[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Brand Remaking Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: tumblr_nn2brwPh8O1r3ugsho1_1280.jpg (390 KB, 640x768) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn2brwPh8O1r3ugsho1_1280.jpg
390 KB, 640x768
I've fell in love with some brand prints, but the cut of actual pieces looks too boring to me, so I ended up thinking about ripping it off for printed fabric to make a new pieces of it. It doesn't look like common practice, even more I've seen a lot of negative attitude towards brand remaking, and now I'm worrying a bit about the whole project and looking for advice.

- Do you have any experience with remaking brand clothes? Pros, cons, horror stories.
- Would you ever consider buying of remade brand item? How do you think, is it fair to sell professionally remade item for average price of particular print or I have to price it down?
- What do you think about attending brand events while wearing remade pieces of actual brand? Can it be considered like a lack of respect to designer's work?
>>
>>8828672
By ripping it off, do you mean altering dresses you buy from AP? That would be cool

If you mean stealing their creative works of printed art to print your own fabric, I hope you die in a fire
>>
>>8828710
What a wierd line to draw in the sand.
>>
>>8828717
how new are you?

that's not even weird in the first place.
if you own it already, sure make something out of it, but unless you can print fabric at home you'd be paying for someone to steal the print off of the dress for you. and it doesn't seem likely to keep a dress you can't wear.
>>
>>8828717
Don't get cgl started on replicas. It's hilarious, but a thread killer.
>>
>>8828672
I've done it to a damaged AP dress that I didn't like the original anyway. It was actually really educational taking apart something that was professionally made.

I have no idea if anyone would buy the piece I modified, or what to price it at when I do decide to sell it. I'd probably buy a modified brand item if I liked the resulting design. I wouldn't pay more for it though unless I thought it was exceptional.

I heard some brand designers liked this? I guess it depends on the designer, but if you do it well, I can't imagine they'd feel insulted.
>>
>>8828734
some gulls once tore me down for suggesting that a con's rules on forbidding replica bags and shoes were a bit excessive

OP, this would be so cool. I'd be too scared to do it myself (sewing skills not good enough and whatnot) but I definitely would like to see final products
>>
>>8828761
>some gulls once tore me down for suggesting that a con's rules on forbidding replica bags and shoes were a bit excessive

Well, if you want to have a brand as a guest, having replicas running around would probably make them think twice.
>>
>>8828770
yeah but bags and shoes, 99% chance no one will notice. pretty sure a guest brand wasn't the case either, it was a small country thread iirc
>>
>>8828810
Like I said, don't start it. Knockoffs aren't replicas though for future reference.
>>
>>8828672
To me, the dresses brands put out are like art. They're highly valued and they are limited. Each piece is precious. If it's already a ruined piece, sure- go ahead and make something out of it. But if it just doesn't fit you, or you don't like the cut, then I'd say avoid it.
If you want to make something with the print, buying a replica may be best.
I would definitely appreciate something made with replica fabric over something made with the real thing, as there was no destruction involved.
I understand that may sound a bit OTT, but I have a soft spot for limited things.
>>
>>8828852
no, this is worse. lolita clothing isn't limited for the most part, it's the scale of which things are made that is smaller from say, normalfag fashion.

