[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
continious larp thread previous one >>8754949
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103
File: DSC_0294.jpg (920 KB, 3940x2617) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0294.jpg
920 KB, 3940x2617
continious larp thread
previous one
>>8754949
>>
File: il_570xN.872516202_n0to.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.872516202_n0to.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>8782403
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
>>
File: IMG_1798.jpg (893 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1798.jpg
893 KB, 1600x1200
I got a beginners metal casting kit last year in Ireland and I've been making some custom pendants for people with it. Right now I'm just making plaster molds and prying/carving the metal out of it. It's a lot of fun.

>>8782403
HERE WE GO
>>
>>8782479
That one of yours? Got more? Looks awesome.

I was never good with small casts, but back when I was a bronze age junky, I did some blades.
>>
>>8782503
I usually melt down the random crap I've done (because no sense in wasting good metal) before I take pictures of it.

The other two pendants I've done for money I didn't take pictures of for some reason?

I like doing the tiny things because it doesn't take much metal and I get to do some pretty sculpture for it.

I've got a small group of miniatures I cast from the molds that came with the kit, but they aren't particularly exciting.

Once I run out of the nice, well behaved metal bars I have I'll start trawling thrift stores for pewter to melt down.
>>
>>8782526
> I'll start trawling thrift stores for pewter to melt down.

I used to do a little casting too. Be wary of unknown pewter alloys. Zinc and arsenic fumes will put holes in your brain.
>>
>>8782533
Yep- not to worry. I'm very paranoid. I use a well ventilated area +breathing gear. The fancy bars have a bunch of lead in them to lower the melting point, and while carrying a sealed pendant around on your neck (as long as you don't start chewing on them) won't hurt, the fumes from melting it down are still an issue.
>>
>>8782479
I'd totally buy a bunch of pendants off you if you were to consider selling custom designs.
>>
>>8782473
Last 40k larp event I was at had us going up against a Slaaneshi champion who had split her/his/it's soul into different aspects.
I knew that somewhere, Gropey would have been displeased.

It was really well done, we didn't know she had split, or indeed what the aspects were at the start. Game premise was a Pirate conclave, with the PCs trying to get the Pirates on our side, and her trying to get them on hers.

We couldn't straight up murder her as that would break parlay and the Pirates would turn on us with their fleet, so we had to maneuver her to break it.
>>
>>8782718
you dont get it.

Slaaneshi and slaaneshi are natural ennemies
Like slaaneshi and khorn
or slaaneshi and scots
or slaaneshi and normies
or slaaneshi and the concept of couples

Damn slaaneshi, its ruining slaanesh.
>>
Why are people who primarily use spears always such bros?
>>
>>8783138
because you doesn't know enough spear users
>>
>>8782403
>Wearing glasses in kit
Literally worse than Denim Warlords
>>
>>8783773
I was always interested in the logic (or lack of it) behind this. Can you explain this to me?
>>
So this thread is just for Hungarian larping? Sorry for being an interested newb.
>>
>>8782716
The problem with it is that with my current molding system, it pretty much destroys the mold every time so I can't make copies of one design. It works great for one shots, but until I can make galvanized rubber molds I can only make singles.
Shipping for a simple pendant out of the US wouldn't be as insanely terrible as shipping anything else though.

>>8783138
It's a pretty boss weapon for most LARP systems, so maybe their users are more chill as a result.

>>8783782
It is for LARPing all over, but HLF (and others) have their country of origin as their name. It is generally acceptable to namefag in LARPthread as LARPing is a hugely varied hobby that differs wildly depending on what country and genre you are interested in.
>>
>>8783782
nah, a thread about hungarian larping would be mostly me ranting as how is everything is shit forever and sometimes posting a few good pics but more likely several bad ones.
As tarantula said some of us who are regulars are namefagging because larps vastly differs in different countries. It's kind of a tradition that was made in the /tg/ larpthreads
>>
>>8782718
>Gropey would have been displeased.
>40k larp

Only because it was 40krap

>>8783138
Because
1: its not the protagdouchbag weapon (like swords)
2: Just like real life, they tend to dominate the battlefield with simplicity and reach
3: Spears are awesome

>>8783773
You know full well, historic glasses are the single hardest piece to get. Simple black, horn or metal frames are just fine.

>>8783775
He's trolling. Poorly.

>>8783782
Larp, historic recreation/reenactment, stage craft, historic martial arts and perversion. Any genre, anywhere in the world.

Tripping and out-of-4chan contact is the norm, as is actually interacting with folks in meatspace.

>>8783805
>thread about hungarian larping would be me being a braying jackass, showing off cool pic and armour, and being racist. Fuck Eskimos.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>8783849
>He's trolling. Poorly.
and? still interested in the explanation

also, I'm always a jackass and racist and whatnot, part of my manly essence.
>>
What does /lrp/ think of LARPing youtubers like MoMo O'Brien and Larpgirl?
>>
>>8784091
I personally think that in terms of actual LARP information or advice, they are totally useless and a waste of time. There are far better sites to get actual information from.

That being said, if they can make money by being giggly and talking about their LARP characters, best of luck to them.

They are essentially the LARP equivalent of Jessica Nigri, but without any of the actual fame and such.
>>
>>8784091
they are on my list of "people who I must throw in the murderfuck lake" with stephanie twilley too
>>
>>8784332
''Bring 'em behind the shed and gun them''
>>
>>8784390
you had your chance frenedian and you blew it
>>
>>8783849
I wish there was a good WH Fantasy larp over here, but I'll take what I get.
At least it's Rogue Trader so no Spesh Mahreens.

>>8783773
Not everyone can wear contacts you twat.
>>
What are thoughts on http://www.historiceyewearcompany.com/ ?
>>
>>8784839
I've heard good things about them, but if you're trying to get a prescription rather than decorative or reading, you have to buy the lenses elsewhere and then ship them to them- a little too much work for me.
They are also expensive, but that is to be expected.

I ordered some round glasses from a (nonhistorical) site that came to $20 total after a recommendation in the last thread and the glasses thread here on /cgl/. They should be arriving on Monday and I'll post some pics then.

The rule of thumb for glasses at games if you want to make an effort, but really really need prescription lenses is to make sure they have solid (all the way around the lens) metal frames and the arms have no plastic, or at least naturally colored plastic with no logos.

I've never been bothered by people in glasses at games unless they're wearing their neon thick plastic frames. Then it bugs me.
>>
File: USAMERICA.jpg (74 KB, 570x553) Image search: [Google]
USAMERICA.jpg
74 KB, 570x553
I think imma cop this Dope ass cowl
>>
>>8782479
Yo! tarentula, I have been looking for ages for someone who can do some bronze casting for me, Ive talked to four different people and they are all to busy to take on commissions. Do you think you'd be able to make a few items, Mainly Historical, out of bronze?

(pics coming)
>>
>>8784897
First pic is a belt divider, This is also a Bent divider, but i would need the connecting pieces that attach to the leather part.
>>
>>8784899
Probably a couple Belt plaques.
>>
>>8784902
Another Belt divider Pic.
>>
File: il_570xN.418272203_c2oq.jpg (54 KB, 570x321) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.418272203_c2oq.jpg
54 KB, 570x321
>>8784903
And a belt buckle similar to this(which is too small) which could fit a 1.5" strap.
>>
>>8784909
and finally a Belt strap end to fir a 1.5" belt, which would match the buckle. Which i cant really pull an example up of.
>>
>>8784897
Yo Shea. I'm only set up to do soft (model) pewter casting (which can literally just be done on a normal hotplate). Bronze casting requires more foundry setup than I have, and the pewter will not be strong enough to hold as a good belt divider.
>>
>>8783786
A one off piece would be fine. When you're set up do so such we should talk.
>>
>>8784917
Never going to happen. Sorry dude.
>>
>>8784916
Awh Rip. i have been looking for ages. No one who does bronze casting takes Commissions, even with Historical Pieces.

