[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one bothered by compliments along the "you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 580x575) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 580x575
Am I the only one bothered by compliments along the "you're the best X ever!", "you're the perfect X!", etc? Don't get me wrong, there's obviously different tiers as far as quality of cosplay goes, but stating that someone is the absolute best just rubs me the wrong way, and recieving it doesn't feel any better. Better to say "my favourite" or "my headcanon" in that case.

Anyhow, ITT;
Compliments that just doesn't sit right with you? Backhanded, ill thought through, or downright malicious compliments you've recieved on your cosplays.
>>
personally, i really like when people say stuff like that? it makes me happy especially if i'm not feeling super confident about my cosplay. i don't see how saying someone is "the best" is any different than saying someone is your headcanon, because it's still a matter of opinion and usually people are overexaggerating to make the point that they think you look really good? if that makes sense

anyways, compliments that always rub me the wrong way a little is when people say things like "i don't like the character you're cosplaying but" i don't care if you like the character or not?? that has nothing to do with my cosplay, unless you're trying to start a discussion about the series and/or character itself
>>
>>8769006
I feel the same, it makes any other cosplayer of X character feel like shit. It would be better if people said something like:

>You look just like X
>You make a really good X

Also OT, but in regards to the OP image, i love seeing other artists draw X character in their own style. My fav.
>>
>>8769021
This bugs me a lot too. Unless they tell me cause of the cosplay they wanna check the series out. Otherwise I'm like...Is that a backhanded insult?
>>
>>8769035
Yeah. We're a few people in my circle of friends who cosplay the same character, and because I'm a pathetic wanker I always feel like a failure when "you're the best X" gets thrown at someone else. There's just so many other ways of putting it, which don't disqualify everyone else.

I'm personally unlearning that a compliment doesn't have to be followed by a piece of constructive criticism; after art school it's really ingrained in me, but I recognize that most people probably already know/aren't interested, lol.

Also what >>8769021 said, which goes doubly for series. Alright, I'm glad you like my cosplay, saying you hate the series won't get us anywhere.
>>
>>8769006
>Better to say "my favourite" or "my headcanon"

It's the same as >"you're the best X ever!", "you're the perfect X!
>>
Same, I never know how to respond.

If I agree, I seem conceited.

If I disagree, I'm not having faith in myself
>>
>>8769685
> Thanks/Thank you
> I'm happy you like my cosplay!
2bh, some people just exaggerate a lot when they're excited. This isn't bad, it's the WORST. This isn't good, it's the BEST. I think it's always best to acknowledge their compliment without necessarily agreeing with them or enabling them.
>>
Humblebrag: the thread
>>
>>8769757
I don't know anyone who've cosplayed for at least two years and haven't gotten some variation of "best x omg!!!". Like >>8769691 said, people are prone to exaggregation.
>>
My least favorite "compliments" are over sharing or sexual types. Example, a guy once compliment my Sailor Senshi costume and followed up by saying she was the first character he'd ever masturbated to. But then I guess that kind of thing belongs mostly in a creep thread. Don't be gross, kids.
>>
>you're so amazing! i'll never be as good as you!!!
I see this one thrown around mostly in regards to art, but its also applicable to cosplay.

People calling cosplayers Senpai always rubs me the wrong way, too.
>>
>>8769685
just saying thank you doesn't seem conceited. even agreeing doesn't seem conceited as long as you're not snobbish about it, like usually when i get compliments my response is "thanks i made it myself!!" because i'm proud of my sewing/crafting and i like talking about it, i don't think there's anything wrong with that.

another easy way to accept compliments is to return the favor, even if you don't quite mean it. just saying "thanks, you look nice too" is a pretty surefire way to make someone feel good about themselves, especially if you're uncomfortable having the attention on you because it kind of turns it around onto the other person.
>>
>>8769021
>I don't like the character but

I'm guilty of this, I've said it a couple times to friends cosplaying characters I seriously dislike and never really thought it could be bad, now I feel guilty. I always mean it like a "I seriously dislike this character but your cosplay is so damn good I can't help but fangirl anyway" kind of thing. I'm really sorry, I never thought some people took it badly.
>>
>>8770171
Also:
>Ugh you're so great I will never be as good and should just give up.

Please don't guilt trip me into becoming a psychologist for someone I don't even know.

On a related note; shittiest ways to RESPOND to compliments?
>>
>>8770369
The shittiest way to respond is to not respond at all.
>>
>>8770369
>"I know."
>>
>>8770379
Unless you are cossplaying Han Solo
>>
I'm a lolita
>wow, I wish I could afford brand
>I wish my boyfriend/parents bought me stuff like that (when you bought it yourself)
>I could never fit in that
>that dress is ugly, but you make it look better
>it must be nice being able to afford something like that
>basically any comment that's more about the person's size/economic state/nervousness about seeing it in public/whatever than the outfit
>>
>>8769006
your insecure is showing
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.