hey bby ;)
>>
>>9052834
god this is a fucknig awful photo of stella. her eyes are so unfocused.
>>
>>9052986
I wasn't okay with it. I walked away from the shoot after he grabbed my arm and pushed me. I now know to always carry my pepper spray on me.
>>
>>9052945
He's in his early-mid thirties so it doesn't surprise me that he was so aggressive, he knows he's aging out and losing popularity.
>>
>>9052914
holy shit if I paid $175 I'd be pissed
that's basically nondelivery
>>
>>9052914
What the fuck? Call him out... tell other cosplayers. Other photographers won't hate if you call him out. I personally am not fond of him.
>>
Holy crap, aging out? How about he's a dick, and don't make excuses because of his age. I've seen some amazing older photographers. Smh
>>
>>9053040
>>9053070
He even asked me during the shoot if there was anything I'd like edited and how comfortable I am with editing... I said I was fine with whatever editing he was going to do--granted I thought he'd at least follow through with editing them at all.

I just saw his work and thought he was a nice photographer, but I got my photos back and was sad. I don't really cosplay that often anymore so I just didn't bother with it. The photos themselves aren't bad but I could get the same thing done by a friend for little to nothing.
>>
>>9052834
Kek. This person is so full of their self. The type of photographer who only shoots the famous cosplayers and ignores you otherwise. His editing skills are so lackluster
>>
anyone shot with U.V? he never post his rates publicly.
>>
>>9053031

just curious, are you typically allowed to carry pepper spray at conventions? seems like something cons and convention centers would ban.
>>
This thread should be called, Elysiam wouldn't shoot me, so now I need to make a thread about him and disguise it as a topic about overhyped costogs, lol
>>
>>9054450
No harm no foul. If you have to bust it out it means something went sideways and the con staff will probably let it slide given the circumstances. If you get found out before something happens they'll be less lenient
>>
>>9054320
I personally wouldn't shoot with him. He has talent but his personality is shit. He regularly complains about his clients, mostly about them asking him how long it will take him to edit photos and then bumps them to the end of the list. If you annoy him he puts your photos at the end of the list to be edited so you have to wait even longer.
>>
>>9054508
Hes a cosfamous chaser, shitty flare abusing tog
>>
JwaijDesign. Cosfamous chaser and hovers around their friends. Idk if he still does, but he used to throw his money around to buy friendship. We have plenty of mutual friends, but he won't talk to you unless he knows you're somehow connected to someone cosfamous.
>>
>>9054504
what year are you from? 2013? Elysian hasn't been relevant. stop self posting.
>>
>>9054554
Lmao but anon if he's not relevant then why bother making a post saying he's over hyped???
Biggest contradiction
>>
is it possible to become a well known cosplay photographer without taking courses for it? or will people not take me serious without some kind of credentials?
>>
>>9054576
In the art world it's a combination of skill, marketing, and networking that gets you success. No one is going to check to see if you got a degree in whatever you're doing.
>>
I got fans stalking me after Mineralblu share a pic and tagged my real FB profile
>>
>>9054624
Mineralblu tags everyone and everything because he's a like-whore.
RIP you. My condolences.
>>
>>9052945
He's literally the best photographer I've ever worked with. This was a few years ago but yeah.
>>
>>9054677
Hi Martin, see a therapist for your anger issues yet?
>>
>>9052945
He's only nice to the "famous" cosplayers, but he's an ugly manlet gook so it's nbd.
>>
>>9054718
>>9054633
>>9054550
sounds like someone is jealous of the cosfamous
>>
File: 2f9.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
2f9.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>this thread
>>
>>9053033
>he knows he's aging out and losing popularity

True for women mostly, not so much for men.
>>
>>9054898
sounds like you're not a cosplayer
>>
Beethy Photography
>>
Photogkun
>>
Jason Laboy is outshining them all now. He even recently got listed as one of the top 10 influential people in geekdom.
>>
>>9052834
Looks like she's being shot by her husband Jeffrey M. He's a photog too and constantly posting his stuff bragging about how honored he is to shoot Stella and friends. Bitch you're married to her of course she has to invite you to shoot
>>
>>9055503

Means she doesn't need to pay too
>>
Yees, these stories make me glad I only shoot with the two togs I'm good friends with. I love their photography and they like the fact that I actually know how to pose and don't just stand there with a costume on like a sack of potatoes. I'm shooting with a big name (well, big name in my country) in summer though, I'm a little nervous about that. He's an absolutely lovely guy but his pictures will get seen by a lot more people than what I'm used to.
>>
Anna fisher
>>
>>9053000
to be fair stella is a butterface anyway
>>
>>9054525
Would you say it’s almost as if you could see a bunch of … UV rays in his photos?
>>
>>9055464
He's great, fun to work with and open to ideas. Unsure about his rates though
>>
All of the following are overhyped with egos to match

