[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
brownface
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: korra.jpg (14 KB, 274x300) Image search: [Google]
korra.jpg
14 KB, 274x300
Just a quick question about what's going on. I'm late to the party and want to know, why it's a thing now. Why is putting darker make up on racist all of a sudden?
>>
Why the fuck are people killing legitimate threads with all this bullshit lately?
>>
>>8666312
For starters it never looks good. The white girls "Vivienne make up test" is some of the worst makeup I've ever seen, regardless of how you feel about her doing it politically. She didn't make herself look anything like Vivienne, she just globbed dark makeup on.

When you try to change your race with your makeup, one of two things happens:

1) Like the girl above, you think [black character's look] is nothing but their skin tone. You don't have do anything like contorting or duplicating their eye makeup or lip tone, cause black people are just a skin tone. Heck, don't even duplicate the exact tone, just be dark.

2) So let's say you go all out and start changing your whole face. You get a nose prosthetic and give the illusion of a new cheek and jaw structure. You get the color just right and look like a black person. Well you've now put on a bunch of features that people are getting mocked, harassed, assaulted and murdered over. And if you want to stop that treatment, all you have to do is shower.

Photographers in fashion have been known to paint their white models instead of getting black ones because they get to have contrast without having to have "ugly" black features in their shoot.

When people argue that this kind of cosplay is okay, they generally say stuff like "stop complaining you dumb n*****s" which directly translates to "we want to look like you (temporarily, for fun) without having to respect you."

Not included in the people I'm criticizing: Cosplayers who get a tan or put on some bronzer. There's nothing wrong with going out in the natural darkest shade your skin can get, and people who get up in arms about it are stupid.
>>
its always been racist
>>
File: Golliwog.jpg-pwrt3.jpg (21 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Golliwog.jpg-pwrt3.jpg
21 KB, 620x413
>>8666312
HI seagulls, brown person here.

Do you know how many non white characters there are in the media?

Do you really need to dress up as a black character when you have like 99% of all characters to *not* be a racist with? Jesus fuck. Dress up as Asami. Or maybe don't shit up whatever con you're going to with your presence.

If you legitimately, sincerely can't see whats wrong with blackface, i apologize for my combative tone but you are literally the personification of privilege. No matter how tasteful you're being, this is what you'll end up portraying.
>>
>>8666354
>"If you legitimately, sincerely can't see whats wrong with blackface, i apologize for my combative tone but you are literally the personification of privilege." I'm white but I don't get how people don't see this? If you could honestly sit there in front of a mirror and paint yourself black or brown and not feel like "hm, this feels a bit wrong" there's something wrong with you.
>>
File: 1345647700623.jpg (22 KB, 225x277) Image search: [Google]
1345647700623.jpg
22 KB, 225x277
>>8666312
>Why is putting darker make up on racist all of a sudden
>All of a sudden
Come on now, you can do better than that.
>>
>>8666358
I think some people are honestly just so sheltered they don't realize the depth of the issue, and on some level i guess i can understand, "we have a black president, racism is dead we did it!"
Its a kind of innocence, but then also closed mindedness in not trying to understand the objections to it.
>>
>>8666332
OP here.
Very valid points. Thanks for replying.

I forgot to add that I'm black myself. But I'm not afro-american.

1) She's really inaccurate with the tone. I don't know her and would have to look into her background to judge if she was just lazy or really not thinking about skin features. But all in all I don't think it's too bad. I kinda still appreciate her trying.

2) With how things are going down in the US and people treat black people, I really understand how some people get offended.
And I have to admit, what photographers in fashion do pisses me off.

But almost everyone of my white cosplayfriends paints their skin dark for cosplay sometimes, as well as I try to get my skin lighter, too.
I don't feel like "Hey we want to look like you". It's more like "We want to look like character X from Y", who mostly has dark skin in anime when they decide to portray him/her and paint their body. Also most anime fail to portray facial features as well. So I never got the idea that they disrepect my skintone and culture.
But that's just my friends. Don't know how others think of it and will have to do some research with your words in mind.

So I get it, but still I can't relate to it when I think about cosplay in my country.

Thanks for giving me an honest and constructive answer to work with.
>>
>>8666373
...what characters are they cosplaying? Are there even that many dark characters? Or do you have 2 friends who are obsessed with cosplaying dark characters? Because that's kinda fucked up.
>>
One of the famous examples is Korra (3-4 did her). Other characters I didn't know because I wasn't cosplaying with them and didn't bother to ask. Just saw the reference pictures in their galery. They mostly cosplay white characters but not only.
>>
>>8666354
So white people are not allowed to cosplay certain characters just because they happen to have different skintone, or they have to sacrifice accuracy so they wouldn't be "racist".

I don't like the mentality that "you are not allowed to cosplay x" especially since it's about something people are born with.
Cosplaying is about portaying a certain character, not a group of people. It's also almost never done in a mocking tone which actual black-facing is.

Blackfacing is wrong, but cosplay isn't blackface. It's being accurate and true to the character.

People in general should be allowed to cosplay anyone and anything they like.
>>
Gwan Cosplay
>Blackface
>>
>>8666391
>Now Redface
>>
>>8666392
>>8666391
And what her skin is actually like

50% of this girls cosplay include this shit. But no one has called her up on it.
The quality of the paint job if offensive enough.
>>
In my opinion I think people can just cosplay the character without changing skin tones etc because most anime characters are supposed to be asian no? Yet people won't run around with their eyes taped weirdly or their skin tones changed for that so I don't know why people have to paint themselves black unless they're scared of being inaccurate which I would personally rather be than racist and getting attacked by tumblr
>>
>>8666354
It's not blackface though, who in cosplay actually dresses like a gollywog or a minstrel? I am brown and I legitimately couldn't give a flying fuck if someone of a non brown or black race wants to go all out in order to recreate the image OF A FICTIONAL FUCKING CHARACTER. So what if there are more white skinned characters they can cosplay from? How is that relevant? The individual may just really like a brown character for whatever reason and cosplay is basically an exercise in escapism, so pretending to be a brown person is not that a great a stretch from pretending to be Japanese person (some of which are very tan in and out of anime). It's like saying well Japanese people suffered having atomic bombs dropped on them, don't dare cosplay a Japanese animu character as you do not know the suffering they went through. Seriously just leave your political over sensitive racial bullshit out of this hobby.
>>
>>8666391
Is that supposed to be a good example? Because that skin tone doesn't suit her at all.
>>
Changing your skintone to match that of the character isn't racist at all. The problem is that changing it to a different color is associated with mockery.
I see this is mostly reserved for white cosplayers. Theres that one really popular asian kid who does makeup to look like celebrities and no ones pulling the racist card. Instead he is artistic and skilled.
>>8666354
Why should they have to dress up as Asami because they're white? If they want to cosplay a black character let them.
>>
>>8666391
Didn't even bother to paint her hands.
>>
>>8666388
OP here.

