[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NZ Thread! Auckland Armageddon isn't that far off now, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 93
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 278x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 278x372
NZ Thread! Auckland Armageddon isn't that far off now, and Overload was last week. What u thinking about?
>>
What do people think about the new Cosplay comp rules for Auckland? I can see a massive drop in entries with forms being due in three weeks before. Also I don't really understand the need to have judging the day before if they're capping the number of entries allowed? I think like doing one or the other would have been enough, doing both feels like overkill.
>>
>>8639194
It sounded like the Wellington contest was very stressful behind the scenes so they have really doubled down for Auckland.
>>
>What u thinking about?
Reika and WCS
>>
>>8639361
It would be crazy if Overload managed to have WCS prelims or something
>>
>>8639194
I think the rules changes are good.
In all honesty, if people can't type up their form 3 weeks in advance then maybe they're just not commited enough to be entering. The competitions are getting higher and higher in scale, and I feel like if they can weed out the people who tend to drop out, it's a good move.
As for judging the day before, I don't personally like it, but having to pick winners in a less judged environment means the best can be chosen.
>>
>>8639476
*rushed not judged.
Getting a little sleepy here.
>>
>>8639476
Agreed
>>
>>8639476
I remember years ago (probably still happens) so many people would talk about what they were going to make for the comp less than a month before it that they hadn't even started haha.

I do agree with the deadline for forms being needed more in advance, but I feel like skits should be allowed to be added on a week or two later. I can see a massive drop in entries for skits this Auckland.
>>
>>8639476
I don't like the 2 day judging either and feel like it will cut out a lot of people who won't want to wear uncomfortable armour or big costumes 2 days in a row. Not being able to piss or sit down is okay for one day, 2 days is pushing it.
>>
>>8639194
It'll be interesting to see how it goes. But given the new judge who hasn't judged such a big competition before it might end up being a blessing? Or at least this year will be a try out year in multiple ways; they're kind of starting from the beginning again so need time to work things out.
>>
>>8640909
I really hope everyone is nice to her. Sophia is a doll.
>>
>>8641044
I also hope she doesn't end up like Michella
>>
>>8641535
Meaning?
>>
>>8641679
Stressed out
>>
>>8641684
Stressed? Not really. At least not the way people would read that. I loved the hard work. However being undermined constantly and being repeatedly dismissed is crushing after a few years.
>>
>>8639194

Shit, tbh.

Needing 2 days, limiting it to 30 entries, and a cut off date 3 weeks ahead? Doesn't speak well for good organisation and time management
>>
>>8642761
Really? I'd say all those things would make the judging process more robust. The early cutoff date gives them time to make sure things are sorted out, and the 3 weeks/2 days gives more time to read over the forms. Like other anon mentioned, they don't want a repeat of this year's wellygeddon.
>>
>>8642792

I can understand pushing out the entry date somewhat, since it was clear that they were under prepared for Welly, but 3 weeks is getting ridiculous. Especially considering they've also limited the entries and extended the competition time frame.

It tells me that there's no time management going on - a full day is more than enough time to judge 30 entries + prize giving when proper planning is done. Nor should it take that long to plan time schedules, or pre judge.

If they were potentially dealing with a significantly higher number of entries, I could understand. But 30? Come on. Those 3 things in combination don't really inspire confidence (and that's reinforced by the disorganisation of the contest webpage)
>>
>>8642761
>>8642899
Salty.
We have a new judge who needs to be set up and prepared for her first time judging one of the larger cosplay contests in New Zealand. I say thank god all these changes are in place.
The rules will probably change over time but there's no need to be yelling profanities over it.
It's not really disorganization on the judges part, it's just armageddon being as unhelpful as possible ...as usual.
>>
>>8642967
And it's definitely not the only competition to have these rules.
Think you can start a comp cosplay a month before and still enter it? That's on you. I've seen it time and time again. People need to learn to get organized.
Yeah there's some disorganisation on the judges part, however if you don't see these rules as a good thing, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
The Auckland Mandalorians are attending Armageddon across all 4 days. We also attended Costumefest/Aethercon, it was okay.
>>
>>8643514
Ah so you were Star Wars cosplayers?
I saw you guys, pretty cool but I had no idea what you were.
>>
Who is entering Auckland? I feel like I haven't seen anybody posting about it at all
>>
>>8643767
Curious about this also.
>>
>>8643767
I want to (I really like entering at Auckland) but october/november is hell at work for me so I've come to realise entering at Auckland isn't gunna happen for me anymore.
>>
>>8642899
>a full day is more than enough time to judge 30 entries + prize giving when proper planning is done
Yeah, more than enough time to have a really shit day... you need to remember the cosplay judge/s are volunteers that are part of the community, and maybe they want to have some time to enjoy themselves at the event as well...
>>
>>8643972
Agreed
>>
>>8643972
If they live in the city it's hosted in the only payoff the get is entry to the event and cocktail party. That's in return for 8 hours work with no break on judging/presentation day, not to mention the easily 40+ hours of work per con collating the entry forms, getting the skits usable, responding to emails, dealing with shitty people who don't understand that yes they do have to follow the rules like everyone else etc.

