[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how is there so many "well known" cosplay photographers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
how is there so many "well known" cosplay photographers but most of them are complete shit?

no strobes
no diffusers
one (kit) EF lens
>>
Because most well-known photogs get that way through networking and persistence and not through photo quality. This is true of the photo industry as a whole too, 90% of being a pro has nothing to do with actually taking pictures.

Also, there's such a thing as overkill when it comes to lighting at cons. I used to schlep remotes and softboxes around and eventually backed off to a single on-camera speedlight with a lightsphere or whatever it's called, and 90% of the time it was as much as I needed to make successful photos.
>>
A lot of the East Coast cosplay photographers are fucked without all their strobes and shit. Try talking to some of them in person and you'd be amazed at how many of them think white balance and blown highlights are nothing important.
>>
>>8687091
you dont need strobes or fancy lighting to take good cosplay photos. check out Beethy sometimes
>>
>>8687091
THIS IS NO BULLSHIT THE 4TH WHINY "I HATE PHOTOGRAPHERS" THREAD I'VE SEEN ON THIS SITE THIS WEEK.

KILL YOURSELVES.
>>
Because no one wants to lug all that shit to a con
>>
>>8687324
>Beethy sometimes
>not at cons
infinite time and prep and theyre pretty shit
>muh natural light

>>8687410
cosplayers can carry up to 20lbs of props but photographers cant carry a strobe and a stand?
>>
>>8687091
You don't NEED a strobe and diffuser if you know about light.

When I go to conventions, I generally only take my camera, a backup body, my lenses, and a reflector. Shooting outdoors, you don't need more than a speedlight (really, the pop up flash is sufficient).

Plus, if I am just shooting random cosplayers at a convention or whatever, a strobe and diffuser isn't going to make their cosplays look any better.
>>
>>8687440
I don't know about other major cons but Katsu doesn't officially allow tripods, light stands or anything that requires being set up on the ground.
>>
Photographer here. Carrying three strobes, a few lenses, and a few stands is not an issue. What is an issue is restrictions, such as Katsucon where you can not set up a stand.

There are also venue/location restrictions and some places let you take pictures but not flash photography. It's not as crazy on the west coast as it is on the the east coast but there are factors that may just make it slightly harder for a photographer to utilize their equipment without having to pay (a fine or other wise).

An external flash can make a site think you're doing commercial photography. Just to give you an idea on how some locations can be limiting to a photographer's creativity. Some sites may allow flash but require everything to be handheld. Some might have a limit on how many external equipment is allowed.

It's not extremely complicated as I'm trying to put it, but it does sometimes ruin the potential of some shoots and it's not fun.
>>
>>8687091
so who are these people, the Cosplay Photographers? I see Martin Wong, MLZ, Acksonl, and the infamouse Richard Bui
>>
>>8687091
>Only one female photographer
>was a really good cosplayer, now she is a photographer

Why don't more of you guys step up?
>>
>>8687859
Presumably because women are smart enough to know that photography is a really shitty career move.
All men think about when they get into photography is how much T&A they'll get to shoot.
>>
>>8687878
tell that to Anna Fischer, Lauen Pihl, Sarah Sugarman, Soulfire, Darhselle, Bunny Tan. All very good photographers.
>>
>>8687091
USE THE OTHER THREADS
>>
>>8688030
Who cares if they're good?
I said "really shitty career move".
How SUCCESSFUL are they?
Even if they can pay their bills, how many photographers are out there struggling to get by in comparison?
Photography is an art. Do you recommend that people become artists? There's a reason why the "starving artist" stereotype exists.
>>
>>8687380
I'm pretty sure it's all the same shitposter taking off their namefag
>>
>>8688044
what other threads?
>>
>>8687440
some people like carrying them. some don't. i'm kind of in the middle. for my particular style i like using external lights.

>>8687837
dunno, but it is from 2012 so it could be a bunch of unknowns who stayed unknown. it's cosplay photographers in general and not really The ones.
>>
>>8688030
Either you are trolling or you are one of the listed
>>
I laugh at all the photographers chasing after that costume! Good luck in the real world!
>>
>>8688030
Hi lauren you bitch
>>
>>8688378

What costume?
>>
>>8688054
You do realize most of the male cosplay photographers don't have photography as their day jobs, right?
>>
>>8689393
the only person in the photo without a camera
>>
>>8689578

oh man I didn't realize I thought it was just a photographer group photo and assumed everyone had a camera. Especially since that one girl on the far right is in a costume (albeit very loosely defined costume).
>>
>>8688378
I'm guessing costume was a typo, maybe cosfame?
>>
>>8689393
>>8689591
Sorry!!!! Yeah I meant costume! Stupid autocorrect!

I see so many photographers trying to be famous in the cosplay scene and they're dropping so much cash on fancy equipment and hitting all the cons and its funny because none of that shit will matter in the end. They ain't gonna be famous for real or make fucking money. So many of the new photographers are kids living at home or deadbeat dads who think they'll make money at charging $20-40 a shoot! gimme a fucking break!
>>
>>8689952

You could easily replace the word "photographers" here with "cosplayers" and the entire paragraph still applies.

People in this hobby (especially the younger crowd) are blinded by the "fame" of Jnigs and Yaya and think that they want to be a "professional cosplayer" when they grow up.

The stigma of anyone being "famous" within our convention community is hilarious. We're all losers dressing up in costume or taking photos of losers dressing up in costume. ANYONE thinking they can make a living off this hobby alone is a moron.
>>
>>8689966
Not the case. It may be hard now, but I do think there is money in cosplay down the line.