Your opinion is what I've read the past years about this topic. Cosplay =/= black-/red-/yellowfacing.
That's why I was surprised what's going on now.
>>
>>8666388
People will recognize a well-done costume just fine without the race-painting
See white Storms, white Korras, white Isabelas, etc

White Mako Mori cosplayers don't have to tape their eyes in her eye shape to have an "accurate costume" so no one has to paint themselves brown either
>>
>>8666392
Everything aside I think this is really pretty.
>>
>>8666396
>Seriously just leave your political over sensitive racial bullshit out of this hobby.

This.
>>
>>8666406

Seriously. If your cosplay is good enough, you shouldn't need to black/red/yellow up.

But that's not gonna stop white people declaring "I DON'T THINK THIS IS RACIST BECAUSE" while anyone who isn't white is cringing themselves inside out.
>>
>>8666396
>>8666402
>>8666409

"In the United States, blackface was used as part of Minstrel Shows, which is basically a comedy show where the only joke was basically "Wow, black people sure are stupid!" As you can imagine, incredibly fucking offensive. Blackface was also used on stage or screen so that a show could have black characters, without having to actually, you know, hire black people. The white actors would then usually play up negative black stereotypes in the process.

So there is a lot of history of blackface being used as a method of mocking black people. But, hey, that's just history. Why would it be offensive today?

>>8666388

Your point that you wouldn't be offended by a black person in "whiteface", or that it is the same as dressing as an asian, is what we might call 'false equivalency'; within a larger cultural context, it isn't the same thing. There are several reasons for this.

The first and most straightforward is that the mentality of the ministrel show hasn't disappeared. A lot of people who wear blackface in their costumes for Halloween or whatever use it as an excuse to make fun of black people, so people are wary of it. But that doesn't make in intrinsically racist, right?

Well, no, nothing is "intrinsically" anything when talking about race, because race isn't skin deep. You appear to believe in a sort of colourblind mentality towards race, in that it doesn't matter at all what race you are. Well, race is kind of an absurd concept because humans pretty much just made it up, but humans also just sort of made up things like governments, laws and economies, which are also important and "real" things.

continued
>>
Isn't black-face about mocking and being cruel while cosplaying is about glorifying and adoration?

Argument over.
>>
>>8666420
To white folks like you, this often doesn't make a lot of sense; you were taught as kids that race doesn't matter. But it's very easy to say that something that rarely seems to affect you doesn't matter; your race as white people is seen by society as default, your experiences as normal. Your stories get to be the ones that get retold and remembered, and we retell and remember them quite frequently. It's like saying it doesn't matter who wins or loses, after collecting the trophy and the prize money.

So something like whiteface doesn't affect you; it's just skin tone, after all. It's also why, as Americans who are very disconnected, often by generations, from our European ancestors, you often don't give a shit about those stereotypes either.

If you are a person of colour in America, it is impossible not to notice race. Even if you've never been subject to malicious racism, you know that you are perceived as an outsider to the dominant culture. Even if you didn't want to care about race, race has been made important for you, personally. You've experienced a lot of shit you know is basically invisible to white people because of "just" your skin tone."
>>
>>8666409
It's not your place to brush off an issue as being overly sensitive when you aren't the person being affected.
>>
Don't quite understand why "IT'S FOR COSPLAY SO IT'S OKAY!" is considered a decent excuse. People like to put cosplay into this special bubble.

Stores that sell facepaints to make yourself look indian/chinese/black during halloween are critiqued and shamed but apparently doing it yourself for cosplay is fine because "I like the character and cosplay is artistic!"
>>
>>8666391
this looks so bad, jesus christ
>>
File: blackface-flowchart-2.0.jpg (23 KB, 525x358) Image search: [Google]
blackface-flowchart-2.0.jpg
23 KB, 525x358
Here is a helpful chart. Replace halloween with cosplay.
>>
>>8666425
It's because cosplay is admiration for the character. Blackface is mocking.
>>
>>8666332
>For starters it never looks good
Boom, end of post. It looks awful. You end up with this brown skin but none of the corresponding features. People who do this just look so god damn BAD at the end of it. We don't have to have a debate about whether the accuracy is worth the political shitstorm, because it's not even accurate in the end. It's ugly.
>>
>>8666354
>there are so many other white characters out there, so stop liking the colored ones! Go like the white ones instead! DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE BECAUSE I TELL YOU SO!

Because obviously there is no reason why people spend money and work on a costume, it's not because they like them or anything.
>>
>>8666447
Go to the Facebook page of the white woman doing blackface for Vivienne and you'll see hundreds of black women who don't feel "admired"
>>
>>8666447
Admiration? So.. I can paint my face brown for Halloween too right? Because I'm admiring the character I'm dressing as? Or how about for an afro-Caribbean culture festival? Clearly I'm just admiring their culture so I can paint my skin right?

No. Just because you admire something does not mean you should try to replicate it. If this thread had been "can I tape my eyes to look asian because I admire the character" no one would be supporting it.
>>
File: suisei-3-7-amy.jpg (40 KB, 680x382) Image search: [Google]
suisei-3-7-amy.jpg
40 KB, 680x382
Ok, just for clarification, putting on bronzer or tanning for a cosplay is ok, right? But painting yourself brown like idk...Rufflebutt did with her Anthy is wrong? Because I find the former kind of tacky, but I've tanned or put on bronzer for some cosplay, just because the character is more tan than my natural skin tone. Am I not allowed to do that anymore? I don't find anything wrong with tanning or something. An example would be, when I cosplayed Amy two years ago, I went tanning before the con because she has s tan. I also cosplayed Keiko from YYH that weekend, and she is asian but I'm not.
>>
Idk about the rest of you but I live in America. If I want to go outside with my face painted black, brown, yellow or with a fucking swastika carved into my forehead I'm going to do it. It not my job to worry about any persons feelings getting hurt. Don't like dealing with things that offend you? Grow the fuck up. Your feelings getting hurt doesn't trump my right to freedom of expression and my personal liberty.

Complain all you want but people are allowed to wear whatever makeup they want and if you sit around all day getting offended on the internet about you've seriously got some fucked up priorities in life.

in b4 someone calls me an egdy teenager or some such.
>>
>>8666479

Yeah fuck your inb4, you're an edgy teenager.