They get flights/accom paid for out of town cons (assuming that hasn't changed for new judges) but even that was something M had to fight for. For years A had to pay her own way so she could help M as it's not a 1 person job and you need a helper who knows their shit rather than a random you have to train up every time. Things are a lot better now than they used to be but it's a hell of a hard job for little return.
>>
>>8644538
(By which I mean given that it's a big job for little return I don't blame them for trying to improve working conditions)
>>
>>8643972
How is splitting the competition over multiple days going to help give them more time to enjoy the con...?
>>
>>8644750
I don't know about you anon but I find getting a lunch break and not being stressed out of my mind because I have a 4.30 deadline makes any day more enjoyable.
>>
>>8645196
One day in a room all day followed by presentation vs one day in a room all day followed by another day of deciding on winners and presentation. I don't see how that gives them /more/ time to enjoy the con. A less stressful day though, sure maybe.
>>
>>8645616
I'm not a judge but I've been a helper so I assume it'd be more like judge in the room till you're through with everyone (a generous 10min per entry instead of the usual 5min x 30 = 5 hrs plus a 30min break, starting at 10.30 would take you to 4pm), then you have all evening to make your choices and write certificates, and the whole of Monday free to enjoy apart from the stage presentation.

Much better than:
>rushing through all the contestants which makes them feel like you didn't even look at them properly (common complaint though untrue)
>trying to decide who to award quickly because you have little time but you still need to be thorough because you don't want to miss someone (there are several times where people have been added as the room has been packed up to go to the stage!)
>then trying to research to make sure they haven't won with that costume before at another con (necessary in some cases)
>write the certificates and thank you notes
>track down the prizes to be awarded
>finish getting your own costume on/makeup done because being in costume yourself gives you credibility with the audience but that's a long time to be uncomfortable for when you're trying to work and you need free movement to examine people's costumes properly
> brief in the tech desk at the main stage so they don't fuck up the skits
All by 4pm because then you need to start wrangling contestants for the stage presentation.

There's a lot of work that goes into it that you don't seem to realise anon, it's not just looking at some costumes and deciding which ones deserve which award (which is also very challenging!) - the actual choosing is usually one of the most stressful parts because you need to get it right but you also have to get all this other shit done in the space of about 3 hours (and that's again with no break). Do you not remember all the times the stage preso started late? This is why, and is why this new system is at least worth trying.
>>
Sounds like some people don't have a clue how much work goes into running the contest :) Splitting it across two days is the best idea for everyone, trying to judge 30+ applicants in two hours is stressful, unfair on everyone involved, and really shit. As for the three week deadline: I love it. It gives the judges time to look over our forms properly, and if you haven't started by that time you're an idiot anyway. Do you guys not realise that it's NOT POSSIBLE to look over the piles of forms that come in THE NIGHT BEFORE the contest and still give everyone the same amount of attention? The judges are people, not machines, and people who constantly wait until the last second to submit their form are making it harder for everyone. At least this way the judges get some sleep.

Also soxy has judged a large contest before. She did Otaku Con/Akiba con last year and that was 26 entries. Geddon is only different because of the completely hands-off attitude by the organisers which makes everything so shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 320x200
Three weeks out is entirely reasonable, given the advanced notice we got. I know some people would be throwing their toys because they hate any sort of change. The real world is going to eat those babies alive.
>>
>>8646158
Adding to this (I'm >>8646110 ), two thirds of the entries for last year's Auckgeddon came in in the last 12 hours before deadline. Deadline was 10pm or midnight Wednesday (I forget which), which gave only thursday to respond to everyone, put together the judging order, print all the entries out and read them because Friday was spent packing & getting to accomodation. There are a few snatches of time outside of the con to read them (or the judge has to spend less time at the con so they can read them) but you worked your ass off on that costume, don't you want to give the judge to be able to thoroughly review your work?
>>
>>8646173
(diff anon)

ALSO holy shit you guys, you've known that the con was Labour Weekend since last year, organise your shit and don't expect the world to revolve around you and your lack of planning.
>>
>>8646178
Bless this post
>>
Soxy has just posted saying there are only 10 slots left for the comp so if you haven't got your form in yet you might want to crank it out asap to be safe.
>>
>>8647793
I'm kind of resigned on not getting a spot Oh well, there is always the waiting list
>>
>>8647983
There's still plenty of time if you organize yourself.
>>
I'd love to get back in to cosplaying, but only if I made something really ambitious. I don't really have the time or the space.
>>
>In NZ, it’s taken us at least 3 years for that to happen and I think it’s because people are almost to afraid to talk to anyone outside their little group
Ouch.
>>
>>8650761
Okay that is pretty shit. Like i understand her feelings and that's awful she got a lot of terrible messages, but that was a really negative interview....i know a lot of people (including myself) sent her really encouraging messages after wellygeddon, but no mention of the support at all, just the bad stuff? And yeah the community is kind of cliquey but no more so than anywhere else, we're a bunch of fucking nerds of course a lot of us are shy, but i guess being shy is a deliberate snub? And anyway, you can't always expect people to come to you, sometimes you have to be the one giving others a friendly reception... I like and respect her, but this does kind of feel like a punch in the face :(
>>
[spoiler]Which cosplayer would you bang?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Which character would they be dressed as?[/spoiler]
>>
>>8650761
Tbh I don't really know her personally but I can see where she's coming from. She's saying that it took a long time for NZ cosplayers to make her feel genuinely welcome in the community and that's understandable. She has a high profile in the community now but that doesn't automatically lead to being welcomed socially into a group.