Dave Yang
Anna Fischer
Elysium
Jason Chau
U.V.
Mineralblu
White Desert Sun
Martin Wong
Jeffrey Marriot
EMCP
Ron Gejon
Jaycee Estrella
Dhareza Cosplayza
Edward Fotography
Jason Laboy
World of HSL
Ron Ladao
ChezPhoto
Cozpho Photography
Unseelie Allure
Lauren Pihl/Aoife Photography
Cantera Photography
Sweet Sensation
BGZ
Big White Bazooka
Geeked
>>
Vander Photography Ego's so big he offers 'free' shoots in Boston. Where all the wannabes in the area flock and muck up the Commons etc. Then he only shoots the same people he has always. The rest are prey to the shit tier cosplayer/photographers
>>
>>9055866
I had a shoot with him recently. Pretty disappointed with the final photos but he did give me like 20 photos at least.
>>
>>9055877
Yea he's average he's nothing special but he feeds on the cos wannabees.
>>
>>9055866
Where is the hype though? He's very much a bottom tier
>>
>>9056015
He appeals to cos wannabes which are plentiful in New England. Those stupid free shoot events have a good 200 or so nitwits attending. He's not as Hype as like Wong, but he's hyped up by the wannabes pretty bad here.
>>
>>9054320
UV returned two great photos, a good number of good photos, and a few photos that were well photographed but very unflattering. I was content but not ecstatic.
>>
No love for AssB? Overrated and grade A racist.
>>
>>9055866
Is he the photographer that offers the lightning shoots? The one minute shoots for a low fee.
>>
>>9055402
holy shit this.

A bunch of friends worked with him at a con last year and got 3 really shitty half-assed edits from him only after they opened PayPal claims to get their money back. Like, the photos all look so bad.
>>
>>9055674
kek lauren pihl is long gone. just let it go.
>>
>>9054550
He's always been mega nice to me, and I'm pretty much a nobody with a little over 3K likes. Not trying to white knight or anything, but he legit seems like a sweet dude and is fun to chat with.
>>
>>9056296
are you a cute cosplayer? yes? there's your answer
>>
>>9056309
^ this. try being a male and genuinely talk to this ass about cosplay/phototography. he wants none of that shit
>>
Does anyone know kings cosplay? He's one of the only photographers I see posting regularly from in the Midwest, but a friend told me not to bother approaching him if I won't do lingerie.
>>
File: images-9.jpg (13 KB, 463x318) Image search: [Google]
images-9.jpg
13 KB, 463x318
>>
>>9056214
IDK, I doubt it though. He overcharges a fair bit considering his 'skill' level.
>>
File: Tifa'sLesson (4).jpg (192 KB, 847x1000) Image search: [Google]
Tifa'sLesson (4).jpg
192 KB, 847x1000
ITT we bash people who are way too talented and good looking to have anything to do with us.
>>
Liam / Riamux Creations

Many people have waited over a year for their photos back, he only shoots you if you're willing to get nude. A shame, he's really nice.
>>
Tore Neal's shit is over rated and he brings a click to the con thats very much into themselves so gtfo.
>>
>>9055674
Just a list of every cosplay photographer, and a few cosboyfriends with cameras. So many butts so little lube.
>>
Anna Fischer has a miropenis.
>>
>>9055402
You can clearly see that he is not friends with Yasemin (Vera Chimera , whatever) anymore because he doesn't take any of her photos anymore.
Now he does some shitty nude photos.
I'm surprised that Jnig didn't pay for more plane tickets for him.
>>
This is what happens when the cosfamous are now cam whores and strippers
>>
>>9055464

I like his photos but I've heard stories about him crashing gatherings or other people's private shoots
>>
>>9055464
His shots are mediocre, and needs to learn how to use lightroom and edit desu
>>
>>9056995
What
The
Fuck
Is that?
>>
>>9056995
"3 people got to shoot this Pokedommes set as designed by Stella Chuu and Dangrrr Doll. I was happy to be one of them."

Fuck you
>>
>>9056872
why would she when she has her boyfriend to do her photos now and Martin Wong flies to just about every con just to shoot her?
>>
>>9055093
kill yourself, people age like shit no matter what gender unless you take extreme care of yourself - the "durr men age better" meme is so tiring. If it's careers you're talking about, plenty of busted up men with nothing on their plate at 40, too.
>>
>>9057028
Yep, imagine if Stella's husband couldn't shoot this. The amount of whine in that apartment could fill the dead vineyards of France's history
>>
>>9056995
what a horrible fucking photo.
>>
>>9055674
Anna Fischer. she did some fetish work that involved licking doll crotches in a video. KEK. she's seriously ugly IRL and such a snob for no reason
>>
>>9055674
really though, chezphoto? Why....
>>
>>9056995
This is such an horrible excuse for a photograph. People at my artschool do better than this shit.
>>
File: AnnaFischer.jpg (107 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
AnnaFischer.jpg
107 KB, 900x600
>>9055674
those great photog skills
>>
File: POS.png (81 KB, 390x537) Image search: [Google]
POS.png
81 KB, 390x537
this. anyone remember this giant scam
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/annafischer/the-wild-places/description
>>
>>9057199
If you compare that shit fest with the journey beyond its not that bad. At least Anna didn't fly beethy over for no reason.
>>
>>9055464
Photogkun is SO FULL OF HIMSELF! He is a whiny little bitch too.
>>
>>9057003
He crashed a group shoot and complained a lot that he couldn't get good angles. He was not the photog invited for the shoot.
>>
>>9057089
>>9057107
So much is wrong with this photo, like did this guy just get a camera, and try to convince people to pay him for this shit?
>>
>>9057199
Yep, this one and that superhero guy from the UK that everyone was on about for a while about his Injustice shoot that made a lot of money which was why Anna did her own Kickstarter too. Both of them scammed people out of 20K give or take. At least Anna had a few photos out before her drive was "damaged" then Kotaku claimed she finished the project when she sent out her crappy 13 page books that were postcard sized.