>LOL WHO CARES ABOUT EMPATHY OR NOT BEING A SHITTY PERSON THE WORLD IS ABOUT ME
>>
>>8666477
Totally okay. Tanning is still within your skins natural range.
>>
>>8666482
And at the same time you say that you expect everyone else on the planet to go through life tiptoing around your feelings. Your feelings over how someone applys makeup for a hobby no less? Tell me who is really self-absorbed here?
>>
99% of western cosplay already is "yellow face" given that you're (predominantly) a bunch of white people dressing up as Japanese characters and vice versa
>>
I think it's funny that this board is all about accuracy and looking good, but as soon as people want to make themselves look hideous and inaccurate in a way that pisses of SJWs they'll die defending it.
>>
>>8666497
No, yellowface would be changing our features to look east asian instead of white, not simply putting on a Japanese character's costume.
>>
Everyone who gets mad over a cosplayer tanning their skin for a cosplay needs to get a fucking life. Seriously. I can understand why you would get mad but actually calling it racism is fucking ridiculous. That's like calling a crossdresser a transphobe. Fuck your oversensitive ass.
>>
>>8666501
You say that but you tumblrina shitstains still went fucking apeshit over the MFA Boston kimono non-issue "scandal"

Just waiting for you pricks to go full "Keep the races and cultures pure" /pol/ but with that uniquely faux-leftist spin you assholes put on it.

Get fucked.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (90 KB, 956x640) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
90 KB, 956x640
>>8666312
Some Argie cosplayer put on brown makeup and the opinions generally diverged into
>don't do that, it's racist and offensive
>don't do that, it looks like shit
>paint your skin whatever color you want, this is cosplay and not blackface

What REALLY irks me is that people are sending this girl death threats over what is essentially a non-issue compared to shit like the Richard Bui incident.
>>
>>8666510
>Richard Bui incident
Care to elaborate? Google isn't getting me anything
>>
>>8666514
Thats cause mods keep deleting the threads hah
>>
>>8666507
>That's like calling a crossdresser a transphobe
lol this actually happens. SJW trannies absolutely despise RuPaul.

Imagine being RuPaul, a literal tranny nigger faggot, growing up and surviving through the sheer brutality of the 70s, 80s, and 90s being such a creature and still having a successful career despite all those setbacks

then some teenage tumblrinas dogpile you for "transphobia"
>>
>>8666514
Famous cos photographer coaxed and pressured (partially underaged) girls into sending them nudes so he could "help them pose better".
Search for Dani Jackson on Facebook before mods delete all the posts again.
>>
I don't really understand....I think people are being too sensitive over it.
Cosplayers, change their hair, contour their faces to mimic a characters, I've even heard of people taping their eyes to acheave a certain look.
And yet why is dark make up suddenly taboo?
Would it be the same if a black person used super pale make up?

I feel like the whole "it's blackface" argument is invalid.
Blackface was used to mock African Americans. It was supposed to turn them into a jester essentially. It exaggerated the typical features into something ridiculous that people can laugh at.
The above is not okay, but it's also not what Cosplayers are doing.

Cosplayers aren't putting on dark make up to make fun of black people. They're trying to emulate a character that has a darker skin tone. If anything, that's the exact opposite of the intention behind blackface.

You're welcome to think it just looks bad though. That's totally valid. But don't call people racists if they are doing literally nothing but liking a character
>>
File: 468px-Vivienne-gallery-01.jpg (29 KB, 468x263) Image search: [Google]
468px-Vivienne-gallery-01.jpg
29 KB, 468x263
>>8666510
And this is who she's supposedly cosplaying. It doesn't look good or accurate.
>>
File: Clipboard02.jpg (121 KB, 616x887) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02.jpg
121 KB, 616x887
>>8666514
tl;dr a grown ass man (who has a little daugher) pushes underaged girls to send them nudes, some do because teenagers are dumb and easily manipulated
>>
The only thing I don't like is that it's getting out of control. Most people I know say that if I tanned myself (even naturally), it would be racist if I put on a cosplay of a tanned character.

Alternatively, if I don't look at least a little like a PoC, I am whitewashing.

There go my dreams of having Josephine's hideously amazing shirt.
>>
>>8666510
Oh look, I see Maki Roll in there equally being a literal piece of shit.
>>
>>8666533
When whitewashing is happening
- white fanart
- white mods

When whitewashing is not happening:
- a white person cosplaying a character who isn't white
>>
>>8666525
So much this. It's Americans with their historical links and current SJW obsession with calling everything skin tone related 'blackface'. Blackface this blackface that. The entire cosplay community isn't America or based there and rest of us shouldn't have to make our cosplay decisions based on their shitty historical treatment of blacks.
The act of making your skin look darker to dress up us a fictional character is categorically not inherently racist (by this logic all white people donning fake tans a la Geordie/Jersey Shore etc are racists) , all these people throwing the word racist around so casually need to study harder during their English lessons to improve basic literacy comprehension:
racist
noun
1.a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
synonyms: racial bigot, racialist, xenophobe, chauvinist;
antonyms: multicultural, tolerant
adjective: racist
1.having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.

If said person making up their skin to be darker can be described as any of the above then they are racist, if not then they aren't. How hard is that to understand?
>>
race is not a costume.
just wear the actual costume part (outfit, wig, etc.).
if you truly think the only way to identify a character is by looking at their race and not the rest of their design, you should probably work on that.
>>
>>8666528
That's so weird considering Viv is 99% costume. Her features are very little in the overall look.
>>
File: image.gif (273 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
273 KB, 320x240
>>8666555
>race is not a costume
No but dressing up as a make believe character who may or may not be a different race and even species is a costume.
Lighten up.
No pun intended.
>>
As a man I am offended by this
>>
>>8666532
There are people who fell for this? For fuck's sake, this has pervert written all over it.
>>
>>8666479
MUH FREEDOM OF SPEECH
>>
>>8666532

are there any male cosplay photographers who ARENT perverts?
>>
File: 7761090.gif (688 KB, 320x246) Image search: [Google]
7761090.gif
688 KB, 320x246
>>8666567
Unless she's a actual alcoholic cockney pirate she has no right doing this, and she very clearly does not have a penis, how dare she.
>>
File: 3MdC2vA.jpg (168 KB, 871x654) Image search: [Google]
3MdC2vA.jpg
168 KB, 871x654
>Cosplayers don't have any intention of offense.
>"but it's offensive!!"
>I'm not making fun of black people, I'm trying to be accurate
>"even if it's not blackface, it's still offensive and you shouldn't do it!"
>why?
>"I'M SO TRIGGERED REEEEEEEEEEEEE"

pic related is what you all sound like
>>
>>8666422

This was very well constructed and informative.