Well, I could use An amulet, and i would love to support Local Larp Thread Artisans(LLTA?) Would you be up to a commission?
>>
>>8784922
Send me an email at [email protected] with your design and I will get back to you.
(you too, Scottish LARPer, if you have a one-off you would like).
>>
>>8784398
Thats not all he blows.

>>8784839
These guys do decent work, but I heard their turnaround time is ass.

>>8784894
You wanna support the US BotN team? Cool beans. Buying those from icefalcon goes straight into our emergency medical fund.
>>
File: 1344730730976.jpg (56 KB, 264x292) Image search: [Google]
1344730730976.jpg
56 KB, 264x292
My girlfriend actually found a valid use for the god damn shitty symphony broadcloth we were talking in the old thread about.

Making packets.
-it's piss cheap
-made from cotton
-biodegrades basically instantly.
-it's neon bright, looking all magicy and making hits very obvious

I am seriously surprised that there is a VALID use for the stuff.
>>
>>8785040
>biodegrades
Really? It's polyester though?
I'll stick with my quilting cotton, thanks.
>>
>>8785044
>>8785040
>made from cotton
>it's polyester

I don't think you two are thinking about the same fabric
>>
>>8785044
No it's cotton
http://www.joann.com/symphony-broadcloth-solid-quilt-fabric/prd10006.html

It just feels artificial because it's the thinnest weave they can get away with. Also neon colors
>>
>>8785048
>>8785044
oh wait. You are right.
It's JOANNs cotton. So 30% cotton, rest polyester. Never mind on the biodegradable part then.

And my hate for that company rises yet again
>>
>>8785048
>>8785050
You know it's shitty fabric when it can convince me it is polyester but is actually cotton. Holy shit.
Good show, Esh-Esh. Your girlfriend has found the use.
>>
>>8785054
Ppppffffffbbbttt, Joanns' "What do you mean? It's totally 100% linen! Don't read the tag!" powers have struck once more!

Read yer tags carefully at Joanns, friends.
>>
>>8785009
Should i buy from ice falcons website then? this is on etsy.

i was considering a Patch aswell, but its too modern to look good on my garb.
>>
File: IMG_1904.jpg (587 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1904.jpg
587 KB, 1600x1200
>>8784881
Glasses arrived. They look really, really ridiculous on me and the lenses are HUGE.
They feel really sturdy- just as sturdy as my normal glasses, which is nice. The arms are brown and plastic, but not too bad. The nose pads are also plastic, but can be easily forgiven.

I paid $23 US + shipping for them, which cannot be beat.

I'm very happy with them, I got them from zennioptical.com. I absolutely recommend them for cheap, semi-in-genre glasses.
>>
>>8786643
Are they prescription lenses? If they are that a pretty good price.
>>
File: IMG-20151226-WA0016.jpg (3 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151226-WA0016.jpg
3 MB, 2336x4160
Only need a tabbard and then im done? What do you guys think? Tips are welcome

Ps: not my room lol
>>
>>8787021
Are you the posterboy for epic armory?
>>
>>8787086
The only thing from epic armoury is the gambeson i got for 15 euros, there was no one home to take a pic
>>
>>8787201
You sure about that? Because the bracers look a little too overly riveted to be anything but epic armory.
>>
>>8787348
truth to be told every larp shop armor looks like that, same true for the rest of the kit.
>>
>>8787021
The placement of your belt and the length of the gambeson makes your hips look significantly wider (assuming you are male). That, coupled with how big the armor is, makes it look rather off balance and makes you look tinier.

I believe a tabbard, especially a nicely made one with some color, will help with that. Invest in a long undertunic for best effect.

Your armor is pretty meh, but it is better than leather or nothing at all.

I really hope your tabbard has color and a pattern, you need some visual interest to take attention away from the armor.
>>
>>8787008
They are prescription (actual prescription- not reading glasses). I'm very excited.
>>
>>8787428
on the other hand he is pretty good for a BBEG minion or #57 mook
>>
>>8787428
Yeah i see..
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-30-01-40-51.png (873 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-30-01-40-51.png
873 KB, 1080x1920
>>8787348
All mytholon exept gambeson
Still need these btw
>>
>>8787739
... why? a breastplate or a non shit gorget would do way more good than just putting on some leg guard
>>
>>8787739
I wouldn't bother getting those and instead focus on more garb items.
>>
>>8787021
I think it looks pretty good man. Nice kit. If you don't have padding in the helm, i recommend you getting some. Also look twards a Double belt for your sword(will attach pic). And if you want to look even more legit, get a tunic under the Gambeson out of linen, get some belt plaques on that belt, and get some winingas.

Also you might want to drill a few holes in the face plate of your helm. Helps with Breathing alot and you WILL be able to tell a difference.
>>
>>8787777
>>8787739
I agree with Tarantula here. Too many people thing that Armor is your Garb, and while it IS part of your kit, it is not garb. Your character would not be wearing Armor 24/7. It simply doesnt happen.

And for extended larps of over a day, you want a few tunics and pants, less you become truly midevil and smell the part.
>>
>>8787951
Even beyond that, their battle kit needs some oomf.
Anon, invest heavily in that tabbard. Get a Surcoat if possible. Commission someone for it and get the best possible fit and your unique colors in it. It will matter far more than extra, ill-fitting leg armor that will hold you down.
>>
>>8787978
Hey Tarentula, you seem superb at garb design. If i'm going through Making the robes of destruction from skyrim as my garb, And my best features are my legs, and my shoulders. How do i draw attention to them? I don't want the attention to be at my waist. yet there is a belt, with belt plaques, and a cloth (belt?) under it. Yet I don't want Attention there so much.

How do i do. Also im having a hard time with colors. Right now i wanted to do Maroon/Crimson as the Primary color, With Tan, a brown, and a deep garnet red as the secondary colors, yet im not sure how well it works.

Also Layers are tough. And while i have a base tunic, and the over toga/robe thing. aswell as a cowl, i feel like i need more interest. Perhaps a cloak? any tips here would be nice.

if you wan't i can post a sketch of what im planning the garb looking like.
theres a pic of me in the previous thread if you wan't to see what i look like.
>>
>>8788820
>And my best features are my legs, and my shoulders.
It is very difficult to draw attention to legs without being female and wearing booty shorts, because for the most part eyes don't go down there. The RoD (robes of destruction) also go down to the knee, which removes opportunities for dat thigh.
To enhance legs: Make the pants an interesting color (NOT NEON), rather than a neutral tone. Make sure the slit in the side of the robe comes up high to show the thigh. However, if you have wide hips, don't bring the slit up all the way to the hips because it will fall open to accentuate it, giving you sexy girl hips. A leg wrap in a cream color will also draw attention to the calves, but you should balance it out with the same color somewhere on the top (an undershirt or wrist wraps are an option).
Drawing attention to the shoulders is as simple as wearing a cowl. Just make sure the cowl fits correctly- if it is too big it will make you look smaller and like you're drowning in it. If you get the cowl to fit nicely, it will add bulk to your shoulders and draw attention.

>I don't want the attention to be at my waist.
You aren't particularly overweight. It would be different if you were. Make sure the belt is not super contrasting with the toga/robe thing, you want it to blend in a little. Make the cloth underbelt of the same color as the tunic so it's not striking, make sure it has it's own closure rather than just being held on with the belt, and make it only 1 layer of fabric so it doesn't bulk out your middle. You want it to look like a fabric 'belt' holding your toga thing down, with a thinner leather belt over it, rather than a random bit of fabric around your waist. Do not over-tighten your belt, as it will make your garb bunch and draw attention to the waist. Make sure none of your garb *ends* at your hips or waist, even your basic tunic should come down 3-5 inches below your crotch. Fit is again important, so you don't have bunched fabrics.