The DC Injustice one only released like 3 images and then claimed DC issued a cease and desist.
>>
>>9057371
What's wrong? The boobs are perfectly lit and highlighted. The whole photo draws your attention to the boobs. Very fappable.
>>
>>9057108
Is this photoshoot or a photo from the masquerade?
>>
>>9055674
Stop it Felix Wong
>>
>>9057053
I second this. Men don't age better than women at all. It's pathetic and hilarious at the same time when they think they do though..
>>
File: IMG_0101.jpg (69 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0101.jpg
69 KB, 600x414
>>9057053
>>9057782

Don't be so naive. Men and women are attracted to different things about the other. Women aren't as hung up on looks as men are.

As far as Martin Wong is concerned, he is a photographer, not a cosplayer with a sexy body. "Aging out" is a ridiculous statement.
>>
>>9057755
good call. can't leave out CosplayTMZ. fcker is probably the OP
>>
>>9056995
see I like the ass and titites part but from a technical point of view this is the most boring ass shit. like really? lol dutch angle. There isn't even bokeh to at least distract the eye from the flat background. its so.. i don't know its so and i hate to sound all social justice warrior, but 'male gaze' driven (TITIES IN CENTER OF FRAME LOOK FELLOW MEN) that its bland.
>>
UV still owes me pics from last year that I paid for while his parent fly him off to different cons to hang out with f'n elitist cosplayers
>>
Daniel Lin and Vander both have rotting teeth
>>
>>9054450
Yes, D.C. is the only state that requires one to send in a registration form to the police department.

Most states have zero restrictions, some states have restrictions requiring the container to be clearly labeled, under 2.5 ounces or 150CC depending on state, and less then 10% OC. Only one state bans pepper spray on school property for those under 21. A couple states ban known drug addicts, minors, and convicted felons from usage.

If you have a 2 ounce bottle of pepper spray clearly labeled with less then 10% OC, you'll be in the clear.

Pepper spray can be carried anywhere but if you use it because you are 'creeped out', that's illegal. (In other words, you can't use it if all a person is doing is following you.) A person has to show use of force in order to justify its use. Grabbing someone and shoving them can warrant the use of pepper spray if the person attacked feels they could not otherwise leave the situation.
>>
>>9058104
Adding to my post, improper usage of pepper spray is illegal in many states.

Using it on an undeserving person, displaying it as a threat, and in some cases, showing it around boasting could warrant improper usage.
>>
And I suppose D.C. is not a state... oh well. D.C. is the only jurisdiction that requires registration. I have some pepper spray...

The label says, "Terminator", right below it states, "They won't be back." It warns me not to use it on sober people however, says only use on animals or intoxicated people.
>>
>>9054624

Yeah, that happened to me at Colossal last year which is dumb because he tagged both my page and my profile. How could you mess that up
>>
>>9057254
I saw the post he made about that certain shoot. So whiney about the cosplayers not looking directly at him so he would have to "discontinue" the project. lmao dumbass.
>>
>>9058104
You actually don't need to register your pepper spray if you buy it outside of DC and it's one of the listed legal chemical combinations (like, your pepper spray can't actually be sarin gas): http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/mace-pepper-spray-and-self-defense-sprays

Which is kind of ridiculous because Maryland and Virginia are a hop, skip, and a jump away, but you do you, DC.

But legality of possession in general leaves us with two more questions about anon's situation: 1) can you have pepper spray at a con, and 2) self-defense.

The first part is that I think most cons ban pepper spray, the same way that they ban actual knives and actual ninja stars. (When I Google "can a convention center ban pepper spray" I get AX, AWA, and Phoenix ComicCon's weapons policy pages, and they all say "no pepper spray"). So maybe you'd get your badge pulled for pepper spraying someone, but that's better than being assaulted or mugged, so, weigh the risks.