Yes, most of us are shy and like to stick to the groups we know. Personally I'm also easily intimidated by skilled and/or foreign cosplayers and it definitely stops me from approaching and talking to them even though they are just nerds like the rest of us! And it's not hard to see how these attitudes are unwelcoming (and seem standoffish) to newcomers. We are also being compared to a very different - larger, more mature, American - con scene in the interview.

tl;dr She has the right to feel however she wants about the NZ cosplay comm because it was her experience. I doubt she was trying to offend or call out anyone, and was just being honest.
>>
>>8651276
And we are allowed to be honest about our feelings too.
>>
>>8651245
I remember in /cgl/ threads ages ago people were saying Kealy seemed kind of snobby and that she didn't talk to anyone, and she came into the thread saying she was shy. So it is a bit shit to see her turn around and say the same thing about other people!
>>
>>8650761
Don't you think you're making it even worse by posting on 4chan? A+
>>
>>8651755
I don't mean to sound like a white knight here, but just because someone is shy, doesn't mean that they didn't try to make friends with people. Plus 99% of people who complain about people snobbing them attempted to approach them when they were busy or in a rush. We've already gone through this.

If everyone could stop and a minute to reflect on the community instead of pointing fingers, I think we could learn from this.
>>
>>8652256
Agreed. Anyone being a salty bitch here like >>8651755 is just proving her point about the new zealand community.

Cmon guys, we're better than this - either take a good look at what you've been doing or move on.
>>
>>8652265
Why are you expecting civility on four chan?
>>
>>8650761
I've read this interview like 15 times trying to see what is getting people's panties in a bunch and I cannot see it. She's a nerd answering questions honestly, she's describing the community exactly the same way everyone else does, and isn't being mean or nasty - I'm pretty great at getting offended, but I cannot see how people are reading shit into this.

