[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifestyle Lolita
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: keijuphotoshoot205.jpg (214 KB, 699x465) Image search: [Google]
keijuphotoshoot205.jpg
214 KB, 699x465
Can we have another lifestyle thread? I was enjoying the previous ones.

To start things off:
>What does being a lifestyler mean to you personally?
>In what ways do you "live" the lifestyle or incorporate it into your life?
>Do you have any lifestyle goals? (Such as being able to wear it 24/7?)
>>
Some random lifestyle thoughts: I know there's this stereotype of lifestylers being fakely sweet/cute, but I always strive to be very conscientious, polite, and kind in a genuine way... I sort of feel like that's one reason lifestyle attracts me, to strive to be polite and sweet (but not fakely so, not like a "kawaii" persona or something. Just, being polite.) I really wish my comm had lifestylers so we could get together for things like tea and embroidery hang-outs, instead of just going to boring restaurants all the time...
>>
>>8679732
I think there's a difference between being all "kawaii uguuu~~" baby talk which is fake as shit and being genuinely polite and courteous. No one is going to shit on you for being genuinely polite and applying old-fashioned ethics and etiquette to your life. If they do, then they have a problem, because if no one is going to criticize them for being lumbering and noisy then they have no right to criticize you for being polite and proper.
>>
File: lark_2191581b.jpg (94 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
lark_2191581b.jpg
94 KB, 620x387
Has anyone else watched Lark Rise to Candleford? It's such a cute underrated show, I feel like. All the outfits give me such inspiration and lifestyle feels
>>
>>8679846
No, but it looks lovely. Would you be OK with compiling a list of period dramas? I'm afraid I'm at work right now, but I'd love to watch them when I'm off.
>>
>>8679862
I'm no expert on the field, as far as TV dramas go I only watch/know this one and Downton Abbey. I can try and compile a list of period piece movies that I love, though, since I've seen many more of those...
>>
>>8679862
>>8679872
Okay, I'm actually planning on writing up regular "media inspiration" posts on my lifestyler blog (working on Pride and Prejudice one now). The list I've come up with so far for future posts:
>Pride & Prejudice (book and 2005 film)
>Emma (book and 1996 film)
>Sense & Sensibility (book and 1995 film)
>Marie Antoinette (2006 film)
>The Young Victoria (2009)
>The Duchess (2008)
>The Secret Garden (book and 1993 film)
>A Little Princess (book and 1995 film)
>The Sound of Music (1965 film)
>Penelope (2006 film)
>Lark Rise to Candleford (TV series)
>1900 House (PBS TV series)
>>
>>8679926
derp meant to >>8679874, not the other one
>>
>>8679926
>pride and prejudice
>film
>not the 1995 BBC tv series instead
pleb
>>
Why does lolita lifestyle always come back to period movies? Seems like a very western interpretation.
>>
When I think of a lifestyle lolita, I think of someone who went to an all girls school and college. Are there any lolitas who went to an all girls school?

Cause you know fuck the patriarchy. Don't no dick inside me when I'm alive.
>>
>>8679926
I'm going to add Interview With a Vampire to this. It might just be me but it makes me want to dress hella goth and fancy.
>>
>>8679926
Hope you don't mind me adding to the list
>Wives and Daughters
>North and South
>Anne of Green Gables
>Upstairs Downstairs
>Cranford
>The Paradise
>Selfridge's

And if you aren't bothered by medical stuff
>London Hospital
>Bramwell
>>
>>8680007
>>8680010
Yes yes thank you for adding, these are all great!
>>8679986
I admit, I have only seen the BBC series once in my childhood, and I'm in love with the 2005 film version... I know, I'm a terrible person, etc.
>>
>>8679998
Considering the historical periods lolita takes inspiration from, that's pretty nonsensical
>>
>>8680010
Ooo thanks for the medical recommendations
>>
>>8679995
Probably because a lot of aspects of lifestyle call back to a time where the fashion originally drew inspiration? That is, Rococo and Victorian-era of the Western world? I mean, it seems obvious to me, I'm not really sure what "western interpretation" is supposed to mean. The fashion may stem from Asia, but the styles and aesthetics are rooted in western clothing, so...
>>
Has anyone here watched the anime Gosick? I've heard it's about a gothic lolita so I've been meaning to watch it. Need me some gothic lolita lifestyle.
>>
>>8680022
As much as you're right, then it would make much more sense to make a list of 18~19th century books and other reading material from that time, than a bunch of 20th century movies. Even if said movies attempt to be a historically accurate reconstruction of that time, you naturally can't get closer to the actual periods other than reading what the people of that time actually had to say.
>>
>>8679926
Link to your blog? Or is it not ready yet?
>>
>>8680028
Antique cookbooks and etiquette books! That sounds lovely. Where do you find your cookbooks anon?
>>
>>8680029
There was a collaboration with Gosick and a lolita brand.
>>
>>8680007
Same.

>>8680019
Yet considering the origins of kawaii culture in Japan, and the origin of lolita in particular, it does make sense.

>>8680028
>I can't paint the walls and I am suffering

I know this feel all too well. My current apartment is fucking hideous and it's so depressing. The paint is shit, too, so even removable wallpaper/decals are a no go for me.
>>
>>8680032
Well, for me it's about inspiration, not historical accuracy. (I'm not trying to be a re-enactor) Those films/costuming give me inspiration for the particular style of lifestyle lolita that appeals to me. I plan on including the books the movies are based from (which is why I put "book and film" in parentheses) that I have read and enjoy, though, because those also give me inspiration... for blogs, though, I feel visuals help a lot to keep things interesting...
>>8680033
Eh, I'm kinda nervous about linking now, I'm not really looking for anon criticism. Maybe when I finish the inspo update I will...
>>
>>8679732
>>8680042
Maybe talk to other members and see if they'd be into doing embroidery/other crafting meet? I'm sure you can't be alone in this. I know if someone in my comm wanted to do something like that I'd be all over it.
>>
>>8680046
Indeed, but what I mean is that for lolitas who truly want to understand how society and its people were back then, a list of important literary works would be of benefit. Well, summarized history articles would also work. Keep working on it, though! It sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>8680041
>Yet considering the origins of kawaii culture in Japan, and the origin of lolita in particular, it does make sense.

You'd probably get more people making the connection in the otome thread.
>>
>>8680071
Sure, that's a great idea, maybe you could make a list like that? I'm not as familiar with important literary works that are good examples of the society of the time...
>>
>>8679732
>mfw love old school sweet BTSSB and earlyish AP
>pink everything
>but 5'8" and have the personality of an alcoholic stepdad
>"anon, it's so funny that you look so cute but then you start talking"
>laugh it off then go home and cry
Acting sweet and polite would honestly be such an act to keep up. I like to think I can be like Momoko, but she was actually said harsh words in a cute way, and I'm basically just abrasive and loud and its not very loli.
>back OT
I would love more cutesy meets. A lot of the girls in my comm only wear lolita for meets, and they're always very critical and OTT about their coords. It's nice to dress up super fancy sometimes, but it seems like to a lot of them, it's more about buying and owning than actually wearing the clothes. No hate, everyone enjoys fashion in their own way, but I can't really relate to watching every new AP release and selling half my wardrobe for 1 dress.
I just want to meet lifestylers so we can hang out together casually in our cute clothes and talk about Jane Austen and share crafting tips.
>>
>>8680545
Oh god, sorry about the blog post. I didn't think it would be that lengthy of a rant. Saging.
>>
>>8680545
You are so much like me I think if someone in my comm saw it they would assume I was posting. Height too.
>>
>>8679986
does anyone know where to watch the bbc show version? everywhere you have to pay or they only let you watch the first episode and THEN you have to pay. i really wanted to watch it.
>>8679926
this is more Regency than Rococo/Victorian but I liked the Napoleon mini series. It had some nice costumes for Josephine.
>>
I want to be a lifestyle lolita but I'm a lazy blob who just likes to sit around in my PJs when I'm not out or at work. So I'm going to make some cutesy lounge wear so I can stop feeling like I'm leading a double life.
>>
>>8679998
All girl schools are hell and everyone is a literal hardcore feminist and pretty much get desperate by the 3rd year and go out as lesbien/bi girl if they don't have male interactions. Its so unlolita too because a lot of girls don't keep up with their looks no more and don't shower or stuff. It gets hella gross.
>>
>>8679998
I went to one and it wasn't disgusting like >>8680635 describes (though by the final year it turned out that all the girls who had bullied the few openly gay girls all came out as gay themselves) there wasn't much 'hardcore' feminism considering I've never seen that outside of tumblr, but most did consider themselves feminists, myself included.
Having said that, it was not the sort of place where a lifestyle lolita would want to be. People did keep up with their looks, they did shower, but it just wasn't a quaint environment. I'd say it was like any other school. To generalise and say 'all girls schools are hell' is somewhat redundant, but I wouldn't describe them as a haven for lolitas.
>>
/r/ing cute tea sets, i can never find them. theyre all 'modern' or just flat out ugly. i swear i saw a site before that sold i believe bone china and the sets had flowers and perhaps even cherubs on them? ive tried googling before but find shit all. perhaps it was a japanese site? any recommendations for online stores?
>>
>>8680041
Iktf but in my case it's not the apartment limitations but my fiancé. We are polar opposites taste-wise. I like practically every colour as long as it's muted; his favourite colour is neon green. The only colours we've been able to agree on so far are offwhite and beige. Send help.
>>
I'm hoping to shift to wearing Lolita everyday in the summer. I'm a teacher (and I live pretty far out of district no danger of running into the kids) so I would have the luxury of wearing Lolita everyday if I wanted.

Any tips on wearing Lolita everyday? What am I not anticipating or should prepare for?
>>
>>8679926
Adding to this that the 1986 adaptation of A Little Princess is much more true to the book. The 1995'version is very pretty,mbut ends up changing the storyline almost completely.
>>
>>8680809
For me, it's the opposite. I spend summer and winter break with my family wearing normal-ish cute clothing and the school year in a different province wearing lolita. Going to be spending next summer with my cousin in China though so summer lifestyling tips would also be appreciated.

Also, does fpf's cage skirt fold easily? I need something to keep the petti off my sweaty legs. Is it easy to sit in or put in a suitcase?
>>
>>8680809
If you don't have simple (even "plain") pieces in your wardrobe, consider adding some. You can wear fancy printed JSKs and OPs as daily pieces but they require a lot more in terms of maintenance (dry cleaning etc.), whereas simple non-printed pieces can be washed by hand and are generally easier to take care of.

Stock up on socks. Lots of them. You can never have enough socks and tights; printed/patterned and plain are both okay (depends on your wardrobe and personal tastes more than anything); personally I prefer simple OTKs (with and without lace) because they're more versatile.

Make sure you have at least one pair of comfortable, sturdy shoes and at least one versatile purse - The more coords they match, and the more beating they can take, the better.
It's great to have a variety of shoes and purses to choose from but wearing lolita on the daily can be tasking and you will want a pair of comfy (but elegant) shoes to wear when you don't feel like putting too much effort into a coord.