The second part is self-defense law, which naturally applies to using pepper spray. Self-defense law is a shitty mess (even putting aside make my day laws and the like), but at its heart is the issue of reasonable belief that self-defense is necessary to prevent immediate violence from another. Like anon said, if you pepper spray someone who you just thought was following you around the con, that's not self-defense -- you just committed an assault, and you're probably the one leaving the con in a cop car. Would >>9053031's situation count? I have no idea. Self-defense is a clusterfuck.
>>
>>9058124
Long Thai doesn't care about you, he tags everyone's personal and cosplay pages. He just wants people to know he's in the in-crowd, just like he spends so much money with the celebs doing those shitty punching photos and his shitty videography. He's probably one of the worst snipers in the US
>>
>>9057927

It's lowest common denominator by being all BOOBS so it's insulting to look at for anyone with taste.
>>
>>9058869
It's all skill
>>
>>9058882
God I hate this photo set

Like not only are the photos boring and average as fuck, but the costumes are a shit idea and terribly executed

Like at least make your damn bra-things fit, they look saggy and misshapen as all hell
>>
>>9058155
hahaha what a whiny bitch! There were tons of people with cameras since it was a group meetup plus a group shoot. He was salty he wasn't asked to be the main photographer. Photogkun needs to get over himself and his shitty attitude.
>>
>>9058897
I was at that Sailor Moon shoot. There were tons of cameras and people taking pictures. What the hell did he expect?
>>
>>9058155
You got a screencap of his post?
>>
>>9058882
THE BOOBS ARE NOTE EVEN IN FOCus
>>
smile250, unless youre a smol azn or sucking his dick he won't shoot with you.
If he ends up shooting with you but doesn't particularly like what you're wearing, he will talk shit behind your back and be an all around dick.
>>
>>9058934
That describes all the cosfame photographers
>>
>>9057875
He's a piece of shit person so aging out is the last thing he should worry about.
>>
>>9059110
What's his story? Aside from fame chasing, he seemed ok to me
>>
Why does Long Thai need to make the bell's palsy face in all his selfies and videos? It's obnoxious.
>>
>>9055674
Forgpt to add: Every Florida Photographer in the state.

Especially David Love Photography. It's npoo t really photography either, just photoshop.
>>
>>9052834
Butch Lee, nobody cares about your life and how you were trying to bang Lolita Zombie. Go back to HIN.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (146 KB, 574x822) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
146 KB, 574x822
>>9057003
>>
>>9060194
What an asshole. Normally you'd either set up a separate shoot after the gathering or you rotate characters.
>>
>>9060194
is this from his page? I can't find it
>>
>>9060211
It's on his personal fb page. Scroll through his uploads and you can probably find it.
>>
>>9060009
Sadly the last thing he is is overhyped. Maybe just to himself, but a few of my friends shot with him at Katsucon and they were all disappointed about his lights. Don't fall for his smoke and gels. Also he didn't invent that technique as much as he keeps claiming her did.
>>
>>9060664
i mistaken him for Masamne once. he was not pleased.
>>
>>9058882
>>9056995
Just saw his new photos. I think we have been trolled.
>>
>>9057053
dude here, the number of guys who think they'll just somehow age into grizzled old clint eastwoods or 'badass grandpas' from video games/movies is surprisingly high.
>>
Miss Mallo

Her photos are pretty, I guess, but you won't get shit back from your shoots unless you're her friend.
>>
>>9054576
No photographer in any field needs official education but you do need experience and a good portfolio (most important) before you try and really get anywhere
>>
>>9054576
Cough. Hallmark educated cough
>>
>>9061715
tell that to half of east coast who charges even when they're new and have no clue what they're doing
worse PEOPLE ACTUALLY PAY THEM
>>
>>9061982
Worse is some people think some of the stuff they shoot is good, just check any of the cosplay photography panels on the East Coast
>>
Danarki Photography.
>>
before (from what i've seen) couple of photographers would set up a green screen with prof lights in an area and it'd be barricaded.

and if he/she saw a cosplay he/she would ask if they could take pics with their thousand dollar camera and give the cosplayer a card.
he/she wouldn't care if others took pics too, but would ask others to let him/her take theirs first cause of the lights/flashes setup.

mind you this was around 3 or 4 years ago.
but i guess they don't want to pay for an area to set up.

but now they're just walking around. getting them and then asking them to go outside or to some room upstairs.
in houston esp when it's like 90 degrees outside to get some landscape pictures it's nuts. unless the cosplayer is willing to take the heat.

i've heard some of them being pushy to the point of the cosplayer saying i'll be back in a bit and completely avoiding the area.

nowadays i see the 'background pictures', where it's a small booth with a green screen and you can choose what background you want and if you like it, you can buy the print.
>>
>>9052940
Wooo, somebody's mad.
>>
>>9062942

Most cons will freak out if you're setting up a green screen and will stop you from doing that, unless you're a vendor. Just check Katsucon, Dragon Con, and Anime North. They want that vendor fee, plus it's a fire hazard. They can't stop you from doing it in a room, but in public yeah, sorry. Hell Katsucon even just bitches about using a reflector or a light stand!

There are some cons that also frown on private shoots in rooms, I think it was Momocon? I forget, but I saw one of the con people recently bitching about people doing paid private shoots in rooms and trying to find out who the photographer was to ban them. I think it was more because it was sexual in nature (boudoir), but still the point stands.