My point wasn't that "I wouldn't be offended by whitefacing so suck it up" though, but that's way besides the point.

Thanks for clearing this up. This is such a complicated issue since when talking about rasism, it seems like intentions don't matter. Or well, they do matter because of bad intentions created this whole problem to begin with.

Sorry for rambling, but basically I understand your point and I'm glad you took time to explain it.
>>
>>8666312

I'm brown, fuck everyone else. Brown yourself up. I'm cool with it. They can suck a dick. You are cosplaying, not making a rally to remove minorities from subway's and panda expresses near every convention in the US.

If you want to cosplay Korra, do it. If you want to brown it up to do it, do it. I'll do some firebending crap shots with you. Fuck the haters and the triggered bitches.

Cosplay is about you, not this pseudo political guilt shit.
>>
>>8666422

I am a person of race in America. I find your inherent belief that I am thin skinned and unable to handle differing skin tones racist. You do not speak for the entirety of American minorities. I do not approve you using my race to push your agenda of separating and dividing cosplayers based on their skin tone. Let them brown it up. If they suck at it, we judge them on their suckiness. Not on whether they are respecting some pseduemotional bullshit about "muh browness".
>>
>>8666406

Doesn't mean they can't go the extra mile to do it either. If they have everything on point and want to take that extra mile, you are being a triggered prick by telling them "No". You might offend someone because they were told to be offended by that.
>>
>>8666424

I am a minority, I agree with that person and pass him my brown power to make that statement. Let him make his points.
>>
>>8666567
>>8666577
false equivalence, but keep fellating your fallacy
>>
SJWs fuck right off to tumblr where you belong
>>
>>8666609
oh no it's the idiot brigade. White people, so sensitive about criticism. They should really just learn to take it.
>>
>>8666607
>>I am a minority

Uh i don't think lackwits are a minority group, especially on this website, so...
>>
>>8666604
>You do not speak for the entirety of American minorities
Neither do you. If you want to discuss this with other non-white people you can, but you don't get to give white people permission to do things that other minorities are asking them not to.

Honestly I base my feeling on this and other racial subjects on the writings of people who are confirmed as black. Anons on 4chan and tumblr love to lie about being a minority so they can say what they want to hear. I could also bury you all in writing from black scholars and activists that not only condemns this kind of behavior, but cites studies that back up their points. The OMG it's harmless" argument does hold up in actual studies.
>>
File: nsmail-1.png (2 MB, 1023x881) Image search: [Google]
nsmail-1.png
2 MB, 1023x881
>>8666613
>incorrectly assuming I'm white for disagreeing with you
Typical SJW behavior.

Your histrionic upper-middle class white bitch bullshit does absolutely NOTHING for us. In fact, you are part of the problem. They're locking us up because of 'manspreading' bullshit. Fuck you.
>>
>>8666614

Whatever. I'm not going to sit here and debate my browness quotient for you to make some case that "I'm not black enough" for not getting up in arms about someone doing a good SU cosplay whilst being lilly white. It doesn't btoher me, it bothers you. Yet every single person on here makes it into some huge fucking conspiracy to be overtly racist. You are systematically dividing and generalizing people. That's bullshit. you don't want to agree, suck a nut and move on. We don't have to agree and we won't. I'm not going to be the poster child for hurt minorities in the US. You can fill that roll if you want.
>>
>>8666617

I do get to give non-white people free pass. I'm not offended. I don't see it as racist. You do. That is your problem. For your entirety of "muh emotions" you keep basing it on a predisposition that white people have it out for you. If you stopped labeling everyone not like you as something before you even talk to them, maybe you wouldn't see racism in everything around you. Like fucking racist do all the time. You are a problem to me as much as KKK fucktards are, You are a racist bigot. Just because they are white doesn't mean you get free pass to judge their actions on your biased subjective viewpoints. They are human too. Do you have one shred of evidence showing on of these racist blackface cosplayers making racial remarks about a subset of humans based on their skin color? Cosplay communities are some of the most inclusive people I have ever met in my life and I find it hard to believe you have a magical book of instances where cosplayers are being racist? It just doesn't make any rhyme of reason. You are looking for a racist problem where none even exists. You are making racists, no one else is.
>>
>>8666420
in USA, yes. Other parts of the world have other (racial or national) problems.
>>
>>8666632
>Cosplay communities are some of the most inclusive people I have ever met in my life
Stop anon, that's too funny, I'm dying over here!
>>
File: 1444589399725.jpg (640 KB, 944x1016) Image search: [Google]
1444589399725.jpg
640 KB, 944x1016
>>8666632
This is spot on.
>>
File: bcma-Calloway.jpg (150 KB, 512x643) Image search: [Google]
bcma-Calloway.jpg
150 KB, 512x643
>>8666619
>talks about racism
>must be a feminist

wow logic clearly isn't your strong suit is it buddy. Why don't we just go outside for now. Just stop posting.
>>
File: blm.jpg (78 KB, 780x465) Image search: [Google]
blm.jpg
78 KB, 780x465
>>8666648
>>8666632
LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK. LET HER SPEAK.
>>
>>8666644

Inclusive doesn't mean they aren't backstabbing you over the latest lolita fashion trend anon. It just means anybody can get into it, become part of it if they put the work in. The work is the key. Can you honestly say someone trying to get into cosplay is automatically dismissed for their skin color? They get the chance to do what they love regardless of their skin color. Because for the most part except for some sensitive fucks out there, no one gives a crap if you aren't pasty white or akon black. We all got a chance to be garnet, even if we have a dick. We just better do it right or people will talk shit.
>>
File: 10854971_gal.jpg (27 KB, 442x280) Image search: [Google]
10854971_gal.jpg
27 KB, 442x280
>>8666653
now *this* is shit posting. Not sure what i expected from this website tbh.
>>
>>8666632
>Cosplay communities are some of the most inclusive people I have ever met
And yet they don't know any black people to cosplay the black characters
>>
>>8666445
>black people in charge of understanding flowcharts
>>
>>8666632
>>You are a racist bigot

Stopped reading here, please make bait less obvious in future i can't get my fury boner going unless i really believe it.
>>
>>8666654
>Can you honestly say someone trying to get into cosplay is automatically dismissed for their skin color?
http://www.xojane.com/issues/mad-back-cosplayer-chaka-cumberbatch

Not that SJWs are any better. There was a mixed race Korra cosplayer I'm friends with who got ran out for "blackface" when it turned out that was her natural skin tone
>>
>>8666661

