[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Katsucon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 11767_640.jpg (85 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
11767_640.jpg
85 KB, 640x426
I know this is still a couple months away but I'm gonna be going to this con for the first time and it'll also be my first time doing some actual travelling (plane) to a convention.

what's it like? things to avoid? must-do's?
>>
>what's it like?
A bunch of cosplayers side-eying each other and measuring each other up.

>things to avoid?
Formal ball unless you're with a decent size group.

>must-do's?
Picture in the Sacred Gazebo.
>>
>>8775162
>must-do
book photoshoots with all the photogs
>>
>>8775199
>photogs are already booking
>sumiko.foto is spamming the photography comm

Kill me.
>>
>>8775201
The best of your photos is painfully boring.

Don't advertise here. Begone with you.
>>
oh, I should've mentioned I'm a lolita, probably gonna skip out on cosplaying but if I do I wouldn't have anything noteworthy enough to warrant booking a photoshoot for, lol. I definitely am gonna try to get a picture in the sacred gazebo though. I know it's a massively popular place for pics, when is a good time to go to just get a quick couple of photos?

any interesting lolita stuff happening? also, what is the programming like?
>>
>>8775214
>when is a good time to go to just get a quick couple of photos?
honestly? the dead of night. the gazebo is always fucking mobbed durin the day, and usually still pretty crowded at night. but i was in the area around 2 or 3 am last year and it was nearly deserted, only time i've ever seen it that way. either try staying up or you'll have to wait forever during the day to get in.

speaking of the holy gazebo, i still cannot believe we got it locked down for 2/3 of the dangan ronpa shoots this year i am SO freakin excited!!
>>
>>8775199
all the decent ones were booked months ago. if you missed out, better beg your friends for photos.
>>
>>8775162
It's my first time at this con too.. I'm finally going with a bunch of friends, and meeting a few more friends there. This might be one of the first conventions I actually have fun at. I'm excited too.

>>8775220
I'm overbooked, but I still want to book more. I want to shoot 24 hours a day at this place.
>>
>>8775162
>things to avoid?
Gazebo
>>
I have so much stuff to do before Katsucon. Luckily I have a job that I can do my sewing while there so that's a major bonus... even though I still don't know what I am making quite yet.

>what's it like?
It's ok. Kind of pricey as far as food and stuff goes but the hotel is lovely and has some pretty cool places for photos.

>things to avoid?
That cringe-tastic Lolita meet on Friday. It's beyond a hot mess.

>must-do's?
Hydrate before hand, bring your snacks, food, and booze... because I swear it's a party con.
>>
>>8775214
The girls over at the Charm City Comm are working on getting all the Lolita events together and organized into a list. The Luncheon was posted earlier today, and the girl organizing the swap meet is doing it on Saturday sometime after the luncheon ends. Are you in the Charm City or Metro Lolita group?
>>
>>8775331
>It's ok. Kind of pricey as far as food and stuff goes but the hotel is lovely and has some pretty cool places for photos.
that reminds me, i was gonna ask where does everyone eat?

>That cringe-tastic Lolita meet on Friday. It's beyond a hot mess.

is that the one with the drama on the event page from that one random guy making creepy comments? whats up with the drama behind the host on that, is he a sissy?

>>8775341
i'm not, should i join/contact one of those comms to find out more stuff?
>>
>>8775354
>where does everyone eat?
potbelly. always potbelly

the sports bar that's in the hotel is pretty good too, and not too pricey. but it can get super crowded depending on what time of day so be prepared to wait a while for a table
>>
>>8775354
I have no idea what the hell all if going on with that meet i just know that I've been sitting in the corner cracking up at that hot mess. One of the mods from Charm City was pissed about that meet like she did a whole long lecture on it and it was amazing (but she also shuts down drama that bleeds into the comm from here too).

If you live in the DMV they yes you should totally join one or both of the comms. That way you can stay up to date with all the meets and everything that is planned at the comms. And if you're in PA I know a number of girls from Philly still are in Charm City too.
>>
>>8775408
There's a really good crab cake place that's a bit of a walk away. It wasn't too crowded -- but maybe that was because of the horizontal snow last year.

Elevation Burger's always a popular choice, too.
>>
Any advice on finding room parties? Found one randomly thanks to a sewing workshop two years ago and a friend hooked me up last year, but that was all luck.
>>
>>8775500
Lack of clothes
>>
>>8775500
look up the 1449 guys. they have the best room parties
>>
>>8775354
>cosplay dude wants to host 'Lolita Gathering/fashion walk
>knows nothing about lolita
>can barely dress himself.
>idea is a shit show in planning and execution.
>opens meet to general public inviting pedos, creeps and lady beard cosplayers.
>pedos start harassing actual lolitas and minors.
>people step in, get mods and katsu security involved because of ACTUAL safety concerns.

From the last I heard we've been able to convince the guy that made the event to cancel but we'll see.
>>
>>8775408
>potbelly. always potbelly

just googled this place, it sounds perfect actually, food sounds good and it's not too pricey either.

