[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Massachusetts Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2
What are you up to, Mass seagulls? Also, other than Anime Boston and AAC, what are your favorite cons that aren't too far from the home state? Been looking to branch out since those are the only 2 I attend annually.
>>
personally, i've always really loved ctcon
>>
i live in nh and the only anime/cartoon cons in the area i've been to are AAC, drawncon and qck (which is shit dont go). i'm thinking about going to AB next year though.

you could try out portcon or conneticon, which are fairly well known. portcon is pretty cool from what my friends tell me
>>
>>8744741

Ctcon is shit and literally the same price as some of the best cons in the country.

OP you could try ghosting Arisia, it's pretty alright if you don't pay for a badge and the parties are great
>>
I hit up AB, ctcon, RiCC, and so on of the known. Been to Drawncon Saw Dante Basco that year. AB might be skipped after '16. It's becoming way too Tumblrish
>>
>>8744741
ctcon is fun when you go and chill with friends, but it's so overpriced. it was fine when the badge didn't cost so much but now, with that price, the rest of the programming and shit doesn't match. I do admit they bring some pretty good guests in though. Loved seeing LittleKuriboh.
>>
I think ctcon went up also cause of who they started bringing in like Janet Varney who was really hot coming from recording Legend of Korra. And have Jennifer Hale right across from her.
Plus They sadly still take in the Nostalgia critic and he has a fricken appearance fee.
>>
I can't tell if it's because I've had less time the past couple years to keep up with all the new anime and therefore my brain interprets the non-recognizance as "nothing", but I feel as though recently I've seen less cosplay. Lots of stuff that is non-anime, and also rather plain stuff that's just thrifted and barely altered or closet cosplay.

I'm 20 and started attending in 2009 and it just seemed like 09-11 (maybe 12 but I don't remember 12 too well) I saw so many cosplays of things I really enjoyed and in 2014 and 2015 while I did see some cool cosplays. I definitely felt that I didn't see as many things that made me go "OH SHIT!"

Again, I'm not sure if it's because of a shift in the type and style of cosplay or if I just am not registering things cause I haven't had time to keep up with some of the new shit so I just don't recognize anything and therefore see it as all the same shit. Also dunno if maybe it's just cause I'm older now and not a young teenager and overexcited/overstimulated by everything I see.
>>
>>8744724
Are there any good cosplay groups around here, preferably ones who host meetups? I feel like every event I've been to has been run by awkward adults or 16 year olds who are obsessed with tumblr fame, and most people who attend are the same way. What's a gull got to do to make some quality cosplay friends?
>>
>>8744834
I too am interested in knowing because I specifically have never gone to any cosplay meet-ups because of this. Just reading the event pages is cringefest.

You may want to specify exactly where in New England you are located.
>>
>>8744834
>>8744854
thirded!! i've never been to any of the "new england" ones before because i've always heard bad shit about them, but i live in ct and i stopped going to meetups around here because 95% of the cosplayers i know who live here and especially the ones who went to meetups are super cringey 14 yr olds, or 18-20 yr olds who ACT like super cringey 14 yr olds. i miss having cosplay friends who live close by(ish) like i did in nyc.
>>
>>8744854
You talkin about the ever endless soap opera that is New England Cosplay group?

Best I can suggest is the chicks who helped organized the Salem meet up I know they'd planned on getting bigger and trying to make better organized events as the morons running the NECC group are morons.
>>
>>8744874
that and cosplay shenaniganers though I don't think the later does anything anymore
>>
>>8744854
Sorry, I'm in MA.

I feel like a lot of cosplayers lay low because the meetups are overrun by this sort of crowd. I'd love to make more friends but I don't know how you'd begin creating a "mature people only plz" meetup without selectively inviting. Even the 21+ers around here who run things (aka Alternicon) are cringe-tastic.
>>
>>8744885
It's a shame though isn't it? Boston is a grand place for cosplayers to meet up. And it's always a wank fest for the morons in charge.
>>
>>8744887
Pity you missed the Salem one then! Good food and an actual real summer meet with games.
>>
>>8744887
speaking of alternicon, what the hell happened? I'm fb friends with someone who is on staff and saw when it had been cancelled.

actually, if people like the girl I'm fb friends with are on staff, then I know exactly why alternicon got cancelled but I digress. from what I read they seemed to be claiming the hotel sprung a last-minute fee on them. is that true or did the con fudge up somewhere?
>>
>>8744904
I can elaborate if wanted? It's a shit show from start to end
>>
>>8744912
deets please!
>>
>>8744892
Exactly why I left the cosplay group I used to go to. The group leaders and their seven-eight close friends, would always talk about themselves, events for them, meet ups at cons and such. All, while ignore the rest of the group that shows up.