>>8651276
yes, exactly. And if you compare a party con to fuckin armageddon the difference is going to be even more noticeable.
>>
>>8652372
Where is this interview?
>>
>>8652293
This isn't /b/ or anything though, this is the NZ thread on /cgl/ where most if not all of the posters are people in the cosplay community. Are you new?
>>
>>8652515
It's still 4chan bro. Seems like you're the new one here.
>>
>>8652520
Still not fresher than your salty buttwounds, anon.
>>
>>8639194
>I can see a massive drop in entries with forms being due in three weeks before
Good, last minute entries are always trash anyway
>>
Who's all doing cosplay panels this year? I know a few people have cancelled their panels so I wonder if there'll even be any at this rate...
>>
>>8652542
It's true.
I always see the rushed entries thinking how much better they would be if more time was put in
>>
>>8652256
And that 99% includes Kealy.... unless you're saying everyone who snubbed Kealy was just a bitch, but whenever she snubbed anyone it was ok bc she's just shy. Anyway, whatever, Kealy's fine, and it was just a dinky interview, i hope her experience with the community gets better and i guess we can learn from it, there are definitely problems here (but generalisations are pretty harsh and not tactful imo, it really is worth it to be careful with what you say publically tbh), but let's also not carried away with double standards here about who can be shy or busy and who has to be friendly and open.
>>
What's the deal with Lily Sian/Lillybug cosplays? Everyone seems to hate her.
>>
She seems pretty sweet, maybe a little cosfame thirsty but she isn't the only one
>>
>>8653707
Someone posted her in >>8650546 hard to tell if it's vendetta or not. I'm not in the welly scene so idk what's up with her though.
>>
>>8653707
I personally don't know them but I've only heard many, many bad things. Wouldn't go there.
>>
>>8653707
She is a cringy weeb but the hate she gets is much nastier than anything she has ever done.
>>
>>8654894
Yeeeeeah no
>>
>>8654996
what has she done that was so bad?
>>
>>8654894
No, no, let me tell you one thing - The hate she gets is really, really deserved. If you think that the hate she is getting is nasty then you really, really do not know her. She has fucked over more people than I could ever imagine. I would recommend you stay away from them for your own safety. Literally.
>>
>>8654894
Please stop defending her, Anon. She doesn't deserve it.
>>
>>8655556
Examples then? (not neccessarily with names?)
I'm just wondering how someone could have screwed so many people over without it being common knowledge in this small community.
>>
>>8655636
The reason why you haven't heard about it is that her victims are too scared to speak out because of her abusive behaviour. This is coming from myself who is one of her friends. I feel like if I stop being her friend she will hurt me also. I don't want to say anything about other's experiences because it is not my place. People are scared of her.
>>
>>8655648
So basically he said/she said
Listen, you just can't just say someone is an abusive asshole without giving examples
>>
>>8655636
It sounds like you're not friends with the right people.
>>
>>8655652
I can, actually. If you made an attempt to ask around off of 4chan then maybe you'd find out.
>>
>>8655661
>make a serious allegation
>won't even back it up with the vaguest of examples
>>
>>8653707
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder-symptoms/
>>
>>8655653
>>8655661
Sorry, I haven't been around for long and I don't want to just fish for drama but I wouldn't know who to ask. I'm not really sure I want to think of someone as a dangerous bully to avoid without knowing what sort of things they do.
>>
>>8653707
Unfortunately I have witnessed her abusing people, sending anon hate to the point of the other person crying, laughing at other's cosplays and claiming that she can do it all better. She is controlling and will not let you even think about talking to people if she doesn't like them. There is more things that I could go into but I'd rather not. She needs professional help because she doesn't hear people trying to help her, she just likes to victimise herself and lie.
>>
>>8655701
>>8655701
She does seem weirdly competitive from my dealings with her, but I didn't realise it was that bad
>>
>>8655729
Yeah... it really is that bad
>>
>>8653707
All I know is that she posted Casey in the bad cosplay thread, but people could tell it was a vendetta. And she had a super cringey monologue skit last Auckgeddon.
>>
File: 1438379479490.jpg (13 KB, 129x211) Image search: [Google]
1438379479490.jpg
13 KB, 129x211
>>8655648
Ah, so it's all bullshit then.
>>
Hello fellow anon /cgls/ I've been out of the cosplay community for a few years now and after reading all this horrible behavior observed from someone whom I know also organizes events for others they sound like an exponentially heinous personality to have in a community where most of its inhabitants are shy, nervous and introverted. If i were living in Wellington I'd love to try help people who're struggling with that narcissistic hateful behaviour. I'm sorry to hear there's people out there who are 'friends' with someone whom they're afraid of. I've been there myself, anon. I'd love to tell you to just leave but I really understand thats difficult. I can tell you how good you feel once you achieve, though.
Sorry for the tl;dr but after I read this its really riled me up. As 'White-Night-y' as it sounds, I'd love to be given the chance to call them out on that sickening behaviour. As much as its worth; people talk (this is a great example) and people will hear. Hopefully someone can knock them down many a peg.
>>
just read my post and its so tl;dr sorry guys. got mad bro
>>
>>8655904
I agree with this so much. Great post.
>>
>>8655904
Okay Casey.
>>
File: 1437605498311.jpg (61 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1437605498311.jpg
61 KB, 640x640
>>8655904
>>
>>8655953
Nope. I may have a problem with her but I don't wish to sit and be anonymous about it, and I was never planning on posting unless I was brought up. If people want to talk to me you can do so elsewhere off anon.

>>8655735
I can confirm this was a thing, sadly.

On a more positive note, it's awesome to see such a high level of cosplay coming out of our community. Seriously in awe of the skills I'm seeing from you guys.
>>
>>8655953
Lmao I'm not Casey but thanks anon I can't sew for shit and last I checked Casey was in Wellington. I haven't been to Wellington years.
>>
>>8655960
M'lady
>>
>>8655960
This is pretty cute if you ignore the annoying as fuck meme.
>>
>>8655648
I really don't understand this mentality. Why are you 'friends' with someone you don't like? And in what way is she supposedly going to hurt you?
>>
>>8656897
Why don't you understand it? If you're friends with someone who laughs about how they've hurt ex-friends the immediate thought is 'oh god, will they do this to me?' So you stick around. It's simple.
>>
>>8657161
All we've heard so far is she sends anon hate. Turn off anon. Boom. Its not hard to cut people out of your life if you don't want them around.
>>
>>8657345
Did you even read >>8655701 properly? It says much more than just that.
>>
>>8657345
Victim blaming much? It's not a matter of the victim doing something about it, the offender should be fixing their fucked up behaviour instead.
>>
>>8657358
That's the only thing they've said that seema like it would affect you if you stopped interacting with this girl.
Anon hate is kind of pathetic but I'm not understanding why people are saying they're afraid of her.
>>
>>8658186
Can you please learn to read anon?
- emotional and physically abusing people
- sending anon hate and admitting to it and laughing
- Laughing at other people cosplays then making the same ones out of spite in an attempt to make it 'better'
- Will abuse you if you try to talk to people they dont like
- Victimizing herself
- compulsive lying