>>8775409
ah yeah I don't, like I mentioned in my first post i'm actually travelling out to this con, though perhaps i will reach out to the mods or something closer to the con and ask them about the events/meets they're doing. i'll be sure to avoid the friday one.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-21-00-00-25.png (441 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-21-00-00-25.png
441 KB, 1440x2560
>>8775565
Aaaaaand it's gone.
>>
>>8775649
does antonio even know what lolita is? It's very odd for a crosplayer to organize a lolita event.
>>
>>8775682
He seems to think anime lolita is lolita. Which, you know, whatever. That Cameron dude clearly didn't know what lolita was but he should have been blocked immediately.
>>
>>8775699
Thankfully he was blocked on the surrounding communities as soon as things started.
If the people who stepped up didn't on the event page nothing would have been done.
>>
>>8775699
My favorite part was that he acted like a complete retard and then once his stupidity came flying back at him, tried to be like "wOw WhAt r U guYS TaLkInG aBoUt??? this is slander!! i was just JOKING!!", apparently surprised that saying stupid shit and acting like a creep would land him repercussions. he seems to talk a lot of shit on his profile but it was amusing to see him get all defensive and dweeby when people got real with him. glad the mods of the comms took it seriously though and tried to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.
>>
>>8775733
When your mom comments on you trololololololols you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 2015-01-23 22.29.14.jpg (823 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-23 22.29.14.jpg
823 KB, 1152x2048
Oh neat, finally this thread starting to pop up. The last few years I've went has been extremely up and down for me, but I have high expectations this year. Lots of fun, lots of cosplay to see, and of course lots of shitshows to witness.

With magfest being held the weekend after, I booked a room for both weekends. I wanted to get one that lasts from Katsu to mag but it was simply not possible. With that said I got space in my room for some folks. I'm known to snore and most likely will be active till the late AM, but it does give you the opportunity to hold out from the sunday check out rush.

>>8775408
Semi-cheap foods are Potbelly, Subway, Elevation Burger, and Macdonalds(drive only, pretty far walk barely outside the harbor.). There's also a CVS for snack foods. If you're able to wake up early and willing to spend 20 bucks, the breakfast buffet is great for all you can eat omelets. Just make sure you get only omelets and no juice/coffee.

Also, there is no liqour store in the harbor area. Your only source of booze will be from bumming mates or the bar. When bringing it in, don't be obnoxious about it. Last year when I was coming into the hotel, I saw people get turned away when they saw them packing absurd amounts of booze. So try your best to store it in a way the hotel staff doesn't give you a reason to check your shit.
>>
>>8775776
There's an upscale grocery store called Potomac Gourmet Market that sells beer and wine. But the closest hard liquor is a fifteen minute drive out to Oxon Hill proper.

>>8775354
http://www.nationalharbor.com/dine-directory/

A lot of people have already commented, but I'll put in a good word for Nando's (not the cheapest, but well-priced) and Potomac Market (pre-packaged stuff ala any upscale grocery store).
>>
>>8775746
His mom got involved too? Oh god I wish I had seen that part.
>>
>>8775649
LOL.

I implore you guys to stay far away from that dude. You will regret it if you don't.

Sincerely, One who Knows.
>>
>>8775649
isn't he one of EMCP's favorites? I would stay away from him because of that.
>>
Would somebody please book A/C photography already? His spamming is annoying.
>>
>>8776092
His whole page is memes.

I guess that speaks volumes about his photography.
>>
File: National-Harbor-Halloween_0046.jpg (431 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
National-Harbor-Halloween_0046.jpg
431 KB, 800x540
I want to get a group together to rent out the carousel. I don't even need or want it to move. I just want the carousel people to let me take pictures on it without having to break in when it's closed or fight children for the prettiest pony when it's open.
>>
>>8775992

Didn't he also vouch for the people in that terrible WinterCon photography panel?
>>
Eugene Manning/EMCP, Geeked, and Jason Laboy will be there for all your professional, expert, photo needs
>>
>>8776356

Look, as much as I love a good ol' EMCP ragging thread I'd actually like it if we don't turn this one into an EMCP or Laboy thread.

Anything but those two. We've ran out of fresh material for those guys.
>>
>>8776414
Can't help seeing their posts bragging about their expertise all over Facebook and Laboy charging while he's going as press and EMCP charging while working as staff
>>
>>8776456

Uh.... nevermind then.

Carry on.
>>
>>8776414
Is there nobody else to talk about? As much as I hate EMCP
>>
Will there be a /cgl meetup?
>>
>>8776581

That's what I'm saying lol. Even when EMCP wasn't going to a con it turned into an EMCP hate thread.
>>
>>8775408
If you have a lot of extra cash to spend on food, Grace's Mandarin's food is amazing. The atmosphere is also way cool. Rosa Mexicano is my second choice. I go there a lot cuz margaritas and also they have the best guacamole in the DC area.

>tfw rich and don't have to eat fast food every meal
>>
>>8776891

Meant to reply to >>8775354
>>
>>8775538
Did you not learn anything from the anons in the Magfest thread?
>>
>>8776891
Can rich people please stop coming on 4chan to brag about what they can afford? Seriously. No one cares.
>>
>>8776902
I don't care about magfest. not into games.
>>
>>8776697
We will probably figure that out later, closer to the date.

>>8776891
Grace's Mandarin is the reason why I have a shrimp curry addiction. Like I literally make it at least once a week because of that place. But yeah they're good.