Cont.
>>
>>8788846
>Right now i wanted to do Maroon/Crimson as the Primary color, With Tan, a brown, and a deep garnet red as the secondary colors.

This is an adjacent color scheme and will look fairly dull as it has no bright colors, only dark and deep ones. All your non-earth tones are shades and kinds of red. Even your earth tones- brown and tan- have a lot of red in them. I suggest adding a cream or a light grey to it as an accent color to bring up interest. Consider using the dark maroon for your pants, and keeping the brown for leather items and accessories. This will also make future shopping easier, since it's way easier to buy more brown shit than it is to hunt down the perfectly correct maroon cowl/pouch/whatever.

>Also Layers are tough. And while i have a base tunic, and the over toga/robe thing. aswell as a cowl, i feel like i need more interest.

You have plenty of layers. Instead, focus on detailing- make sure every piece has a border, perhaps embroidered. Make sure every piece has a unique texture. Those kinds of things will bring it together. Start considering your smaller accessories like jewelry. You can get a cloak- it will be necessary in cold weather- but you probably won't be wearing it all the time so it is not strictly a layer.
Based on the picture of the RoD, they have a lot of hanging fabric (as togas do). Make sure that the hang is right- the folds are even, uniform, and not so big that they bulk you out. Adding a cloak to it will make your bottom half bulk out while shrinking your shoulders, making you look heavier.
>>
>>8787947
I have padded in the helm, forgot my chainmail coif on that photo
>>
>>8788866
>>8788846
Now I kinda want to get my kit on and get critiqued by Tarantula.
>>
>>8789393
Do it. I will shove my opinions of fashion and graphic design all over everything.
I don't know jack about history, but goddamn do I have some opinions about general design.
>>
>>8789453
Bit late to do it tonight, might do it over the next couple of days.
>>
File: il_570xN.647244120_of78.jpg (41 KB, 570x408) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.647244120_of78.jpg
41 KB, 570x408
>>8789453
Well, for this project money is not an option. ALL the garb i have, i have trimmed in Authentic style Tablet woven trim. Which is where i was having trouble with the colors. as the trim is usualy made up of three colors in and of itself. (pic related. not my trim or the pattern id choose, but it shows how it has multiple colors)

The cowl will be a Tan/Natural Color. with Embroidery at the edge, and directly above that, a layer of braided leather strips.

both the toga and tunic will have period trim, and embroidery. except on the bottom of the toga, you can see that there's a batch of contrasting color. that will still be present, except there will also be trim, with a small bit of chain embroidery above that. Actualy ill just post a pic of my sketch. should be easier.
>>
File: IMG_0976.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0976.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>8789520
The belt, and the chest strap will be a dark brown leather.

except the chest strap will be made in a special fashion, a layer of leather, and ontop of that a tiny "seed" bead layer, and ontop of that another bit of leather to keep it in place. (will post a picture of an example.
>>
So I bought a 2 pole / 6 position switch for a project.
It has two leads and 12 pins... so far so good. But the post has TEN positions. WTF is this?
Anyone know why?

I guess I'll have to take out the multimeter...
>>
>>8789526
(just not as wide, or in the same colorway, or maybe the same colorway, it looks good.)
>>
>>8789529
nevermind, figured it out...
pole one goes from to position 1 to 10, while pole 2 goes from 7 to 12 and then back again from 7 to 10...
Weird, but actually useful for what I want to do...
>>
>>8789520
>>8789526
>>8789531
Well then it sounds like you have your plan already figured out and don't actually need advice. You know you can just post pics and talk about your garb if you like, right? You don't need to pose it as a question, this isn't Facebook.
>>
>>8789585
I have a plan, but im unsure if its a good one. you seem much more versed in this than I. And im conscious im going to look like a goof.
>>
>>8789558
engineers doesn't fuck around, most of the time if they made something in a specific way they have a very good reason for it. Well, good for them, not necessarily for you
>>
File: 2015-12-31 00.34.35-1.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31 00.34.35-1.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Prop AK47 for a post apoc project i'm working on. It is a hard rubber film prop from "Lord of War"
>>
>>8789531
I just looked more closely and had a giggle- that's a guitar strap isn't it?
Bards woo ladies all around with acoustic.

>>8790180
Looks lovely. Assuming this is for a LARP, how are they going to handle damage? I assume that thing can't actually shoot anything.
>>
File: 1317641864771.jpg (89 KB, 604x402) Image search: [Google]
1317641864771.jpg
89 KB, 604x402
I come from the future, it's already 2016 here, apparently the world didn't exploded... sadly...
Anyway happy whatever you try to be happy about
>>
>>8790463
Rifle sling actualy. but close.
>>
>>8790641
I can only be happy when i'm on drugs. the harder they are the better it is.
#odatbico2016

Pic unrelated i just like it because of the Pit pit birdie thing.

>>8790180
Sexy

The post apo i'm gonna go have airsoft rules.
for what i understood it's gonna be a 3 section larp.

The town = where the less combative citizens live and raider must not wear a group affiliation symbol or another costume if they want to come into the town to spend some time far from the shooting outside. there is a millitia active.
If there is figthing there is a red ligth flashing to indicate to people to get to cover and wear their protective glasses. foam weapon are more useful there because carrying unconcealed weapon will get you in trouble with the millitia.

The Wasteland = Where the other lives and you must ALWAYS wear the safety glasses.
this is where the survival game is. raiders, wastelanders, criminals, peacekeepers and people trying to survive end up there.
keep your gun close.

The Warzone = full on war between raiders and the millitia. roleplay appreciated but not enforced. your character does not die if you get shot there because it count as a nameless combattant. you just go to the respawn point and go back into the figth. the spoils of wars must be brougth and kept to your place so Wastelanders will probably have fun geting it from you if you dont get escorted.
it aint a pretty world.
>>
Vote for the Best Board of 2015

http://strawpoll.me/6415189
>>
>>8790678
but there is no /tg/ on the list
>>
>>8790463
It is pretty robust, no moving parts so suitable for larp.

Added this badboy to my armoury for mil-sim/larpsoft events.
>>
>>8791608
Oh, no, I mean rules-wise.
>>
>>8791666
Most systems should be ok, providing I don't try and hit someone with it.
>>
>>8791608
>is pretty robust, no moving parts so suitable for larp.
Explain to me what it's for again? Because as I understand it that's a hard rubber gun shaped piece that doesn't actually fire any projectiles.
>>
>>8792259
My question is the same as >>8792360

I'm asking how combat works in the game that these are for. Since they do not actually fire anything, how is damage handled? Or are they entirely just for show and the game is non-combat?
>>
>>8790680
/tg/ has really slipped in the last year or so imo.
>>
>>8792794
still better than the other boards
>>
>>8792360
>>8792369
A lot of UK larp systems that want firearms but don't want to use airsoft/can't get insurance for that kind of event use "bang" calls. SIngles/doubles etc depending on calibre.
>>
>>8792794
Shame really. As its my home. Traditional games have been on a decline recelenty
>>
>>8790678
I love how we're only ahead of /an/, no one else
>>
How dumb of an idea is it to go to my first event as a PC, by myself? Really want to get into LARPing, but I don't want to go and get beat up by foam sticks for two days straight as an introduction. I'm also the only remember in my group of friends interested in such things, so there's not really anyone else to go with.
>>
>>8793830
It's a great idea- just be prepared to approach strangers, and ask questions!
I think going by yourself is actually better than with a group of newbs, you get more chances to meet people.
>>
Best glue to use on Epic armoury style foam?
>>
>>8794126
fuck knows. most glue will eat it so be aware. Byson contact cement is generally good for this kind of things but never tried it with that speciic foam
>>
>>8794126
I've heard DAP glue works, but I have no idea which specific kind.
Hungarian is correct that a lot of glues will melt the foam. You'll also have a really bad time trying to re-seal the latex coating.
>>
>>8793830
contrary to popular beliefs most people got into larping by this method. Just pic a non-retarded larp and you will be good
>>
I'm trying to understand how Medieval armour pieced togther because apparently whatever I'm searching on google isn't explaining jack shit to me.