Beyond that, just make sure you have enough main and complementary pieces to work with. JSKs and skirts are easier to coordinate in interesting new ways, while OPs (though maybe a bit "boring") are easier to wear because they require very little coordinating skills to look good; again, it depends on your wardrobe and your personal preferences.

I can't think of any more tips at the moment but I hope these helped a bit!
>>
>>8680046
I agree with this, I think for some it can often be difficult to break into the older books as they're a challenge and sometimes a bit dry. That doesn't mean there isn't merit to reading them, but there's something absolutely wonderful about the visual splendor of seeing a good period piece, to the see a recreation without having to imagine it all while reading, to hear the vocal cadence, things you just can't replicate from a book, they both serve their purpose.
>>
Their are a few good lifestyle Lolita inspiration boards on Pinterest it's much easier than searching through tumblr. I've been thinking about making one for gothic Lolita but worried it'll come off as more goth and less lolita.
>>
File: 1311252242952885.jpg (41 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1311252242952885.jpg
41 KB, 500x341
I think for me, being able to wear it near 24/7 is definitely a goal. Like >>8680632 said, I plan on making lounge-wear and more casual pieces that are still lolita that I can wear around the house on my days off, or to work that aren't to OTT.
Also, I'd love to get my house to a place that feels more in tune with my aesthetic. Of course, that takes time and money, but I've slowly been building up pieces toward that goal... my office/sewing room is pretty much done, at least, but as I rent I can't really re-do the kitchen or anything much... Pic related is what I really like/want
>>
>>8680096
You are more than likely right. Also, I didn't bookmark any of those links but some of the academic papers about shoujo culture that were posted in recent otome threads might find some interested readers in this thread too.

>>8680545
Do you, girl. You can work on having a less abrasive personality if you want to--trust me, I've been working on that, and while it *is* a lot of work, it can definitely help.
>>
>>8680545
I agree, my comm seems to treat meetups like a fashion show more than a meetup. It's fine for fancy themed events or cons, even, but I'd love more casual "lifestyle" meetups where it isn't ALL about "look at my crazy OTT outfit with my rare release print that I paid a buttload for BE JEALOUS"
>>
>>8680668
>(though by the final year it turned out that all the girls who had bullied the few openly gay girls all came out as gay themselves)

totally off topic but that happened at my mixed-gender school too. I think the kids who are the most put off by gayness are often carrying around some latent homosexuality.

On topic, are there any manga or anime anyone would recommend? I've been watching Rose of Versailles lately and it's been pretty fun.
>>
>>8681086
I will usually give a little lip service to those types, but yeah, it's be nice to talk about something else. I think it's just an easy goto, some ladies are very caught up in the fervor of having all the latest accessories and the latest trends, dreaming about what they want next, I think it can be difficult to steer a conversation away from that.
>>
>>8680877
This is really solid advice. I wear a lot of lolita clothing to work, mostly solid black and some all-over printed dresses. I keep my more ornately decorated/printed dresses for wearing with the comm, they don't feel like "everyday" pieces to me the way, say, Meta's Pintuck tiered jsk does. If you're wearing skirts on the regular I'd recommend stocking up on cardigans and boleros, and look into some tutorials for cute-ing up normie cardigans, too. That really helps your wardrobe go farther than it normally would.

Comfortable shoes that match the style are a must though.
>>
>>8681064
I'd probably follow that board if you did make it, anon. I love seeing gothic lifestyle ideas.
>>
>>8681064
I think you can still do gothic lolita lifestyle really easily. There's a lot of oldschool inspiration that can go into it, such as the whole "creepy doll" aesthetic that you don't really see in just plain gothic. I also consider it a cuter and more elegant lifestyle than just a straight up goth. If you're interested in EGA, you can even touch on that too.

Anyway, I'd love to see what you do. I really think we need more gothic lolita lifestye.
>>
>>8680809
socks socks socks socks socks

Also plainer everyday main pieces like anon said, as well as plainer boleros/blouses/cutsews depending on what you like to wear. I love my fancy princess-sleeved blouses but they're practically unwearable in most everyday situations (unless you like to have dirty wet sleeves all the time in which case they're awesome). I have a few cutsew/blouse hybrids that button up but are made from t-shirt material and they're absolutely perfect for more casual outfits.
>>
Lately I've been thinking of starting up a lifestyle blog and doing some of the monthly challenges that were on the princess portal.
In November, I plan on doing NaNoWriMo to try something new. Any writer gulls here?
>>
>>8681205
Not really a writer myself but I'd love to read your blog, should you ever start it.
>>
>>8681205
Anon I am so excited about this please share a link
>>
>>8681116
What kinds of things would you consider to be part of a gothic lolita lifestyle?
>>
>>8681205
I plan to write a screenplay for the fun of it. I'm a little unsure though whether to do it in my first language and pretty much end up doing nothing ever with it for that reason. Or go with English, be able to share it but not up to native speaker standards.
>>
>>8681398
Here are some of my ideas, but I myself don't think most people can commit to a lifestyle. I love gothic stuff but I also like kdramas.

Slightly melancholy but still 'pretty' things, such as flower pressing, doll collecting, taxidermy collecting, sewing, urban exploring. Taking analogue photographs of treasures and nature. Reading gothic horror novels, listening to emotional classical music, writing poetry, painting, keeping a cute but goth-able pet if you're the kind to have a pet as an accessory.

Gothic lolitas really suit classical instruments like violins, like that two-piece Japanese band.
>>
>>8681398
animal skulls, vintage funeral attire, old school platform shoes, moitie, mana, heavy furniture, velvet, hair/makeup tutorials from the bibles, jewel tones, books, weird shit with doll parts in jars
>>
>>8681423
This gave me so much inspo for my Pinterest thank you but now I'm leaning more towards a tumblr for blog/personal posts hmm. Pinterest is really good for the aesthetic side but as full on lifestyle I'm not sure.
>>
>>8680046
I'd root for you! I;m trying to put together a list of lifestyle lolita things to do and I'd love to redirect people to your list of recommendations.

>>8680048
That's a good idea. Where did you get your wallpaper from?
>>
Everyone always talks about starting OC blogs here but how many OC blogs have actually happened? Any recommendations?
I don't have the time to commit but I would like if there was someone who occasionally allowed submission pieces, I'd like to contribute to the community in ways other than just commenting on people's tumblr pictures without actually having to run a whole blog myself.

>>8681205
Oh cute, I'd read little weeky installments even if they were only short and simple.

>>8681432
Post it here if you ever start it!
Even if it ends up more goth than lolita, we'd still appreciate it if it carries the 'feeling'
>>
>>8681398
eating spam

>>8680868
Ooh, have fun. I hope you find some cute sun parasols over there.

>>8680545
>>8681086
Yeah, I kind of know that feel. My local comm is pretty good about keeping it casual, but the main comm tends to have more people in it for the prints and crazy coords. I'm glad that there are some smaller meets sprinkled throughout the year that discourage that kind of thing though. Have you thought about hosting your own meets? Maybe do something like an old-fashion card game night (either make it like a pot luck or serve tea and snacks) or a crafting night?
>>
>>8681044
This for sure, I could never deal with Pride and Prejudice before I watched the based BBC series and then suddenly realised how funny Mr and Mrs Hill are.

A well written book is a feast for the mind, and a beautifully directed costume drama is a feast for the eyes- both please the heart of the lolita!

I've been wanting to write about historical films on my blog for a while but tbh media inspiration anon probably has it better covered.
>>
File: tumblr_me8f8vXMhr1rllnueo1_500.jpg (25 KB, 500x214) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me8f8vXMhr1rllnueo1_500.jpg
25 KB, 500x214
>>8681417
>but not up to native speaker standards
I don't know why foreigners think we all speak English flawlessly and will judge you harshly for making a few negligible errors. Quite many natives wouldn't be able to tell or just wouldn't notice if you made an error, and judging from your post (though I know it's not much to go by) your English is perfectly fine, go for it.

I've a friend from Russia who speaks English better than me and I'm a native. Like, her vocabulary is so much broader than mine, her accent is flawless, you really wouldn't be able to tell she wasn't from the US unless you saw her passport. Yet she's always insecure and stutters like crazy when she gets too self-conscious because she thinks there are some grammatical errors only natives can notice or something and everyone must be making fun of her.
Nowadays I don't really think being a native means much, just relax guys. Go on twitter for a quick self-esteem boost if you don't believe me.
>>
>>8681417
>>8681484
This. Out of all my online acquaintances, the non-native English speakers have better written English than the native speakers. They're just more careful when they type. I would love to read your screenplay.
>>
>>8681467
After reading the lifestyle threads, I started a blog and so have some other anons.

Lolita Blog Directory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yO9r--waeN1UbKJJM92uJPu4mmTm0jU4I5eTnuqeUDg/edit?usp=sharing

There's a handful of gothic blogs on there, mine included! I haven't made many lifestyle posts yet, though.
>>
>>8681484
>>8681514
That's reassuring. I'm more worried about sounding weird than blatant errors though. Like the flow of words, the rhythm is just different.
>>
>>8681544
What I find helpful when I have to write in French (not my native language) is reading French literature just before, then I find myself "speaking" in the right manner.
>>
>>8680877
>>8681099
Thanks this is really lovely advice. I do have a lot of plain stuff and a lot of innocent world ETC stuff which I think feels more casual and easier to wear. I wear mushroom clock to work all the time actually with no petti and a cardi.

Can I get some more thoughts on shoes? I haven't found teaparties to be very comfortable for everyday (fine for a meet tho). I'd love something really versatile and flat or very low heel is a must.

Thanks guys I love these threads.
>>
>>8681614
You should check out the otome thread, even if you plan on styling your ETC stuff in a more casual lolita way. There are usually tons of great shoe suggestions in there, and the gulls are generally very helpful.

Personally I find brogues or oxfords with a short heel in black or brown goes with almost all of my daily-wear stuff, look cute and are comfortable enough to wear to work without feeling like your feet are going to fall off.
>>
Anyone else listening to the new Joanna Newsom album? It's so beyond anything I've ever listened to.
>>
Has anyone seen the trailer for Pride & Prejudice and Zombies? It's combining the lifestyle lolita for killing zombies.
>>
>>8681614
Seconding >>8681676's suggestion of brogues and oxfords. I you're cool with animal products then have a look at a nice leather pair. You don't have to spend a fortune, but a good quality pair will last you for years, be comfy to wear, and give your outfit a mature vibe.
>>
File: lifestylelolita.jpg (76 KB, 640x490) Image search: [Google]
lifestylelolita.jpg
76 KB, 640x490
Do lifestyle watch gore videos like 3guys1hammer?