Many cosplay photographers today aren't professionals. They'll throw tantrums about others shooting the cosplayer they're working with or snipe shots over a photographer working. Many are untrained and have no idea of what they are doing, and they aren't learning when they surround themselves with Yes Men who are just happy to get a free photo and claim they're the best or they keep getting featured in shit sites like Kotaku. They just look for photos they can feature without paying photographers who are idiots for sharing whole galleries for zero pay. One or two photos is fine, but when you let them use EVERYTHING? C'mon, you're not doing anyone a favor, except those sites.
>>
>>9061982
If someone pays a terrible photographer and gets terrible photos back, I say fuck 'em. They deserve it.
>>
>>9061982
>need experience
>a good portfolio (most important)
What is reading
>>
File: laboy 3.jpg (101 KB, 1080x722) Image search: [Google]
laboy 3.jpg
101 KB, 1080x722
>>9055499
You've got to be kidding me.

I mean, I am not seeing where the talent is. Maybe it's just me.
>>
>>9055499

The list must have pretty low standards then
>>
File: Geeked1.jpg (224 KB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
Geeked1.jpg
224 KB, 2048x1356
AND LET'S NOT FORGET THIS ASSHOLE
>>
>>9058882
Two models stading beside each other, one is in focus one is out of focus. How does that even happen?
>>
>>9061982
Ugh it bother me. I am fucking new, I know my shit sucks and people like it. I have been told to charge and I am like "I would feel like a damn thief" but if people like it... Am I bad for knowing I am not the best (but better than I was last year?)
>>
>>9064266
and heres a group shot of most people on the same plane and they're out of foucs. how does that even happen?!
>>
>>9064200
it's not that hard to figure out who it was looking. just follow the trail of the usual Georgia con sluts.
>>
>>9058882
blue chick has bigger bewbs
>>
Somewhat related to thread:
I'm a landscape/nature/model photographer that's looking to get into Cosplay Photography, but all I see in the community is people causing drama, spreading rumors, etc. Is it worth to get into it in the long run, or do you all think it'd be more trouble than it's worth?
>>
>>9065336
It's not worth it. I'm a cosplay photog and I want to quit. In some way or form, the drama and all that shit will destroy you. Unless you have a really care-free attitude and a thick skull, go for it. I don't have any drama against me, I only want to quit because I always feel like it's a competition against everyone else. You get mad at yourself after awhile if your page doesn't grow while others do. But maybe that's just me. If you really want to, go for it.
>>
>>9065336
What is your reason for wanting to do cosplay photography?
>>
>>9064993
I'm just an amateur when it comes to photography, but I would guess he was using a wide aperture (probably f1.8) which gives a pretty shallow depth of field--which would explain why some parts are in focus and others are not (he should have used a narrower aperture for everything to be in focus, I'd say f4 at the minimum).
>>
>>9065336
I only do it as a favor to friends who are into it. I haven't hit professional grade as photographer, but I am getting there.

Haven't hit too much drama over it myself, but then again I keep a relatively good distance from it in the first place. For three reasons.

1. I find it boring. Everything with cosplay is pretty outlandish, and for some reason most cosplayers have no clue how to model, pose, etc. I'm fine with giving direction, but I can only do so much. It's frustrating when cosplayers haven't bothered learning basic posing, then get upset when I have only a few flattering photos for them (the ones where I directed them).

2. The cosplayers get more benefit from your photos than you do. It's kinda selfish, but it's annoying when you're decent enough to make some side-cash and get reliable clients (usual photog shit with the occasional model/personal project), but I honestly don't get any benefits with cosplay photography. Very little can be learned (since many are bad at modeling), and it's not the best avenue of showcasing your abilities since it's still kind of an niche hobby.

3. Expanding on 2, you probably won't improve as a photographer. Unfortunately, photography does have a low barrier of entry thanks to technology, which means there's a lot of people taking shit photos and thinking it's good (I still don't believe any of my photography is any good though--despite publications and making some money). You're better off nailing the fundamentals with traditional methods than cosplay.

But hey, if you like it and wanna have fun, go for it. Just don't go into it thinking you'll make a career off of it.
>>
>>9065377
you must be from the east coast. so many cry babies. just quit already.
>>
>>9065336
The only way to succeed is to kiss cosplayers' asses, build up a group of yes-men that hype your shit up even if it sucks, and resign yourself to NEVER MAKING ANY MONEY FROM IT EVER.

I've done none of those things, but I'm stubborn as fuck, and I'm going to make it anyway. Lesser mortals will get burnt out, though.
>>
>>9065399
I don't like the direction cosplay photography is heading either, but you're spreading misinformation too.

> It's frustrating when cosplayers haven't bothered learning basic posing, then get upset when I have only a few flattering photos for them (the ones where I directed them).

Posing is bullshit. The whole point of portrait photography is to make the model look relaxed and at home in their own skin and their surroundings.

>I honestly don't get any benefits with cosplay photography. Very little can be learned (since many are bad at modeling), and it's not the best avenue of showcasing your abilities since it's still kind of an niche hobby.