I assume the soldier would have put a hauberk or whatever you call the chainmail shirt, on first, which would roughly go down to the elbow on the arms, and about down to the waist or further.

Then would go on such like a gorget, followed by a cuirass or breastplate, you'd affix pauldrons or whatever the shoulder armour was called, bracers/vambraces, gaunlets. Can't remember what the leg armour was, but thay stuff after. I assume the armour you affix to the lower part of the cuirass had a name, that protected the hips and lower back.
>>
>>8794263
it's totally different for every different kind of armor from different periods.
choose one
>>
>>8794266
Let's go with 17th century and onwards, I'm not certain. It would have changed drastically as firearms came into the picture.
>>
>>8794268
>17th century and onwards
you sure disregard a lot of armors then.
Anyway, here is an example of early 17th century armor, more speciically it's from the thirty years war. IIRC it was the field armor of a prince or king or something along that line, can't remember now if you want it I can look it up.

But back to the subject: you put on the buffcoat, then you put on the breastplate and backplate at once, put on a belt to fix them on the proper tightness, put on gauntlet and helmet, done
>>
File: 30eves%2520%25286b%2529.jpg (1 MB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
30eves%2520%25286b%2529.jpg
1 MB, 2592x3872
>>8794275
and successfully forgot the picture
>>
>>8794275
>>8794276
Alright. Would chainmail not have been worn instead?

The buffcoat wasn't extremely protective against firearms, but did offer more comfort with worn armour.
>>
>>8794276
Looks more like English Civil war armour. Granted that started just after the 30 years war. The face bars are a common element from helms of the Parlementarian army.
>>
here is anothe from the 30 year war.

You put on the breastplate which already had the tassets, you don't have a backplate or gauntlets so doesn't have to fuck with those, put on helmet grab a pike and you are ready to be massacred

>>8794278
in the 17th century? nearly non-existent by then. even small pieces like the bishops mantle and such are pretty much died out. Maybe you will see one or two pieces here and there but it's pretty much uncommon and out of date.

Buffcoat was against cuts and the such as there is still pretty much pointy shit out there in the battlefield during that time, comfort has nothing to do with it, even for late 15th armours padding underneath wasn't necessary, after that it was mostly started to die out. (on current pikeman pic you can see it's worn on standard civilian colthing)
That armor was I think for cavalry use and the right arm doesn't have a gauntlet because it's easier to use pistols that way obviously.
>>
File: 30eves%2520%25285%2529.jpg (1001 KB, 2592x3872) Image search: [Google]
30eves%2520%25285%2529.jpg
1001 KB, 2592x3872
>>8794282
fuck forgot the pic again
>>
>>8794282
Hmm.

A google search of 19th century armour yields plate armour. Would a buffcoay have been worn under that?
>>
>>8794288
... I'm pretty sure that during the 19th century anything more than a breastplate and sometimes a helmet was pretty much uncommon.and even that's for mostly hussars.
There is one story from the 1848 during hungariy's freedom war that one austrian officer brought his ancestors full plate to the fight but story was more of a "look that retard over there" kind of one

plate armor mostly died out by that time
>>
>>8794290
See that seems inefficient to me, if they were still fighting full scale battles with swordsman. They'd lack an awful lot of protection on their limbs.

Not to mention they'd get so fucked by arrows if firearms weren't used.
>>
>>8794276
>>8794275
meanwhile I fucked up, that armor isn't from the thirty years war, I don't know why was it in that folder...
It was the armor of Pedro II, King of Portugal, ca. 1683.
Still 17th century thou and a very late example of the English style armour as
>>8794281
said
>>
>>8794292
right now I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trolling instead of being clinically retarded.

Swordsmen weren't a thing on the battlefied by the 19th century. nor were archers.
And the swords that actually were used were in the hands of officers and the cavalry.
Most people were way more concerned about being shot by a firearm or by the artillery
>>
>>8794295
It's the latter. I'm fairly stupid, but 19th century covers the 1800's, and if I'm not mistaken, there would have been battles on massive fronts.
>>
>>8794297
yes, battles on massive fronts. Like Waterloo.
Where most people had muskets, and armies used a lot of artillery. you will notice de distinct lack of swordsmen, archers and fucks the give about armor.

All in 1815, very early 19th century. and we aren't even started talking about late 19th century
>>
>>8794300
Yeah, I spoke with my dad, he's old as fuck and knows his shit.

Those battles seem so very retarded. Fighting with guns and cannons was effective from range, but when it got up close, barely any armour, and just having a gun with a long bayonet didn't serve well.
>>
Alright, thanks to all this plus other threads, I got what I needed to know.
>>
>>8794309
and yet this is what we do nowdays without the bayonets and more guns. Simetimes skipping the "get close" part.

But there is a good reason that nearly nobody wore armor during that time: it was more or less useless. By that time firearms got so powerful that only a really thick armor could have protect you from a very long distance. You could forget protecting the limbs because it would hinder you too much and even the breastplate would be too heavy for footsoldiers.
That's why the cavalry had breastplates that could still stop bullets from muskets from a reasonable distance of 20 paces for example... one century before Waterloo....

It wasn't like that people suddenly woke up one day and decided that they didn't need armor, it was a long process of trial and error over more than one centuries.
Firearms and armours coexisted on the battlefields for a ew centuries then firearms one the race, and people dropped armors for mobility, logistics and economycal reasons. Then as technology evolved so did armors and sometimes popped up again in different forms, like today's plate carriers but that's no longer the same thing
>>
>>8782473
Where and how does a 40k event work?
>>
>>8794503
Same as every other larp.
>>
>>8793830
Its alright, I did it my first time at a post apocalyptic game without knowing anything about what skillsets were common in the game. I ended up bringing glorious sword and pistol combat to them.
>>
File: TobiasCapwellarmour[1].gif (840 KB, 420x717) Image search: [Google]
TobiasCapwellarmour[1].gif
840 KB, 420x717
>>8794263

This should clear up a thing or two
>>
File: 1409609634178.jpg (622 KB, 2126x2870) Image search: [Google]
1409609634178.jpg
622 KB, 2126x2870
>>8794263

And somewhat farther back in time
>>
File: Modulakov painted.jpg (443 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
Modulakov painted.jpg
443 KB, 1000x562
Working on some stuff for a post apoc LARP. Nearly finished 2 guns, working on the costume now.

This AK just needs the stock which is in the mail. Oh, anyone got an ideas on how I can apocalypse this thing up? looks kinda bland at the mo.
>>
File: The Lever'alone painted.jpg (435 KB, 999x525) Image search: [Google]
The Lever'alone painted.jpg
435 KB, 999x525
And another. Same with this, looks a little bland. Gonna wrap the grip with a bandage.
>>
File: 2015-12-10 19.42.31.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10 19.42.31.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>8798906
>>8798970
Those are pretty nice.

I'd just recommend using a wider variety of colors. Have certain parts be painted in different metal tones (even if it doesn't make too much sense from a real world weapon POV). Also having larger parts off the shell be painted in black, greys and camouflage colors with added silver drybrushing for a worn effect always looks nice.
You obviously aren't scared of shell mods, so getting out the dremel and adding battle damage is a good way to add detail.
Rust never looks bad on post apoc junk as well.
>>
File: 20150117_192430.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20150117_192430.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>8799011
example of loads of rust, weathering and "damage"
>>
>>8799017
Sound advice, thanks!
>>
>>8794263
plate armor typically was attached using a gambeson or arming coat, and the chain mail you see peaking out from openings in the plates are just that, small sections attached for the sole purpose of defending the openings.
You typically did not wear armor on top of armor.
aside from the helmet, of course
>>
File: 20151103_223043.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151103_223043.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
>>8799031
You are welcome.
I made a shitton of post apoc blasters and general gear for my SO, our friends and loads of customers, so it's kinda become my specialty.
>>
File: kit.jpg (156 KB, 799x823) Image search: [Google]
kit.jpg
156 KB, 799x823
>>8799045
Any advice for costuming. It's still very early days with mine, I've got a few more pouches coming in the mail for the belt. Possibly some tyre shoulder armor? Some tools on the belt?
>>
>>8799038

This depends on type of plate you're talking about.
In the days of transitional plate armour and people were just experimenting left and right, it did happen that they slapped a plate over chainmail, depending on the wearer's finances and access to armourers.
Though, yes, as plate armour became more intricate, voiders became the norm and disappeared almost entirely over time.
>>
File: 20150624_230743.jpg (3 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
20150624_230743.jpg
3 MB, 1920x2560
>>8799092
Honestly, judging from that picture, it's pretty solid.