What do lolitas think about 2 guys fighting? Yay or Nay? Do you prefer even match or uneven match (one is stronger than the other).
>>
>>8682475
Idk, I think that's something personal. I like gore myself, and other non-loli-looking things. But I'm still a lolita so whatever
>>
>>8681544
You probably won't. If your English is grammatically correct and what you're saying makes sense, you'll be fine. Most people speak fairly neutral English, it's just some little expressions that make a difference but you would only be using them in spoken English anyway.

Maybe pay more attention to those when you want to write realistic dialogues. To give you an example: you wouldn't use 'cunts, the lot of ye' in a story or anywhere other than a close circle of friends, really. But if you were to write a story where the protagonist is a working-class NEET, you'd probably have him speak like that. On top of that, he wouldn't sound American unless it was under some really specific circumstances. So pay attention to those I guess, but that's just common sense I think, you don't really need to worry.
>>
>>8682475
Only when it's fisticuffs or fencing and only when they're both dashing and shirtless. Anything else is for plebs.
>>
>>8682475
Not a fan of gore, generally speaking. I like horror and "non-loli" things (since >>8681899
mentioned it, I'm super curious about Pride & Prejudice & Zombies) but gore usually just disgusts me more than anything. As for guy fights, the "two guys fighting for a lady's heart/honor" trope bores me, even if the guys in question are fancy Victorian gentlemen (or at least dressed like it).
Though like >>8682486 said, it's a personal thing and opinions vary. You can't really answer a question like "what do lolitas think about x?" because there will never be a single answer (unless you're asking for our opinion on Milanoo); lolitas aren't a hive mind.
>>
>>8679998
Eh, I went to a girl's school and it was absolutely not a lolita environment. It wasn't special or quirky, it was just a school without guys. It was okay. Nobody bullied the lesbians (not for being lesbian anyway) and it was pretty chill overall, but if you came in wearing a giant skirt and reading Jane Austen you'd weird a lot of people out.
>>8680028
I love antique cookbooks! Especially when they have little notes scribbled in. I enjoy reading books on etiquette and household guides too, but I really love are magazines. It's like looking at EGL vs CGL, books give you the lifestyle but magazines give you fashion tips and bitchy gossip. It's incredibly entertaining to read an article from like 1910 that's basically a long series of backhanded compliments and rumours about someone's sex life way before the words 'sex life' could be printed in a reputable magazine.
>>
>>8682486
>>8682497
>>8682509
thank you.

are lolitas generally normals? like can they go out of their house and socialize with people or attend parties?
>>
>>8680635
'no'
>>8679998
I went to an all-girls secondary school, and it wasn't bad. Nobody was a staunch feminist (probaby because I don't live in America, thank God for that) but many of us didn't bother shaving anything, if our uniforms smelled we didn't give a fuck, and we just weren't all that girly in a nutshell.
Like >>8680668 said, it really wasn't a place you'd want to wear lolita in. Far from it being hell, hell I loved it there, but you really didn't have much freedom to wear what you like and everything had this eerie religious overtone.

Everyone was great craic but by 2nd year we all got incredibly cock thirsty and weren't above talking about boys in the middle of lectures. Even nowadays when I meet a guy I start blushing and stuttering, usually before calming down and realising he's actually rather ugly (as men are, in my country).
>>
>>8682538
>are lolitas generally normals?
Depends on how you look at it, I guess. I think plenty of "normies" would say the fact we like to dress this way makes us abnormal, regardless of what sort of life we lead.
>can they go out of their house
That's some odd wording, anon. What do you mean? Do you think lolitas are somehow not allowed to leave their homes and meet other people when they're dressed up?
Honestly, lolitas are people. I don't know what sort of answers you're expecting here.
>>
>>8682563
I mean do lolitas have normal social skills? I know a lot of /r9k/ regulars have panic attacks in social situations and don't go out much.

I guess what I'm asking is are you the female version of /r9k/ who just happen to like lolita dress, or are you the female version of normal people who just happen to like lolita dress?
>>
>>8682564
Like I said, lolitas are individuals. Some may not have adequate social skills (as some people don't), others are perfectly fine in social situations.
A big part of lolita fashion is the community, and a common activity for lolita communities is to have meetups, especially tea parties, so yes lolitas can be and definitely are social.
But again, it depends. Some people like to wear lolita on their own, few are too scared of the attention it brings to wear it public so they only wear it at home, but a big part of enjoying the fashion is wearing it and sharing the love of it with other people.
>>
>>8682564
If anything, lolita has made me more of a social person than I used to be. It takes a bit of courage to go out in public wearing it, and I'm usually w/ other people (who may or may not be in lolita). If you're putting yourself out there, strangers /will/ approach you and unless you want to be rude you talk to them.

Of course, everyone is different...but most of the lolitas I know are really social individuals. Just normal folks who like wearing pretty shit.
>>
>>8682538
I prefer to invite people over to my house to socialize (there's a guest at my house right now, in fact), but I can leave and socialize elsewhere if I want. I had guests over last night for an impromptu dinner and then some cards, it was nice.
>>
>>8682564
There are quite a lot of lolitas with anxiety, but they're not the majority by any means. Generally the community is somewhere in between 'normals' and socially awkward weebs - many of us do have nerdy/weeby interests and aren't likely to have been in the cool kids club in high school but we do expect a basic minimum of social skills, hygiene etc. Someone who commits a lot of social faux pas or makes others uncomfortable will be called out on it eventually.
>>
>>8681518
Thanks for posting this, anon! I love reading blogs.

Are RSS feeds dead? Does anyone use anything like that to stay on top of blog reading anymore?
>>
>>8681893
I really love it, I can't get enough of her.

>>8682497
I prefer a bit of an unbuttoned look to full shirtlessness, but everybody likes different things.

>>8682534
I love old magazines too, anon. I have a bit of a collection that I've been picking up at old bookstores and library sales. They are so much fun to read.
>>
>>8680167
Other anons have already mentioned period dramas, but I think also satirical pieces from the time should also be included, as they provide social commentary for those times. We should remember that not everything was all roses during the periods from which lolita fashion takes inspiration, not even for the upper classes. On the contrary, there was plenty of excess and rot there, with rigid social mores that ranged from petty to downright cruel.

It's also healthy for any subculture to remember that there will always be an element of absurdity in the pursuit of its ideals, and that members should accept and acknowledge that absurdity, instead of just ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist.

Recommendations (all plays, with a few having movie adaptations):

"The Miser" by Molière

"Pygmalion" by G.B. Shaw (note: was later adapted into a musical and movie later as "My Fair Lady" with a DRASTIC change in the ending)

"The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde
>>
>>8681518

Aw man, I'm still listed as on hiatus, I'm glad you posted this so I could see to message the creator!
>>
What would you all consider a "sweet lifestyler"? I really enjoy seeing everyone's varied answers. I very often see the classic side but would also like to talk more about gothic and sweet.

I'd say a sweet lolita lifestyler tends to be the type of people that often really embrace "kawaii culture". When I was researching more into the lifestyle mindset behind sweet lolita, I found even the Wikipedia page for "Kawaii" actually mentions lolita fashion and specifically sweet lolita itself.

On a different note than that, like how Jane Austen might really speak to the heart of a classic lolita, I noticed sweet lolitas will speak of something from their childhood like Sailor Moon as actually shaping them. Even some sweet lolita brands will touch on this, such as the AP Creamy Mami collab. They'll collect new and old merchandise from these animes, mention jokingly they're "a secret magical girl", and still live by a lot of advice that was given in the shows. The idea of being very cute and girlish in style and "transforming" into something stronger while wearing it.

Anyway, I just wanted to get all that out. These are just some of my observations
>>
>>8682969
Without trying to offend anyone I think the sweet lifestyle is as you said the grown child lifestyle. Lots of collecting children's toys, eating children's food, watching children's shows, playing children's games.
>>
>>8682810
>drastic change in the ending
I've both read the play and watched the film but the ending was the same? The only difference is the play Henry Higgins is a lot more of a prick, and some other things have been changed quite a bit
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 500x750
Crimson Peak gave me lifestyle goth feels
>>
It's more than just lolita clothing, having lots of stuff and the latest prints. Being a lifestyler means incoporate the lolita part in your life, that doesn't mean you have to live as a victorian girl or being into only stereotypically feminine hobbies like sewing, baking, etc. The lolita aestethic in your room or house, collecting vintage or cute items, using more cute or elegant items that match your lolita lifestyle everyday, make time for your lolita "moments", etc.
I'm doing it slowly because i'm collecting money to buy clothing, waiting to sell old furniture to create a creepy cute study, not much moments to wear lolita or printed items... It's a challenge. Adding a tad of depression and anxiety i'm trying to overcome... Lolita lifestyling is a long process.
Buying more old school and casual, otome-ish items. Wear it sometimes at home, buying more cute clothing and items to make my life better.
>>8682475
Not really, i'm more a fan of paranormal horror and fantasy stuff rather full gore. I like many not so lolita stuff
>>
>>8679926
> Twelfth Night
> Elizabeth
>>
>>8684429
> stardust
>>
>>8681893

The new CocoRosie is really good too.
>>
File: 1433220756077.jpg (136 KB, 1125x1108) Image search: [Google]
1433220756077.jpg
136 KB, 1125x1108
Ok, I tried to make a blog post. I just realized how repetitive I must sound, and I hate how 4chan thinks I'm spamming.

>tinyurldotcomslash25LifestyleIdeas

I hope some of you recognize the old LJ links. I don't want to be the only one here feeling nostalgic over the Victorian etiquette game.
>>8683342
and unrealistic hair expectations.
>>
>>8681893
I still can't really get past her voice, but somehow sat through Sapokanikan. I haven't put time to listen to the rest of the new EP though.
>>
>>8686089
Following your blog now! Yay!
>>
>>8681544
If you have a friend who has English as their first language, maybe you could ask them to check for errors.
>>
>>8686089
>>tinyurldotcomslash25LifestyleIdeas
This was a nice read. Thanks for posting, anon!
>>
>>8682969
I'd say that classic and gothic have a lot of sophistication and elegance, but sweet lifestylers seem to focus more on innocence. Not childish innoncence, in that they don't know what's happening, but more like they choose to ignore bitchiness and drama (or at least don't show such an interest in it). They would embrace kawaii culture, I think, but so do we all. I'd say that a lot of simple, almost oldschool pieces would be wardrobe staples, and the flashier AP pieces would be more for special occasions/meets. Cheerful music, clean pastel-toned rooms, and a lot of simple yet cute touches to everyday things (like adding strawberry slices in the shape of a flower to pancakes, or decoing appliances) are what make a sweet lifestyler for me. Full-on kawaii is fine, but it seems like it'd be quite tiring to keep up the childish act, and oldschool sweet just seems a lot more practical and soothing for everyday life.
>>
>>8682969
>mfw i decided i'm both gothic and sweet lolita "lifestyler"
>i love to add more kawaii items for daily use but the majority of my wardrobe is in black, sweet, otome and gothic
>listen to darker music a lot
>being into some degree of gothic lifestyle but not into it fully
I don't think there are all the time specific lifestylers depending of their lolita wardrobe, some like only kawaii or sweet things, some like spooky, some more elegant and some a mix of all this. I'm not even a fan of Sailor Moon, i got tired to see merch about this anime everywhere.
I saw many into sweet having this more childish and anime related lifestyle (like Peachie) but not everyone applies to that.
>>
>>8687480
I like darker music a lot anon, it's something that has been a favourite of mine/appealed to me for a long time. May I ask what your favourite artists are?
>>
>>8683016
In Pygmalion, Eliza leaves Higgins. In My Fair Lady, they added a new scene at the end where Eliza returns to him, Higgins tells her "Eliza fetch me my slippers!" and she does it.