Is that not enough for you? Why are you defending them? I'm starting to think you're just lilly and being pathetic again. I can tell you that that person's post above was putting it lightly.
>>
File: 1439809199444.jpg (56 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
1439809199444.jpg
56 KB, 500x499
You guys need to hash this shit out in real life or at least keep it the fuck off of here since this stuff shits up damn near every thread it's in.
>>
>>8658336
Yeah because we are so good as a community at sorting out our drama in real life.
>>
>tfw then's drama and you're just sitting here like 'who the fuck is this person, i've never heard of them before'
>>
>>8658991
That's because they think they're more important than they are.
>>
>>8658991
>>8659030
Hahaha basically half of NZ's cosplay community.
>>
>>8659050
BURN UNIT
>>
What're you looking forward to most at Auckland? What're you dreading?
>>
>>8659521
>dreading
getting my god damn costumes done
>looking forward to
i've been looking over the schedules and there doesn't really seem to be that much going on? It's nice that the kamehameha contest is back though, i don't think they did one for welly
>>
>>8659525
>dreading
The crowds, getting everything done
>Panels,the contest, seeing people, getting tanked at the ball
>>
>>8659521
I wish I was going to AuckGeddon just for the quiz, I've always wanted to go to a pub quiz or something. Was always my favourite part of the cosplay games too.
>>
>>8659655
They had a pub one at Wellington (in a pub) that was really fun
>>
>>8659676
I really wanted to go to that but I didn't have a team haha.
>>
>>8659521
>looking forward to most at Auckland?
Seeing my friends again and dressing up. I don't enjoy Armageddon all that much/
>What're you dreading?
The upcoming week and a half of trying to finish my shit instead of crying on the floor.
>>
>>8659521
Checking out that girl who was Ms. Marvel last time. Mmm.
>>
>>8660280
Get it gurl
>>
>>8659525
I'm never doing another panel at geddon again, it's not worth it. The organisers are uncommunicative dicks and for all the running around you have to do on top of actually presenting your panel, it just makes for a really shit time.
>>
>>8662194
Which is a shame because the cos panels are the highlight of the con for me.

I'm most looking forward to the anniversary party and the quiz thing on Monday (as well as watching the comp of course). Honestly other than that stuff though I'm kinda wondering why I'm going this year...

Dreading the crowds and the stressful week leading up to the con.
>>
i am so impressed with the contest organisation so far, they even have adorable mascots
>>
There's apparently only 23 entries for the cosplay comp, wonder why there's been such a massive drop.
>>
>>8667576
Three week deadline and Wellington being more cosplay focused with the guests I'm guessing
>>
>>8667668
I'd bet it was the timeframe and the limited number of slots - newbies would find it off putting if they didn't feel sure in their abilities I reckon.

I'm quite curious about the what the extra support from Matsuri entails.
>>
Wait... Kealy isn't judging the geddon comps anymore? Or just Auck? Can someone bring me up to speed?
>>
>>8668404
She's now a flight attendant for air NZ.
>>
>>8668416
Which means she can't for scheduling reasons. Good on her man, it's a tough job to get into.
>>
Last weekend before the con. How stressed out are you right now and why?
>>
>>8669939
Stressed because the weekend went too fast
>>
>>8674052
Four more days of torture and then you can relax and drink.
>>
>>8667576
The deadline I think. Lazy fuckin cosplayers who can't sort their shit out in time lol
>>
>>8676057
And ones with multiple jobs, schooling, children, random emergencies. Dress ups isn't everyone's main priority
>>
>>8676057
Also knowing the dewildes are just going to clean up
>>
>>8676110
The deadline has been public knowledge for months and this convention happens at the same time every year. Yeah, shit happens, but not to everyone. Point stands.
>>
>>8676701
Your tone seems pointed
>>
>>8676119
I'm so jealous of them for having a family like they do but I hate them for having a family like they do.
>>
>>8676728
>"point stands"

well, yeah? obvs?
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 384x382) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 384x382
>>8677750
I found a book for you friend
>>
>>8643749

Yep. And that's okay, some people do and others don't.
>>
Kyle Simspon got sponsored by Microsoft according to him
>>
>>8679887
Hot Glue Heroes most likely, which includes Da Frontline Trooper who's always involved with microsoft. So no surprises there. I doubt Kyle could get sponsored on his own
>>
>>8680135
That makes sense
>>
>>8655701
Didn't she try steal someone's boyfriend too? She got creepily obsessed with one cos couple and was real upset they were together
>>
I wish cosplay guests would get invited to auckland. It's such a huge show, it makes sense to have them up here as well as welly. Also they might not freeze
>>
>>8680135
Ah yes. Props Jesus. His flock of adoring fans awaits.
>>
>>8680380
Which couple? ngl that's pretty juicy, but I've never heard about it.
>>
Well shit, I only have one costume because I ran out of supplies.

At least it isn't the same thing I was wearing at the last 2 geddons.
>>
How was the first night?
>>
never forget
>>
>>8681391
I heard this, not my place to talk about that though
>>
Please tell me there are photos of the suicide squad Harley Quinn with that awesome ass. Made me thirsty.
>>
>>8683511
Which one? There where like five
>>
>>8683519
There was one with an ass that would not quit and hung outta those booty shorts. Put the rest of the Harleys to shame. Girl was very cute.
>>
adnijndinsugnuhsfnhus KAROOOOOO
>>
hope some people upload their photos soon
>>
Armageddon feels so terrible compared to 7 or 8 years ago, when it was at that convention center in the city by Aoetea Square. Much more commercialized and appealing to a wider audience whereas before it felt like a more traditional con.
>>
>>8683577
Dude it was terrible then too. At least theres a ton of hot nerd ass and more shit.
>>
>>8683582
Maybe its nostalgia goggles then, I don't know. Last time I went was 2012 with a friend and it wasn't so great. Even just looking at the advertising now it seems like they're trying to draw in as many people from any demographic as possible.
>>
>>8683610
>Even just looking at the advertising now it seems like they're trying to draw in as many people from any demographic as possible.