Better than about 40% of people I've seen at DR and almost 100% better than everyone I've seen starting out.

It looks worn and like its been through some shit, but it's something one would feasibly wear in a post apoc world. Convenient, self reliant and effective.
Unless you go for a very specific kind of character, my approach to generic post apoc costumes is "Make something a hiker, or deep wilderness camper would wear and then make it look like they wore it for 5 years straight"
As for armor, I have 2 generic rules
1) Old military, or sports armor with the rules above applied
2) scrambled together pieces of clothing and junk worn because it LOOKS like it'd protect you. Most people (especially uneducated ones) have no idea how armor really works beyond "put hard shit in between me and baddies"
>>
File: The Double-or-nothin'.jpg (505 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
The Double-or-nothin'.jpg
505 KB, 1000x562
>>8799132
Thanks! I'm actually a soldier professionally, so I'm trying to distance myself from the "militia" type characters and groups in the game. Gonna play with a scrapping faction and I'm considering working as a gunsmith. Tyre armor however, is apparently a staple of the faction and so I'm trying to figure out how to add that into my costume.

Heres another blaster I'm working on. Gonna try painting it a little different. With an orange / terracotta base coat with a heavy metallic drubrush.
>>
Sup LARPfags, question for you:

How do you get this 'poorly fitting, second-hand' look to your armour without making it look like total shit OOC?

I want to play as someone who ended up in an almost-war zone (where the game takes place), and hastily put on the first pieces of armour he stumbled across until he felt something close to safe.

The game set in Generic High Fantasy Realm #4875, so pretty much any armour will do, although I'd like to incorporate my (slightly oversized) gambeson in it.

How do you pull of such a look, if it's at all possible?
>>
>>8799668
let it rust and attach it in a slightly wrong way with the buckles.
>>
>>8799668
Get a super mismatched set, let it rust.
That way it'll look even more intentional rather than accidental.
>>
>>8798906
>>8798970
>>8799017
Sexy sexy guns

>>8799148
here's mine. love that little pistol.

>>8799132
i like that.
one of my friend is working on an armor made of conveyor belts and metal plaques.
it has a ottoman look to it.
Will post pic once he finish it.
>>
>>8799738
>>8799681
I'd guess (almost) overdoing it is the way to go then?
>>
>>8799821
If you are *purposefully* trying to look like shit, the best way to show that is to overdo it.
>>
>>8799132
Lookin' good!
May I ask what did you use for the base of the armour? (And the plates are EVA foam. Am I right?)
>>
File: 20150624_231622.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20150624_231622.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
>>8800282
Thx!
It's a baseball catcher's vest.
And yeah the plates are EVA foam.
>>
>>8800357
Also, how did you do the... Studs, or whatever those circle-y things are called?
>>
>>8784091
As someone who larps with Momo.
I don't mind her in game sometimes shes a half decent roleplayer. Gets kind of annoying in long doses.
But I can't stand her outside of that.
Just an attention whore. Does the cutesy bullshit to garner attention from all the nerds.
>>
File: 20150624_233023.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20150624_233023.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
>>8800462
Dremel.
There are certain grinding bits with an indent at the top.
I pretty much do all my EVA foam work with a dremel, band-saw and belt sander. With the dremel doing 95% of the detail work.

Also they are supposed to be rivets.
>>
I need to make a skull to wear. I've been working with some designs and rough prototypes, but unsure of what material I should make it out of.
I've been thinking EVA foam or maybe papermache? Any thoughts?
>>
>>8800617
My main 2 concerns are durability and heat.
I know paper mache will be cheaper. and i got lots of sand paper. I think It might be heavy and sealed tight though, so lots of heat.
I'm no expert on materials though.
>>
File: 2015-04-23 00.31.42.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-23 00.31.42.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>8800617
Does it have to completely cover your head, or is a mask enough?
If you just need a mask, I'd recommend checking out airsoft masks and imply paint one you like.
Even if you need to cover the entire head, it still might be worth getting one and simply building around it.
>>
>>8800639
I was looking for one that goes to about the nose and then around to the base of the skull
>>
>>8800659
Etsy has many sellers that sell resin skull masks/helmets. They can even be modified with a dremel and putty and suchlike once they arrive. It will probably be cheaper and look better than homemade options.
>>
>>8799976
>>8799821

What they said

To give some options on making it slapdash

>As already mentioned; rust or scraped off rust
>Dents, this is quite permanent and some organizers will give you shit for it, so consider carefully. No punctures, that's dangerous.
>Gambeson mismatch; a black sleeve on a white gambeson, pieces of diamond patterned on line patterned
>Chain mismatch; different ringsize, different interlocking style
>Era mismatch; breastplate with scalemail faulds, plate vambraces with a spangenhelm
>>
>>8799821
>>8800837

Oh, and not having a perfectly mirrored armour is also a good way of doing so, if expensive. Different pauldrons, different gauntlets, different greaves, or just one instead of two, armouring your swordside while leaving your shield side bare.

Don't do everything, though. That might just be overdoing it.
>>
>>8800837
>>Chain mismatch; different ringsize, different interlocking style
>>Era mismatch; breastplate with scalemail faulds, plate vambraces with a spangenhelm
that will just look plain shit
>>
>>8800840
>armouring your swordside while leaving your shield side bare.
This was actually done during the Roman republic but putting one greave on your sword leg is fucking retarded you want to armor your shield leg so the side most likely to get hit has some armor.
>>
>>8801170
There I was talking about arms, as from experience I'm far more likely to get hit on my sword arm than on my shield arm, for obvious reasons, should've specified.

>>8801037
Curb your need for accuracy just a little bit, Hungarian, he needs to look like the poor sucker that scrounged his metal from corpses.
>>
File: 1304029683946.jpg (105 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1304029683946.jpg
105 KB, 720x540
>>8801177
there is a difference between looking someone who scavanged his stuff to make a living and looking like you some retard how put boots on his head and took a nap in the shit pit.
mismatching equipment on a purpose to look good is not as easy as most people thing. Especially when you consider the fact that most people have no taste in it.
You can see a lot of example of shit tier when you look at people who try to dress "orky" but fail. It can be done good of course as there are a few examples of very good orc stuff but those guy put a lot of effort in it.

example of shit tier mismatching on pic
>>
File: 1328447200113.jpg (210 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
1328447200113.jpg
210 KB, 1000x666
>>8801201
and now look at these guys and realize they didn't put just random shit on themselves like a retard
>>
These threads akways seem to be 90% of knight/medieval/reneissance-ish larps, do you guys ever go to high fantasy, scifi, cyberpunk or other history related larps?
>>
>>8801223
yes, but the last time I talked about a pervasive urban fantasy larp that lasted a month nobody really cared
>>
>>8801223
Main my larp is a post apoc one.
I enjoyed it more than fantasy larp mostly just because of nerf guns. Costuming was a bit easier to get into as well but just as hard to make it look great
>>
Hey guys, I'm posting here in hopes you can give me some advice.