For the OP, if I can get the tickets, I go to the penny arcade, and sometimes the comic con is in the sea port.
>>
>>8744912
go for it anon, I have all evening and cgl loves a good shitshow

perhaps this may be in your explanation but can you also confirm/deny this - in the lolita comm there was a lolcow named Kai/Angelique who scammed people in the international lolita sales community. she's mostly in the cosplay community now but still gets brought up in lolita threads from time to time. I think I read it on here that apparently she was on alternicon staff but got kicked off or at least made to change positions because she was stealing registration money?
>>
>>8744925
Well the Rock Lee is likely to of embezzled money from the con. Whether he didn't pay the venue or it just pulled out we dunno.
However the Midtown Hotel was trashed the last time they held that shitty event so they pulled out of that stupid ball last year. Which is why it was at that shitty little venue with the too big stage.
This year Venue pulled and he was suppose to issue refunds but they have had issue with getting to him. So Dipshits with baby and freaky lesbian couple are the only NECC admins left. And may or may not be suing Rock Lee for his bullshit.
Meanwhile he's sitting on fb making thinly veiled threats. Whether to his ex or them we aren't sure.
And his dumb ass is still trying to promote that stupid ball.
>>
>>8744930
Bruh I know her. She came to the Salem meet then bitched at the girl with the corgi. Whose father was grilling that there was no turkey/veggie burgers.
That poor corgi girl is shy as fuck and was completely cornered despite the blonde maid girl being the leader of the two.
>>
>>8744936
damn sounds like mini-dashcon

semi-related but are there any decent small cons? I enjoy Anime Boston but I've been dying to go to something more cozy.

more questions: does anyone remember new england fan experience/anime kaiju/whatever? what happened to that shit cause I went it the one time they hosted it and then it seems like the organization that put it together dropped off the face of the earth
>>
>>8744947
Likely? NECC chased them out. The leader of the Salem meet had to change her meet date cause the baby momma admin sent her friends to harass her into changing it.

If anything they probably tried to organize things and were harassed by the NECC cronies until they left.
>>
Well There's the small con this coming weekend North East Comic Con. It's in Mass for Gulls there.
>>
>>8744970
>>Mass for Gulls
kek. Misread, but I want a lolita/cosplay mass now.
>>
>>8744983
Yea there's like no Mass. lolita groups is there?
>>
>>8744994

>>8744930
>in the lolita comm
>>
>>8744996
My mistake. I read it as a International lolita.
>>
>>8744936

Fucking Alternicon. We had friends come from out of town for that (why they wanted to I don't know) and felt so bad we took them down to that cosplay meetup instead, which was awkward as fuck as expected. NECC begging for money for the cosplay picnic, then not being able to explain what they need it for?

How these people managed to avoid fucking up enough to attempt a second show while the people running CAPE (which was a great event) are deep in the hole, I'll never know.

Please share if you're successful getting any refunds.

>>8744947

AAC is small, so's Portcon.
>>
>>8745229
did they even notify attendees of what was going on? seemed like they only put updates up on their facebook page that no one even looks at and just counted on everyone else "spreading the word".
>>
>>8745229
everyone keeps telling me to go to portcon - I guess I'll have to try my best to go to the next one! what's it like?
>>
>>8745236
yeah it was basically all facebook and word of mouth. they put updates on the website too but not until way after the info was up on facebook so it was sort of useless at that point.
>>
>>8745265
wow. I know they updated their FB a couple days before the con but I wonder how many people still showed up for nothing or were already on their way or getting ready when they decided to check social media and saw it was cancelled.
>>
>>8745281
>>8745265