SOOOOOOOOO FALSE. Take some personal responsibility. There are so many gorgeous cosplayers with gorgeous costumes. If you can't get a good shot off them, it's because you suck. If you're taking bad pictures, it's because you're bad, or you're working with bad people (ugly, fat, shy/awkward, etc.).

>there's a lot of people taking shit photos and thinking it's good

One of the only true things you said. Cosplayers don't know shit. They can't tell a good photo from a bad one. They have to be educated.
>>
ya'll niggahs need to shoot cosplay because you want to shoot and shoot people/characters you want to shoot because you're a fan, not because you're trying to get efamous

it's like fanartists. most of them niggahs ain't out for a paycheck, they just want to draw because they love a show or a character or some shit. they tried new shit and got better as part of that.
>>
>>9065409
I am, and it's awful. I wish the east had the west's idealology. And I didn't "quit" for good, just paid stuff. I still love to reach out to cosplayers and do free shoots once in-a-while.
>>
>>9065422

Cosplay isn't portrait photography though, it's more like fashion/glamour as you're showcasing a costume for 90% of characters. Posing is really important in that case.

For that last 10% though, yes I agree, making them look relaxed is key, but that's unlikely to happen because odds are they're at a convention (unless you're lucky enough to organise an external shoot) and they're not the most conductive environments for relaxation.
>>
File: premiumcontent.jpg (74 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
premiumcontent.jpg
74 KB, 960x600
A subpar photo from our lord and saviour, Larry/Kayhettin

>>9065446
Fan Artists are out for the check, they're not blowing hundreds of dollars to rent a table for the hell of it, GTFO with that bullshit excuse, LMAO
>>
>>9065768
Shit, even though it's boring, at least it's in focus and lit decently.

The vast majority of east coast motherfuckers couldn't take this shot if they had two weeks and a gun pointed at their head.
>>
>>9065832

They would still ask to be paid before getting shot in the head
>>
itt: photogs bitching about drama while all throwing each other under the bus and throwing shade. drama is super avoidable if you don't start it and you don't spend all your time shooting cosfamous sluts with fake tits trying to make yourself famous by association. shoot shit you like being worn by people you like and there won't be drama.
>>
>>9065832
Natural lighting is easy, but so many East Coast photographers shoot with lights they don't know what to do without lights. Laboy threw such a fit at nycc when he was told to take down his lights and he pointed out other photos using light stands and soft boxes
>>
>>9065768
Did you know that the vast majority of fan artists don't participate in artist alley? Shocking right?
>>
>>9066012
fan artists aren't at cons showing off their work though and then bitching about how much their paper and pens/pencils costs. Apples and oranges
>>
>>9065841
Lol'd.
>>
File: IMG_0278A-X2.jpg (129 KB, 768x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0278A-X2.jpg
129 KB, 768x960
Take your tme and you can be good too!
>>
Nobody mentioned Novii? That's a laugh.
>>
>>9066051
He's not over-hyped. Nobody knows who he is.

For obvious reasons.
>>
>>9066069
I get it. It's ironic because he thinks he's a comedian
>>
>>9066069
Novii was too busy huffing and puffing in the corner like a cuckolded fuckboi, while Shiro is doing her thing with other photographers.
>>
>>9066247
So KAWAII!
>>
>>9066247
Does anyone know what happened between them this time?
>>
>>9065768
what a mediocre tharja
>>
>>9066286
Mediocre to everyone but Kotaku
>>
>>9066316

More like just luke from kotaku
>>
>>9066247
They still do on location shoots. I thought they're still dating?
>>
>>9066372
no way that they're dating. shiro is such a fucking slut at cons
>>
>>9066391
Maybe Kevin just loves lapping up the sloppy seconds!
>>
>>9055093
Martin is like 24, bro.
>>
>>9055402
Now he's expecting cons to fly him over, and he may produce two photos from the whole trip.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darshellestevens/the-journey-beyond/comments

Lesson to be learned - Beethy is not to be trusted with money!
>>
Butch Lee had another mental breakdown today on his fan page and it was glorious.
>>
>>9066802

What happened
>>
>>9066876
"To those I blocked because youre being a dumb, slut, prostitute and a bitch.To the assholes, cowards and pussies who likes to talk shit on 4chan, anonomously because you know youre a coward. To those who blocked me because you can't handle a debate or arguement without your sensative feelings get hurt and start calling names and all types of bogus accusations.....good riddance. Hahaha"
>>
>>9056354
dont bother unless youre cosfamous, hes a spergy nerd who does good photography but will completely ignore you if you're not one of the hot popular girls he regularly shoots with.
>>
>>9066898
That's gold!
>>
>>9066898

I don't know who this person is but he sounds kinda salty
>>
>>9066793
He's good but he's not fly me to another country good. He wouldn't bring any income to the con in the way a cosplayer does. No one said "I'm going to this convention to meet this photographer!"
>>
>>9066758
Lmfao no he isn't. He's 28/29.
>>
>>9066995
Fan World disagrees. flying him all the way to canada
>>
>>9067072
LMAO and they probably regret it I'm sure! You sure it's not just him announcing the he'll be there and he secretly paid them?