Agreed.
>>
>>8683611
>>8683610
It's a business, they're going to try and make as much money as possible.
>>
>>8683577
Remember when people showed off their in-development video games? And the deviantArt stall was good? And you could leave the Aotea center and eat somewhere else? And pose outside in your costume for the casual people, because it was Queen Street?

Man, good times. Goood times.
>>
>>8683666
It's bill, he's going to try make as much money as possible. He should at least be able to afford dry cleaning that fucking cosplay by now.
>>
I was pretty surprised to see a stall selling alcohol. Why not just have some strip club have a stall with the girls dressed in cosplaying, that would make money too.
>>
>>8684808
You.... how new are you? That stall has been there for years?
>unless that's b8
>>
>>8684808
Man I love the alcohol stand, the staff are really knowledgeable and you can't get any of their stuff easily elsewhere.
>>
>>8684827
I haven't been to armageddon in years, i used to go back when it was at aotea center.
>>
>>8684808
Literally the only stall I bought anything from at WellyGeddon this year. Wish I was going to Auck just so I could get more stuff from there.
>>
>>8684808
Wow, someone's new. The stall has drinks that are hard to find for good prices and with a lot of the audience bring over 18, which I assume you aren't, it'd be very missed if it left.
>>
>>8684808
Oh fuck off. Why shouldn't there be an alcohol stall? Its the only stall at the con that doesn't sell overpriced trash or bootlegs anyway
>>
>>8684808
This is an 18+ site
>>
>>8683577
It was pretty commercialized then too bro. You're just misremembering. But then why shouldn't it be? Its a business.
>>
>>8683577
Thats because anime, comics and sci-fi were far, far more niche 8 years ago. Cons are mainstream now.
>>
>>8684891

>bootleg stuff

I used to save up literally hundreds to spend at Armageddon until I realised every year it was the same bootleg shitty plushies at every stall.
>>
>>8684910
Wellygeddon was nothing but Minions and One Piece bootlegs. :(

And the same fucking people buy 12 stalls around the con and force the cost up for anyone else wanting to get a stall for business.
>>
>>8684956
I'm pretty sure this is the case with the T-shirt stands, at least at the Auckland one it seemed.
>>
Final verdict on the con?
>>
Where do I find all the cosplay photos? Seen a few on facebook, but not too many
>>
>>8686410
There's a photo thread on cnz people are linking their albums to.
>>
>>8686351
more like final verdict on the contest.

Did the new rules workout? How do you think it affected the people who entered/newbies? Enough new blood? etcetc
>>
>>8687173
Maybe I'm just bad at faces but it felt almost entirely new blood. Not a bad thing by any means, but I was surprised how few Open entries there were.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (26 KB, 479x96) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
26 KB, 479x96
Fuck the whiny people who lead others to have mentality. It's not your fault your good & winning, other people just need to suck it up and get good.
>>
File: wtfdude.jpg (13 KB, 485x48) Image search: [Google]
wtfdude.jpg
13 KB, 485x48
Meanwhile on cnz facebook
>>
>>8687445
Was it just me or was the b.o. this year stronger than usual
>>
>>8687332
I'm so mad about this. If you want to win a contest you need to up your own goddamn game, not rely on other people letting you. The de wildes are amazing, but they're not robots and they win because they work for it. Other people should try doing the same.
>>
>>8687173
I think it went really well! It seemed really chill, if there were problems behind the scenes it definitely didn't show.
>>
I was a contestant and I think it was great, very thorough judging, but relaxing and friendly too. A+ would do again
>>
>>8687173
I think it was run pretty smoothly, there just weren't many contestants, let alone comp regulars. It's made me really keen to enter comp next year though.
>>
>>8687638
Pretty much! Was giving me flashbacks to the 'there should be a beginners section, novice is 2 hard' and 'if you win BiS at one event you shouldn't be allowed to enter any others' bullshit threads from a while ago.
Seems like people think everyone should get a participation award or something these days ugh.
>>
>>8687445
Disgusting. Cons are even more reason to make sure you shower at least once daily because of the stuffiness and body heat from others.
>>
>>8687883
I've been talking with people about this a lot over the last few days and it bugs the shit out of me that people seem way more determined to bitch about other people winning than actually improving. If you cosplay for fun that's one thing, but if you're actually entering contests then don't be such a little bitch. And if you're NOT entering contests...shut up?? about contests???
>>
>>8687906
Who is bitching about it? Contestants or just randoms?
>>
>>8687681
After seeing how good of a job she did of judging, I'm going to be entering again next year after swearing off Armageddon contests because of the judge situation.
>>
>>8688093
Same here! I didn't want to support the organizers after everything went on, but I feel like my faith has been restored a bit.
>>
>>8687906
This is weird. As someone who entered, I think the winners were awesome.some people need to pull their heads out of theirs asses.
>>
The judging was excellent and I absolutely loved having the judging the day before the stage stuff. Took the pressure way off! My only complaint is that I feel like there were less entries, and it was likely due to the 3 week cut off, bit I also understand why that's very necessary sthis is really more of an observation than a complaint.
>>
Favourite cosplays from the weekend? One of mine would be Elishia's ballet skit
>>
>>8688727
I saw the need to limit entries after Wellington but I felt Auckland had slightly too few. I think it was 23 out of 30 available slots, so probably was the three week deadline but I wonder if even 35 would be a better number. People will get better at the three week deadline as more cons pass though, they just need time.

