[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iron Wig 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
Competition seems pretty fierce this time around
>>
>>
>>
>>8833495
The others can't hold up at all compared to this one.
>>
>>
>>
>>8833508
that one just looks like the typical "put something on top of the hair" styling; I liked OP the best, but wsn't really a fan of the blunt ends
>>
>>
a lot of these wigs are quite random. it looks just like adding complex stuff together without thinking about how it fits together. Only the octopus and the queen have a creative theme and you don't have to look twice to get what the photos show
>>
>>
>>8833497
are there better photos of this one?
>>
>>
>>8833515
I think the same. They look like ugly elaborate hats.
>>
>>8833514
should have choosen a friend as her model. does she think she is sexy like that?
>>
>>8833517
this is my guess as to who is going home this round. It's just really lackluster compared to the others.
>>
>>8833526
the biggest problem with this one is that she tries too hard to show her skills but in the end it looks like a chaotic mess of ugly shit
>>
>>8833528
It's pretty lackluster, yeah, but it's not a fucking disaster like >>8833514

At least it looks clean.
>>
>>8833514
>>8833495
>>8833523
What are the usual go-to tools for wig stylists to get wig fibers to stay in complicated shapes and look clean?
>>
>>8833526
but how would she show off that tattoo?
>>
>>8833509
This is shit. This'll be the first to go.
>>
>>8833510
I think this is the underdog of the competition but the bird is so nice.
>>
>>8833492
All that braiding is really cool, but those blunt ends are bugging me. Would look a lot better if them were thinned out a bit to match the ponytail.
>>8833495
My favorite by far. Actually looks like it'd be executable with real hair, is simple yet effective, and has a great, clean shape to it. Loving all the back curls.
>>8833497
>>8833514
These designs are just clusterfucks. I don't even know what's going on in them or what they're trying to invoke other than "weird demon monster thing from a final fantasy game". The second one is a lot cleaner though, so I see it surviving better. The hoops are neat.
>>8833509
Worst by far. Ugly and boring design with dumb fake fruit from Michaels attached to it for no reason. Lame.
>>8833510
Great parting and undercut. The design is pretty interesting, but not too complex that it becomes a mess like some of the other designs. Kinda reminds me of Dragon Age stuff mixed with just enough JRPG flair to make it pop. Good stuff.
>>8833517
Ugly makeup on the model aside, it's alright. Parting and braids look cool, but I don't really get the point of the weaved bits on the side. They seem out of place.
>>8833523
Really fucking cool. Loses points for blunt ends (god why did she and OP do that), but those curls and that height are fucking nuts and deserve to be recognized.
>>
>>8833509
This one is underwhelming.
>>
>>8833495
This wig is great, but the makeup is killing me.
>>
>>8833495
this is so ugly
>>
Arda is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for contestants these days. Looks like half the girls don't even know how to alter a Jeannie to make it actually fit their head. I don't give a shit how many stupid shapes you can make with clear-drying caulk; wearing a ponytail wig over your ears because the cap is too big shows a lack of fundamental understanding on how wigs work. This is the equivalent of a cosplay contest where half the contestants are wearing ill-fitting ebay costumes that they added a bunch of trim and jewels to. What a fucking mess.
>>
>>8833492
I really like how they did the braiding job on this one and the overall shape of the wig. They should aim for using less photos next time. The side with the small braids could have been done cleaner though.
>>8833495
I love the simplicity of this one and how it fits her head. The theme is pretty clear, but I think how simple it is is what will kill it's score.
>>8833497
This one just feels really messy. They were trying out so many techniques, it all kinds of just collides together. The pictures they used are also really busy so it takes away from showcasing the wig.
>>8833509
Clear idea, but the wig is very obviously ill-fitting. I also don't like that they used so much fruit. They should've made the leaves out of hair.
>>8833510
I like the construction of this one the best. It's very clean and I like the style. I don't like the bird at the end of the tail though, it's too bulky. Awesome undercut. Could used better lighting for their photos.
>>8833514
Another one that could've done so well if it weren't so mashed up. Too many things going on. Everything looks clean and constructed well, but the overall design wasn't very well thought out. With such a complex looking wig, they should have used less photos for showing it off. The number of photos just adds to the messy feel.
>>8833517
I don't understand why they styled it down since it's a pony tail wig. They'll probably lose major points for that. I can see that they wefted the two colors together in the base wig, but it just comes off as a really simple design, but also kind of messy looking. These contestants should use less space for show casing their costume instead of their wig.
>>8833523
One of my favorites, tied with the braided one and the bird one. The design was really well thought out and I've never seen anything like that technique they used for the octopus. The only thing is that close up, it doesn't look very clean. They should have spent more time on smoothing out the hair.
>>
>>8833784
woow, so salty
>>
>>8833620
>>8833509

She made the wig into a cornucopia, also known as a horn of plenty. The fruit is part of that. I still think it's a mess, but at least get your facts straight.
>>
>>8833523
Wow, this one's definitely my favourite! I'm getting a Queen Amidala vibe from her - I love how architectural and swoopy and aesthetically pleasing the swirls are, and how they're well-balanced with symmetry in other places.