if she has the dress she can do what she wants, it sucks for people who like it or wanted it to go back into circulation but oh well. buying a replica just puts money in thief's pockets and gives them a reason to keep stealing.
>>
>>8828761
There was a girl that re-worked Bodyline's clock dress into something beautiful, as well as a few others.
I think if you can do that, then you can graduate into trusting yourself with something that expensive. But if you're so rich that you really don't give a fuck, then whatever.
>>
I have no input other than I fucking loathe that alteration pictured. It's hideous.
>>
>>8828852
The worst example of this I ever saw was when some guy converted a lilac Vampire Requiem skirt into a pair of corset knickerbockers.
>>
>>8828883
it works better in person imo
>>
File: tumblr_nxj26r48Bz1qbuomwo1_1280.jpg (602 KB, 1218x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxj26r48Bz1qbuomwo1_1280.jpg
602 KB, 1218x1920
this is made from two Bodyline JSKs
>>
>>8828923
YAS
not brand, but this is how it should be done
>>
>>8828863
The designs will probably never be put out again, and only so many are made. That's why I consider them limited.
I still think buying replicas is better than ruining a limited dress. I wouldn't even consider it brand anymore, honestly. It's just a brand's print.
As far as replicas go- sure, they're shitty. But I think it's better than ruining the value of a brand piece, especially since brand is limited so they'll most likely sell their whole stock anyway. Buying second hand replicas is also an option, which would be best.
>>8828897
God help us
>>
>8828923
Does anyone actually know how one would actually go about modifying JSKs into something like this? No one ever seems to post any tutorials or such on the subject. My sibling wants to get into sweet ouji but obviously sweet ouji is pretty hard to find and almost never done by brands.
>>
>>8828935
>The designs will probably never be put out again, and only so many are made.

What are MTOs and releases.

And buying replicas is worst than altering a brand dress. If you buy a replica, you just give money to those money hungry shops and will continue to make more where as if you buy directly from a brand and their clothing, you give your money to them.
>>
>>8828950
Most dresses aren't MTO or rereleased. I don't think buying replicas is good at all, but if its second hand you're not contributing to the business, and it's better than destroying a piece of art.
>>
>>8829062
Is it really destroying if it's done well though?
>>
>>8829064
Yes, as it's no longer in the original state it was meant to be and is thus no longer the original piece of art. It may be a nice adaptation, but if it's an adaptation at all then the original has been destroyed.
>>
>>8829078
Destroying sounds very negative though. I understand your point, but if it was a good adaptation I probably wouldn't say it was 'destroyed'. Destroyed sounds like you put your burando through a garburator or something.
>>
>>8828942
>No one ever seems to post any tutorials or such on the subject.
matticus nightshade, the guy in the pic you meant to quote, used a pattern in the shape he wanted. that is all i know. ask him on tumblr and he will probably answer.
>>
>>8828672
In before someone posts that ita with the 'modified' cats tea party jsk.
>>
>>8828863
>if she has the dress she can do what she wants, it sucks for people who like it or wanted it to go back into circulation but oh well.

Tifaret's (sp?) Cat's Tea Party jsk with the big slash across the middle tho.

>>8828897
my jimmies have been rustled
>>
>>8828918
This is amazing. He looks surprisingly good.
>>
>>8828950
I think you are new if you think MTOs and rereleases are a real thing. AP started this shit last year with the whole Holy Lantern shit, but until that it was HIGHLY unusual for a dress to be sold again.
Just look at those many many dresses that are still not rereleased like CTP, Misty Sky, Elizabeth Bride of Death, Romantic Rose Letter and so on and so on.
>>
File: tumblr_l6wsrfq0Kp1qd7k4xo1_400.jpg (35 KB, 394x526) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l6wsrfq0Kp1qd7k4xo1_400.jpg
35 KB, 394x526
>>8828897
Didn't he work at the SF Baby store? Prince something or other on EGL back in the day?