>>8688885
Fave skit would definitely be the Skull Kid one in the comp (though the other one they did in the skit thing was really good too). Fave costume is a hard call, but probably Rocket. I still love that the mouth moves, it's quite mesmerizing to watch in person because it looks so real.
>>
>>8688727
How did getting changed for judging at the con work? Was there a place to just leave your comp costume there for the rest of the day? Only thing that puts me off the day before judging tbh.
>>
>>8688994
The competition team nailed the event, I really want to enter next year but that was my concern as well. I don't know if I could wear something possibly bulky 2 days in a row.
>>
>>8688885
I was nervous for her the whole time, she's obviously very new to pointe and doesn't quite have the ankle strength and balance necessary to consistently pull off some of the moves she was doing. If she'd done the skit in flats, lowered the difficulty or saved it until next year, the result would have been much more polished. I loved Skull Kids skits both days.
>>
>>8689095
They're not new to being on pointe, they just haven't danced for a few years. I think the dance was beautiful and I'm surprised she didn't win a skit award. I think I 'm also a bit meh about it because I didn't really like the material in the skull kid's skit but thats just me.
>>
>>8689171
Then she should probably have practiced more/waited longer before trying to perform it. You can easily see how shaky she was watching the video.
>>
>>8689207
Are you a professional dancer? I'm really disappointed in the amount of judgement instead of support considering she blatantly put her heart into her skit.
>>
>>8689269
>you need to be a professional to see mistakes
By that logic, how can you tell it was 'beautiful' without being a pro? Thats a flawed as hell argument.

The routine was nice, and with a little more practice it could have been amazing. But it was a little bit shaky at points, which is all people have been saying.
>>
>>8689279
I was asking out of curiosity, there was no logic or implications with it.

But yes. I think the skit was great anyway and she looked very happy and I think that's the most important part.
>>
>>8683201
I'm new to the community. Why do people not like him?
>>
>>8689269
>>8689269
>oh no, people have opinions
I loved her skit, but she was shaking during it quite often, I was worried she might injure herself. It was a beautiful routine but being so worried for her distracted from her dancing.
>>
>>8689269
all people are doing is offering advice on how she could improve, chill out
>>
Can we have a photodump of cosplayers from this weekend?
>>
>>8689279
>>8689269
Kinda off topic but, it doesn't matter if she had average or flawless execution, it wouldn't have won out over a totally original skit with a script in comp.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 640x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 640x373
Shine on u crazy diamond
>>
>>8689568
Goddamn she has some serious issues she needs to deal with.
>>
>>8680380
Now I'm worried it was me...
>>
>>8689612
I think you'd know, bro.
>>
>>8689616
She was always creepin on me and my partner . Probably not me then though.
>>
>>8689568
Didn't she just jump into the team during the photo? I saw Jess say something about her.
>>
>>8689568
This shit cray. Spent entire quiz trying to figure out who the fuck this was and why the fuck they were suddenly in our team. Didn't find out til later that I wasn't the only one confused.
>>
>>8689568
Friendly reminder to visit Sweet Release on Monday for their reopening.
>>
>>8689374
He just gives off this vibe of being really up himself.
>>
>>8689374
I thought his arrogance was almost tolerable, but then he started talking trash about the comp.
>>
>>8689374
His competitive nature gets the best of him sometimes, and it has led to him saying and doing some rather nasty things - and people have long memories. I'm told he is a nice enough guy outside of the context of cosplay, which makes all the more the shame.
>>
Forget interpersonal drama, If there's one person I could ban from events it'd be that Nathan V guy. His behaviour is just wildly inappropriate no matter what the setting.

>>8689488
Any particular day or photographer you want? That's a broad request.
>>
>>8689374
He comes off as arrogant and self-centered. I'm aware of a fair bit of non-cosplay related drama, but as far as cosplay related stuff goes, he trash-talked a lot about the competition because the judge then (Michaela) made him stick by the rules and wouldn't let him enter the above pictured Loki!Iron man mess, as it was an original creation. He spread rumours that it was rigged, among other things, to the general populace, and as he had a lot of normalfag followers lapping up anything he says it actually spread a lot and caused a fair bit of damage. I'm trying to find the threads from around the time where it happened in the archive but I'm having a bit of trouble, so if anyone has the links lying around.... That's as much as I can remember anyway - if I've got something wrong sing out, my memory is not the best. I am fairly biased against him, as I'm sure quite a number of us are, he may have changed now, I wouldn't know.
>>
>>8689689
Basically this. In non-cosplay drama he is just absolutely vile and I really don't like how he talks to/about women in general.
>>
>>8689687
Nathan is literal scum and I wish he would stop turning up to events.