Shaw also wrote an essay called "What Happens Afterwards" for... well, what happens after the events of Pygmalion. Here's a link: http://www.bartleby.com/138/6.html
>>
>>8687495
I listen mostly to industrial/electro darker stuff or visual kei, not a fan of various metal genres. My favourite artists are Schwarz Stein, Kaya, GPKISM (visual kei all of them). Also Aural Vampire and Yura Hatsuki. About non japanese i love a lot KMFDM, not lolita appropriate artist i know. Yours instead?
I love dark music, movies but being shoehorned into gothic subculture is very limiting since my home stuff is pastel and My Melody/Rilakkuma themed, i love a lot bright pastels and red, strawberries, bears, plushies. This contrast between creepy and cute is appealing for me, if i'm just into fully sweet lifestyle or gothic would be too limiting.
>>
>>8687480
I'm actually a bit like you too, except with just a bit of classic to the mix as well. I was just pointing out some people I see who are really drawn to their childhood or cute things for empowerment in sweet sort of lifestyles, Peachie being a good example, like you mentioned. I think it's fine to be a mix and it's your personal fingerprint.
>>
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but what are some ideas for casual meetups that you can do easily around this time of year (ie not picnics)? My comm is dead for meetups and I'd like to arrange some but I have no idea what to do. Having tea gets a little bit overdone.
>>
>>8687821
I'm guessing by casual you mean not holiday related right? Cause that's a given.
>>
almost made a southern belle Lolita lifestyle blog on tumblr then realized sjw tumblr would eat me alive lol dodged a bullet
>>
>>8687821
Game night. You can make it nerdy as playing D&D, play lolita themed games like Lolitas Against Humanity or Loliopoly or pictionary, or more old fashioned like bridge or canasta.

Craft meets are fun too. I think turning either meets into a potluck would be a good replacement for tea.
>>
>>8687813
It's really cute to be a bit childish in tastes like collecting toys and other children items or watching cartoons as Peachie (her home is so freaking cute), i love dolls and plushies as well but not children toys, i'm more a bjd, japanese plushies and miniature items fan, more appropriate for my idea of lifestyle that isn't 100% sweet lolita. Creating a personal lolita lifestyle is better rather to try too hard to fit in a box that doesn't suit you much.
About the "classic" part, i love a lot period clothing especially from the 800s-first 1900s and its history. I need to indulge more on it.
>>
File: 1420776574767.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1420776574767.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>8686089
>Victorian etiquette game
aw yeah that was my jam
>>
>>8687916
Ngl though, I would read the shit out of that.
>>
>>8687916
Just disable ask and strictly ignore any angry or concerned sjw reblogs you might get.
>>
What are some other good blogging sites you guys use that isn't infected with tumblr?
>>
>>8679998
I went to a girls school, but it was a military program so not very habitable for lolita.>>8680007
>>
>>8681398

Listening to bauhaus and sisters of mercy.
>>
>>8683342
>tfw you will never be a goth aristocrat queen in a velvet dress
>>
>>8690138
but you can pretend to be anon (we're in the same boat I feel you)
>>
>>8682475
I can accept gore when it is *justified* or used as a way to create environment, but I cannot tolerate it when I know is snuff or real shit, or looks like the fantasy of some crazy pervert-writter

3guys1hammer made me squeal for years, and a friend of mine could not understand why because nothing was too obvious.
That concrete girl story has made me cry for a week.

Animal snuff, never. makes me wanna burn the internet

Just enjoy good ol' zombies
>>
>>8690083
None? You can have a blogspot or wordpress or, lol, livejournal but none of that will get you any of the exposure and communication tumblr will.
>>
File: UOlRt.jpg (184 KB, 685x1024) Image search: [Google]
UOlRt.jpg
184 KB, 685x1024
>>8679998
I went to an all girls grammar school (a type of UK school where you have to gain entry via examination), I found it to be bitchy but still very traditional - we wore boater hats and a very nice uniform. As for feminism - there were no feminazis - every girl was a feminist, by which I mean believed in total equality and worked extremely hard to get into Politics, science etc.

I'm now a Theoretical Physicist but I've also ended up as an amateur antique book collector so I'm surrounded by oddities and scientific equipment I get given by my uni and old books dating from around ~1600. I seem to live a "classical lolita" life and am currently collecting clothes to match - obsessed with book prints and also tartan. My home city is Oxford so when I'm home from Uni I like to get all lolita-d up, hop on a bike and cycle around the town and walk around the museums for hours and hours. Currently looking and aiming to decorate my house so it looks like an old library- I shall get there one day

I love the cutesy lolita lifestyle but it's just not me - I'll admire from afar

The photo is of the Shakespeare and Company in Paris - I place I admire and aim my house to be like
>>
>>8679998
I went to an all girls Catholic school nearly all of my childhood. There wasn't a large lgbt community or feminist group at my hs, probably because it was a religious school.
>>
>>8687916
As long as you make it clear that it's about the asthetic associated with the time/place, and not the lynchings, and of course disable ask and ignore the meltdowns, it should be fine. If you include things like dress patterns and period recipes it'll just be another lifestyle blog, and a very interesting one. I'd read it.
>>
>>8690161
>I've also ended up as an amateur antique book collector
Do you just collect them or do you also deal/trade/sell?
>>
>>8682475
I think its disgusting personally. Fake gore in film is one thing but that shit in real life is sickening and the people that do it are less than animals imo.
>>
To me I see it as a young woman that's living her life as gracefully as possible. She has impeccable manners, always looks well put together, and she believes that there is good in everyone.
I wear dresses nearly everyday and I try to make sure that I look very respectable and not like an average 20 something.
I wear toned down sweet but I would classify myself as a lover of the classic/gothic lifestyle.
>>
>>8690161
I feel like you are the main character in some sort of Philip Pullman book. This sounds very awesome.
>>
>>8690219

I've been a collector since around 15 (now almost 20) and I'm slowly getting more involved in dealing - my dad is an antiques dealer so I've had help from him with with finding connections and valuing items. I just don't want it to take up too much of my life due to Physics
>>8690291
Thank you so much! Philip Pullman is such a great storyteller!

I really want to get in touch with Lolitas - and general people - who share my interests

Just thought of another thing I do that others maybe interested in - blending your own loose tea - buy a simple gunpowder base and experiment with different flavours. Sometimes it really doesn't work - but sometimes it does!
>>
>>8687916
>>8690191
Seconding this. Please actually do this. Southern Belle lolita lifestyle sounds like a really interesting read.
>>8690161
I kind of envy you. That sounds like such an amazing lifestyle. I'm just curious, what are your favorite brands to wear?
>>
>>8690161
Will you be my lifestyle waifu
>>
>>8690333
Don't envy me! Brand wise I mostly actually wear Indie - I think the indie market has such beautiful stuff right now , but I love IW. My favourite indie brand right now is actually Miss Point- I like their simplicity but beauty.
>>8690345
Of course - waifu for hire
>>
>>8690121
This is my favourite comment.
I love both bands and I wonder if Japanese gothic lolitas at some point would of been interested in this sort of music rather than V-kei/Jgoth or interested in both.
>>
>>8687611
Your taste is very interesting, I like Aural Vampire and have listened to a bit of visual kei but never got that into it. KMFDM are not bad either. It's fascinating that you also have such a cute taste and your home is decorated ( I have quite a bit of plushes too). That's understandable and I think a lot of people fall in to that category.

I listen to a lot of gothic rock and slighty romantic stuff mainly The Cure, Depeche Mode, Sisters Of Mercy, Joy Division, Bauhaus, etc but also enjoy Covenant and Xymox more industrial/electronic music. I am not into metal genres either.
>>
>>8690406
Thank you anon! Years ago i was more into the classic western goth aestetic, now i'm not that attracted to it except if i have to see some hot goth guys lol, but what i see in my body is cute fashions and that is lolita, otome and other styles. Mainly black, i want to try full pastels or red in lolita later.Heh, my home isn't decorated yet, i have just kawaii items in my desk, furniture and bed, i'm waiting to sell my old furniture to deco my room. My dresses also decorate my bedroom, i have two open racks and cute/shabby chic boxes around. I just need to get rid of some old kiddy/tween junk with legit creepy or cute items. I loveeee a lot Rilakkuma and My Melody Halloween versions, wish they did more items with them, Kuromi is also one of my favs.
I don't listen to many visual artists, because they have these annoying screamo voices (the newer bands usually) or too generic metal/rock sounds, i'm very picky in terms of vk.
I have to listen more of the classic goth bands, i always end to listen stuff that is industrial, hellelectro (so rori yes lol) and stuff a la Blutengel. Covenant is cool, i suggest also VNV Nation but just their old stuff. There isn't much romantic vibes industrial music, i have heard something from Japan and visual like Blam Honey that could fit our lolita lifestyles. Their music is a bit odd and experimental to hear (yes, industrial to the real sense), but it's very very very different from the other vk stuff i have heard. Another one i love is Velvet Eden, the vocalist crossdress in lolita occasionally. Their old PVs like La Fin give me a lolita vibe, not sure why. The music, the mood, the decadent and elegant...Like the old school lolita "creepy doll" feeling.
>>
>>8690393
Novala wrote a short story about a gothic lolita that referenced Bauhaus, I think.
>>
>>8686089

I thought I'd let you guys know that I updated the entry with a link to the NPR Tea Tuesday posts. I had no idea that there's someone who dedicates every Tuesday in posting articles about tea.
>>
>>8690161
I'm saving your post and posting it in my dream house file to remind myself what I want in my life.
>>
Different anon, but we have very similar tastes in music.
>>
>>8690809
Which anon do you have similar taste to?
>>
I'm just going to throw in my two bits ladies, pardon the intrusion. I believe what you ladies are describing sounds like a lifestyle and personality that I both enjoy and find incredibly attractive. I'm a southern raised man, with a creative mind and geeky disposition, yet dont enjoy the whiteknight, fedora try hards. What I'm wondering is if any of you ladies find a plain guy like me appealing, and if so, where can I find you? If more Lolita's went full time it would certainly make my search easier.
>>
>>8690997
The real question is do you dress the part as well?
>>
File: 1436194910765.png (299 KB, 445x450) Image search: [Google]
1436194910765.png
299 KB, 445x450
>>8690997
>>
>>8691027
If you're asking if I dress well, yes. Typically of an older era.
If the question is if I confine myself to a specific fashion, no.