Maybe just maybe the black people don't want to cosplay fucking Garnet. Maybe the white kid that grew up and loves SU wants to be Garnet because he identifies with the character and loves his Garnet plushie at home. Who are you to judge his actions? I'm brown and everything I cosplay is lilly white because for some reason anime heroes are pasty white femboys. What do I do? I suck it up, hide in the shadows, lose as much color as I can and try my best. It's hard to white yourself up without looking like some weird albino. I have much props for someone that can darken themselves up and deal with that stage makeup all over themselves as they try to keep it from smearing, sealing and just looking a hot mess. They usually fail but somebody will do it right, unless we stifle everything by saying "nooooo you can't do that you are a white boi". That's divisive. Let them do.
>>
>>8666608
>missing your chance to say phallicy instead of fallacy
>>
>>8666453
>what is reading comprehension
>>
File: baphomet.png (748 KB, 1794x2506) Image search: [Google]
baphomet.png
748 KB, 1794x2506
>>8666666
Baphomet approves of these seps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopeFgwApCM
>>
>>8666664

See exceptions to every rule. But does this not piss you off royally. she is beautiful. She is so fucking into it. And people want to give her shit because she is too dark. Leave the skin out of it. Shit pisses me off. Cute as fuck.
>>
>>8666422
Here's what I don't understand...

In asia, asians are the default and you will see pictures of asians advertised in products.
It's the same with every other country, typically whoever is not the minority is the bigger media audience for product consumption. That being said, America still goes to lengths to include a variety of models within products and they're literally the only country that does this. I feel like people like to preach that America is this horrible racist place, but I have never seen anybody act racist other than my dying grandparents and I live in between the worst parts of florida and alabama.

When you're not white in our country, you get a variety of handouts. You can get more scholarships. You have better chances of being accepted into certain schools for minority percentage value and companies are always looking to hire people who aren't white because it looks good. I've desperately wanted to empathize and understand this, so I've asked the feelings of my normy non-white friends and they tell me other than random children calling them "chocolate" once, they function like a normal human being and face the same amount of discrimination any normal person would for anything else. The only black people I've ever talked to who passionately care about this to these lengths are cosplayers and people from tumblr. Any normal person realizes they can get their degree like normal, get a job, etc.

Some will say "people say I can't cosplay this because I'm black!"
Well, people would say shit like that even if you weren't black. They'd say your nose is too big, you're not thin enough, etc. People will always act conniving and vicious no matter what race or gender you are. Being white doesn't mean your life is an easy walk in the park, yet that's what people from tumblr like to preach and I genuinely don't understand it.
>>
>>8666576
I know of like one, but he's not a big name (yet).
>>
File: concise_history_ampersand.jpg (139 KB, 675x530) Image search: [Google]
concise_history_ampersand.jpg
139 KB, 675x530
>>8666673

When you're not white in our country, you get a variety of handouts. You can get more scholarships. You have better chances of being accepted into certain schools for minority percentage value and companies are always looking to hire people who aren't white because it looks good. I've desperately wanted to empathize and understand this, so I've asked the feelings of my normy non-white friends and they tell me other than random children calling them "chocolate" once, they function like a normal human being and face the same amount of discrimination any normal person would for anything else. The only black people I've ever talked to who passionately care about this to these lengths are cosplayers and people from tumblr. Any normal person realizes they can get their degree like normal, get a job, etc.

>>Why can't we just forget about race?!?!?
educate yourself.
>>
File: 1444031871698.jpg (34 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
1444031871698.jpg
34 KB, 848x480
Janitors should just be deleting these threads on sight. Most of these threads are barely on topic arguing and we will never reach a general consensus anyway.
>>
>>8666617
So. Assuming your point concerning lying about your race is valid, how can we confirm you're actually a representative of a racial minority? You might just as well be a white-passing tumblrina with 0,05% black blood trying to scrape up some kind of "ethnicity" to feel special.

I don't even get why the oversensitive tumblrinas are always supposed to get the last word on every issue. What about all the PoC people who don't give a shit about white folks bronzing their skin for a cosplay? Why doesn't their opinion matter? I'm a female who supported Gamergate and the SJW people trying to silence me were just as bad as the misogynistic dudebros sending rape threats. They both try to invalidate my individual existence just because I didn't serve their selfish agenda. The PoC people who aren't offended by tanning your skin for a cosplay are just as much of a reliable source as every other representative of their ethnicity.

The argument about "wearing our skin as a costume" is invalid. They're not wearing your skin as a costume, they're wearing a character as a costume. Dressing up as a certain dark-skinned character and staying accurate to the source material is a lot different than putting on a reed skirt, a bone through an afro wig and painting your skin black for a costume party to look "African".

And "there are plenty of white characters for white folks to cosplay, they're stealing our characters". Excuse me? How does a white-skinned person cosplaying a character actually stop you from cosplaying the character yourself? You'll probably do a better job too if you match the skin colour of the character naturally, so if anything, you should be proud of looking better by comparison.

This whole debate is a living proof of the horseshoe theory. SJWs are so far up against all discrimination they're starting to look like /pol/, just replace jews in their rants with white people and reverse the worries of blacks invading the white culture and there you go.
>>
>>8666694
will never reach a general consensus anyway

not as long as racism still exists, no.
>>
>>8666343
>its always been racist

Why? Everyone always says IT'S RACIST but never do they actuallly give a real reason other than crying their faces off over how IT HURTS MY FEELINGS AND IT'S OFFENDING BECAUSE HISTORY.

Well fuck your history. It's not my problem your country decided to be an asshole. Also if this shit is offensive then cosplay should be banned in general because everything can be offensive. Stop making everything all about your fucking history. Get the fuck over it.
>>
Be happy I'm celebrating your skin tone. Also not everyone who is tan is Black, so.
>>
File: 1436830231620.png (765 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
1436830231620.png
765 KB, 1001x1001
>>8666701
Please refer to: >>8666420
>>
White person cosplays a tan character with no makeup. They're accused of whitewashing.