>>8775538
Were those the tools who had the boat for Otakon. Man I miss Coast Gaurd-kin he was the real hero.
>>
>>8777093
did the coast guard thing ever happen? I totally forgot about it.
>>
>>8777093
>>8777099
Yeah, at least once. Not sure what year it was from, but someone posted a link to their Youtube music video wa while ago where they were surrounded by girls who looked like they were dying to finish the video so they could get paid. Also the girls weren't so great looking, like maybe the C-listers at a strip club on a Tuesday night.
>>
>>8777118
That is hysterical.

>>8777099
According to the guy in the coast guard it did. And the "party" was just a sad group of three guys playing CAH.
>>
>>8776581
Black Luigi? I wonder if that creep will be there or at Magfest.
>>
File: fuckboi.jpg (266 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
fuckboi.jpg
266 KB, 2048x1366
>>8775538
Lol, no you guys don't. *chuckles* Look at how cool these guys look guys, aren't they badass?
>>
>>8777118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nu_KyCcA1I
>>
>>8777402
How many of them have autism?
>>
>>8777118
>>8777418
Naw for Baltimore strippers those girls are like A-listers. But you can tell they want their paychecks so bad. But man that was amazing honestly they don't look like I thought they would and that makes it even better.
>>
>>8776891
I went to Grace's Mandarin with my mom and holy shit, I've never enjoyed a meal so much in my life. Everything about that place is amazing, even the bathrooms.

It's too bad I'd have to use up half a paycheck to go there by myself, so no Grace's Mandarin for me at Katsu. QQ
>>
Reign Avenue, or now Reign.faux, is a great photographer, you should book with him if you need photos!
>>
>>8777426
Pretty sure 100% of them have MUH DICK.
>>
I want to start my own Patreon, who's the photographers I should book with to become famous? I'm a guy by the way.
>>
>>8777789

>Who is the photographers
>become famous

Not with that grammar
>>
>>8777789

are you ripped, can you make armor, or both?
>>
>>8777789
Do you have big titties?
>>
>>8777870
The answer is no. Unless you're a chick nobody care
>>
>>8777399
I hear from someone who still associates with him that he's going to or trying to go to MAGfest.
>>
>>8776891
>>8777451

Are you all still in college or just live somewhere with a super low cost of living, I was expecting 70$ entrees from the way you were talking.
>>
>>8778013
I thought it's super high end from the description. Turned out its about as much as PF Chang
>>
>>8778013
I'm the second anon. In college, yes, with a shitty part time job at a thrift store. It takes a long time for me to save up for cons, and I can't afford to go out to eat places with $40 sushi entrees on top of paying for everything else.

Not sure about the other anon.
>>
Anyone know a photographer that shoot for free and actually shoot good quality pictures?
>>
>>8778550
Are you female? Try Yenra
>>
File: 200_s.gif (25 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
25 KB, 252x200
>>8778550
Why the fuck would you expect someone to give you "good quality" pictures without getting anything in return?

Then again, you probably think anything with you in it is "good quality".
>>
I see all these posts about katsu being a party con and im just so confused. I'm a Midwesterner, but I've been to Katsu before. I just remember it being super dead at night. Maybe i need make the right friends?
>>
>>8778827
Room parties, drinking parties, and you need to socialize more
>>
>>8778842
I've only been to two eastern cons before this and mostly stuck to my group because everything was so new. So this time since i at least have the general gist of things i plan on socializing a lot more.
>>
>>8775776
Why are you giving your waifu dinner? She looks stuffed already.
>>
>>8778550
Nice one
>>
>>8778827
Past 9pm, I could not find a single friend who wasn't piss drunk.
>>
>>8778827
Stick with Acen. Katsu is still dead room party-wise.
>>
File: image.png (142 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
142 KB, 750x1334
>>8778013
Are you implying this is cheap food? I can see how it'd be too expensive for the average anime convention attendee, who are usually college age or younger.
>>
>>8779027
in whoever originally brought this place up's defense, they did say "if you have some extra cash to throw at food"
>>
>>8779027
Nothing in national harbor is cheap. Bring your own food. Bring your own booze. Cereal and cans of chef save lives.
>>
>>8778013
>>8778031
Read the menu again. It says no split checks. So unless anon goes by herself, she'd have to pay for everyone's meal including her own. That would be pretty fucking expensive.
>>
>>8779049
If you have roommates, please reconsider canned or dehydrated food. Last thing anyone needs is the massive amounts of sodium-fueled shits in a hotel room bathroom.

