[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AU Cosplays and Original Modifications
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 500x750
Good or bad?
>>
Go canon or go home
>>
Harder to be good but nothing fundamentally wrong with them. Not kk if used as an excuse to pull shit from your closet like a lazy asshole.

Example of good would be like the Shoomlah Disney princess designs

Bad is any 'goth hottopic' lazy version of character
>>
usually bad,rarely good, it depends on A LOT of factors (character,theme,design,etc.)
>>
post examples
>>
I really love the concept of AUs, but I think in cosplay they're often just people being lazy.
But again, sometimes it can be fun to be a bit lazy. Just get a gang together and wear generic school uniforms and maybe wigs for characters in SNK and just go with some AU where they all go too school together

Also found pic related while trying to find something to post because OP didn't really do much to get the thread started, and found pic related
Kinda fell in love with it desu
>>
File: 1417858104210.jpg (387 KB, 800x1102) Image search: [Google]
1417858104210.jpg
387 KB, 800x1102
>>
Good if it's more difficult than making the original costume. (fancy ball gowns)

Bad if it's easier (ie. Lazy gender bends, casual clothes)
>>
>>
File: Disney-Princess-Game-of-Thrones.jpg (315 KB, 1974x978) Image search: [Google]
Disney-Princess-Game-of-Thrones.jpg
315 KB, 1974x978
>>
File: 1408011032620.png (1 MB, 1300x895) Image search: [Google]
1408011032620.png
1 MB, 1300x895
>>
>>
This one is really shitty but I can't really find a lot so whatever
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 400x509) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 400x509
>>8870655
Looks okay when compared to the artwork it's based on.
>>
>>8870641
Hate so many of these. I don't care how much nostalgia live to have for Disney princesses they are not remotely this badass.
>>
File: cementmixer.jpg (47 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
cementmixer.jpg
47 KB, 460x460
>>8870791
Seriously. It's gotten bad enough websites are making fun of people crossing disney princesses with everything.
>>
>>8870627
If done well, that would be an exciting and welcome change.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 510x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 510x768
I don't mind modifications if the character design is boring or overdone. Like pic related.

AU Cosplays are annoying and sometimes cringe, especially punk/skater/scene versions. Like stop turning good characters into edgelords.

Leave headcanons at the door as well, I don't ever want to see another freckled Hamsteak or gem again.
>>
>>8870069
I actually like this one especially how they pulled up the outer hoodie's sleeves up to mimic the look of Link's arm guards.
>>
>>8871782
>Of all the modded cosplays in the homestuck fandom, you pick "dave in a leather jacket" as your go-to design

Either this is self-post or you have terrible taste.
>>
>>8874766
I'm calling bad taste. Cosplayer in the pic has p much erased all evidence of homestuck from her social media
>>
>>8874766
i think they meant that that sort of cosplay is "boring/overdone." because they say that skater/punk/scene versions are cringe and honestly that looks like a skater dave...
>>
>>8874766
I think that was supposed to be an example of cringe
>>
Ha, I got invited to join a Disney crossover group cosplay, and I said yes just to see what was up (cause it's supposed to be "secret" for SDCC), and once I found out the concept and saw the designs, I sure did regret ever saying yes.
It's been like, a month, so I'm going to wait like, a week more before I casually drop out of the group and give them enough time to find a replacement

I'd post the concept designs, but I'm a little paranoid about someone from the FB group seeing it.
>>
This type of cosplay is good if looks that have a lot of work, but definitely not if you are going to a contest
>>
>>8876759
I'm really curious now.. Can you at least describe what the crossover is?
>>
>>8878506
It's supposed to be Disney Fairies/Star wars X-Wing Pilots
It's not super terrible in concept, but the designs are a bit whack, and I cant see it translating super well to real life
>>
>>8878600
I swear selling Star Wars to Disney was the dumbest thing George Lucas ever did. Now we have all the Disney princess fags ruining it just because the Disney label got slapped on it.

Most of them didn't give a shit about Star Wars before that.
>>
>>8875150
The way I read it, they don't mind modifications if the original character is boring or overdone. In this case the original character from the comic is a dude in a t shirt that everyone and their mother cosplays, so shitty leather jacket version is "okay" because it's different. Except Homestuck is FULL of lazy shit like this, especially for this character when they don't feel like buying the right pants/shirt.
>>
I'm dead tired of Disney, and especially Disney princesses, crossovers. That and Sailor Moon anything. Most other shit I can just kinda go "eh" about, but that's everywhere and it is so overdone.
>>
>>8879003
Yeah, at this point I'm most impressed with people who cosplay the princesses in their original dresses.
>>
File: homestuck.png (276 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
homestuck.png
276 KB, 500x333
I think if there's a lot of though that goes into it, it's good (and it shows). Like years back (pic related), that military homestuck AU was some really cool and clever cosplays. A lot of AUs also come from popular in fandom stuff-like wasn't there that weird 90s AU fic that got popular in the SnK fandom and people were cosplaying from that? I would count that as lazy, but can see why it got a lot of tract. Generally, I think AUs look best in a group. Solo AUs are really hard to pull off without looking lazy.

Crossovers that don't make sense seem to be really popular and really dumb, but I guess if they want to buy worbla and make slave Leia/Ariel or whatever, it's their money.
>>
>>8879349

Militarystuck is the runny abortion of bad jfashion and the "more fancy=better costume" mindset that plagues Homestuck. What about half the characters suggest they would be wearing leopart print and ruffled collars? All of mookies designs were trash - Karkat in those frilly little-boy Lolita shorts (sorry not Lolita so I don't know the name for the subfashion) is retarded and out of character.

Good AU costumes should look like something the character would actually wear in the context of an alternative universe in addition to being well constructed.
>>
>>8879368
I would nix the clever, you're right anon. But honestly the construction and over-the-top value that people made, make it a good AU. Mookie does a lot of the same with her bunny suit designs, but because there's that over-the-top construction, I would say it's fine versus people who slap on a cheap satin corset with a leotard and fishnets and say they're bunny suit Avengers or whatever.

You could get a lot more nitpick about 'what the character would actually wear' in more casual AUs, but with over-the-top AUs I would look more at construction.
>>
>>8870637
Bad rule of thumb.
see >>8876344 and >>8877049

more "work" does not equal better work.
>>
>>8874888
>her social
>her
wat?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.