White person cosplays a tan character with makeup. They're accused of blackfacing.
>>
>>8666709
It's cosplay. Shouldn't you be getting worried about other things going on in the world instead?
>>
File: 1443297898736.png (218 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
1443297898736.png
218 KB, 600x568
>>8666704
>>YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY IM A RACIST FUCK!!!

yessuh massuh thank yuh kahndly
>>
>>8666711
Black person finds neither scenario offensive. They're accused of "internalized racism" and straight up called uncle tom or house nigger by white SJWs with a savior complex
>>
File: 1414101162431.jpg (142 KB, 600x828) Image search: [Google]
1414101162431.jpg
142 KB, 600x828
>>8666713
>>I have no counter argument so i'll just say its a dumb issue! That'll show those meddlin Essss Jaaayy Double Youuuus!!!!!!
>>
>>8666687
I'd be happy to listen and accept other opinions if you'd care to explain to me. I've never spoken with anyone other than individuals from tumblr with self esteem issues and social anxiety who actually care so much that they claim it's unsafe for them to walk in the streets. I've been into a lot of different social groups, and no black person in those many social groups has ever been so sensitive, they've never actually cared and they never felt that their skin tone gave them a disadvantage. So no, I don't get it. Please explain.
>>
>>8666704
It's funny because most of the dark-skinned anime characters aren't even black, they're tan. Yet people still claim white people blackface when cosplaying them even though almost any caucasian will have that skintone after 3 weeks outside in the sun.
>>
>>8666396
Applauds.
>>
>>8666719
First half true. Second half strawman. So close to realization anon, yet so far away.
>>
File: HAKA.png (16 KB, 115x115) Image search: [Google]
HAKA.png
16 KB, 115x115
>>8666722
Hi, not my job to fix your ignorance, so here's someone how did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwkYZOz95M
>>
>>8666421

People want to make everything about them so they will whine about anything just to feel offended. People want to feel offended and they want to feel special.
>>
>>8666406
>People will recognize a well-done costume just fine without the race-painting
But then SJW will complain about whitewashing the characters for cosplay, there is just no way one can win in cases like this.
>>
File: Questlove.jpg (25 KB, 620x321) Image search: [Google]
Questlove.jpg
25 KB, 620x321
>>8666731
People want to deny there's an issue so they can keep doing what they like. The dont want to consider the possibility that the world doesn't revolve on their whims.
>>
File: dissenters.png (270 KB, 600x279) Image search: [Google]
dissenters.png
270 KB, 600x279
>>8666726
>Second half strawman.
http://twitchy.com/2014/05/20/white-leftist-to-black-conservative-my-pleasure-house-n-gger-youll-do-anything-fo-massa/
http://i.imgur.com/rJRPd3m.png
>>
>>8666732
SJWs can't be appeased. Never give them an inch.
>>
Interested to know if people feel as strongly about whiteface like what bec's cosplay wonderland does (makeup and Photoshop to make her appear caucasion)
>>
>>8666422
>You've experienced a lot of shit you know is basically invisible to white people because of "just" your skin tone.

Don't speak for all of us, I've never experienced shit growing up just over my skin tone and neither did my family or relatives.
>>
>>8666730
>Hi, not my job to fix your ignorance
>NOT MY JOB TO EDUCATE YOU
I'm so happy you moral guardian shitheads are getting completely and utterly destroyed by the GamerGate backlash.
>>
>>8666744
Hi! That's great to hear! That doesn't invalidate anything i said, but thank you for your contribution. You have advanced the discourse by leaps and bounds.
>>
All I want to say is when white people do it it's racists and when a colored person does it it's ok. Boom mind blown.
>>
>>8666745
http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/white-privilege-explained/

I linked a comic, even you should be able to get through that mental slog. Have fun!
>>
>>8666747
I went to a primarily black school and was beaten up everyday and had people rub their vomit in my hair because I was white at a primarily black school. Would you consider this racism? Semiunrelated, but I'm curious.
>>
>>8666730
>>8666730
I can see this from a historical viewpoint.

Say two children are born, one is black and one is white in America today.

The black child grows up in a rich household, is given every opportunity for every hobby and succeeds in life and is pretty much able to land a successful place in a company.

White child grows up with parents that beat them everyday, no financial assistance and later resort to prostitution as they live in a shoddy apartment.

Would they still have that magical white privilege that lands them above persona A? I genuinely want to know.
>>
>>8666747
>>8666752
Yo, actual honest-to-goodness oppressed minority here. I took your stupid courses and was surrounded by your bullshit in uni.

I understand all these tumblrisms that you call patriarchy, privilege, intersectionality, kyriarchy, and so forth. I just think it's bullshit and does absolutely nothing for me and that you and your kind should fuck off because you're not welcome and your histrionics are setting race and gender relations back by several decades as well as free speech on the internet.

Now go fuck off to SRS you condescending transracial fraud.
>>
>>8666755
No, they wouldn't because DURR HURR POWER + PRIVILEGE WHAT DOES CONTEXT EVEN MEAN HURR
>>
>>8666755
Yea, hate towards nothing more than skin color, ethnic origin, or culture is racism. Theres plenty of that here in puerto rico.

Some cry baby white girl is going to tell you differently, though. Something about it requires power or some bullshit.
>>
Social justice is the new organized religion the same way adherents refuse to tolerate anyone who doesn't accept the gospel.
>>
>>8666354
Asami isn't white.
>>
>>8666632

THANK YOU
>>
>>8666757

That's a really interesting question, since the background and upbringing would change much of the usual effects like education on a child. In your example, person B would still be statistically more likely to be poorer and less educated than person A despite being white.

Personally i believe discrimination is based on, and a result of socio economic status more than race, but it is the unfortunate case that the two are intricately entwined the world today. White privilege doesn't mean that all white people are better off than all black people, it just means, at its most basic, that the average black person is worse off than the average white person. I hope i've addressed your question, apologies if my meaning is unclear, my writing is convoluted at the best of times and its quite late where i live.
>>
>>8666332
Best arguments I've ever seen so far.
>>
>>8666734

It's your whims you want it to revolve around though, why is your whim better then their whims.
>>
>>8666777
>i believe discrimination is based on, and a result of socio economic status more than race
This glaringly obvious observation is willfully ignored by trust fund kiddie SJWs who grew up with a silver spoon in their fucking mouths and get thousands per month on patreon for trolling twitter all day
>>
>>8666734
There is no issue. You just keep making it an issue because you want everything to be about you.
>>
>>8666784
"people want to deny there is an issue"
>>THERE IS NO ISSUE.

quality.
>>
>>8666787
sorry, i meant to reply to >>8666785
>>
>>8666420
But it's not blackface, you retard.

It's not blackface unless you're dressed up as a caricature of a black person that's intended to make them come off as stupid or clownish.
>>
>>8666312
it isnt racist
the problem is: there a lot of stupid ppl out there who think it is cause they have nothing else to do but cry about useless stuff
>>
>>8666777
No, it's very clear, thank you. I can see where it is very difficult for families to break out of that poverty line and succeed unless a child that is born happens to be a prodigy.

Me being super white, I've personally experienced a lot of fucked up shit that has negatively impacted where I am now. Yet, I've been told by many POC that I have this magical privilege that's going to make everything better and that what I've experienced during my schooling was "not racism". Meanwhile, the people telling me this have two parents, a house and go to a university.

