[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of cons have formal dances as one of their events. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 55_0.jpg (168 KB, 840x405) Image search: [Google]
55_0.jpg
168 KB, 840x405
A lot of cons have formal dances as one of their events. What are your guys' opinion on them. Like them? Hate them? Go to them?
>>
>>8713405
I love them and wish even one of my local cons would have one. But no, everyone is too low budget and can only spend dolla-dolla on their animu cosplay and buying crap snacks. Meh!
>>
>>8713405
I make an effort to go to one if whatever con has one. Usually take a few shots before going and force myself to dance with strangers. I've even gone on dates with girls I've met there.
Plus, it's nice to actually see variety since people are in cosplay instead of just the typical dress or suit
>>
>>8713409
The ones I've been to have been either free or maybe $5.
>>
>>8713422
The people don't want to shell out $$ for formal wear, it's not the admission price.
>>
I go to them whenever I can, I typically don't cosplay for them.

I like getting the extra use out of my good dresses and whatnot
>>
>>8713445
Happening to have a formalish cosplay is pretty rare. I usually just dress myself up with accessories like maybe just a mask from whatever series, or "insert character into a suit"
>>
>>8713430
I'm surprised. I'd imagine people (who could afford to go to cons in the first place) would have needed some kind of formal wear at least once in their life.
>>
>>8713405
Every once in a while. The guys there are slightly less creepy than the ones you meet in Speed Dating.
>>
>>8713405
I don't see the point, it's usually a cringey clusterfuck, and isn't even tangentially related to convention stuff. It usually just ends up being a load of weebs in their ballgown ciel cosplays (even in 2015).
It's just a sweaty spaghetti fest of people who have no idea how formals work.
>>
Anyone going to that cosplay prom thing in San Jose?
>>
Like it in theory but

>people who can't dress
>people who can't dance (formally)

majority of the attendees will be one or both
>>
>>8713451
That's what I thought and said too, at the planning meeting.
So many side-eyes...
I just left.
I found out later that the main money made at cons in my area is actually from people selling snacks and the nearby food trucks and cheap fast food places and cafes.
People rarely dress up here and the ones who do don't usually go to conventions.
I am very disappoint.
>>
>>8713405
Most "formals" aren't formal.

More often than not, they're just toned-down raves with less crazy costumes and less sweaty people.

That said, I've been to one that was actually formal and it was really, really fun. A shame I stepped on so many toes that night (I'm so sorry. So, so, so sorry), but it was hella fun. Shame most formals just aren't up to snuff. I usually still go check them out, though, just in case.
>>
Ya know, they do multiple ones here in Florida and they are well...cringe. However I went to a Vocaloid one a long ass time ago and it was lots of fun.

Now they started doing RWBY Beacon Balls and they'reainly fucking cringetastic and dripping Tumblr stupidity.
>>
I actually was forced to take ballroom dance as a teenager, and then decided to try it again in college and got pretty ok at it. One of my favorite nights was when I wound up with a good partner at a dance at Fanime and we killed the swing numbers.

But I remember at that same dance a guy actually hurting a girl while dancing with her because he was trying to do big fancy moves and didnt have the skills too.
>>
>>8714570
>>8713451
I got my dress at Good Will, 4 sizes bigger than I was, but I got a tailor to take it in properly and it fits me perfectly. $15. Made of thick wedding satin with a beautiful white slit opening in the back that you can see when you turn in the dress. Kind of like a peek-a-boo thing. My mom has a dress just like it, but with a black and white stripe pattern in the back instead of all white. Her dress at the time cost over $300.

People at cons need to learn how to shop is all I can say. [Sorry for super shitty image, wish I took a photo of the back of the dress where the slit is.]
>>
>>8713405
Only one I really know is the Katsu one and that's a bit of a clusterfuck. First two cosplays were luckily already formal (Loke from FT and Battler from Umineko) so I fitted on fine.

If the plebs who definitely didn't belong were kept out and people were less socially inept, formals could be fun.
>>
Used to be one here in Australia. But it was shit. Filled with plebs and weebs who likes to dance to songs like pokemon and gangnam style
>>
I went to one at a con I went to over the summer. It was fairly meh. I'm not going to bother next year.
>>
>be me and bf
>zenkaikon '14
>formal dance was our big event that we looked forward to
>website promised formal wear and class
>room's filled, we won't be let in
>through the doors we see it's a bunch of weebs dancing to hip hop
>there's a goddamn miku hatsune in her regular outfit
>bf and I leave massively disappointed
>>
>>8713467
I am! Should be fun. They seem pretty tight on the whole formal thing, which is nice since some "formal" dance cons don't have that.
>>
>>8714571
Depends. At some of the bigger cons, they typically have the formal and club style dances as different events.
>>
>>8715084
Don't think you posted a picture anon.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.