Or at least bring some candles/air freshener!
>>
>>8779164
Lots of restaurants don't offer split checks. Most people can do math now on their smartphones
>>
>>8779171
That's great, anon. But only if everyone at the table has $60+ in cash to pay for their meal and tip.
>>
>>8779027

It's not 'cheap' but it's not break the bank the way anons were talking. But I live in a pretty expensive city so maybe I'm biased.
>>
>>8779227

Why would you go out to eat with someone who can't afford it? That's just asking to get taken advantage of. Unless you mean cash on hand which, hit the ATM before walking to the restaurant, there's one in the gaylord.
>>
>>8779325
What city do you live in? Even by DC standards, which is one of the most expensive areas in the country, it is expensive food. I've lived across Maryland and NOVA my whole life so I know.
>>
>>8779328
You mean you don't ever treat your friends to dinner? My friends and I always take turns paying the tab for food and alcohol.
>>
>>8779344

Boston. Which is on par with DC in a lot of ways (cheaper metro but higher rent). It's definitely not as cheap as like Applebees but it's not out of line for a friday night out.
>>
>>8779027
>>8779325
It's overpriced for a DC-area restaurant. DC proper has better cheaper restaurants (e.g., Founding Farmers) and much better restaurants at the same price point (e.g., Central Michel Richard).
>>
>>8779394
Boston has cheap food tho bro. Only expensive thing here is rent.
>>
>>8779394
>a Friday night out
You're comparing cons to a typical Friday night out lol? Add up the cost of the Gaylord Hotel, travel, con tickets, purchases, alcohol, lunch/breakfast food for 3 days, etc. then add a $60 meal every night. Money can be tight, especially seeing that a lot of us are still young and haven't fully advanced into our careers yet.
>>
>>8779463
>katsucon
>con tickets

lel. do you even katsu?
>>
>>8779500
Depends on whether or not you preregistered. I've made that mistake.
>>
>>8778948
underrated post
>>
>>8779606
>>8775776

I wonder what he does with that food his girlfriend doesn't eat...
>>
>>8775776
>Also, there is no liqour store in the harbor area. Your only source of booze will be from bumming mates or the bar. When bringing it in, don't be obnoxious about it. Last year when I was coming into the hotel, I saw people get turned away when they saw them packing absurd amounts of booze. So try your best to store it in a way the hotel staff doesn't give you a reason to check your shit.
As someone who's been to both, which was more fun in terms of people and costumed party times?

Katsu or Magfest?
I've been to neither, and am looking to go further than DragonCon to enjoy cons.
>>
Can anyone compare Katsucon party con status to Magfest?

I haven't been to either, and I'm debating which to go to.

If anyone wants a fun party con, I CAN recommend DragonCon and give many details.
<3
>>
>>8779347
You deserve it then if you treat your friends to eat at an expensive place. Sorry that you lack any planning or foresight on your part.
>>
File: kek.jpg (16 KB, 255x352) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
16 KB, 255x352
>>8779645
LOL you a poorfag or something? It's not unusual for someone to say "this one's on me" when the bill arrives. If you can afford to buy your friends a nice dinner so what?
>>
jfc at the FOOD GATE

if you cant figure out how to pay separately before hand, even without split check, you obviously need someone pay for you

because you're dumb as FUCK and obviously dont make enough money for a hamburger
>>
>>8779645

Not this >>8779703 anon but damn you sure sound poor as fuck.
>>
>>8779793
new anon to this conversation entirely but i'm poor as fuck and even i think that anon sounds poor as fuck
>>
So what are everyone's cosplans?
I'm hoping to make it to the con as Emiya Shirou (F/SN), Lancer waiter ver. (F/SN), and Kazuraba Kouta (Kamen Rider Gaim).
>>
>>8779643
It depends on how much of a Sped you are. MAGfest was really, really overhyped. Very fun with low crowds Friday, but incredible boring Saturday/too long to wait to do anything.

Katsucon, I haven't been to in a while, but am choosing this over MAG this year. Just, more to do, more cosplayers to keep up the energy,
>>
>>8779703
>>8779793
>>8779806

You guys have some severe reading comprehension. The guy's bitching about eating out with friends and not being able to cover them and you're coming at me? I'm just saying he needs to plan better if he's treating people out and thinks those are pricey. It's called knowing your finances or financial responsibility. If your friends are cheap asses, then don't eat with them. And if you know their cheap asses and you do eat with them and still bitch about them, then that's your fault for knowing the situation and then crying about it.

Sorry I can't coddle every fucking crybaby, but man the fuck up.
>>
Is katsucon really worth it? I'm not from the U.S. and considering going when I travel next year.
>>
>>8779897
You'll like the Gaylord. I haven't been to many other conventions to compare but I always have a good time at Katsu. It's also one of the more popular conventions on the East coast.
>>
>>8779888

Yeah sure thing, poorfag. Don't come at us for coddling.
>>
>>8779914
I would enjoy cons if we could just get rid of these poor cosplayers. The drop in population would be great. Come back when you have careers and can afford a hotel by yourself and pay for real food instead of Ruby Tuesdays or TGIF
>>
>>8779850

Glad I got a decent answer. The cost of being forever called an autist. ;)

I'll continue toiling over cosplay for Katsu, thanks Anon
>>
>>8779925
You sound like an Amerifat. This is why no one likes you.
>>
>>8779925
As someone with a salaried job and dental benefits...

I like TGIF, fuck you anon.
>>
>>8780213
Yeah ok anon. Clearly they are the Amerifat because they can afford the places that sell quality food instead of burgers with grilled cheese sandwiches for buns like TGIF. Which one sounds more American?
>>
>>8780256

Lol you are so incredibly mad for defending and justifying yourself at people who weren't taking you seriously to begin with.