Why can't we all just acknowledge each other's individual experiences and try to put them all on the same level? Cruelty is cruelty and it comes in a million different forms. The same fucked up people who hate somebody for their skin tone are the same fucked up people who steal and set somebody's house on fire. Can't we just acknowledge that not every bad incident is about race?
>>
>>8666664
>There was a mixed race Korra cosplayer I'm friends with who got ran out for "blackface" when it turned out that was her natural skin tone
TOP KEK
>>
It's very important to acknowledge factors other than race, as a statistician, trying to explain something so incredibly complex with a single variable would just be nonsense.

It's equally important not to disregard it as a factor, when it is.

I sincerely hope you overcome the "fucked up shit" and i wish you all the best. Thank you for the civil discourse in this otherwise unnecessarily aggressive thread. Goodnight.
>>
Ok so it's racist to change your skin colour? And/or it's racist to change your skin colour to match another race? Home stuck troll cosplays are officially racist guys we did it, Steven universe too.

But in seriousness what is the difference between painting yourself grey or painting yourself maroon for garnet (I don't get why people say painting yourself for her is racist when she's not black she's reddish purple) and painting yourself brown? Either they're both racist or neither are.
>>
>>8666810
I'm not saying we should wave off racism, goodness no. Nowadays though, people are so unnecessarily aggressive about it. Like... telling me I have magical white privilege because my ancestors could live in a house even though that doesn't effect me in the slightest.

Thank you and have a good night anon, I wish you pleasant dreams.
>>
I'm glad I live in Europe so people don't care if you cosplay a "black" person.
>>
>>8666814
>Ok so it's racist to
Everything is racist, everything is misogynist, everything is sexist.
Except when they do it
You know who
>>
>>8666816
>Europe
You have your own bullshit tensions and hang-ups but yes that is a "freedom" you have, I guess.
>>
File: ashura daki.jpg (441 KB, 800x1829) Image search: [Google]
ashura daki.jpg
441 KB, 800x1829
>>8666814
No fucking shit, I painted my entire body a beautiful sky blue to pull off this Ashura cosplay and I shit you not somebody said I looked like Vishnu and there was this Indian family just staring daggers at me at the staples center

I kek'd internally
>>
>>8666414
Don't speak for everyone. I'm Latina and I don't think it's racist. In fact, many POC in my community don't give a shit either.
>>
>>8666824
>POC
This infuriates me
"people of color" is just one tiny notch away from "colored"
>>
>>8666457
She's a POC too tho lmao
>>
Honestly, if it WASN'T racist, more people would do it. If it truly wasn't racist, people would do it more, even if there was still the same amount of shit going on. People don't do it, because they know it's not okay. Only shitheads trying to stir up shit, or idiots, genuinely do it. Because 90% of people wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. Honestly, if you look deep down, you know it's wrong. That's why people get so furiously angry about it NOT BEING RACIST!!!, you defend it to the death because you know it's wrong and don't want to admit it. Also, if it was about appreciation, people would do it in their every day lives.
>>
>>8666830
>People don't do it, because they know it's not okay.
No, they're being peer pressured against it by offendotrons such as yourself.
>>
File: aljolson.jpg (16 KB, 282x424) Image search: [Google]
aljolson.jpg
16 KB, 282x424
It's all about intent. Pic related: Al Jolson was a true friend to the black community, so there's nothing offensive about his makeup.
>>
>>8666832
This. I don't do it not because I feel it's racist, but because I'm afraid of all the SJW tumblrites calling me out, sharing my personal information, sending me hate messages and getting their personal armies to harass the fuck out of me.
>>
>>8666830
People don't do it because the vast majority of the population can neither agree whether using make up to achieve the skin colour of a /specific character/ is either out-right racist or any different from using make up to imitate a /race/ or caricature there of, nor agree that it is massively subject to opinion and that no one can speak for an entire race so cannot differentiate between the appropriate uses of the following phrases, 'this is offensive' and 'I find this offensive because'.

Because either we're working towards a society where skin colour (amongst other traits) dictates nothing or we're just pretending we are whilst exploiting opportunities to play the race card.
>>
>>8666827
She's white. One of her arguments was that she gets made fun of in Argentina for being white.
>>
>>8666814
Black people are real
alien gemstone people are not
How is that fucking lost on you?
>>
File: imustremovebagel.jpg (33 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
imustremovebagel.jpg
33 KB, 500x333
Hey, can I get a judgement on something here? Am I, as a Jewish man, allowed to be uncomfortable with people dressing up as Nazis and heiling and shit, or does that make me part of the dreaded SJW scum?
>>
>>8666863
This is something to be actually offended about. Actual racism, not this trivial "wahh wahhh honkey tanned their skin" bawling.
>>
>>8666854
That guy who ate so much silver he turned blue is real so is painting yourself blue racist?
>>
>>8666312
Stop reposting this all the fucking time
>>
>>8666497
90% of characters with Japanese names dont look remotely Asian or like any rave for that matter. Anime girls have slowly bewn losing noses over the last decade
>>
File: youknowtherulesandsodoi.jpg (141 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
youknowtherulesandsodoi.jpg
141 KB, 1000x1000
>>8666873
looks like someone forgot THE RULES OF COSPLAY
>>
>>8666854
The question is how is imitating a specific character different from parodying an entire race or caricature there of?
>>
>>8666905
Is that character a parody or caricature of that race? I can't think of a lot of characters that are simply defined by their race.
>>
One thing I notice in this thread is the argument of "whites being offensive as the majority race". You guys do realise that in actual fact Asians are the majority race? and Japanese are very for painting their skin dark for characters. I'm surprised the Sakura from the Dangan Ronpa shoot is never posted here as racist.

I once got told I should be ashamed for wanting to dress as a Gijinka of a lion character because I was going to offend Africans. The character in question was in actual fact close to my naturally tanned skin in colour. I didn't even say I was changing my skin; yet the whitest of white bread race shamed me out of it. My African friend on the other hand wants me to do it since I love the character.
>>
>>8666445
Do black people not understand flow charts?
>>
>>8666920
Silly cracker, PoCs can't be racist against each other because whiteys hold all the power in the world!!!1111

No but seriously, Japanese cosplayers do blackface ALL THE FUCKING TIME and nobody calls them out for it because they know asians ain't gonna give two shits unlike white people.
>>
File: situationen.png (58 KB, 642x1083) Image search: [Google]
situationen.png
58 KB, 642x1083
>>
>>8666608
Alright. Say I agree that it IS a false equivalency. What stops a person from SAYING that others pretending to be men offends an upsets them? Does the hug box support them in this?
>>
>>8666913
Not necessarily though I'm sure there are some.