Also apologies, how about we have a dump of Dan's photos, he usually gets most people.
>>
>>8689687
I thought the safety man costume was great and fun, and then I found out it was Nathan and that thought was way gone.
>>
>>8689701
It only just occurred to me how ironic that costume is. He's the opposite of safety in every way shape or form.
>>
>>8689374
His Loki costume got the same kind of e-fame as Jessica Nigri's photos and so he thinks he's on a level above other NZ cosplayers. Also that the rules should be changed to accommodate that.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (482 KB, 734x998) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
482 KB, 734x998
>>8689374
He's really really up himself. He's pretty much become the lolcow of the community after the box loki disaster.
>>
>>8689698
Dan is also fuckin creepy..
>>
>>8690187
Wow what the hell? He's one of the nicest people I have ever met. He's sociable and kind and actually asks you questions.
If you wanna talk about creepy, let's talk about Nathan, Kyle and Glenn.
>>
File: 1440977984901.gif (638 KB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1440977984901.gif
638 KB, 200x180
>>8690187
Dan is one of the more professional photographers going. Sounds like you're talking shit.
>>
>>8690187
He's super nice but he is an edge on the creepy side. I can't seem to have a conversation with him without half of it spent with him staring at my chest.
>>
>>8690187
He's friendly and enthusiastic which can get exhausting occasionally and a little weird but there are actual creeps in the community, Dan is harmless.
>>
>>8690270
Agreed. He's nice in person and then you look at his cosplay albums and see practically no photos of males. And there's the constant getting girls in dresses to spin around (which makes the skirt fly up a lot)
>>
The open position in the quiz group was directly offered to Lennon (which is fair enough, he knew the group and knows a shit tonne) and Lilly literally DASHED right past saying "YEEEEESS" and straight to the group. So she was ininvited and stayed for some weird reason
>>
>>8689568
Was this posted on her personal fb?
>>
So are any of you planning on entering the comp at manugeddon?
>>
>>8690523
I might go for Akibacon instead this year
>>
>>8690523
Trying to decide if it's worth going to that instead of Wellington as a mid-year con. I want to enter comps this year after I saw things went alright with new judges.
>>
>>8690271
I'm talking about how he acts on facebook. The number of ridiculous, fedora-ish comments he makes is just insane, lol...he is a c r e e p. Just because there are guys worse than him doesn't let him off the hook.
>>
>>8690574
Same. No dumb trinity treasures vouchers in the prize pool!
>>
>>8690713
Do we know if that ever got resolved or is it just the same?
>>
Did any of you go as an Inkling?
Friend of mine saw you and said 'stay fresh' if you're here.
>>
Quick question - I haven't seen any groups win technicals. I can't even remember if I've seen one win one. Does that mean it is more logical to enter alone?
>>
>>8691257
Groups have won best in show before, for sure. They CAN win technicals, I think?
>>
>>8691257
Pretty sure the de wilds won technical with their Black Widow/Hawkeye and possibly their elves too.

Basically to win a technical all of the costumes involved need to be really technically impressive and the sad fact of groups is that there's usually one or several people whose costumes are less well made than others' in the group. So I assume the reason there are few group technicals is because it's harder to maintain a high standard of quality with multiple people.
>>
>>8691682
Adding to myself - whereas awards like Best Group/Best in Show account for other things like skits and overall presentation so they can win back points in other areas they may have lost from the technical side of things. (I'm not a judge btw just theorising)
>>
>>8691257
Slinky and Soxy also won technical for their Sora and Roxas group.
agreeing with >>8691682 and that there probably needs to be a high standard across the group to win it
>>
>>8691682
Okay thank you! I'll make sure I enter with people the same as me.
>>
>>8692377
Start now then...it happens all the time with groups, people rush to finish and end up way below the level of the others and it drags the whole thing down. With solos too actually, it sucks so bad when you see someone rushing to get it done and it could have been so much better if they'd had more time.
>>
>>8692413
Yeah no worries, I always notice that too. I'll make sure to start in advance.
>>
>>8689621
She creeps on everyone's partners. It's really frustrating.

>>8689568
Can someone issue her a reality check?
>>
What costume would you love to see a kiwi cosplayer of your choice wear?
>>
>>8693485
good question - it's cool to see people do something outside their usual style.
>>
>>8693485
Rowan and or Alex Pople do pretty much any Sakizou design
>>
>>8693539
I think I saw them considering one which is cool. (Unless it was the other sister)
>>
>>8693485
would love to see kyle as a decent human being
>>
>>8693820
I don't think he could pull it off, too much difference between himself and what he'd be portraying.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 93

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.