Every character people cosplay comes from a multi-billion dollar media corporation.

If you can't see where the money is you're extremely short sighted.
>>
>>8689971
I think you misunderstood me.

I'm talking about the kidos who think that dressing up in cosplay and/or taking a few neat photos at cons is all that it takes to make it to the big time.
>>
You're right, it's a lot of hard work.

But the blanket statement, "ANYONE thinking they can make a living off this hobby alone is a moron." is wrong too.
>>
>>8689971
Don't quit your day job
>>
>>8689952
Again with the stupid autocorrect! "COSFAME"

>>8689971
The money is eventually there, but most cosplayers won't know how to get it. At best, they may make a few commissions over the course of a year, but they'll still be realistically undercharging on their own labor alone. The same with photographers and their post processing, at least the ones that do it for real and aren't sliding a few bars right and left for a few seconds.
>>
>>8687091
I always shoot flashless and handheld. It's easier to carry around, I can move quickly, I'm good at holding still, and I can always lighten it up in post-production.

I don't trust photographer with too much gear for no reason - they're often compensating for a lack of skill or talent. The better they get, the more gear they shed.
>>
>>8687091
people I recognize: Al (EBK) front and center. I know no one else. Anyone care to label this or point out other people?
>>
>>8690018
The reason we just slide a few bars around and use the healing bush on some pimples and that's it is because real post-processing takes a good amount of time. It's reserved for paying customers.
>>
>>8690066
Richard Bui is the guy on the right.
>>
>>8690100
I wasn't talking about you then. I was talking about those that do a few seconds of work and then act like they've spent years on perfecting a photo that they are charging for at cons like some of the ones mentioned in the bad photos thread >>8668433
>>
>>8690268
>>8690018

I mean... it's not even sliding bars anymore. Any photog with lightroom and some real understanding of their software will just use presets. So really we're talking a few clicks of a button.
>>
File: photogs.jpg (293 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
photogs.jpg
293 KB, 1024x683
>>8690066
To the best of my ability and memory
>>
>>8690813
one of the cool dudes is MLZ
>>
>>8690813
Whoa, someone else knows Dale other than me?

He is a cool guy, more of the old school photographer, but still a nice guy.

(In before a million people post about how much they hate him)
>>
>>8689952
Sounds like Jason Laboy (unemployed, but charges for photos even though he manages to get a press badge) and Cosplay with Me (hipster who begs to sleep in everyone's room)
>>
>>8692203
He got a press badge through that rag of a mag
>>
>>8692203
If he does press work with the badge and shoots on the side that's okay. If he just shoots then that's not okay and he shouldn't get a badge
>>
>>8690813
lol "cool dude"

double lol for the not meepy
>>
>>8692272
Hu just does cosplay shoots and then submits them, hoping they get accepted
>>
>>8692806
Nope he represents the mag with a press badge and still charges for shoots with promises of hopefully being in the mag. He should be covering the con and shooting for free since he's press.
>>
>>8687837
I also see Al/Eurobeat King (white shirt, front and center), Kris Ling/BlizzardTerrak (sunglasses next to the maid), Darkain (holding strap over his eye), and Rollerson (all black with a hat and glasses, next to the big softbox.)

A lot of these guys aren't actually part of the "Cosplay Photographers" group.

Also, lol, Bui's pose behind that Gunbuster cosplayer takes on a whole new meaning knowing what we do now.
>>
>>8687091
>no strobes
Who the fuck is going to carry around a strobe? Do you mean external flash? Some have them. Maybe some are just using daylight.

>no diffusers
You're not going to get a diffuser worth a shit if it's small enough to use with an external flash, and nobody is going to carry around a large one. Besides, you can bounce an external flash off a wall or ceiling.

>one (kit) EF lens
And you know those are kit lenses how? Most 35-50mm lenses are going to look smallish and resemble a kit lens. And who the fuck wants to carry around a ton of lenses? Either use a good zoom, or stick with one lens like a 50mm (maybe two - a 16mm or so for wide-angle shots). Most of us have probably tried a con or two when first starting where we carried a lot of lenses. You learn quickly that shit ain't worth it.
>>
>>8693554

>Also, lol, Bui's pose behind that Gunbuster cosplayer takes on a whole new meaning knowing what we do now.

Eh, not really for me. He's just being one of those "Look at me, I'm a photographer and I use a camera phone lol I'm so clever" people.
>>
>>8693686
There was someone at a con a couple weeks ago taking photos for something with a camera phone. I didn't hear who he was taking photos for and neither did the cosplayer he took a picture of near me. still fairly shitty!
>>
>>8692817
Right, I'm just saying he's doing cosplay shoots. He's not actually attending any press events. I think very few cosplay photographers actually do those press events at NYC's comic con, but yeah I agree that if he's wearing a press badge from them while at the con, he probably shouldn't charge, but if you don't like it then you should write to the magazine if you find it wrong
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 640x471) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 640x471
I like how Assb keeps running her mouth about race everyday and scaring all her friends away with her BLF henchmen
>>
>>8698164
This bitch thinks she's a real photographer. I'm still laughing at her shit post about how models don't need to send nude photos to photographers to be hired if a photographer asks for reference photos for nude shoots.
>>
>>8698212
Say that again, she's against models sending nudes to photographers who will themselves be shooting that model nude?
>>
>>8698164

Anon do you wanna try making that post one more time?
>>
>>8698343

Ugh, that was meant to go to >>8698212
>>
so angry no wonder the community is scared to talk to her
>>
>>8687878
No, there are lots of talented female photographers, they just don't talk massive amounts of shit like all these man-children, so they're not as popular.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.