I'm making a costume inspired in the 12th century fashion (european). What kind of fabrics should I use for it to be as much historically correct as possible?

I'm a bit lost at this research... Thanks!
>>
>>8801223
What do you think high fantasy looks like? Most murican larps are high fantasy and look like shit. We don't post people who look like shit (except to laugh at).
>>
>>8801682
it's a little later but the MTA is always a good point to start from
http://www.gjar-po.sk/~kassayova9c/the%20medieval%20tailor's%20assistant.pdf
>>
>>8801201
>>8801203

I disagree here. I'd argue that the guys in the first picture do not look awful because of an armour mismatch.

The guy on the left looks awful because of a poor attempt at homemade armour. The "sugarloaf helmet" is badly hammered and welded/cobbled together sheet metal, and his body armour is an ill advised and very liberal interpretation of either scalemail or a jack of plates and his arm protection breaks the superfluous rivets rule.

The guy on the right doesn't look half bad, despite a complete mismatch in armour. A greathelm that saw its heyday during the Crusades (though it was also used after), a cuirass with a metal backing which is probably late 14th, early 15th century, a chainmail covering his complete torso, which would have been phased out by the time that breastplate rolled around, and the legs and arms again could be either 14th or 15th century.

His problem, especially compared to the orcs is not his armour composition, it's that he looks sterile. Some people can pull off sterile but not a rusty, mismatched can like that.There's no details or props, no hairs, no bones, no fur, nothing. The orcs are full of them, and this adds a lot to the effect.
>>
>>8801223
My larp is... medium-ish fantasy. Magic isn't everywhere, and its effects are mostly pretty down-to-earth, but most characters have access to basic magic, so it's not rare either.

I just don't talk about magic a lot because whenever I do, some other anon gets all 'tismal at me for liking things they don't like.
>>
>>8802669
Guy on the right looks pretty good imo, mismatched helm notwithstanding. His outfit is Fashion Souls as fuck.
>>
>>8801739
Wow, thank you! This is simply awesome!
>>
About helm, what do you use for larp ?
Most of those I find are < 3kgs, and not specificaly for behourd.
Is that normal ? if not where do you find the
others ones ?
>>
File: killing memes.jpg (135 KB, 570x655) Image search: [Google]
killing memes.jpg
135 KB, 570x655
My Witcher Medallion came in

The teeth are not even though should I get another one or just stop being autistic about it?
>>
>>8802669
Superflous rivets rule?
>>
File: il_570xN.833207433_dr90.jpg (94 KB, 570x815) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.833207433_dr90.jpg
94 KB, 570x815
>>8803481
Armor with shit tons of rivets looks like shit. Usually the rivets are there to cover up poor construction or because the wearer thinks they are 13 and it's still cool to wear studded gloves.

It's a great immediate way to spot probably shitty armor. It also heavily violates the practicality-first rule of armor as it serves absolutely no benefit other than decoration.

I personally think it's possible to do decorative rivets tastefully, but people almost always go full hog and just cover shit in them.

Pic related is the most hilarious example of the extraneous rivets (and also the "use natural materials for the love of god") rule I've seen in a while.
>>
>>8803596
Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>8803596
Alternate explanation: they played D&D or any JRPG and genuinely believe leather armor is more protective when it has studs all over it.
>>
>>8802669
he looks terrible for a lot of reasons but the mismatching armours is among them, for both.
And that pic represents the best how would someone look like i they just throw whatever they find and the kitchen sink on themselves and let it rot while not giving a shit about it the slightest.
if you want to look like someone at least marginally competent you need armor pieces that at least have something to do each other.
I'm not saying it has to be authentic or X years to each other but chainmail mittens to a peascode harness wearing a japanese helmet and some fur boots will look like shit. It's pretty much like with clothing, your stuff has to watch in some sense otherwise it's just a mess
>>
File: DSC03132.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC03132.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>8803438
I use this although it's probably around 3kg, never really weighted it.
But thin and light helmets for larp is pretty much usual, after all they doesn't really have to protect you from anything, weapons and rules are made in a way that you won't hurt yourself even if you are hit on the head
>>
>>8803461

Id ask for a fix.
but it doesn't look terrible.
>>
File: AH6306N-Imperial-Gallic-A.jpg (13 KB, 237x224) Image search: [Google]
AH6306N-Imperial-Gallic-A.jpg
13 KB, 237x224
>>8803438
I use a gallic A. It's pretty nice, cheekplates are a little too far forward for my taste, finding new helmets that fit my Roman kit can be difficult all the Indian faggots who make stuff usually plan for tiny heads.
>>
>>8803834
it's the top left fang I have a friend though that the same happened to his.

Thoughts? I could email them for an exchange or something
>>
Any tips on setting up a Landsknecht kit?
>>
>>8804111
do you speak german?
>>
>>8804113
In fact, I do. Not too well, but I do. What else should I do to achieve such fabulousness?
>>
>>8803759
I think that's the point, though. Anon is TRYING to make it looks like a mess.
>>
>>8799148
so a Junker eh?
>>
File: NOBUNAGAS[1].jpg (103 KB, 799x453) Image search: [Google]
NOBUNAGAS[1].jpg
103 KB, 799x453
>>8803759
>a peascode harness wearing a japanese helmet and some fur boots will look like shit.

Oh come now. This looks alright.
>>
>>8804179
then you are in luck as there is a pretty good guide for landsknecht stuff in german. The Landsknecht camp in drachenfest put it together as they have kind of strict rules if you want to join them. Obviously you don't have to follow all of this if you don't go there but it's still a good guide.
http://www.kulueke.net/pics/larp/landsknechte/landsknechtleitfaden.pdf

if you need specific patterns for some stuff just ask me I'm pretty sure I will have it or at least I know someone who has it
>>
>>8804443
you would be right if those weren't japanised helmets that come from europe (and so are the breastplates, term is Nanban dou) and only the right one is a very early peascod (and he has only a hat). Plus nowhere can be seen fur.
And don't forget all of them is modified to match each piece so it is actually a matching set, not a scavanged one put together

>>8804314
no, the point is to look someone who scavanged his shit but still in working order not someone who just put on themselves the first things he found.

again, here is an example of what will count as total shit that you don't want to follow
>>
File: 1357400616531.jpg (67 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1357400616531.jpg
67 KB, 450x600
>>8804590
and here is an example that you want to follow
>>
File: IMG_0126.jpg (455 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0126.jpg
455 KB, 1600x1200
>>8803596
the reenactors over at the Armour Archives have a phrase for this: "gluing nickels on - " as in
"this milanese harness would look so much better if you just glue nickels onto the pauldrons"

>>8784897
>>8784899
>>8784903
>>8784909
>>8784915
Shea, I have lostwax masters for belt splitter rings and fixing plates for 1-inch thickness belts, here ready to be cast, based off originals from Gotland.
I can have them cast in you choice of silicon bronze (more golden-yellow bronze), phosphorus bronze (more copper-red), or 925 Sterling Silver.

I could do a 1.5 inch version if you want to pay for it to be made.

I also have a master sculpt for an exact repro of the Cronk Moar viking belt splitter and other belt parts, which is a splitter with an 8mm diameter cabochon stone set in the centre of it. I've got quartz crystal (like the original) red garnet, and orange amber cabochons ready for that one, if you want. will have to dig it out of its protective packing, to get a photo though.

- cutleranon.
>>
File: belt.jpg (227 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
belt.jpg
227 KB, 1600x1200
and if you want to have it made entirely, I can do tooled veg-tan.
>>
>>8802831
The anon you replied to, I get it.
Sometimes I feel like if I don't larp with a huge armor I'm not considered a larper here.
>>
>>8804683
As long as you don't throw beanbags at people pretending they're fireballs you're alright with me.
>>
File: index.jpg (28 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
28 KB, 480x640
>>8803834
>>8804105
Heres a better picture you can see what I'm talking about when you look at the top fangs and compare the length of the two.
>>
>>8804789
Oh god no, I don't think anyone does that this day and age.
>>
>>8804875
There called "spell packets" and if this thread is to believe, they are the plague.
>>
>>8804683
We talk about armor a lot because armor is one of the more complicated aspects of LARP (and is one that is much more universal- almost all genres have some kind of armor).