I know Anime Fanfest had cosplay guests featured on their site and all, but the cosplayers all paid $200 for their tables, except for the ones who were judging I think. I know I heard some of them bitching after the con about it, because the turn out was so dismal.
>>
>>9066898
i met him at katsucon and he came off as a creep and not a very stable individual
>>
>>9066069

Probably because i haven't heard or seen jack about him since the big Toronto drama fest from a while back.
>>
>>9067634
Details Anon?
>>
>>9067651

Now I know name dropping these individuals makes some gulls go berserk and full on catty mode, but there's no other way to explain it without doing so. I've only met these people a few times and have had no problems with them personally (aside from Novii because I had to cancel a shoot only for him to never reply to messages trying reschedule, despite me cancelling 8 days before it happened), but i know how some of you are.

A year (or was it two?) or so ago Melty's borderline personality disorder and Purrblind's depression exploded into a feud that tore their friendship apart. Supposedly the resulting drama war caused Purr to try to seriously hurt if not kill herself, sending her to the hospital. Their mutual friends also took sides. Novii, who was always looking to get some action from these girls, sided with Melty and Shiro. Some people made some mean remarks to Melty about the whole thing, and she said she was quitting cosplay and social media. He then made this huge wall of text post on his facebook page basically saying that Purrblind was a lying backstabbing cheat who should never be trusted and that people should stay away.

The Canadian comms are not ones to shy away from drama, but having a photog post something like that in such a way is ridiculous and if I were someone who had never seen his page before and checked it only to see this massive shame post i would think him an unprofessional tool.

Some of these details may be off, as I had moved to the US a month or two before this went down
>>
>Do some photography stuff on the side as a hobby
>Friends want to do shoots when we go to a con
>I only have costumes for the first two days, so i can just shoot stuff on the third
>Random people want shoots done as well
>Tell them i'm not that good and have no way to give them their pictures, and as such don't want to shoot them
>"wow what kind of photog are you?!"

I never asked for this
>>
>>9067678
I have heard this story many times but never seen any screenshot. I am calling BS
>>
File: 1414383043877.png (54 KB, 447x820) Image search: [Google]
1414383043877.png
54 KB, 447x820
>>9067710

I'd bet money it's been deleted since
>>
>>9066898
This little bitch man-baby is still crying? Shit my and my homies long ignored his fool ass!
>>
>>9067747
>Shit my and my homies long ignored his fool ass!

Ew, cringe
>>
>>9067716

Eh, I call shop
>>
>>9067687
If you're not the one asking them to shoot and you're not getting paid then they have no right to a shoot or photos and you have no need to give a fuck
>>
>>9067767
Yup. Fake.
>>
>>9067767
I remember seeing him post this. Not shopped but he deleted it shortly after posted.
>>
>>9067869

I actually saved that from other anon who capped it shortly after it happened and posted it in a Canada thread after that.
>>
>>9065378
Honestly, I just have a lot of friends who enjoy cosplaying and want to help them out. I don't expect to make any money from it, I'd rather make money from my main photography; but I already have enough going on in my life and don't want any more added drama.
>>
I used to think Eric Ng/bigwhitebazooka was a fantastic photog until he started feeling me up when trying to get me to pose.

Not to mention the time he sexually assaulted my friend.
>>
>>9068276
Jebus christo

There needs to be a place calling these people out, but with verified evidence and or screencaps or stuff like that, idk
>>
>>9068284
On the Internet people can make up all sorts of things. Not saying it is the case this time (no real evidence either way) but it's happened in somewhat recent memory
>>
>>9066926
spergy? how so? is he like a hover-hand kind of guy?
>>
>>9068337
It was around 2 years ago, iirc
>>
>>9068276
>>9068376
If you can provide a bigger backstory this could go pretty viral kinda like the Richard T Bui thing
>>
>>9068392
she'd need some pretty good proof to really gain traction
>>
>>9068404
is that Eric? did he ask you to send nudes?
>>
>>9068408
>udes?
It's butch lee
>>
I always thought people were joking when they say some photographers post their watermarks right in the middle of the photo. Now I know they aren't.
>>
>>9068404
>>9068419
and you're posting his selfies, why?
>>
>>9068276
Fuck you. You should have gone to the cops if that actually happened. Fuck your made up stories and rumor-mongering on the internet.
>>
>>9068464
I don't know why anyone would try THIS HARD to associate this name with a shot this bad.
>>
>>9068844
Look at the font choice. He doesn't know what he's doing
>>
File: 01.png (198 KB, 487x833) Image search: [Google]
01.png
198 KB, 487x833
>>9068419
>>9068404
>>9066898
>>
>>9069120
Is he trying to commit Facebook suicide? I wouldn't want to shoot with someone who acts like that publicly
>>
>>9069120
Guys. No publicity is bad publicity. You're talking about now. You fell for his act
>>
>>9068276
Had this happen to me too.. Unfortunately for me I don't have any proof because it all happened in person during a private shoot.
>>
>>9066069
who's novii's newest muse if he's distancing from shiro?
>>
>>9069439
Hi blueshell
>>
>>9068526
Look at how pathetic he is
>>
>>9067871

Wow I heard about that blow-up, but didn't think he would actually do something like this.