All I remember was that he got fired for being a dick to customers or some shit. I have the photo saved, but reverse image search keeps taking me to goddamn Pinterest and tumblr links.
>>
>>8832803
Yes, that's Saru. He was friends with that person who made the screenprinted chandelier skirts (Belle Bete?) who ran off and scammed everyone. Saru defended them by saying the people who wanted their items were fat pigs.
>>
>>8832790
he is my inspo for aging Tbh
>>
>>8832799
Misty sky has been rereleased and many others too but not MTO. MTOs barely started being a thing about two years ago or so.
>>
>>8832799
Look how fucking new you are.
>>
>>8828739
I would love to see what you made!
>>
>>8832821
>>8832835
I was mainly talking about MTOs but rereleases were still a lot rarer until a year ago. And Misty Sky had 2 rereleases but the thirst for a MTO is still huge.
It started with Cosmic getting a MTO shortly after release, same with Holy Lantern and now even British Bear. AP dishing out so many MTOs, rereleases and regular releases is definitely a new thing and some newbies started to think that AP will grant them every wish if they spam them enough. Just look at them demanding a Chocolate Rosette MTO and Chess Emblem shortly after release when even Misty Sky didn't get one.
>and besides, AP only cares for the chinese spam anyway
>>
>>8832803
That looks like replica fabric. Doesn't seem to be the right shade.
>>
>>8833642
It's real. This was the first release before they made replicas of the print, and he worked at the SF BtSSB store.
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 500x667
I want to attend an AP event in ouji, but I haven't seen anyone selling the few pants that were made.
I thought about buying an ouji set or even just pants remade from an AP print, but I'm pretty sure anyone who has remade anything is going to keep theirs' for a while. This is now my equivalent of a dream dress.
>>
File: bodyline remade clock print.jpg (181 KB, 542x800) Image search: [Google]
bodyline remade clock print.jpg
181 KB, 542x800
>not brand
Made out of three skirts
>http://daily-lolita.livejournal.com/5087676.html?page=3
>>
>>8829078
It's like brand based fan art. Calm your tits.
>>
File: photo (2).jpg (498 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
photo (2).jpg
498 KB, 636x636
>>8832844
I'm so salty because I just thought I'd suck it up and pay 30,000 yen more than retail for British Bear thinking it would only ever be that price on the secondhand market as is usually the case with AP releases. 5 minutes after it comes out there is a MTO that will be cheaper and I won't get half my money back if I want to sell it (not that that is ever my first intention)

Hope I can get a Holy Lantern under $500 after they come out. After that, I'm fucking done with AP.

Back OT, it always interests me when several brands pick up the same fabric and run with it
>>
>>8828918
Grandpa Adel is best ouji.
>>
>>8832844
I was honestly surprised that we got so many MTOs. I thought those who were whining in the HL threads were just delusional. Shows how much I know. I was able to get my zipper JSK because of said whiners.

When Chess Chocolate was released, there was a huge effort to keep Shopping Services out because Chinese lolis were buying too much and shutting out domestic lolis. It's funny how AP changed their tune.
>>
I'm considering doing this for bodyline's musical rabbit. I love the print, but whoever decided the cut must have been drunk.
>>
>>8835808
I love that a lot. Massive improvement over the original. I wish she had sax tights, though!
>>
File: bodyline remade horseprint.jpg (80 KB, 451x799) Image search: [Google]
bodyline remade horseprint.jpg
80 KB, 451x799
>>8835808
From same girl, made from 2 skirts.
>>
>>8836120
Adel is a straight pimp and I'm always thrilled when he shows up at a meet.
>>
File: bodyline remade sweetsprint.jpg (114 KB, 567x799) Image search: [Google]
bodyline remade sweetsprint.jpg
114 KB, 567x799
>>8836268
>>
>>8836120
Does he actually call himself Grandpa Adel or is that a nickname ppl gave him for being older?
>>
>>8828672
Jesus this is ugly as sin.
>>
File: P1060199_resize.jpg (2 MB, 1968x1432) Image search: [Google]
P1060199_resize.jpg
2 MB, 1968x1432
>>8832838
I just noticed this, but here's what I ended up doing with it. It was originally AP Frill Marine JSK (severally stained on the lower ruffles).
I prefer it over the original version and wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't cheap.
>>
>>8843205
Goodness, imo this is so much better than the original! I also love how you replaced all the rickrack. 10/10 talented
>>
>>8843285
Thanks anon! The rickrack was really all I disliked about it. I was planning on just removing it and replacing the white ruffles, but then lucked out with extra replacement fabric for the red stripes when what I initially bought had a stain on it.
>>
>>8836268

I think I actually may know her? There was a gal who's husband I worked with, and she made/altered lolita clothing, and wore it to our holiday party.

It was out of place, but her chord with the red overcoat was so goddamn pretty.
>>
File: tumblr_nx5nklRfdt1scjkzro1_500.png (675 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx5nklRfdt1scjkzro1_500.png
675 KB, 500x741
Just found this on tumblr, I believe it's modified.
>http://www.lolibrary.org/node/16615
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.