I agree that this one and the queen one have the most cohesive and well-thought-out designs, but Artflower kind of soured the whole "make something out of wig fibre and slap it on" in the last IW.
>>
File: really3.jpg (23 KB, 477x480) Image search: [Google]
really3.jpg
23 KB, 477x480
>>8833903
Why so butthurt about my comment? Learn to fit your wigs properly and it won't be a problem. There's no excuse when the Arda site itself has a tutorial on one way to do it.
>>
>>8833509
The cornucopia is a cool idea, but her execution is lacking. She didn't consider the 3 dimensional geometry of the wig, and how it would look from different angles, so now it looks pretty cool from like two angles and like shit from anywhere else.
>>
>>8834125
I was just stating that your vagina is a desert dune, which you cannot deny. I agree that there are some pretty loose looking wigs there though.
>>
>>8833920
"No reason" as in there's no reason for her to use shitty cheap plastic fruits when the contest is about wig styling, not gluing random bobbles and bits to your head and calling it a day.
And to be honest it doesn't really look like a great cornucopia anyway. It's not a twisted spiral like they usually look like. Nor does it include fall vegetables, which are often the most present in cornucopias since they're generally used for invoking the season, at least in the US. She used summer fruits for a fall theme. Why?
>>
File: lol-ahok.jpg.png (217 KB, 553x615) Image search: [Google]
lol-ahok.jpg.png
217 KB, 553x615
>>8834168
>I agree with you but I'm going to call you a bitch anyway
lol ok
>>
>>8833523
OMG this one really remind me of junji ito's manga.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>8833509
>>
>>8833509
Would've been better if it wasn't that flat red colour as a base and the fruit was made of hair like everyone else did for their entry. The only thing I like about it is the horn/cone shape in the back.
>>
>>8834105
>Artflower kind of soured the whole "make something out of wig fibre and slap it on" in the last IW.
Very much this, but at the same time I can't blame any of the people who try that tactic this year. The same song and dance won Artflower top points regardless of how boring her overall design was, so the new contestants probably see it as a sure fire way to earn points. A good chunk of the entrants made an object out of hair this round, so I'm guessing we'll see a lot of this in future rounds too.
>>
>>8834438
Looks like from the Grinch movie
>>
>>8834218
dude, i agree about the big plastic fruits looking shitty, but those are all fall fruits to me. were do you live?
>>
>>8835038
Southeast USA. Plenty of apple, grape, and pear varieties ripen in late summer.
Like, if they wanted to invoke fall more, why not use pumpkins? Squash? Pomegranates? Cranberries?
>>
>>8834627

Artflower shouldn't have won. Just one more fucking hair-object-hat-wig
>>
Most of these look so plasticy and greasy from styling them poorly. They look like helmets, not hair. Surely there's a better way to style them.
>>
>>8833620
>Loses points for blunt ends (god why did she and OP do that)
Blunt ends are definitely present in some hairstyles - biggest example that comes to mind is hime cuts. The blunt ends kind of remind me of little tassels too - seeing as how she left certain ends blunt and others more tapered I think this was done on purpose - stylistically I don't think it's a bad choice at all.
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (9 KB, 470x531) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
9 KB, 470x531
>>8835014
I got the whole Disney's Hercules feel
>>
>>8835800
>>
>>8835369
i agree, i'm sure some of this stuff is very hard to do, but the ending result barely looks like hair anymore, and wasn't that kind of the point of wigs?
>>
>>8833523
>>8833510
>>8833492
>>8833495