>>8691028
I'm refering more to the sensibilities and attitude of a refined woman, rather than any specific etiquette.
>tfw anons mention great literature, gentile behavior, and a kind mindset; yet one shows something all together different.

I'm not here for your Lolita, I'm here on behalf of your other qualities.
>>
>>8691098
>using cgl as a dating site
>not understanding how shameful this is

Kek
>>
>>8691105
I do believe I apologized in advance, as for what is shameful? I'm of the belief that it's best to ask for forgiveness than permission. Staying quiet out of fear is more shameful to me, but thank you for pointing out my mistake.

To everyone else, by all means ignore my ignorance if I ruffle your skirts, that was not my intent.
>>
>>8691098
>I'm not here for your Lolita, I'm here on behalf of your other qualities.
i'm a guy btw
>>
>>8691129
I was hoping that my statement was clearly to everyone and not just you, but I don't see how revealing your gender impacts what I said. I'm southern, not homophobic.
>>
finding affordable, non-cartoony gothic decor is difficult. any gothic lifestylers have tips?
>>
>>8690809
The one that mentioned The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Bauhaus, ect. They also said they weren't into metal genres.
>>
>>8691141
As a diy guy I'd say do your own if you can produce high quality. Personally I like spray booth, high quality, high gloss on small decor and trim. I also go for a decent bone white or off white with blue undertones, may be anti-goth but it highlights and dark colored pieces you have and the creepy factor plays a lot into it if you do it right.
>>
>>8690778
Ah thank you that's so sweet!

I honestly didn't think I'd get such a good reaction to my post so thank you gulls!
>>
>>8690632
Your welcome, I think the eastern gothic aesthetic is quite unique and more multi-layered. Oh anon that is so funny. Goth guys can be quite nice, my boyfriend was a goth but does not dress that way anymore. I think it's brilliant you wear otome too is it dark coloured/black? I forgot to ask is gothic lolita the only style of lolita that you wear? And what your favourite brand is. I think it is nice to try other colours, I've never worn full pastels either but do own some red pieces. Oh sorry for misunderstanding, I think it's nice that you have some kawaii items throughout your house. That's a really nice way of displaying them anon. I have one long rack with my dresses and a smaller rack too. Yeah it can be hard at first to get pieces to suit your style now/get rid of older stuff. The halloween versions are so cute, that would be great! I love halloween and halloween merch in Japan, I was never actually there on Halloween instead it was early October but already many stores were selling spooky or creepy cute items. Kuromi is nice too! I understand anon, I do not like screamo voices either. Sometimes it is good to be picky with music.
Ah okay I understand. I actually saw Covenant live and they are very good live, I like early VNV nation too! Yeah I haven't come across it much either it's more in the gothic/dark wave music that I listen to.I will have to look into it thank you for your suggestion it does sound very experimental (it certainly does like in the beginning). This is a great suggestion anon! Thank you so much I feel the vibe too. I really like the creepy doll aesthetic/feeling in old school it's almost a little sad that's it's not really popular anymore.
>>
>>8690683
That's amazing thanks for that information anon, I'm going to hunt for the story now. I quite enjoy Novala's writting.

>>8691151
Oh that's me, your taste is very good. It's rare to meet someone with the same taste who is also a lolita. Have you ever had a chance to see any of them or their members live? If you don't mind me asking I'd be really interested to hear what styles of lolita you wear?
>>
>>8682534
That's fascinating anon, I went to a public co-ed school with a uniform policy but read Jane Austen and other classic literature regularly but did not get made fun of. The sad thing though was that some of these lovely novels had not been hired out for twenty or more years. I really should start to read for pleasure again. The last book I read was a bit more modern it was the Children's novel Charlotte Sometimes, I very much enjoyed it and perhaps it could be something other lolitas might be interested in.
>>
>>8682475
Fake gore and surgery/accident gore is fine to me. But stuff like 3guys1hammer just leaves a bad, awful feeling in my soul. I used to be really morbidly curious about stuff like that and would frequent /r/morbidreality, but it ended up just making me super depressed.
>>
>>8690997
I mean, it's impossible to say if one or any or all of us might find you appealing based on that short description. The "where can I find you?" is about as easy to answer as asking "where can I find someone I like?" in general... Put your interests on a dating site and try there; lifestylers don't have a specific place we all congregate or something, we don't have a secret code to recognize each other on the streets, so asking "where can I find you?" is not really a good question to ask. Rather, "I know this is not the right place, but because I'm interested in this stuff too and would like to find a significant other with this aesthetic/lifestyle I have to ask - are any of you single/looking/want to chat with a hetero/whatever cisdude/whatever?" (I'm assuming you're hetero cisman based on what you said, but apologies if you're something else) and drop a throwaway email? Maybe some info about where you live, your age, etc. would help, too.
>>
Do you guys frown on self-posting your own blogs? I just created one recently and plan to update it daily, or at least as often as I can. It will mainly center on gothic lolita/events/lifestyle issues.
>>
>>8691567
I'd love to follow you anon!
>>
>>8691567
Nah, I'd much rather have people posting their blogs so I can follow them!
>>
>>8691589
>>8691597

Aw, thank you guys! I've mainly created it so I can keep up with my own thoughts on things. Figured it would help me get more into the lifestyle state of mind. It's been enjoyable so far.

Since my link keeps getting marked as spam, the blog is doctorferdinand@blogspot
>>
>>8691281
>>8691277
>>8691151

Different anon, but it's pretty awesome to find other lolitas who like gothic rock and darkwave type stuff. Would you consider yourselves goths outside of lolita?
>>
>>8691277
I wear mostly sweet in black, my favourite brand is AP, but i would love to have many BTSSB and MMM pieces (the latter would be a bit difficult for the price range). I'm starting to dabble into gothic lolita, the old school/plainer type, i don't really like super OTT pieces for gothic. It's ok, anon!My study has some cute items but i plan to change the furniture in black and white, adding red and pink decorations as well. Usually i like goth or metalhead guys, thing is most would think i'm not edgy enough, unless they already know lolita or are into weeby/japan stuff or... they are just attracted to see someone that looks a bit different from the typical western goth/metalhead girls. I don't even wear too dark makeup, i love natural doe eyed makeup rather winged dramatic eye looks, it looks weird on me.
I wonder if here the lifestylers have some preferences into guys (or girls if bi/lesbian) that match their personalities or looks?For example a person that loves to dress goth, aristocrat, lolita or just loves classic literature, plays classical instruments, interested into antiques... etc without being into any specific style?I was always attracted by guys (occasionally girls too) that have similar interests and also clothing in some degree. I discovered i love to talk about history and literature or just insightful topics.
I'm not sure where i can get Halloween Rilakkuma stuff, i see pics online but i don't want to spend an arm and a eye to get a small item with SS.
I'm glad you like my musical suggestion, i always strived to find lolita appropriate music that isn't the usual sugary sweet pop (i do like some stuff sometimes, not Kyary btw) or western mainstream stuff with these pastel or lolita inspired looks (for example Melanie Martinez, nice but not appropriate for my taste).
I would like to go back into this creepy vibe doll linked with visual kei, it looks after 2010 almost no one (except Velvet Eden, Versailles and other old bands) do this.
>>
>>8691629
I feel like split in half, the other part is into pastel and cute the other is into black, spoopy. I'm yes somewhat of a goth not in the 100% sense.
It's good to think there are people into this type of music rather the "typical" lolita sweet music.
>mfw Lolitina isn't that bad but spoopy music is better
>>
>>8691716
That sounds lovely anon, I like a lot of AP's pieces in black but own none. BTSSB and MMM are my favourite, and I hope you can get a MMM dress or skirt one day as they are truly beautiful. That is my favourite type of gothic lolita. I used to wear more printed pieces/ott but wear much more plainer now. I wear gothic, old school, classic and a little bit of aristo. I like the idea of black and white with red and pink! It sounds like a great theme. It's a shame you usually are not 'edgy' enough for the guys you like. I like simpler doe eyed makeup too, dramatic does not work for everyone.

That is a very interesting perspective and I wonder how true it is of the many lifestylers in this thread? On a simpler level it always helps to have some similar interests with a partner.

May I ask what your favourite pieces of literature are? I hope you can find a way to get Halloween Rilakkuma stuff, SS fees can definitely add up quickly.
It's very nice to search for music that suits your taste/appropriate to your style of lolita.
That is sad that no one really does it anymore, I think lolita changed quite a bit around 2010. I'm glad some of the older bands still have that aesthetic.
>>
>>8691629
Yes I would, entirely, to the point where my hair usually looks like a cross between Robert Smith and a lion. I don't get to wear lolita as often as I'd like (mostly due to work), so that it's more of a hobby for me. When I do wear lolita, it's sugary AP vomit sweet, the complete opposite of what I usually wear.
>>
>>8691629
Hmmm I'm not sure if I would call myself definitely a goth outside of lolita. I was interested in the music many years before I got into lolita (I actually collect gothic rock and darkwave records) and would also dress in dark clothing half of the time, the other half I wore a lot of feminine or vintage clothes...gothic lolita was the halfway inbetween feminine yet dark it was the perfect fit. Still to this day I wear a lot of dark clothes but also more colorful or cute clothes, listen to trad goth and darkwave, like gothic literature, go to goth concerts when they rarely visit. I like a lot of cute things too and have plushes and cute stationary so I'm not quite sure. Definitely leaning towards the goth/dark side.
>>
>>8691880
What burando do you have in your closet?I have mainly AP (pastel vomit black colourways) and a BTSSB jsk. I want to get old school pieces for gothic/simpler sweet or classic. I love a lot red with black or pink, usually red is the color that suit me most other than black and pastel pink. The true gothic lolita is EGL from MMM, simple, easy yet super elegant and majestic. I found a furry black bag to coord with a future gothic old school coordinate, i remember a girl wearing fake fur accessories in gothic lolita but i lost the picture. Well, it's their loss if they aren't attracted or just they think i'm not edgy enough, there are still guys i like that would be interested of course but i'm ok to be single for now!Dramatic makeup looks good only on very angular/androgynous faces, i have a baby face and it looks weird, hopefully lolita allow natural makeup!
I started to wonder what type of partner wish lifestylers because in the past i tended to think these lolitas would just prefer someone that dress gothic/visual kei/rock or dandy, elegant or sharing the same styles like lolita. Some would apply to this, some not. It all depends of your preference but i always thought the fittest lifestyler partner share a degree of their personal interest, not just fashion or looks.
My favourite pieces of literature?I love mostly horror or classics of the literature, i don't read a lot i admit. I really love Dorian Grey for example.
2010 was a really good year for lolita, but after the super OTT classic trend with too much opulent items, the latest print hunt it's a bit losing its charm. I like to wear just lolita, not wearing the latest style, coord or print. Lolita isn't a fashion competition.
>>8691897
Are you me anon? Except going to concerts (mfw living in the middle of nowhere)i'm starting to love more colourful and cute clothing rather just black, black and black. Many times i look like i'm not a goth at all.
>>
>>8691893
Your hair sounds beautiful anon, The Cure are my all time favourite band. I've tried teasing my hair a lot of times but it is too long and wavy for it to work although when it was much shorter I dressed up as Robert Smith for an event once. Do you dress in gothic attire outside of lolita and work? I think it's fascinating you wear sugary AP vomit sweet in lolita. Do you like cute/kawaii things outside of lolita as well?
>>
>>8692134
I have a few classic IW jsks in soft or muted colours besides an underbust jsk in dark navy, I have some Moi Meme Moitie pieces which are all ops except for one skirt. I have some old school Meta and BTSSB ops and jsks, and some aristo jackets + skirts from AtBoz and BPN. Red with black sounds nice, I'm glad pastel pink suits you anon. I've been told blue (light blue or navy) and red suit me. I think so too, the materials and cuts really make it stand out and very gothic lolita. That's fantastic you already found a bag to suit a future coord. I think I vaguely remember the picture you are talking about. That's true anon and it's good to hear you are okay being single and confident in yourself. I agree it looks so beautiful on some of my friends/people I know and face shape plays a big part. Oh wow I am also baby faced/my face is very round. I think lolita allows for natural makeup especially the styles you are interested in. That is interesting and it seems quite true. I wonder how much then that would limit a lifestyler for finding a partner?
Those genres are my favourite too, but I have not read for awhile either. Dorian Grey is very good I really enjoyed reading it.
You encapsulated that very well. I think that is why I am drawn to old school and gothic...it still has that charm to it, simpler but still refined and gorgeous, not very competitive.
>>
File: building.jpg (137 KB, 226x500) Image search: [Google]
building.jpg
137 KB, 226x500
Recently, I have fallen in love with going to a used bookstore in downtown with five floors of old books. I have mostly been looking at ones from the 1800's through the turn of the century but they have everything. Oh, and the old history books they have are to die for.