I usually don't wear armor. My system doesn't require it. You don't need armor to be a LARPer, it's just another aspect of the hobby.

>>8804875
They are absolutely still used. There aren't many other ways to represent in-game magical ranged attacks.
How cringy they are depends on the system.

>>8804887
I think you must be thinking of another thread. This is the thread that hates extraneous rivets, overcomplicated rules, gypsies, full contact, and, in HLF's case, everything.
>>
>>8804970
I spell packets goes under the "everything" part so I hate those too
>>
Post cool fights or videos from LARPs.

Starting with a nice fight from the last Drachenfest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJssOLDh44
>>
>>8804996
>larp fighting videos
>cool
maybe it's just me but nearly all the larp fights looks meh at best and retarded at worst from an outside viewpoint.

The only exception would be the talsker wölfe videos but those aren't really larp fights but choreographed stunts that they tried a fuckton of times beforehand
>>
>>8805001
Talsker Wolfe were indeed pretty good, but just like you mentioned-it's choreography, so it's pretty much like watching a film with latex boffers instead of sword replicas.

Maybe most people think like you and I'm the exception, but I believe in case you're experienced enough, you can pull off some pretty decent improvised fight scenes.
>>
>>8805012
>Maybe most people think like you and I'm the exception, but I believe in case you're experienced enough, you can pull off some pretty decent improvised fight scenes.

even with experienced fighters the weapons are just aren't fit for a good fighting scene, especially not for improvised ones. But probably that's just me having too high standards.
>>
>>8805013
Because they weigh nothing and bounce off and all that?
>>
>>8805016
bouncing and bending.
Also you can't do nearly any binding
>>
>>8805016
if you want to do good fights, do HEMA.
Want bad fights that are rough, do HMB/ACL/Bohurts
Want to do fights that look pretty? just re-enactment will do there.

LARP fights are for when you want to be silly and have fun, IMO - and I wouldnt want it any other way. Call me a crotchety old git, but I like the fact that its open to everyone, from the flailing dicksword-waving newbie to the experienced, and that no-one's going to get hurt either way.

( Though I always wanted to do a LARP George Silver... longwinded, explains how everyone else's fighting is wrong, how they should all use their true (insert species/nation> fight, and all that. And absolutely never fight, because it would be "demeaning". Till the day comes when there's no other choice. At which point, I'm shown to have no skill at all.... )
>>
>>8805034
>( Though I always wanted to do a LARP George Silver... longwinded, explains how everyone else's fighting is wrong, how they should all use their true (insert species/nation> fight, and all that. And absolutely never fight, because it would be "demeaning". Till the day comes when there's no other choice. At which point, I'm shown to have no skill at all.... )

I already did that. I was basically a herald for a fencing school. I just presented some of our students to nobles and shit.
Although I was attacked once by a guy with a dagger and had to kick his ass unarmed.
And I shot down two high nobles with a firearm... it's kind of complicated...
>>
>>8805041
Oh no, you kicked his arse.

I want to play the character who tells EVERYONE how much better their school is... and is in fact absolutely clueless, and gets his arse handed to him.
>>
>>8805052
I couldn't help it, the other guy was a complete noob. Anyone with a little experience would have defeated me
>>
>>8805041
Unarmed? What mechanics do yuo guys use for unarmed fighting?
>>
>>8805094
... none?

The whole fight system is pretty much trust based, no numbers or anything
>>
>>8805100
Oh, so you just roleplay it? Like, theatrical-fighting?
>>
File: DSC01315.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC01315.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>8805124
well, there are guidelines, but the baseline is whatever you do to the other characters you have to assume he will no how to react to it. And when someone injures your character you have to figure out what kind of injury is that and act accordingly or to your best knowledge. So if someone pokes your fingers a little's sad but it won't hurt you that much. If someone slashes at you while having chainmail you can most of the time ignore it. If someone stabs you in the stomach you will most probably out o the fight and try not to bleed out, etc.
there aren't any fighting skills whatsoever (and only a handful of other)
unarmed fight and grappling is allowed to a light level as long as both participants can do it safely. And obviously if you know the other guy and for example train with him since X years you are allowed to do more things against him if he is also okay with it. pic related
>>
>>8804970
>How cringy they are depends on the system.
No it doesn't, they're always horrible.
>>
>>8804642
Oh shit! I do want! Why don't you shoot me an Email and we can get something set up?

[email protected]
>>
Also Ive been having a real rough time of finding a Deep Maroon/Burgundy wool fabric that wasnt boiled wool. Can anyone speak from experience on boiled wool? would I die in the summer time? would it be a good robe fabric?
>>
>>8806052
Boiled wool can be many thicknesses. It's usually used for outerwear though, like cloaks.

Whether or not it's suited for regular clothing depends on how thick it is.
>>
>>8806052
use hemp!
>>
>>8805465
>pretending to be an elf wizard when you're actually a500 pound hambeast is srs business gaiz
>>
>>8807114
If you're going to play pretend you might as well do a decent job at it.
>>
>>8805465
See, this is pretty much exactly what I was talking about above. 'Tismal.
>>
>>8807140
Do you have any alternatives to a magic system, genius?
>>
>TFW want to play an elf, but also don't wanna lose my magnificent beard

This hobby is tough
>>
>>8807142
it's isn't the spell packet which is the problem mostly. I mean there are ways to make them decent.
The real problem is when wizards are throwing shit as magic the system more othen than not is shit and unbalanced

>>8807150
you can play a bearded elf. And if anyone have a trouble with it tell them they can suck your dick. Easy as that.
>>
>>8807149
Have you tried not larping D&D?
>>
>>8807152
You are correct that magic is difficult to balance properly. That's a far cry from "any game that uses magic is shit."
>>
File: 1303093532989.jpg (509 KB, 633x700) Image search: [Google]
1303093532989.jpg
509 KB, 633x700
Hey folks.

>>8794503
I don't know, because 40k is ass, and fantasy is better.

>>8787021
Better than most, but to a trained eye, it looks.... Off. Its armour designed by people who have seen pictures, but do not understand it.

Also, get a proper belt, wear it around your

>>8794278
Chainmaille was pretty much gone after the 1600's in europe, except from some very early accounts of European soldiers being issued it in north and south america, because it was bogging down the armouries, and stopped native arrows just fine.

>>8794309
...Which is why they had simple hanger swords and long knives for infantry, and officers the officers tended to have longer sabres. Guns made armour useless, but stabbing a bitch is still important.

>>8799668
Light rust, poor strapping, and general discomfort.

>>8801037
>>8801177
I second Hungarian. That would look like shit. The problem is, thats what 80% of larpers look like anyways.

>>8801736
Like pic related. He is high fantasy, but he looks coherent and believable. His equipment, while gorgeously designed and thematic, make sense. Compare him to the shlubs in the background.

>>8801201
That picture triggers me. Not just the armour, no. The guy in the ring with sunglasses and white tennis shoes. I am assuming he's a ref/marshal...

>>8803461
I can't even tell. Looks great.

>>8803596
KILL IT WITH FIRE!

>>8803438
I use my SCA/Bohurt helm, with or without the visor. Its heavier than most, but I wear it purely for in game reasons.

>>8804111
All the colors. At once.

ALL OF THEM

>>8804443
I love gaijin armour!

>>8804590
Ugh. late 80's early 90's SCA at its worst.... So much could have been hidden under a tabbard, but those hockey gloves need to be covered with maille or fabric. Im sorry you had to see that.

>>8804642
You an AA'r? DARK APPRENTICE!

