[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sewing General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Sewing-Process-60306137.jpg (128 KB, 1060x795) Image search: [Google]
Sewing-Process-60306137.jpg
128 KB, 1060x795
I didn't see one in catalog, sorry if this is uneeded.

>tfw got a singer sewing machine for 15th birthday
>couldn't figure it out so I put it back in it's box and haven't touched it for 3 years
>finally trying to sew my own decent dresses so I take out the sewing machine
> Its missing the front part where you plug the power chord into.

Tips for sewing?
Hand-sewn vs. Machine?
Cheap machines?
Your latest project?
>>
How much does it cost to replace that? I'm curious.

I have started sewing again lately and I just bought a gathering foot. I was hesitant to pay 30 bucks for something I could do without, but damn it was so worth it. My life is ruffles now.
>>
>>8883989
I'm such a newfag I don't even know what part to search for in Amazon.
Don't really wanna pay 500$ for a replacement either.
>>
Can anyone handsew something and have it look just as clean as a sewing machine?
I just cannot figure out this sewing machine. Everytime I try either the needle breaks or the fabric stays in place and i get a mess
>>
>>8884029
Handsewing can look nice, if not nicer, but it takes a looooot more time and effort. Are you threading your machine (how you place your thread) right? Is your foot (the thing on the sewing machine that presses on the fabric and moves it) down?
>>
>>8883983
>>8883997
Look up the model number for a list of parts.
>>8884029
Fix your tension and put the sick machine in for a tune up. Even new machines can be badly tuned.
>>
>>8884029
I'm just starting out and had the same issues. Sometimes it's not the machine itself, but your technique. I kept having my fabric sticking or catching in the machine and it was really frustrating, but then I found out a trick. Try starting a half inch or so in the fabric, or more if it's thicker. It's easier to sew when you don't start at the edge, and for thicker fabrics, it gives you room to jump start it forward a bit. Also, not all machines are created equal. Using my brand new Singer Start vs my mom's 30 year old Singer Stylist. Hers is wayyy easier to sew on.
>>
>>8883983
What's your machine model?

>Hand-sewn vs. Machine?
Machine will almost always be better than sewing by hand in strength, appearance, and consistency. Only situations where hand-sewing is better are for tight spots that a machine can't reach, some temporary tacking/basting, and ladder-stitching. I associate hand-sewing a garment with very high skill level of sewing, like couture.

>Cheap machines?
Brother on Amazon are pretty good for combination of inexpensiveness + machine quality. CS6000i can cover most people for beginner to intermediate needs or be a handy secondary/travel machine.

>Your latest project?
Contracted to provide costumes for booth babes at a con.
>>
File: 1454958486752.png (132 KB, 399x287) Image search: [Google]
1454958486752.png
132 KB, 399x287
>tfw just got a new $300 heavy duty sewing machine
>>
>>8884029
I recommend reading "Couture Sewing Techniques" by Claire Shaffer if you want to hand sew with good results (you can download the pdf pretty easily). It explains different stitches and how you should construct details when you aren't using a machine. The main problem I see with hand sewn garments is that they use a basting stitch to hold everything together, which is really obvious.
>>
Any good Youtubers or Bloggers for beginners on sewing? Like from absolute scratch.
I'm mediocre at it, but my friend is completely new and I'm an awful teacher, it'll also be good for me too though.
>>
>>8884263
Too add, even like back stitching and what not.
As if they bought a machine and don't even know what they are doing.

Sorry for double posting, but can't think of any YouTubers.
>>
File: HTB1f8J4IVXXXXbVXpXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg (110 KB, 673x565) Image search: [Google]
HTB1f8J4IVXXXXbVXpXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg
110 KB, 673x565
ESL coming through.. I'm gonna try to explain this the best way I can.
I want to sew Umarus cape like pic related but I can't seem to figure out how to do the rounded edges when it's the quarter circle thing. I can do it with a half circle. but with the quarter it just looks off. I either get a huge gap or I'm removing too much to get the right shape.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 700x520
So I got this little singer serger for Christmas. I have to say, I have no idea really when you're supposed to use this on the edges or what the different stitches are used for. I've always just used an overlock stitch on my sewing machine on the edges of my cut out pieces before I start sewing. Is this supposed to kind of replace the regular straight stitch on certain areas? I have figured out how to thread it. Are there any good sites or YouTube channels that can show me the ropes?
>>
>>8887940
For basic home sewing, a serger is used to finish raw edges, make rolled hems, replace a regular machine for sewing knits, and make ruffles. Ruffles are made by changing the tension and feed; a google search will pop up tutorials.
>>
Tips for sewing?
Choose fabric wisely. Not necessarily in terms of quality, but depending on your garment project and sewing level. Look for bargains, touch the fabrics and keep in mind that weight and draping will have an impact both on your sewing experience and finished product. Stay away from sheers and vinyl if you value your sanity.