I wish I had a friend like one of you ladies to go and spend a whole day there with.

I always go with people who don't have a real interest and want to leave after an hour. I still manage to leave with a stack every time though.

Any who, any book suggestions?
>>
>>8692923
I work at a used bookstore! It's very small, though, but we do sometimes get really old books that are so fun to look through.
My recommendations are to look at lifestyle magazines from 1920's, if they're available to you - my university's library has big volumes of old copies of Better Home & Garden and such by year and they are filled with amusing (hilarious/sad overt sexism/racism) things. Mostly the ads/images are good for nostalgia-inducing, though.
I recently bought an old copy of "Heidi" with adorable illustrations and I'm really enjoying reading it. If you like those kind of books/stories (Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, etc.) I recommend Heidi if you've never read the original!
>>
File: warwick goble mermaid.jpg (135 KB, 525x839) Image search: [Google]
warwick goble mermaid.jpg
135 KB, 525x839
>>8691615
Following! I like your blog so far!
>>
>>8692874
If I don't pin up bits of my hair on heavily teased days, then it's slightly more on the lion side. Other times it's more like Patricia Morrison's hair. I mainly wear gothic stuff outside of work. Lolita is just a sometimes food for me; however, I do also like cute things outside of lolita. If I had more time off to attend meetups, then I'd wear lolita more often. I'm not one to wear it while doing mundane activities.
>>
>tfw I want to be a lifestyler but lifestylers probably don't smoke weed in their burando
>>
>>8693046
Edibles, my friend. Fancy-ass edibles. (Nah I've vaped in burando, too)
>>
>>8693046
Okay, I smoked weed once and didn't really get it so I'm genuinely curious, why is weed treated like a lifestyle?
I can make the connection between clothing and lifestyle, but the way some people treat weed baffles me.
>>
>>8693080
Because it influences your behaviour and psyche much more than regular non-restricting clothing?
>>
>>8693046
Are u me?

For real tho, I still have a few bodyline and cheap taobao dresses that I smoke in if I want to feel frilly while getting high. I've considered it with my IW cutsew dress but I'm still too chicken for that.

>>88693046
Well that really depends on the person. I know a lot of people who smoke regularly who don't treat it as a lifestyle. It's kinda like alcohol in that respect. Some people plan their whole week around the next big party they're going to so they can get drunk af, and some people just have a glass of wine every night and that's it.
>>
>>8693129
Damnit I meant >>8693046
>>
>>8693046
weed =/=Lolita

it does not make you edgy or lifestyler, it just makes you prone to schizo
>>
File: kimonohimeyukata.jpg (98 KB, 300x589) Image search: [Google]
kimonohimeyukata.jpg
98 KB, 300x589
>>8693145
being schizo sounds pretty lifestyle tbh

>>8693046
>tf love history and lifestyle stuff
>tf also love scifi, tech wear, electronic music
>>
Do any of you have multiple lolita styles you try to work into your lifestyle? I've really wanted to get far more into lifestyle lately, but I both like gothic and sweet-classic a lot. Part of me felt like I should choose, but I know that's not going to happen. I'm not quite sure how to work them into a lifestyle together. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>8680029
Gosick is adorable. It isn't about a gothic lolita though, it's about a girl who dresses in victorian era clothing in like 1920 or something along those lines. It's still very cute and the anime is very beautiful
>>
>>8693280
This is me. I switch from wanting to be an elegant gothic aristocrat to wanting to be a southern belle to wanting to be a olden times librarian. Send help.
>>
>>8693280
I'm all over the place, from punk, to hipster, to otome, lolita, goth. I just try to do my best to work to make these all mesh somehow.
In the end it's just you trying to live authentically to yourself I think
>>
>>8692887
Fine taste anon!I look good in dusty pastels too like antique pink or dusty mint, having some IW in wine red would be awesome, but many of their items are a tad too long for my height. Oddly, i don't look bad in cold toned beige and navy i would like to try some ETC jsks in this color. Yes otome is amazing, but what i have is just dark colored offbrand otome items. My face is rounded oval but my features are not really stark, model like so i look like a joke. Misako-styled makeup is the only thing that suit me minus the fake lashes. MMM it's a pity not many people buy their pieces, i would like to have similar stuff from indie brands (taobao) but they just sell prints or too long pieces.
Not sure about the other lifestylers, but if a lolita is really into their lifestyle it's a bit difficult to find a partner that accept you fully without changing or mocking you.Harder than the ones that just dress lolita as a hobby. More or less like a goth, usually they just mingle with similar not just for similar tastes/attraction but they would be prone to accept you for what you are. This society is too much used to see women dressing for men, when someone dress for themselves, very feminine and not toned down like lolita is challenging women mainstream standards. Lolita as Momoko thinks, it's like an armor that make you stronger if you believe in this. I love old school threads, it makes my nostalgia (idk why i'm not that old) tingle.
Too cliched, but i like Poe's stories as well.
>>8693046
It's ok anon, as long you don't act like edgy in smoking weed it's like smoking cigarettes in my opinion but more fun. I never smoked anything btw.
>>8693280
Pastel vomit sweet and old school, plain gothic lolita. Not sure why i switch to AP pastel uguu to majestic MMM styles.
>>
>>8679714
I'm poor so I can't be a lolita. But if I could be one, I would organize meetings at parks not only to eat sweets and talk, but also to do things like painting, embroidering or sewing, using kites, playing games like: cards games, other table games, or games in which we had to use intelligence. Like the ladies did back in 19th century. But I would be a total lonely lolita, because I don't know any single lolita who is into these kind of meetings.
>>
>>8679995
WTF. Lolita is based in European, mostly brittish lifestyle and clothing from XIX century. Not being a kawaii modern japanese girl.
>>
>>8694052
But it only got to the point it did today by kawaii modern japanese girls.
>>
>>8694048
Fuck, anon. If you lived near me I'd even lend you dresses just so we could have meets like these.
>>
>>8694048

You've basically described the kind of meets I want. Doesn't even have to be in lolita, even just pretty old-fashioned type/inspired dresses would be fun I think.