>>8804832
Seeing it now, I still wouldn't worry. That other tooth will chip eventually to match.
>>
>>8807463
I'm remembering a conversation with a friend who wanted to play a master of disguise, and his idea was to have little cards saying who his current identity was and have anyone in-character pretend he was someone else. I raised the obvious point why he couldn't just have a proper disguise and genuinely decieve someone, which made a lot of sense to him, but it makes me wonder why so many people have an intrinsic need to make a rule for something in larp rather than do it for real.

It eventually lead me to think that a core axiom of larp system design should be that you should only make a rule for what can't be reasonably or safely be done for real without requiring more than one year of formal post-secondary education. If I had my way, I'd take a page from Mikhail Koshkin, lead designer of the T-34 and add 'Any idiot can create something complicated.' Combat, health and healing are good examples of things that most people would probably already accept in that category.

Magic would also fall into this, but apart from generally looking a bit stupid, I also keep noticing an aspect of general game design that people keep forgetting is allowing for reasonable counter-play. An example of awful design that springs to mind were people in my game were insisting on a 'consecration' spell that prevented downed players from being revived for the round. Not only was the proposed spell trivially easy to execute, the downed player could do jack shit against it, while it was happening, their teammates could do jack shit and it once cast and put them out of the game they pay good money for for a significant amount of time.

I guess this raises the question of what kind of magic should be implemented that's fair, and isn't "LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT" retarded.
>>
>>8807656
Look what the dog dragged in. Where you been?

>>8807780
Gropey's dead system used shit like eggs filled with poppers and glowsticks and smoke bombs. Seemed cool.
>>
>>8807780
You raise a fair point.

My ideal idea of a system that includes magic would be one that doesn't have offensive or battle magic. I think they add an interesting style of play, and I can appreciate wanting to play the battle mage, but it will always look pretty dumb because to a certain extent it has to be some physical representation of a thing that doesn't actually exist.

I think my ideal would be a system where the only magic is healing magic, and maybe ritual magic.

The problem then is that it is hard to convince players to play healers- there's not much appeal. Even worse, ritual casters would need to be heavy plot points to be interesting to play ("Edgar has received a vision as a result of his ritual that will show us where to go!") which would take away from the game as a whole and nullify real world skills, imo.

In the long run I think that including any skills that cannot be physically represented at least a little bit will *always* look idiotic from the outside. I have no problem suspending my disbelief for magic. If I can believe the chick in the ears is an elf, I can believe the guy throwing packets shouting "I call forth a fireball!" is throwing fireballs. I get buttflustered by people not putting effort in, rather than this shit.
>>
Looking for inspiration. Good anyone dump good pictures of larpers who like like they're level 1? That is, clearly fantasy, but not really ornate or fancy?
>>
>>8807835
The main larp I take part in has a magic system I think k you'd like.
It's split into ritual and battle magic
Battle magic only had a small amount of spells, all support based really - Healing and things like Entangle, Paralyse and Repel. They don't use spell packets, instead they must be 10 seconds of obvious roleplay, loudly calling on the runes, things like that, then must he delivered to the target with either a hit from a wand, rod or staff within 10 seconds or the spell fails. These have the same physrep requirements as a dagger, one handed weap and spear respectively.
Each hit does one point of damage, same as every other weapon, so it balances nicely.

Ritual magic is has various uses, from combat buffs, scrying, and other buffs to curses. These take roughly 10 minutes of roleplay to perform. The cool thing is that each Nation on the game does rituals in a different way. There's rituals done as stage plays, Gregorian chanting and more "normal" magical incantation. I've even seen one done with dancing and singing around fire rope at night.
Watching the rituals is always an interesting thing to do.
When I'm home from work I'll look out some pictures.
>>
>>8807114
>Pretending to be an elf wizard when you're actually a 500 pound hambeast

I'd prefer the beanbags

>tfw they wear the cheap plastic gossamer butterfly wings, too
>>
>>8807656
Hi Grooples!
>>
Some of my favorite players are the really, really fat dudes. Especially when they know they're fat and play characters suited to it.
>Pair of brothers
>One guy is HUGE, 350 pounds or so and 6 and a half feet tall (198cm you heathans)
>Has a voice that travels for miles
>Other guy is skinny as a rail and barely 5 feet tall (152 cm)
>They are a pair of orc brothers, Longaxe and Shortaxe.

They were hilarious. I miss those guys.
>>
>>8807955
Please find some pics!
>>
File: 922.png (547 KB, 374x667) Image search: [Google]
922.png
547 KB, 374x667
>>8807835
Person you replied to. In my game magic mainly exists as 'flavor'. Bandguns can be repurposed as wands, and healing can be done via magic, requiring a think 'leather'-bound tome or a staff of significant size, or with a surgical kit (my preference), as well as GM required rituals and healing potions on weekend events. There's still a sizable portion of players dedicated to healing, myself included, common reason being more roleplay opportunities away from the front line, though to many this is just repeating the same healing chant over and over again, often (to my irritation) a disney/pop song.

>>8807973
Pic Related
>>
>>8807780
>but it makes me wonder why so many people have an intrinsic need to make a rule for something in larp rather than do it for real.
First reason: they don't trust each other.
Second reason: they don't trust each other because they want to WIN. (in a non-competitive game mind you)
>>
File: DSC00617_2.jpg (681 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC00617_2.jpg
681 KB, 2448x3264
>>8807879
is shit tier allowed? Or you want actual inspiration?
I mean this guy could be the definition of level 1
>>
>>8807835
>The problem then is that it is hard to convince players to play healers- there's not much appeal. Even worse, ritual casters would need to be heavy plot points to be interesting to play ("Edgar has received a vision as a result of his ritual that will show us where to go!") which would take away from the game as a whole and nullify real world skills, imo.
well, if your game is all about fighting then yes this is true.
>>
Anyone got some examples of 10/10 kits? (Or garbs, as I've seen they're being called in here)

Also, can anyone tell me about Biccoline? What do you do in there, how large is it, what difference does it bear from Drachenfest, etc
>>
File: DSC_0078.jpg (990 KB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0078.jpg
990 KB, 4288x2848
>>8808228
have a few of those as well. Any particular interest?

About the difference between Biccoline and Drachenfest... While I never was on Biccoline as far as I gathered from the pics and tales, Biccoline is a little smaller, but have more buildings and more variety in terrain not just a field, more separation between camps etc.
Also probably colder.
But Frenedian will tell you more if he gets here
>>
>>8808232
Any sort of warriors, really. Been told the character I was making for Drachenfest doesn't really fit the theme of our group, so I'm looking for more inspiration and ideas.

I appreciate how active and helpful you're being on these threads, btw.
>>
>>8808242
which camp and which group? Grand expedition?
>>
>>8808203
Actual inspiration, please. Pics like that make me want to vomit.
>>
File: rcRD28.jpg (33 KB, 376x760) Image search: [Google]
rcRD28.jpg
33 KB, 376x760
>>8808463
Level one Roman fighter right here.
>>
File: 1303486022410.jpg (77 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1303486022410.jpg
77 KB, 800x600
>>8808463
you are no fun
>>
File: DSC02295.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSC02295.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>
File: 1318557328113.jpg (122 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1318557328113.jpg
122 KB, 800x534
>>
File: 1318819235744.jpg (332 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1318819235744.jpg
332 KB, 1024x683
>>
File: SAM_2294.jpg (2 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2294.jpg
2 MB, 4320x3240
>>
File: SAM_2313.jpg (2 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2313.jpg
2 MB, 4320x3240
>>
File: SAM_2040_2.jpg (1 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2040_2.jpg
1 MB, 4320x3240
>>
>>8808516
If you want to post the bad ones, no one's stopping you. In fact, post them, so I know what not to do.
>>
>>8807656
>You an AA'r? DARK APPRENTICE!

Blankenshield! Blankensheild! Blankenshi- no. lets not go there.

Been an archiver for, oh, most of a decade.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.