What a champ.
>>
>>8780333
What are you even talking about?
>>
>>8779897
Finding a hotel near the con now is going to be tricky. The Gaylord it's self is out of rooms for that weekend, and it is in the national harbor which is an update dining and shopping area during Valentine's Day weekend. I wouldn't say traveling for Katsucon is worth it, however if you do decide to come stay a little longer and check out DC. It's a lovely city with lots of free museums, good food, something is always going on, and the city is pretty walkable with public transportation that can get you around to the different sites and museums fairly easily.
>>
>>8779049
If you have a car then drive down the street to Rivertown mall and hit up the IHOP and the chinese buffet.
>>
>>8780465
>giving up your parking space at a busy con
>>
Umm.. for the people complaining about restaurant prices..

Why don't you just go to a freaking trader joe's.. buy some microwavable meals and eat them at Katsucon?
>>
>>8780213
>>8780242

I'm not that anon but don't get baited so easily. Jesus christ
>>
>>8780510
Gaylord doesn't have microwaves.
>>
>>8780524
I like how only cheap hotels have amenities like microwaves. Makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>8780524
>flashback to last katsu when i made microwave mac and cheese with the coffee maker and didn't have a spoon and sat on the floor eating it with my fingers and crying because i was so hungry there was no other food and i was already running late to a photoshoot
>>
>>8780524
they have one in the atrium
>>
>>8780532
lol @ this. I can practically taste the despair.
>>
>>8780532
how long does it take for the boiling water to soften the mac and cheese?
>>
File: 1499282.jpg (45 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1499282.jpg
45 KB, 450x300
>>8780481
>implying that those three big ass parking garages run out of parking spots
>>
Komi's not bad, pretty good Middle Eastern-Greek food at just $150 a plate. If you want something cheaper and more familiar, 1789 is also good. They have a great risotto with truffles for only $65
>>
>>8780566
it's a miracle i didn't get any on my cosplay, honestly

>>8780571
i couldn't give you an exact estimate, when i make it that way i just check on it until it seems edible. but make sure you put way less water in than you would if you were microwaving it, which i forgot to do because i was in such a rush and it turned into a big disgusting soupy mess
>>
File: CSlTXXfUsAAQ69r.jpg (32 KB, 598x335) Image search: [Google]
CSlTXXfUsAAQ69r.jpg
32 KB, 598x335
>>8780648
>1789

Sure is Georgetown undergrads in here.
>>
>>8780648
>$150 a plate

what the hell
>>
>>8777093
Senpai has noticed you. Sadly national harbor is outside of my operations area. I do have some contacts to call at HQ near there, but I highly doubt 1449 will attempt another boat con in the dead of ass cold Washington winter.
>>
File: sluttycosplay.jpg (41 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
sluttycosplay.jpg
41 KB, 468x700
Enough of this. Who is cosplaying the sluttiest outfits at Katsu? Post em now.
>>
>>8780648
>just $150 a plate
I make good money around here and I still refuse to pay that much for a fucking plate of food.
>>
>>8781208
Jessica Nigri, Yaya Han, all of the Bitches of Cosplay, all of the Cosbaes, Byndo Gehk, The Kitsune Kid, Purblind, Shiro Cosplay, Laineycat Cosplay, Kassandra Cosplay and many more I'm sure
>>
>>8781259
You forgot Mostflogged, Yuffiebunny, and Stella Chuu
>>
>>8781259
>Bitches of Cosplay
Most apt name ever.

That feel when I will be shooting with half of them, and will probably bump into a few more
>>
>>8781300
mostly jenny.
Should a pool bet start now on who she'll be harassing this year? Will she spit on someone here?
Hope y'all got police on speed dial, it's going to be a great trainwreck.
>>
>>8779027
Do you have absolute no concept of all these factors?:

-valentines weekend
-washington DC
-convention
>>
>>8779166
No candles, will set off alarm. If you're that asshole, I will find you.
>>
>>8779021

I'll let you keep thinking that, will make my parties less crowded and have more chill.
>>
>>8780532
Anon are you me? I s2g the same exact thing happened to me last year at Katsu
>>
>>8781259
I think Kitsune kid said she's taking a break from cons for the next two years due to her needing to get her life sorted out. LMAO
>>
>>8781596
she been saying that for years.

still shows up at cons.
>>
>>8781691
For real? Lol, but the last con she went to was Colossalcon from what I remember.
>>
>>8777402
When will they learn...
>>
>>8781832
Lmao, they look like they were the losers In high-school who are trying to be the popular kids in the con community.
>>
>>8781975
Fortunately they're not going to Katsucon, they're going to "Swolefest" (what they call Magfest). LOL
>>
Are there any nearby hotels worth staying in, or is this one of those cons where the hotel makes the con?
>>
>>8782147
Hotel makes the con for sure, especially if you're fast enough to get atrium view rooms.

I got upgraded for free first time I was there because they didn't have any more Queen rooms. Changed my life. Sadly downgraded to normal rooms this year because I'm staying an extra day but still, hotel is great.
>>
>>8782147
it really doesn't matter anymore as all the hotels nearby are sold out
>>
File: tryhard2.jpg (220 KB, 2044x1152) Image search: [Google]
tryhard2.jpg
220 KB, 2044x1152
>>8781832
Never.
>>
>>8782216
>>8781832
>>8777402
>>8775538

Everything I've seen of these guys (including the videos on the boats) seem like they're just high off their own hype.