I definitely feel like there's quite a few girls who would be interested in this, but the problem is they all probably live nowhere near each other.
>>
>>8694674
I don't think you should group all japanese people together. You might say that lolita wouldn't have grown in a culture that wasn't so full of cuteness, but it's clearly trying to be more western than the usual kawaii-moe-hello-kitty cuteness of other styles. It probably seems far more japanese to us that it does to them.
>>
>>8693280
I either wear lolita fashion or black and just black in outfits similar to this one chick, Hannah Snowdon.
It really just depends on my mood on whether I want to wear normie clothes or lolita.
>>
>>8694052
Why is so much of /cgl/ set on this shitty opinion.
It's just like any other rebellious harajuku fashion trend, but popular and widely misunderstood.
A jsk is very western, but so are jeans and t shirts.
From what I can see in GLBs and such, the focus on lolita is on the delicateness of the cute English things, like tea and etiquette and roses. Which is why this sort of thing makes sense.
But this fashion is japanese, the origins are japanese, the brands are japanese, and the influence is japanese.
I love Jane Austen and tea time but these "I'm interested in lolita for the History! Sugary Carnival is blasphemy!" people need to start their own community and call it something else.
>>
>>8693449
Thank you. That's nice to hear anon, I like dusty pastels a lot. IW in wine does sound awesome. Oh really anon!? How tall are you? I actually own a lot of IW pieces in the long versions as most other brands are too short for me. I think that sounds nice, ETC make beautiful pieces. Ah I understand, I hope you can get some branded otome items one day but I think it's wonderful you've found offbrand dark otome pieces. I'm sure you don't look like a joke. I do understand what you mean though. I hope you can find shorter MMM inspired pieces in the future from taobao.
That is definitely, and I forgot about how much an impact of a lifestyle lolita would be on someone who wasn't interested or didn't know of the fashion at all. That makes a lot of sense. I can see some people of other subcultures (take goth for example) may work well as a partner for a lifestyle lolita as they may be more accepting of it/appreciative of it and understand it a bit better whilst they may wear a different fashion. That is very real, it seems to be a common assumption that women dress a certain way and wear makeup etc for men. I have read a lot of early articles/interviews with japanese lolitas in the early 2000s and they mention similair things as it's quite empowering to dress so femininely and for them selves. I very much like Kamikaze girls and Momoko's appreciation of lolita. I also enjoy old school threads, I'm glad it makes you nostalgic. How long have you been wearing lolita for and where you interested in it for a while before wearing the fashion?
I know it is cliched but his stories are good.
>>
>>8695200
Yes, i'm 5'2 not that short nor tall but i dislike how too long jsk look on me the 80-88 cm length is the ideal one for my height, IW usually has slight longer pieces, i hope to find some that are shorter. ETC has really pretty items, ideal for daily, i love their country styled prints.
Thank you, i would like a old school revival for taobao/chinese companies as some years ago, having a closet full of prints isn't of much use unless you do many pics, attend meets or other.
What do you think to slightly different couples in looks or hobbies? Like, your partner is goth and you dress in sweet... this usually puts off many people think you aren't a match for them lol, i had someone that was into dark fashions but not used to girls wearing kawaii fashions, the experience was better than expected. The clothing isn't all sometimes, you have to know more a person to see how she/he is really. Before lolita i was a tomboy, hated dresses and such. After discovering lolita and jfash, i want to wear only dresses and skirts because dressing feminine and not for the male gaze could be more empowering. I had a friend that hated lolita and girly jfash, i remember when she wanted to put me down for this or passive agressive insulting. Lolita had conquered back my confidence, frills aren't weak!
I was interested to Lolita six years ago, i started to dress more legit almost two years ago, before i was a big ita ehm...not milanoo lace monsters just lolita or almost lolita pieces worn wrong.
>>
>>8694858
Oh my god you moron weeb
>>
>>8695377
I understand, it's good that a lot of pieces are 80-88cm in length. I hope you can find shorter pieces too sometimes they make items which come in multiple lengths. I'm 5'8 so actually love IW long jsks as an IW jsk in the long or tall version of a jsk looks best on me as it hits just past my knees. I normally go for dresses over 92cm in length. I have not seen much of their country styled prints but it sounds very cute. It would be nice to see more daily lolitas.
Your welcome, that sounds very nice! I hope they do as well. I very much support and agree with that way of thinking now (I used to mainly own prints but have switched to solids, florals and a couple of prints).
I think it can work depending on personalities, communication, other potential overlapping interests and at least being supportive or understanding of hobbies even if they aren't interested themselves. I have witnessed similar instances of people being quite surprised and mention that they wouldn't be a good match/good couple. I am glad to hear that experience was better than expected. My boyfriend and I are sort of examples of this recent years, he is a punk and dresses that way (big jacket with badges, band shirts, tartan pants and boots) whilst I will be wearing lolita or in quite feminine attire dresses or skirts etc. That is very true. That's fantastic that you've found lolita to be so empowering! I'm really happy that you were able to stand up for yourself and feel more confident!
Wow that's quite a while anon, and everyone has to start somewhere, I'm just very happy you took the plunge and started to get more interested in it. I started being interested in lolita about 5 years ago but didn't start wearing it properly until about two years ago as well.
>>
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but I would like to gauge interest/get opinions and I figured this would be a great thread. Potentially I would like to do a lifestyle week (or long weekend) in spring. There is a beautiful isolated historical lakehouse I would rent out that sleeps 8 people, potentially more, and we would spend the week picking flowers, pressing flowers, going on nature walks, singing, reading, reciting poetry, learning to embroider, and just being beautiful maidens in general. Each person who comes would be in charge of a "lesson". Someone could teach embroidery, someone could train us all on tea etiquette, etc. The whole week, including food and craft money would be about $200-$250/person. Is this something you would attend? It would be on the East Coast. I plan to make a cute apron for each person and then we could practice our embroidery on those. So many fun ideas I want to share with others!
>>
>>8697082
That sounds really amazing, but I worry about going to something so intimate without knowing anyone... Maybe something smaller at first, over a weekend, to get to know people? Maybe a panel or event at a con?
>>
>>8697167
What would a panel like that even be? Ive wanted to do something different other then my usual lolita 101 and lolita gameshow panels i usially run, and a lifestyle panel sounds fun!
>>
>>8695384
Make your own fashion if you don't like this one's origins, senpai
>>
>>8697167
I thought the same thing but honestly I don't really know many people here that are into this. Most of the lolitas in my comm are weebs and I think this sort of thing would be "boring" to them. I want a meet where I don't have to talk about anime and gaming and cosplay and pop culture or whatever. Not that those things are bad, but I don't see a market for my event in my current comm...
>>
>>8697082

This sounds amazing- but as >>8697167
said, it might be a little weird with people I've never met before. The weekend to get to know each other first might be better, maybe instead of a con, stay for a night at a large, public bed and breakfast or fancy hotel and have afternoon tea and dinner and go shopping and stuff?
>>
>>8697184
Maybe something like, "Lifestyle Lolita Tea Party" or "Lifestyle Lolita Embroidery Lesson" or something like that?

>>8697610
Man, I feel you, my comm has a lot of (well-dressed) weebs, and I don't really watch much anime so when they go on talking about whatever new anime they're watching I have nothing to contribute to the conversation haha

>>8697662
Yeah, instead of a week-long thing maybe do like... a mini lifestyler con? (Well, you could market it that way, anyway) The lakehouse sounds beautiful, but too intimate to begin with... I really like the idea of a bed and breakfast, cute inn, or fancy hotel... that way there's at least a little more privacy before everyone really knows each other, and again maybe just make it a weekend thing so it's not as big of a time/money commitment.

That being said, I am totally interested in actually participating/helping to host such an event, although I'm on the west coast USA and I have no idea where everyone else is...
>>
>>8697964

>>8697662 here, I'm mid-East Coast. I'd help, although to be honest I'm more Elegant Sweet/Classic Aristocraft than straight up Lolita, if that's all right- I do have a Lolita coord or two though if necessary.
>>
>>8697082
In a perfect world, I would be able to go to an event like this! But it sounds like a pipe dream, sadly. AHH, my local comm only meets in anime conventions and my friends are party animals... why.
>>
>>8697964
I think the idea of a weekend first is really great, especially somewhere with private rooms for all the guests. I will have to look into that. The reason I chose the lakehouse is because it's historic and beautiful and a week there is cheaper than 2 nights elsewhere, which is insane. It's also really close to a historic town with museums and graveyards, etc.

>>8698121
I would love the help! And I am certainly more of a person who dresses in romantic/victorian daily wear with lolita sprinkled in for meets and such. You would be more then welcome!

>>8698337
You have to get here somehow! It would be such a great time!
>>
>>8699315

>>8697662 >>8698121 here again. I made a throwaway email and put it in the name field if you'd like to contact me to plan this further or just talk about ideas.
>>
>>8696847
I'm just 5'2 and long stuff look very off in my body, sigh.I don't see much the casual lolita side at CoF, tumblr, just busy coords, that not always mean perfect or good, some coords look still off with a ton of items, while a simple coord is way easier and you can look good with not much effort if you did it right. Otome is a very nice style, another one i love is Larme, very pastel like with some black or dark motifs sometimes but it's very delicate, not an explosion of cuteness or edginess just more classy/sweet and more mature without being boring. I have switched to solids/simple patterns temporarily ( I bought a To Alice cross jsk!!), i need casual items for daily, going to do groceries with AP item isn't the best lol, i did it (as a non lolita coord) it looked off lol, better to get plain items that are useful for non lolita outfits. I plan to wear these items for daily not lolita more otome (petti gives me nerves if i wear it for too long lol and yes lolita shoes are too stiff). I saw many seeming matching couples crash and burn because there is some incompability or one of them isn't for relationships (cheats a lot, abusive, etc). Ohh your bf sounds awesome and also the little contrast between him and you, i love the same mechanism in a relationship!I'm interested in guys with a slight darker and not so sweet look compared to mine, i love edgy haircuts or plain mid/long haired guys with big boots and band/zombie/whatever tees.
Thank you anon, lolita is like a godsend, it's like a part of me even if i don't wear full lolita often just for pics and friends meets. I try to lifestyle a bit and wear more lolita in future.
>>
This is >>8697964
I'm kind of curious about the demographics in this thread, now. Where are people from and what age? It'd be nice to have a FB comm or something where we can discuss lifestyle stuff, too, or potential events. Did anyone end up making one from the last thread? (If not, I'll totally make one.)
>>
>>8693046
...I like smoking in my bodyline... I also smoke in cutesy off brand taobao stuff.
>>
>>8680029
The manga is much more refined and beautiful than the anime, but both are watch discovering.
>>
I kind of switched from the "cute girl baking and having a doll collection" to the "adult drinking fine wine and going to the opera" lifestyle. Even though I can't wear lolita most of the time because of work/health reason, it's definitely linked to lifestyle lolita to me. I anything I like the lifestyle of a bold young widow in the XIXth : able to travel, allowed to be curious and instructed, making decisions by herself yet still proper, neatly dressed and amateur of fine things.
>>
bumping this thread because we're getting emotional in the "Remember when" one