>>9069481

Did those two actually date? Or was he just the most whipped dude in Canada?
>>
>>9069120
that's really pathetic. i don't see how he can regain people's trust after this
>>
>>9069698
they never dated. i heard shiro is going for the untouchable reputation. apparently adds waifu appeal
>>
>>9057245
Details please?
>>
>>9069982
Journey Beyond?

They had some photographers from the US and then Beethy. His international flights ate a decent chunk of the money. Nothing really materialized from the project minus some prints and not everyone got them. Beethy got a free vacation.
>>
>>9069985
Same for the Wild Places and DC Injustice crowdfunding scams. Its a shame so many people still ignore those and love Fischer and Superhero Photography, despite them ripping off thousands from donors
>>
>>9069985
Nothing materialized? Beethy got hooked up with yaya, nigri, steal chu, and a few other a-list cosplayers. He probably used the money for katsucon too. Kek
>>
>>9069985
Why is everyone conveniently forgetting that Yasemin Aslan also got flown over from Australia? That cost just as much as getting Beethy there.
So did she also get a free vacation?
>>
>>9070156
anon you're right! who the fuck actually care about Yasemin except for Beethy? talk about a waste of money
>>
>>9070165
If he loves her so much then why didn't he shoot her in America for that project? Also he hasn't worked with her for a really long time. I think you're stretching a bit here.
>>
>>9055674

Please add:
James Rulison
Jon York
Nels

I see these guys all the time over here in the West Coast and they've got an army of followers on social media. They take the same kinds of bland, generic photos and they rarely take photos with "smaller" cosplayers. They really only hang out and do shoots with you if you're one of the popular ones.
>>
>>9055499
His Force Awakens cosplay photos made me cringe. They're so bad.
>>
>>9065336
>>9065377
It's definitely not worth it. Don't be a cosplay photographer. Be a photographer first that also happens to do some cosplay photos. There's a huge difference. If you're a "cosplay photographer", you're risking pigeonholing yourself instead of expanding your skills and growing as a photographer.
>>
>>9070156
I wrote >>9069985 and I didn't even know who Yasmin was
>>
>>9054576
Learn some basic shit from a youtube video and you're good.
>>
>>9069698

They didn't date. I've met them at cons maybe two or three times, but they never struck me as in a relationship and lo and behold i was right.

Shiro can do better anyway
>>
>>9070224
They are not providing a service, so I don't mind who they want to shoot or not shoot, sounds like someone is salty
>>
>>9070233
Bad enough to wind up on tons of publications
>>
>>9070759
Sure he got paid tons of cash for those features
>>
File: jason laboy.jpg (91 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
jason laboy.jpg
91 KB, 960x960
>>9070759
>>9070762
>>9070233

To be honest, Jason Laboy isn't doing anything spectacular. His shoots aren't very polished, you can see lots of inconsistencies in his work, and most of the time, his models and cosplayers either aren't the best. His post-processing also doesn't do them any favors.

But, because his photos are generally in-focus, he's creative enough not to take boring compositions, and he knows a lot of people, he's getting his work out there.

He's not working because he's good. He's working because he's one of the only decent options in a sea of terrible photographers.
>>
>>9071396
Hi Jason, couldn't have the car out of the shot, huh?

His post-processing is hitting the Auto button in Lightroom/Photoshop and raising the highlights. For a guy who shoots with lights, its amazing how underexposed his work is
>>
>>9071597
I am definitely not Jason.

But that's exactly the type of shit I'm talking about. This guy can put a bad model in an uninteresting environment, with distracting elements in the photo, retouch nothing, and still get asspats.

He's working only because there's NOBODY ELSE who is shooting better than him right now.
>>
>>9071696
what region is he in?
can't be west because i've definitely seen better photos by people out here for free
>>
>>9071773
East Coast. NYC.

But it definitely ain't just him. There are a lot of shitty photogs from that area that pump out garbage shots and look for praise.
>>
>>9071696
nobody? Ron Gejon, knightmare, emcp, butch lee, geeked, etc. all very decent NYC photographers.
>>
>>9072602
Most of those have been shit talked in this thread already. What's up with East coast photographers? West doesn't seen to have this big a problem
>>
>>9052914

Call him out. Photogs only do this shit because cosplayers let them get away with it.
>>
>>9054563

Elysiam pls go
>>
>>9072914
he's a very popular photographer. it's basically committing career suicide to publicly start beef with him
>>
>>9072681
competitive market?

Thanks for the mention of the others in his area! Gejon's stuff is okay, but kind of basic. Found a photographer name Knightmare but he's in the Midwest, not NYC. EMCpis has issues with shadows and highlights I see. Butched Lee looks like he's shooting with one gimmick, the smoke and gels. Geeked is plain with overused effects on those VFX shots
>>
>>9072602
>>9073020

If its the NYC area, anon probably meant Knightmare6
>>
>>9073107

Ah got it!
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.