I don't get it.
>>
>>8782311
There's a decent amount of people who suck up to these guys. Between that and mommy and daddy helping them foot the bill for their alcohol and suites they've developed this idea that they're cool and well liked.

I honestly don't get it, how much of a loser do you have to be to suck up to these clowns? Even one of the admins in the Magfest group kisses up to these guys and gives them free rein to troll and harass cosplayers. Last year was the worst when he was the sole admin and did absolutely nothing about them.
>>
>>8782139
not according to John Chea. they will be there.
>>
>>8782376
So Chris Gary?
>>
>>8782393
Lol not even Chris Gary is that pathetic. It's Chris Coia, same first name but not same person.
>>
>>8782393
He still goes to this shit? Did colossal con get tired of pampering his tiny dick?
>>
>>8782139

The lesser, the better
>>
>>8778827
Hang out in the lobby past about 9 PM on Saturday. You will not find a single person who isn't trashed.
>>
>>8782464
>Friendly to you in your face
>Talks about you behind your back

This is a description of 97% of /cgl/
>>
all the vendetta posts are gone. good job, mod
>>
Ok so the page for the unofficial Lolita Luncheon is up. That is Saturday from 12-2:30.
>1702713066632660

And the swap meet is from 3-idk yet on Saturday too
>228587724139936

Both events have been planned so that even if you're not going to the con then you can still attend then. The official con events have yet to be announced.

For both format the url like you would for any fab event page and tack the number on the end sorry I got spam blocked.
>>
>>8782482
And everywhere else.

>>8783867
>fab event page

What is fab event page?
>>
>>8783867
Do you need a photographer? I know a really great one.

Hint: It's me.
>>
>>8783969
No, Vince
>>
>>8783880
I think they meant fb event page
>>
>>8784092
If the tripfag comes back to clarify, we'll see.
>>
>>8784214
I mean, if you do FB dot com slash events and then paste those numbers there both the exact events they're talking about pop up. I'm like definitely sure they meant "fb" and it just got autocorrected/typoed to fab. I've made the same mistake before.
>>
It's supposed to be fb. I am on my phone so auto correct. And do what >>8784220 # said because he/she is correct.
>>
>>8775162
avoid blue shell, lawrence brenner, and EMCP
>>
been to katsu 4 times and always ended up in some kind of room party. it's all about knowing the right people.
fri\sat night a lot of people are in the lobby\bar area so that's a good place to start

also, last year we ate at the hotel buffet for like 20$ and it was really good and we could eat as much as we wanted. there was also no line or waiting there so.. worth it. i recommend checking it out.
but be sure to bring food anyway. we always get energy bars and stuff cause there isn't really any where to buy stuff at that area
>>
>>8784498
The real ones to avoid is EMCP, John Chea, Dave Yang, A/C Photography, Jason Laboy, and Edward Fotography. They'll be there. Brenner hasn't showed his face lately anywhere and Blue Shell is now Just Cosplay Photography
>>
>>8784498
>>8784847

HQ, we have a visual on the fatties. Requesting permission to engage.
>>
>>8784847
you left out novii. always hitting on the under age
>>
>>8784847
No DJ Ranma S/Anime Jam Session? The guy is a sociopath.
>>
On average, how much would a good photog charge for a shoot?
>>
>>8785683
What do you consider good?
Example pls
>>
>>8785683
For Katsucon, I'm charging ~100 for an hour, and I'm pretty good. My rate'll go up once I get some more cosfamous in my portfolio.

Others will probably charge you more, and will be terrible.

I would tell you to look at any photographer's portfolio to see how good they are before you book them. If their work sucks, they're not worth any money, even if they're charging a dollar. You don't want terrible photos of you to end up in a "bad cosplay" / "bad photoshop" thread, do you?
>>
>>8785849

Are you new to the scene? I'm not a big fan of fear tactics.
>>
Stay away from the Gazebo. It's become something of a Holy Relic at Katsucon. It's got it's own Twitter account, for fuck's sake.

>>8782376
Their shit won't fly at MAGFest 2016. When you're dumb enough to put up public posts on your FB page with "unlisted" YouTube videos showing what went down in the 1449 room, and you also post the exact suite you got so the MAGFest staff knows exactly where you are... you kinda deserve the righteous thunder that will get called down on you. ;)
>>
>>8785937
Are you sure about that? I thought MAGfest welcome room parties? I was debating to pay their fee and check out the crazy party. These guys look decent enough
>>
>>8785955
MAGFest absolutely loves room parties, especially after since back in the day, a few cosplayers who were "ill received" at the 3rd year called it "Not a convention, but a giant party with video game bands". They adopted the comment as a badge of honor, and kept with it since.

Charging people to get into your hotel room party where you are pouring booze is illegal in the state of Maryland without a proper booze pour license. MAGFest will let you get away with a LOT, but not crap like that.