The eventbrite event even sent out confirmations morning of, so I'm sure some people showed up by mistake
>>
fb . com/events/135357833469117/

they're still running cosplay ball tho
>>
>>8744769
I want to skip AB but too many friends go and it's too close to home (I am literally 10 minutes away from Boston driving), so there's not really an excuse for me to skip. Though I've been thinking about rounding up some friends and traveling for Katsucon since I've been told it's pretty cool. Would be awesome to find some more cons in my area though.
>>
>>8744947
AAC's one of my favorite cons, and it's small and cozy too, definitely check it out.
>>
>>8745577
katsucon is amazing, definitely worth the trip. i've never been to ab but i've always heard sort of meh things about it from friends who have. i don't think it's even comparable to katsu, honestly.
>>
>>8746185
They're very different cons.

AB is good programming, good guests, lots of cosplay panels. Not a lot of noteworthy cosplays and absolutely garbage for photoshoots unless you go to one of two or so good spots. You also have to buy a badge.

Katsucon is the opposite - amazing location and the biggest attraction is the quality cosplays. However the con is run really poorly and the last few years it's been hard to even pick up a badge without waiting in line for hours.
>>
>>8746191
yeah, that's true. they have very different draws. but i don't do panels or guest shir much at all so i'm mostly in it for the dealer's room/aa and seeing all the rad cosplays, plus the beautiful venue, which is why i love it so much.

and badge pickup is a pain in the ass yeah but i went at like 10 pm thursday night last year so the line wasn't too bad (and there was this girl going around giving out free buttons, she had some really cute ones so i was all about that)
>>
>>8746195
*shit
>>
Any other gulls going to PAX East?
>>
>>8748025
yep. First time too so I'm kinda excited.
>>
>>8744724
massholes
>>
john chea and the 1949 ers
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 900x649) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 900x649
if any gulls are actually going to NECC and are near by the image anime vendor stand (the one with a lot of gunpla) could you please pass on a message to the stand keeper "the mazinger Z kid from RICC said hi and regrets he could not come in person and he will see him next time."
>>
>>8748025
I've never been. Is it as great as people say it is?
>>
>>8748825
please don't bring up that lot, you'll summon pat's stupid ass to shit the thread up.
>>
>>8750418

Only if you like standing in lines to play demos. It's a trade show, not a con.
>>
>>8744970
Just went to northeast comic con for the first time its in wilington at the shriner center
I liked it its small but cozy not crowded and plenty of cosplayers to take pics and talk with.
Felt like one of AB's dealers rooms with a small funtion room for stage preformances
It was fun and not too expensive
>>
>>8751737
Plenty to do outside of the expo hall, and even in the expo hall if you don't just go straight for the AAA lines.
>>
>>8748025
Haven't decided yet. I've been in the past, but only a couple of my friends are going this year, so I might save my money and skip this year. I really enjoy PAX because I cosplay mainly from games, but I know I won't get my current project done in time :|
>>
>>8751881

Yeah but the expo hall is the main attraction and focus of the con. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a way different experience from say AB and anon should know that to make an informed decision.
>>
>>8752032
Also PAX East is sold out, so that sort of makes the decision for them, yes?
>>
>>8752086
A lot of people swoop up tickets before they sell out without set plans, or grab extras in case their friends make it, although it sells out fast it's pretty easy to find tickets at face value. Pretty much every year I end up buying some second hand East/Prime tickets at face value for friends who missed the initial sale.

>>8752032
Not really, I never wait in any AAA demo lines and still have a blast. It's a big enough con such that even the 'niche' areas still have a big turn out. The expo hall is hard to stretch three full days, but if, again, you aren't interested in exclusively AAA titles, you can hit it at non peak hours and meet/chat with a lot of the indie devs without waiting in huge lines. It is different from AB, but that hardly means that the only thing to do is play demos for games you'll buy when they're released anyhow. Try reading the program or socializing a bit if you can't find something else to do.
>>
Neat, MA thread.

A few dudes and myself are doing a male Madoka Magica group. Typically I'm against genderbend but it seems like it'll come together well for AB.
>>
>>8757105
that sounds rad, do you have any art or anything of what you're basing the costume designs off of?
>>
>>8757105
>>8757128
I would love to see as well!
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.