I have been fixing buttons and random stuff on brand, that I have meant to do for years and I just feel so damn lolita right now.
>>
>>8702071
I think I'm going the other way, l baked a pie for the first time last week whilst marathonning Sense and Sensibility.
I'm still a prudish alcoholic in my heart, though.
The bold young widow lifestyle sounds pretty baller.
>>
>>8702053
And the light novel is much better. The writer actually won literary prices with other works of her.
>>
>>8705145
I did the exact same thing last night, fixed buttons on JSKs while listening to Ali Project and drinking tea. I haven't felt so inspired in a very long while!
>>
Anyone else excited for the War and Peace miniseries coming to BBC? It looks pretty fab.
>>
>>8680635
WTF kind of girls school did you go to? The school I went to was anything but gross, we just all tried to out girl each other to gain popularity.
>>
>>8679986
>TFW you want to see the new Pride and Prejudice movie just for the zombies
>>
>>8679926
I would add Belle too
>>
>>8706547
Oh man, I haven't seen that! I wanted to see it when it came out, but somehow things kept coming up. I definitely want to! Adding it to my list!
>>
>>8679926
I suggest adding Miss Potter to the list as well.
>>
maybe this goes in the feels thread but
>got a dream print in the mail last week, wore it in a coord for the first time today
>fits like a dream
>wore out to lunch/errands
>came home and found a new classical music playlist that I really dig
>made tea with perfect milk/sugar ratio
>picked up a book on Greek mythology I thought I'd lost
>feels good
>>
Are there any sports you would consider suiting lifestyle lolita?
>>
>>8714482
Croquet maybe?
>>
>>8714484
I really like croquet. I have not played in years but had played as a child with my family.
>>
That's understandable anon, not every length worked for everyone. I don't see it either sadly and you are right busy or big coords can still look off. I miss LJ and the daily lolita posts there were often much more casual coord photos.I like the old school revival at the moment, and the fb groups associated with it. A lot of these coords are simpler. Larme looks very beautiful! I have not looked much into it but it does seem to have a gentleness about it. I'm glad you've been focusing on more simpler daily wear pieces. I know what you mean grocery shopping with petti and everything can be a bit too much at times. Congratulations on the To Alice Cross jsk I have heard wonderful things about them. Otome does seem like a wonderful option when lolita isn't appropriate/too much. May I ask what you do anon? Do you study or work or both? Yes that's very right which is sad sometimes and sometimes when people are too similar they clash or notice their flaws in others. Relationships can be quite complicated. Thank you very much, I really enjoy his company and all of his differences. He's introduced me to a lot of things I would not have sought for myself and vice versa. It's also very interesting hearing different opinions and views on things. Even though he looks tough and likes dark,edgier things he is also a softy. I hope you can find your contrasting boyfriend and I hope he's kind and understanding of your tastes and hobbies. I love seeing guys with interesting haircuts most don't in my town. Your welcome anon, I'm very glad you found it. It seems that for quite a lot of people they feel this way about Lolita which is really special. That's beautiful anon and I hope you have many chances to wear lolita more in the future.
>>
>>8714534
This reply was for you sorry >>8700296
>>
>>8714494
Oh I like it, too, and badminton! Those more "gentle" sports that can be played in dresses...
>>
>>8714884
I think it's lovely there are some gentle sports. You are very right anon badmitton and croquet can be played in dresses, it looks like the girl on the left in this >>8714482 is wearing IW.
>>
>>8714482
Lawn bowls, petanque, swimming (since you can get cute frilly swimwear), cycling (more like...cycling around a lake in France on a cute bicycle rather than training for the Tour de France on a road cycle, although you probably don't want to wear your more expensive or delicate dresses)...generally female dominated sports that are thought to be "girly" are probably fair game as well, like rhythmic and artistic gymnastics.
>>
>>8714482
Horse riding. You can't wear lolita, but you do get some awesome uniforms for it. Also, side saddle habits would really appeal to classic lolitas.
>>
File: tumblr_ndy21yFsfg1twoeuzo4_1280.jpg (395 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndy21yFsfg1twoeuzo4_1280.jpg
395 KB, 960x1280
>>8714534
Thank you a lot anon!This post was really good to read!I miss the daily lolita LJ as well, also the older AP style with old school,solid creative dresses and prints without golden/chiffon details like Dreamy Dollhouse or the polkadot items.I love cutsews as well, i have 2 from AP and other two from Bodyline, wish people would wear them again they are so cute and casual at the same time. I'm still at university, hoping to graduate next year, i sell also items on Storenvy and sometimes handmade jewellry with polymer clay, i'm learning to use resin. Thing is... most people notice the negative instead of the positive. I see many going for the "someone that is like me" shallow-y like same music, same shows but their personalities are a big mess, they aren't a real match after all. Someone that is a bit different from us could be better matching even if we didn't go for him or her just for petty things but they were attracted each other. I learned this before, never judge a book by its cover! I'm glad you had a very good compromise with your bf, most people don't do it and they go for someone else because they don't work enough to understand differences and accept them rather than feeling disappointed. In my town there are few times guys with interesting haircuts but i love longer hair in guys, short short isn't my taste!I wonder if in the past old days of Lolita, people were more into lifestyle and also choosing the best "ouji" to match them. Or also nowadays is the same?
Have a cute coord, here how i would like my sweet lolita. Minus the bunny ears and simpler socks i would wear as casual. Busy coords aren't always stunning.
>>
>>8716170
Your welcome anon, I like reading your posts too. I'm sorry there was a delay in replying, I had exams. I hope you have been well.I like that style of AP the prints are not quite my taste but the polka dots and solids are!
Cutsews are good too anon! I'm glad you have a few. I have two but I don't wear them often. I would like to get some more one day. I think they suit a wide range of people and styles too! Definetly more casual. What do you study at university? It's excellent you are so close to finishing! That's wonderful you sell on storeenvy and also make jewellery. Is your jewellery lolita inspired? Good luck learning to use resin, I hope it goes well. I'm also studying at university but have a few years before I'm finished. University has finished up for the year now. I also work at a department store that focuses on fashion/designer fashion. Oh that is very true anon. Perhaps it is because someone's personality or true personality may not be revealed for some time whilst you can learn about someone's tastes very quickly. There are probably many reasons. Very true anon! It's very surprising how different people can be to the way they look or seem. Thank you kindly anon. Compromise and communication is good. Aww it's a shame there aren't many guys with interesting hair cuts in your town. Interesting is always nice to see. That would be very interesting to find out. Maybe there might be some information out there? In some old school photos there are couples maybe that might provide some insight... I'm not sure about nowadays. A lot of my lolita friends have partners who do not wear the fashion but either like it or aren't against. It is a cute coord! That's a nice look and I like plainer socks too.
>>
>>8716702
I accidentally didn't attach the photo. This is the image that always comes to mind when thinking about lolita (+aristo or ouji) couples.
>>
....Ouji here, kinda? I guess my style is a ouji at meets and such, public school boy from the 60's at home. Idk about boystyle, but would you guys accept a boystyler?
>>
>>8716710
I've always loved this photo. To me, it's fairly iconic as a representation of aristocrat and classic/gothic lolita. It's not loud and ott, and loks like clothes rather than a costume. About the loudest part is the aristo's contacts.
>>
File: japan.jpg (99 KB, 1000x276) Image search: [Google]
japan.jpg
99 KB, 1000x276
Do you watch non-lolita-related anime?

Do you watch non-lolita-related Japanese movies and drama series?

Are you a fan of non-lolita-related Japanese culture, such as trains, sushi, samurai, and ramen?

Would you like to travel to or live in Japan?

Can you speak basic Japanese?
>>
>>8716993
You've got me there, I'm a secret train otaku.
>>
>>8716769

Well it's not like there's a Lifestyler Hivemind, so obviously I can't speak for everyone, but at the very least, I think it'd be really cool to have a Lifestyler Ouji at meets/in a comm.
>>
>>8716993
>Do you watch non-lolita-related anime?
I watch a lot of anime. I'm one of those people that watches many new animes every season. It's never really bled over into my lolita somehow.
>Do you watch non-lolita-related Japanese movies and drama series?
I'm really into foreign films in general. For Japan, I really enjoy their horror movie genre the most.
>Are you a fan of non-lolita-related Japanese culture, such as trains, sushi, samurai, and ramen?
Kind of. I like Japan kind of as a whole and find it very unique, everything from their fashion scene to some of their foods, which probably made me drawn to it originally. I wouldn't call myself a Japanophile despite my interests, though. I like those things, but I like my own culture and background. I guess that's why I like lolita. It has a lot of European influence.
>Would you like to travel to or live in Japan?
I'd like to live there someday, but I don't think I could stay there my whole life. I'd just be lying to myself if I said I only wanted to do a short trip. Maybe a few years. I'd mostly like to be a traveler in general.
>Can you speak basic Japanese?
Writing is basic, spoken Japanese is pretty broken, but I can understand Japanese really well when spoken from a native speaker.
>>
>>8716993
Yes but I'm as likely to watch a movie or live action tv series. I'm not 'into anime', I pick and choose shows and series by my interests.
I've been to a Kurosawa film festival. I've read some translated books of Japanese authors, I like that better.
>Are you a fan of non-lolita-related Japanese culture, such as trains, sushi, samurai, and ramen?
I've taught a sushi class, won a prize for haiku and can dress myself properly in wafuku.
I'd love to visit but no desire to live there.
No, just greetings, please and thank you. I'm ok at translating though and quick enough at it to hold a basic online typed/pasted conversation or order/use a website with forms and navigation in Japanese.

What are these questions for, what purpose?
>>
>>8716993
>Do you watch non-lolita-related anime? Some of the anime I watch is related to other JFashions (Ai Yazawa's works, Kugarehime) although I also like a few non fashion related animes.
Yes a few Japanese movies.
Yes although not specifically what you've mentioned although I do like sushi and shinaksen. I also love how every different station for JR Rail has it's own musical jingle. I like other traditional Japanese culture.
I have visited Japan a few years ago and truly enjoyed it. I would really like to return to Japan. I would not want to live there long term but I would love the opportunity to experience living there for a year or so.
I've forgotten most of the basic Japanese I had learnt but remember some and have considered studying it again.
>>
desu i'm into comedy. shit like kill la kill and the devil is a part timer is more my thing anyway.

japanese horror movies > all other horror movies, so for those at least, yes.

love sushi, i loved ramen but i found out i'm gluten intolerant so i have to find places that use rice noodles which is surprisingly hard. i very much like japanese folklore. and i'm also a huge fag for jrpgs.

i'd love to travel there, but i don't think i'd enjoy living there as much; the language barrier is a lot.

can't speak a word of it. i can read it kind of okay.
>>
File: 1437978883692.jpg (153 KB, 900x613) Image search: [Google]
1437978883692.jpg
153 KB, 900x613
>>8717275
Aight, I'll try my hand at this.

Studying hard and playing appropriate sports,
Reading interesting books. Drawing and visiting places that embody the aesthetic, keeping up to date with scout manual of choice.

Reading books about enclosed spaces, or period shenanigans. I like boarding school novels, but I also like university stories like Brideshead Revisited(well, half of it). Lord Of The Flies counts, too. Playing football or cricket, trying to strive for some form of athleticism to keep my body in good form. Finding period cafes to sit and work in.

I already wear cardigans and formal pants 24/7! But I want to publish books and comics and be an established author that represents the aesthetic well. I'd also like to join a scout troop soon as a ranger/rover.
>>
File: tumblr_lm2jxajTUj1qe0ygqo1_500.png (438 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lm2jxajTUj1qe0ygqo1_500.png
438 KB, 480x640
>>8717536
Of course, but I prefer the kind with frilly dresses and tonnes of drama, like in the old days. Rose of Versailles <3 Though the most related to my style is probably old shounen-ai, like Kaze to Ki no uta, The Heart of Thomas, and marginally Orpheus' Window.

Yeah, I have watched some drama in the past. Japanese movies are like all other movies, they have to be good to be fun. Shitty Schlock movies are always fun.

Yes! I'm very interested in Japanese history, traditional culture, and folk music. Also cooking. I'm probably just weaboo who grew up..

DUH. At least travel there for a month or so, I'm not sure if I'd ever want to live there. Society seems so rigid.

Enough to get around, be understood, and read old manga.
>>
>>8716993
Yes, I like the weird stuff like paranoia agent or comedy like dmc, nichijou, nozaki kun. It rarely comes out but I also love horror stuff.

My j drama choices tend to center around manga generally out of morbid curiosity, or if something was super popular I'll give it a go. mirrai nikki was actually pretty good, akagi was interesting, dr. coto's clinic is superb.

Yes I love wabi sabi culture and the way plants are treated, the heavy use of moss at the base of potted plants, a feeling of letting nature take its course and the appreciation in the aged.

Wellll, if I had a freelance job lined up before I went so that I didn't have to work in an office and just telecommuted from my apartment it'd be more tempting, maybe for a year. I've been twice, 2 weeks in tokyo and before that a 3 week trip with a rail pass from Tokyo to the very southern tip with stops along the way, it was easily the best trip of my life so far, I put a lot of work into planning it out and it really paid off. I actually wasn't too thrilled with Tokyo, it was fun because shopping but I hated the noise and bustle, and I longed for nature, staying in roppongi probly didn't help, but the countryside trip was fantastic.

Yes, it's gotten very rusty over time but it's a godsend for trawling auction sites.
>>
>>8717539
what series is the pic from (if any)? i did a reverse image search but nothing came up.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.