Katsucon and MAGFest couldn't be more polar opposites from each other. Neither is bad, you just go to each event for different reasons.
>>
>>8785125
Just don't shoot the girls he wants and you're good
>>
The Facebook group Katsucon 2016 photography is a good gauge to weed out shitty photographers. If you see someone advertising/spam there nonstop, they're no good. aviid these Famg fox, Sumiko, chezphoto, crunchy spart, Jeff gm, Maya gagne, Vaughn photo, Jay's fine art, reflectedexposure, a/c photography.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2048
Man the Gaylord is so pretty during the holidays. I wish they had some of these lights up during February for MAGFest and Katsucon.

(Was there last night and took these pics)
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 296x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 296x272
>>8785955
>These guys look decent enough
After all the evidence ITT and in the MAGFest thread, I'm pretty sure everyone here that isn't from 1449 would realize that they're scumbags.

Just go. You're not going to gather any wimminz here no matter how much you self post and defend yourselves. Fucking niggers.
>>
>>8785955
They're charging people to get into their room parties. That's illegal in Maryland since they're serving alcohol without a license.
>>
>>8785849
Been shooting for a while. While 100 an hour is reasonable it's extremely on the high end for most cosplayers and they will not shoot with you for that much unless you'res seriously legend-tier status when it comes to shooting cosplay. Just my few cents.
>>
>>8786103
>>8785999

i see. wasn't aware they're charging. thanks anons
>>
>>8785965
This. Katsucon and magfest are so different. I wouldn't go to a drinking party at katsucon, but may consider to go to one at magfest. Would definitely wear lolita to katsucon, but not magfest. Since I go to conventions for only the gameroom and lolita meets, Katsucon and magfest can not offer both, but satisfy each need separately.

I heard about boatakon and was suprised to know that an acquaintance was part of that group. He said he would have a party on a boat, but I didn't make the connection till after the fact. I have to admit that I am a little curious. The person I know seems like a nice guy
Maybe it is just a decent group of people who just like partying? Anyway, I don't know this person well enough or care enough to find out.
>>
>>8786682
Been getting ~100 since OTAKON this year. Haven't been shooting cons very long, either. I don't get that every con, true, but the large ones are easy to book that kind of work, because serious cosplayers want great photos.
>>
>>8786947
I think you mean rich, not serious. Not every one can afford to shell out the cash for a "serious" costume and then another $100 for a shoot. Good for you that you can charge so much. But don't knock someone else's hard work as not being "serious" because they can't afford you.

god I hate this mentality.

neither hobby is cheap. Get over yourselves.
>>
>>8786947
>>8786971
>>8786682
>>8785849
The funny part is that, the biggest photographers don't charge a dime to shoot but then again you can never really book them.
>>
>>8786971
This. Serious cosplayers know they can get free shoots from the best. No need to pay. 90% of the time it's the rich cosplayers that can afford to pay 100 dollars for a shoot; and most of the time their cosplay can't compare with most. Most of the serious cosplayers I know spend the 100 dollars on their costume instead.
>>
>>8780481
You could Uber.
>>
>>8786859
If they're decent people why do they constantly hype themselves up and shitpost on Facebook groups and on cgl? Why are they constantly stirring drama with people? Maybe they actually are great people to drink with, but the shit they do online is extremely off putting.
>>
>>8781499
You sound like an idiot.
>>
>>8787099
At first I thought you're talking about the legion of pro-tographers, then I realized you're talking about the 1499
>>
>>8786947
So many cosplayers paid around $200 to shoot with Lauren Pihl.

Those were suckers.
>>
>>8781300
SC really doesn't cosplay many scantily clad outfits though.. Not all big names wear shitty slut clothing. Bring it back a little, anon.
>>
>>8787646
The cosplayers who paid 200 to shoot with Lauren weren't really paying for great photos. They were paying for the cachet of being shot by a "cosfamous" photographer.

I'm not knocking it, but at the same time her shit wasn't all that great.
>>
Thanks, Booking.com.

>"Sorry, the last available space at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center on our site was booked 4 hours, 17 minutes ago!"

You aren't sorry at all. I'm finding whichever one of you fuckers took the last room and fighting you.
>>
>>8787753
FITE ME FGT
>>
>>8786971
Rich usually equates to serious. It's like that in every field. You aren't serious if you don't have the wherewithal to make your ideas real.

I'm not knocking a cosplayer that can't afford a 100 dollar shoot after spending money on a costume. But to be fair, photo shoots should be included in the cost of building a costume, if you really want people to see it. Cosplay is a collaborative art now.

>>8787023
Biggest? Free? Like who?

>>8787052
Like who? I certainly wouldn't want to spend a lot of time shooting, retouching and compositing work for nothing.

>>8787646
Agreed.
>>
>>8787779
like Martin Wong
>>
Is there a person more full of themselves than Mineralblu with the amount of spamming and self whoring?
>>
>>8787753
Just wait until week of the con for last minute reservation drops
>>
>>8787798
Stop with the self post

"Hellllloooo 4chan"
>>
>>8787798
You forgot name dropping
>>
>>8787798
Elysium, Gerardo Flores, Eugene Manning, Jason Laboy, Ron Gejon, Martin Wong are about tied to Mineralblu with how much self-promotion they do of their own content or who they work with
>>
>>8787871
yea, because cosplayers don't post about their own works, what else are they supposed to post?
>>
>>8785125
Mind elaborating on Novii? I had no idea he had some issues w/ underage girls?
>>
>>8787884
Post, don't spam. Common sense really. People don't mind seeing shit once in a while, but when you post nonstop
>>
>>8787871
How can you leave out UV? He's worse than all of the above
>>
>>8787906
I think the common rule should be no more than 3 times a day on Facebook
>>
>>8787788
Yea, I don't think he charges, at least my friend that shot with him told me she didn't pay him, he just ask her at the convention
>>
>>8787980
3 times? Fuck you. 1
>>
>>8787982

I don't know what you're thinking, but I was replying to this.

