[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With anime conventions, which non anime fandom you like the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Hanayo Onigiri.png (261 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Hanayo Onigiri.png
261 KB, 750x750
With anime conventions, which non anime fandom you like the most and the least? From video games, comics, movies to bloody hell kpop. What fits the best with anime cons and which ones needs to get their own con?
>>
Star Trek and Star Wars cosplays always seem super out of place at anime cons. Also, if deadpool cosplayers would stay out of anime conventions, I'd be happy.
>>
>>8994085
Star Wars/Trek fans are usually way more chill than other non-anime fandoms though. Give me 100 Kylo, Reys and Mauls over Homestucks any day
>>
whatever flavor-of-the-month, easily-accessible, quirky thing that's trending among awkward autists with no boundaries.

homestuck, steven universe, and now undertale. the big In Thing that isn't anime but which weebs obsess over collectively.
>>
>>8994093
this
>>
honestly I'm way more out off by the weird influx of Disney princess cosplay stuff at anime cons than any recent flavors of the month
>>
>>8994093
>homestuck, steven universe, and now undertale

Yep
>>
most: bemani

least: ...bemani
>>
>>8994085
>>8994165
Honestly Star Wars and Star Trek have always seemed super out of place to me as well as the Disney cosplays (Also Game Of Thrones). Maybe it's just in my experience but everytime I see groups of them they seem to have a "better than you" air.. like common, we're all adults paying too much money to look like a bunch of fictional characters, we can get along.
>>
Depending in the timing and location of the con, the other people at the hotel or convention center are far more annoying, rude, and judgmental.

Fuck Baltimore
>>
>>8994073

> What fits the best with anime cons

literally nothing. It always screams of attention whore, even more than regular cosplay.
>>
Japanese video games usually blur the line and many of them have anime adaptations or vice versa so I always find those fit in just fine.

I don't hate western cosplay but I was listening to one of my regular anime podcasts and they were talking with random people at Florida Anime Experience. I wanted to punch through the speakers when a Mabel cosplayer came on and went into full rp mode and when they asked her what her favorite anime was she was like "Hmm anime anime....uh....I've seen Ouran High School Host Club?"
>>
>>8994073
>most
JRPGs like SMT/Persona, FF, other anime-ish games
>least
Undertale. None of the cosplays ever look good anyway besides the people who do the fursuits for the goat things
>>
>>8994093
I can see HS and Undertale but I haven't seen bad too often for steven universe. Maybe I just don't pay much attention to them to realize
>>
Gear up for suicide squad trash. As if we didn't have enough garbage harley' aroind, it becomes even MORE closet sort of effortless shit.

Can't name a favorite. A good cosplay is a good cosplay regardless of genre.
>>
Fuck the Dr Who fans at any convention.

Bunch of stuck up pricks.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
Shitty marvel cosplay. I'm tired of crossplay Tony Stark with mascara beards and pin-up versions of various Avengers. Also anyone trying to make "sexy" Star Wars cosplays.

I'm totally fine with well done versions of costumes from any genre. Local anime cons have always been a sort of amalgam of western and Japanese nerd interests here, and I think it's neat to have a varied audience and bigger range of panels.
>>
File: 1432793804646.jpg (89 KB, 682x1023) Image search: [Google]
1432793804646.jpg
89 KB, 682x1023
>>8995744
>Also anyone trying to make "sexy" Star Wars cosplays.

I want these horrors to end
>>
My favorite con was TFCon Toronto. It was pretty chill, but also very small.
>>
>>8994073
I'm not looking forward to all the Undertale cosplayers at Anime Expo.
>>
Well throwing mine lot in.

Favorite: Video Games. Nice and diverse and generally sits well. Also jidols as well

Least: Kpop. There is geeky and then then there is jock. Kpop is such a jock . The kind of jock who brags about partying and gettig laid among the geeks who doesnt go to a high school or community center rave.
>>
File: bigbang_bang_bang_bang.png (1 MB, 1708x948) Image search: [Google]
bigbang_bang_bang_bang.png
1 MB, 1708x948
>>8997089
>Kpop is such a jock

Fucking this. A couple of my friends are crazy about Big Bang so I went to check out their videos and realized "Oh. This is what North Korea shows their citizens to show the dark cloud of evil that comes with being friends with America."
>>
ACEN in Chicago always gets a good contingent of wrestling.

Just enough to have a base but not big enough to be dicks to anyone else.
>>
>>8996836
Nobody is
>>
Uhm all conventions in my country are multifandomconventions, not limited to anime, although many of them traditionally had a big focus on anime.

But I can stil answer the question.

I really like Homestuck, they are all really nice people that I have nothing but good experiences with.

I have no strong dislike for anything, but I don't like capeshit, and somehow, popular western online games like LoL are irritating to see cosplayers for in competition. And Steven Universe, because I don't like it but everyone else into Homestuck and MLP are, so I'm forced to deal with it and I feel threatened because I fear it will steal people away from my fandoms.
But there is nothing I really hate.
>>
>>8994073
I really like the j-rock fandom, but it seemed way more popular in the last decade than it is in the current one. Such a shame.
>>
>>8995186
this is the only reason I go to cons, this at least needs to stay.
>>
>>8997089
It's made up a bunch of white koreaboos trying to crossplay their favorite kpop boyz even though they're too fat and poor to afford or look like them.
>>
>Most
Video games fit pretty well, especially since it can be close to VNs and both of those often get animes once they are popular enough. I honestly don't even mind seeing Western video games at conventions because they are far and few in between or require a lot of craftsmanship anyways. Discounting Undertale of course.

>Least
Western comics or kpop. Usually filled with people with pompous attitudes with shitty costumes who are too poor to afford actual comic or kpop conventions.
>>
>>8997841
Same deal here with the conventions.

I am a capefag myself so I value the three other people who actually do comic book cosplays but the horde of annoying MCU cosplayers are so freaking irritating. They're everywhere, most of them are mediocre and none of them know anything about anything.
>>
>>8997971
I feel the same way about both of your sections. Like Western comics have entire conventions just for their fandoms. They can stay away from anime conventions. I feel like League of Legends should also stay in comic conventions.
To add on I think idol or jpop/ jrock stuff should definitely be fine at anime cons. Disney Princesses don't really fit anywhere, but I would rather have them at comic conventions than anime conventions. I think Star Trek and Star Wars are fine at comic, but not anime conventions. This is probably my personal bias, but I'm more fine with seeing Trekkies in anime cons than Star Wars people because they seem to fit the aesthetics of the convention better and are usually more dedicated fans. Also some of my Star Trek fan friends have watched a lot of space-setting anime. I haven't seen anything like that with Star Wars.
>>
>>8997968

My least favorite part is kpop is the complete opposite of geek culture. It is about living a high end lifestyle, a Kpop fan would spend their late nights at a party, not watching anime. With regular comic fans they will at least be part of the geekiness, Koreaboos are very much round peg square hole who doesn't care about anything but the opposite sex or the rave.

And KPOP inject themselves to the playlist of an anime themed dance shows the DJ they picked have no idea what anime songs there are or JPOP songs that would be perfect for a dance. Unfortunately it is hard to get JPOP merch over here so there is a reason behind that.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.