I think these are the best of the bunch. There's a lot more contestants than the earlier years
>>
>>8833495
The makeup is odd.
>>
>>8837273
I understand why they did it that way, but the white is just kind of blotchy. Should've also used more blush.
>>
>>8833510
I know this girl from university. She's really sweet and I'm rooting for her!
>>
>>8837201
No, there's just more contestants because it's the first round. Last year also had eight and if I remember they used to have even more before they started adding people outside of the USA.
>>
>>8833510
i adore this. the longer i look at it the more i love it
>>
>>8833495
Jak cosplay released a progress video and DESU I take back everything I said earlier about this being the stylist to beat. She used almost no techniques, the hair is just pulled back and curled int place with hot glue, and the most impressive piece - the crown - isn't actually covered in hair. I admit that I thought the red parts were hair too which is why I was impressed, but it looks like all of the foam is visible up close except for a few yellow braids. I hope Arda doesn't give this first place just because it's pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQaw-IlvpLUcSFjFFmD0HY1iSBwaE1Rqh&v=9-w0VB48NYk&app=desktop
>>
>>8837829
It doesn't really bother me, provided that's not all the techniques they use. I think a lot of people are stressing about using as many techniques in one wig as possible in an attempt to prove themselves, which just cause overstyled and awkward looking wigs. Jak is still one of the best in this round when it comes to making a good looking wig, but if that's the only thing they can do I'll get annoyed later.
>>
>>8837829
wow, now hers is my least favourite.
>>
>>8833492
has anyone else posted progress? I'm interested in what the Octopus one did.
>>
>>8835801
Man I'd kill to see a good Hera cosplay.
>sage for OT
>>
>>8833514
the wig looks as coarse as the one wearing it. it's just too much
>>
>>8837829
I don't really see the point you're trying to make. Wig still looks good to me and leagues above the others in this round, which consists of a lot of overdone try-hard bullshit.
>>
>>8833510
>>8833523

I think these two will win, based on complexity and style.

>>8833495
I like how this one looks, but it's not very competition worthy/ doesn't look like they tried that hard.
>>
>>8833510
This is so incredibly ugly.
>>
>>8833523
I think this one will win
It has the best overall design and complexity.
>>
My opinion of best to worst

Octopus
Braids with flower
Birds
Red Queen
Clusterfuck twin tails
Clusterfuck Horns
Down-do
Cornucopia
>>
>>8840174
You are incredibly ugly.
>>
>>8841891
Someone sounds butthurt.

I don't think it's ugly, but there is something very off-putting about the orange pieces of hair. I can't tell if she colored them and they turned muddy, or her photography is just poor.
>>
>>8841901
yeah, I think this contestant needs better photos for next time, because most of these are dark af
>>
>>8841837
I like the nicknames you used
>>
>>8833492
I like parts of this one i feel like there are too many braids..

>>8833495
i feel like this one is a little too simple but it'll probably be a favorite for that reason.

>>8833497
this is a hot mess especially that part at the end hanging off what even is that.

>>8833509
i actually don't hate this one though the idea isn't original

>>8833510
i like everything but the bird in the lower braid i am not sure why.

>>8833514
this one looks bad from every angle but the front, especially the back eugh.

>>8833517
i wish this one was better somehow it'll probably leave this round.

>>8833523
i kinda like this one not a fan of the ponytail in the back though
>>
I feel like the contestants this year are trying a lot harder than last year's.... but at the same time there isn't as much creativity (just weird kitchen sink designs). I wonder if this will change in upcoming rounds.
>>
>>8833510
The fact that she's wearing Furiosa's shirt is so distracting to me.
>>
>>8839827
>overdone try-hard bullshit
And covering objects in hair isn't that?
>>
>>8837829
aww i'm disappointed! i thought the crown was braided!

>>8839827
if you look at it without the crown it's not very impressive. the curls like that aren't hard to do in the areas she put them and the rotation they have.
>>
>>8844769
Yeah this was a lot more stunning when I thought the crown was all hair, not just a few braids. Without the crown, the wig is almost laughably simple compared to the others.
>>
>>8833497
It looks like she was going for Alexstraza from World of Warcraft but it's really hard to tell if anyone wanted source.
>>
>>8834438
She missed a spot with an orange piece and now it's bugging the crap out of me.
>>
https://arda-wigs.com/iron-wig-2016-round-1-results/

results for round 1 are in. U.P cosplay won, Cade cosplay goes home.
>>
>>8833510
so glad this one won!! my favorite by far
>>
>>8845009
I can't believe Lisa got 10 for presentation...
>>
>>8845098
Everyone got a 10 for presentation.
>>
>>8845098
Her presentation was NOT deserving of a 10, let's be honest. Why even include the category if you're going to give the same score to everyone?
>>
>>8845597
I think they do that if everyone has has someone modeling the wig. If the wigs were only on the wighead, they'd probably get less.

I also wish they had a category for like, concept, so it shows the contestant put effort in planning out the wig.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.