>>8787023
Biggest? Free? Like who?
>>
>>8787798
GooJunky probably.
>>
>>8787779
You're a fucking photographer. So am I, all the cosplayers I know would rather spend the money on their cosplay; if the cosplay is good enough they know it will get shoots. No need to pay when photographers want to shoot your cosplay because it's good.
>>
i don't know why people are sidestepping this. we all know only the fatties and newbs withcheaply made cosplay pay for photo shoots.
>>
>>8788120
It's true, you can roll the dice and hope a great photographer sees your cosplay at con, likes you / the idea / the construction / and there's time / suitable backdrop / and he has the right gear to do it justice.

Or you can book a photog ahead of time, and have him bring exactly what he needs, and budget the amount of time he needs to give you great shots.
>>
>>8788144
False.

Narly all the cosplayers I shoot are gorgeous, and they pay because they like my work, and think I'm worth it.
>>
Is there a link to the photoshoot scheduling spreadsheet?
>>
>>8788144

I have been paid by people who have been cosplaying for years. Some of which have been published in magazines, won contests and even judge them.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did get free shots or photoshoots from other people. Yet they keep coming back to me for whatever reason.
Go figure.
>>
>>8788144
You can't go about spouting "cosplay is an art," and not pay your photographers. Not only are they artist too, but your work wouldn't even get out there without them. Even though I'm friends with most the photographers i shoot with I still throw a little money their way, or buy them lunch or some shit. Cosplay is collaborative effort you little shit.
>>
>>8788427
I love you.
>>
>>8788427
i fucking hate cosplayers who offers me food. they are worse than freeloaders. is my time only worth a few bucks an hour?
>>
>>8788427
No one ever bought me lunch, shit!
>>
>>8788427
Food is worse than nothing; makes you worth a few bucks. What a laugh
>>
>>8788144
This. Literally the only people I am seeing getting photographers for Katsucon are people with shit cosplay (the same people who have fan pages even though they literally have one store bought costume). Now my friends who are attractive and cosplay who pay photographers are the ones who sell their prints for a living. But that makes sense.
>>
>>8788522
>>8788539

If a cosplayers asks me to shoot and they'll buy me lunch, then its an insult.

If we're shooting and no money is exchanged (free), and afterwards they treat me to a lunch/food, then I appreciate it, since it wasn't agreed upon ahead of time and seems spontaneous.
>>
>>8788160

Don't you additionally charge them for a dance, Eugene?
>>
>>8788629
Hi Chea! At least I don't (illegally) charge people to drink with me.
>>
>>8788158

This. I usually get a spontaneous free shoot or two at con but I'd still rather drop 60-100$ for the guarantee and ease of coordinating a time/place. I didn't spend hundreds on a costume to leave it to chance that I'll meet a photographer who's free at that time whose style matches the costume.

Plus photography is a valuable skill, there's no reason not to pay for it and I'd rather take care of that beforehand.
>>
>>8788522
Fuck off
>>
>>8789014
Someone is too poor to pay for shoots
>>
>>8788692

Be a man and talk to me on Facebook if you have a problem!
>>
>>8789183
>>8789159
>>8788692
>>8788629
Wow! visiting /cgl/ as a holiday trip was a big mistake!
>>
I always regret not putting the foresight and planning into a really impressive costume for Katsu, but real life comes before sparkly animu cosplay life. Maybe next year...
>>
>>8789008
I love you too, anon. Marry me.
>>
Debating coming over from the west coast, a bit of a trek though. Is it worth it?
>>
I came to watch the ball drop
>>
>>8790998
i have to block him on facebook because he's spamming his ugly mug all over my friends' statuses. what a loser.
>>
>>8790998
Oh god that's creepy. LMAO. I think the next Black Luigi meme should use this image lol.
>>
File: 1451626847188-1.jpg (65 KB, 254x322) Image search: [Google]
1451626847188-1.jpg
65 KB, 254x322
>>8791088
>>
>>8791238
Thanks anon for the nightmare fuel
>>
File: blackluigi8.jpg (316 KB, 500x888) Image search: [Google]
blackluigi8.jpg
316 KB, 500x888
>>8791128
>>
File: blackluigi9.jpg (66 KB, 254x322) Image search: [Google]
blackluigi9.jpg
66 KB, 254x322
>>8791264
>>
>>8791238
give minutes into netflix and chill and he gave you this look
>>
File: 2016-01-01 15.16.36.jpg (112 KB, 924x675) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-01 15.16.36.jpg
112 KB, 924x675
>>8791490
Adam H Wright the ultimate victim and nice guy.
>>
>>8791588
nice desktop, john chea
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.