Hand-sewn vs. Machine?
I really, really like hand sewing like, entire garments, because I am a hobbyist and it just feels more relaxing to me to handstitch than use my sewing machine, even if it takes more time. If you want your dresses (I'm guessing Lolita dresses?) to look more professional and brand-y however, you're better off working with a machine. Although there again it really all boils down to the fabric you're using and your sewing level.

Cheap machines?
Vintage ones with limited stitch options and minimal plastic parts are best for a beginner, I feel. Never buy the cheap, small made in China ones, no matter how inexpensive they are.

Your latest project?
A bag of some sort is in the works at the moment.
>>
Any tips on getting sewing gigs as a novice?
I don't really feel ready to do full cosplay commissions because my pattern making skills aren't very sharp. I also would feel really nervous sewing for a different body type than mine.
Should I just make a bunch of simple lolita skirts and jsks and put them on etsy/storenvy? Those are easy to size.
>>
>>8889106
Sorry, not novice. More like intermediate. I've been sewing a lot of skirts and jsks and shit and I used to make myself a lot of cosplays. I've been sewing regularly for maybe 4 years now. I only really started caring about following "the rules" (properly finishing edges, assembling things in the right way) in the last 2 years.
>>
>>8889106
There are already tons of novice to intermediate seamstresses putting out mediocre to hot-mess simple lolita junk on Etsy and similar platforms. Unless you have some extreme PR ability, your stuff will be lost in the fray since there's nothing notable about your sewing or experience to set it apart (and Chinese factory stuff will still beat you in price).

If you want to sew for someone else and for a small fee, I'd suggest ask around your friends and see if anyone can use a simple commission. You'll be able to improve your sewing techniques and lower your risks of having a customer unhappy with the product and souring the transaction.
>>
>>8889112
Thanks anon, you're totally right about the etsy thing.
I think I'll just try to do some commissions for friends, so I can fit and alter them without worrying so much.
>>
I just snapped a needle trying out my brand new ruffle foot. Normal needle, medium weight cotton.
Is thread tension an issue? Or do I need to choose a sturdier needle?
I'll just re-thread with a new needle and try some settings out. Maybe it's nothing.
(This is the very first time I'm using a ruffler)
>>
>>8889292
Yeah tension matters. What did the instructions for the ruffler say? Also put the stitch length at the highest setting, it could be why the needle broke.
>>
>>8889708
Longest... I'm a derp.
>>
Any tips for hemming and sewing chiffon in general?
>>
I just got a new sewing machine from my grandma as a Valentine's day present and I'm stoked. It has like 100 different stitch options. It's a huge upgrade cause I was using this ancient one that you couldn't even go backwards with
>>
>>8889762
use a new needle of the right size and replace it more often than you would for heavier fabrics.
>>
Advice for sewing through metallic spandex? My friend's machine keeps skipping stitches. She's tried different needles, different feet, it seems like the metallic coating is preventing the needle from piercing the whole fabric.
>>
>>8890250
My machine did the same with a timing issue. If it continues with a test fabric you'll have to put it in the shop.
>>
>>8890250
use a serger
>>
>>8889762
French seams, rolled hems and lots of pins.
Also for most accurate cutting, sandwich the chiffon between 2 layers of tissue paper, trace the pattern pieces out on the paper, pin and cut. Can also be done with just a top layer of tissue, but won't be as accurate as the sandwich.
>>
File: 14568187983511006574344.jpg (638 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
14568187983511006574344.jpg
638 KB, 1440x2560
Does anyone have a tutorial, or name so I could look it up, of the gathered part of the scallops?
The fabric is opera related and I was trying for something like theatre curtain hem...
>>
>>8890463
Bustle skirt?
>>
What are some of the basic things you should keep in mind in every project you sew?
I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing, I've already successfully finished several pieces like dresses and shirts and vests, but everytime I start a new project confident that I know what I'm doing I end up learning something new but completely obvious the hard way.. Stuff like thread tension, stitch length, suitability of certain fabrics for certain projects etc. I've never had any actual sewing classes, I just look up tutorials online for specific parts I'm making so that's why I'm completely lacking in the basics.
>>
>>8890250
You really need a serger because it's stretchy and fussy. A walking foot will generally fix the skipped stitch problem, but you will run into stretch issues with a straight stitch.
>>
>>8890373
It will sew regular matte milliskin spandex no problem, it seems to only be this metallic spandex that is causing problems.

>>8890380
>>8890751
She's currently seeing if anyone has a serger she can borrow. If she had ready access to one she would have gone with that first.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
>>
>>8890463
It's called ruching. It's super easy, though.

Sew two straight, long stitch lines, gather the fabric up to the point that you want and tie/stitch it off.
>>
>>8889784
>>8890383
Thank you both!
>>
>>8890787
Thank you, now I can finish my test garment.
>>
>>8884263
Bump
>>
>>8890539
Sew on fabric scraps first to test things.
Write down what tension and needle settings work with each fabric so that you don't have to find it again and again.
Make a mock-up. Always mock-up.
Visualize a few steps ahead as to what you need to do. Plan ahead.
When in doubt, consult the machine's guide book and google. Someone has asked the question before and you won't be the last to ask.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.