But really the point is that imitating a specific character different is cosplay, however you choose to interpret the brief, change in skin tone or no.

Parodying an entire race or caricature there of is the fundamentals of black facing.

The two are not fundamentally the same thing. But the term Black Facing is being flung around like they are.
>>
saw someone do this a few years ago, she still genuinely believes there is nothing wrong with what she did, i know some of the UK comm kicked up quite a fuss on tumblr about it. it wasnt right then, it still isnt now.
>>
File: 1390074133110.jpg (101 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1390074133110.jpg
101 KB, 1920x1080
>>8666923
I don't have the cosplay pictures on hand but I KNOW I've seen Japanese girls do this guy a handful of times. His dark skin is something that is mentioned in the anime and manga repeatedly.
>>
File: IijYN7Y.png (188 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
IijYN7Y.png
188 KB, 373x327
>>8666518
>a literal tranny nigger faggot
>>
>>8666354
So if I'm a "yellow person" (since you put an awful lot of stock into skin color) I can blackface all I want, right? Because blackface is associated with oppression of blacks by whitey, and I ain't white.
>>
ITT: a whole lot of white people typing "as a brown person..."
>>
Im going to throw my two cents into this.

Blackface isn't the same as painting yourself with makeup with the intent to do a character in cosplay justice because you want to be accurate. With all the talk lately about how black people and other minorities want to put the past behind them, but still keep in mind what has happened, but move forward as a society, a lot of you are reeeeeeally not letting people. Half the people screaming about this 'blackface' thing have no idea what it actually is and how it effected entertainment and individuals.

You can't preach about wanting a better and accepting society, but feel free to throw white people or other races under the bus any time you feel you have the audacity to misuse the so called 'race card' and throw 'racist' around like it were candy on individuals who aren't. You aren't deserved of recommendations after all these years. The tumblr warriors need to sit their asses down and really understand what they want out of their generation because, frankly, its not helping your black movement at all and instead stifling it.

If you want racism to stop them stop calling everything single thing racist when there is no racist intent just to make your ego feel good.
>>
File: 1390083593998.png (130 KB, 653x632) Image search: [Google]
1390083593998.png
130 KB, 653x632
>>8666942
>>
>>8666608
How is it a false equivalence?
>>
>>8666948
If you're American you can't because the sjws will get you. Japanese both don't give a fuck, don't have people who give a fuck, and don't speak enough English for sjws to attack them properly. The English speakers who also speak Japanese don't give a fuck either
>>
>>8666942
Dark skin in Japan just means you look like you got a suntan and aren't a pasty Asian
>>
>>8666954
ITT: Americans arguing about American sociopolitics.
>>
>>8666979
Dual chinese citizenship, bitches can't touch this

Didn't move from mainland China til I was 17.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>8666819
>this salt
>>
>>8666920
A professor showed us a video of some Central American carnaval yesterday and I swear I saw a group of people in actual blackface, like shoe polish black. Nearly laughed out loud when I spotted them.
>>
>>8666984
Not really. Even when I tan (I'm Asian) there's only a certain shade I darken to. My cousins are multiple shades darker, tanned or not. There are certain descendance lines that are genetically darker (think Ainu for Japan). There's different issues involved; you can't just apply American politics to everything.
>>
File: 6876792435.png (133 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
6876792435.png
133 KB, 500x281
>>8666984
I think he's meant to be Okinawan but I can't recall if this was ever addressed within the series. Momoi calling him ganguro will always be funny to me.
>>
>>8666613
Oh no it is the dumb as fuck colored folks who are so far up their own asses that they don't realize the fallacies in their own statements.:^) Obvious tumblr or trolls.
How anyone disagrees is suddenly "white" or are "idiots"? Gtfo you ignorant fucks. Your kind are the reason racism is alive today. Fuck every last one of you crying racism over things like this when there is actual racism out there.
>>
>>8666312
>SJWs complaining about race on a mongolian drawing board
>playing a character is racist

don't you have Tumblr for this?
>>
I am the only one that feels like telling tanned people they are being racist is ridiculous and the SJWs are going over the line there, but does think body paint is a touch racist?
Like, I'm not going to send death threats over it or screech at people for it, but I don't know, it just feels in poor taste given the history of blackface.
I get people aren't doing to be racist, they are just doing it to more accurately portray a character, but it just seems really questionable and better avoided to me.
>>
>>8666570
How smart were you when you were 17 years old? What did you think back then that you know now is utter bullshit? There's a lot of impressionable and unsupervised teenagers out there.
>>
>>8667045
17 is well old enough to know that photographer does not need nudes to determine your body type. I would understand if they're 13-14, max 15, though.
>>
>>8666830
>People don't do it, because they know it's not okay

WRONG
People don't do it because they are constantly getting death threats. This whole shit is stupid, you're stupid so STFU stupid bitch.
>>
>>8666830
back to tumblr please
>>
>>8666852
No she got made fun of for being a light skinned POC.
>>
File: 1405980368976.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1405980368976.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>8667055
>>
Everyone should read this article about this subject.
It's written by Maguma and guess what? He's black and doesn't give a shit.
http://nerdreactor.com/2015/09/29/blacked-out-discussing-cosplay-black-face/
>>
If a white person were really racist, they wouldn't be trying to cosplay a black person, hell they wouldn't even like the character to begin with.
>>
Did anyone else see Yaya Hans SJW post on Facebook last night? So much hypocrisy!
>>
>>8667074
I'm furious that these types of articles get disregarded just because it doesn't agree with the majority. The majority isn't always right. Any POC that agrees with this article gets attacked by their own race. It is so stupid.
>>
>>8667101
If the majority of black people don't want you to blackface, you can't point to one black person and be like "He said he didn't care, that means it's a-okay for me to do".
>>
>>8666510
>>8666514
>>8666517
>>8666523
>>8666532
>>8666570
>>8667045

Fuck Bui and his familia group shit. I hope it blows up.
>>
>>8667107
It's not blackface.
>>
Someone post that cosplayer that white faces
>>
>>8667094
>yaya pandering
That's not news.
>>
>>8667025
>dumb as fuck colored folks
Way to prove >>8666332 right
>>
>>8666477
Everybody uses bronzer for contouring so you're all fucking racists
>>
File: ngbbs4f4f0c1ca1841.jpg (45 KB, 557x418) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs4f4f0c1ca1841.jpg
45 KB, 557x418
Daily reminder that dark skinned people in anime are just white/asian with darker skin and that black people are portrayed like this
>>
>>8667107
Right? Of course you'll find 5 people who agree with you. Instead of hunting down as many people as possible who agree with you, Google it for 30 seconds and you'll see studies and shit on why this shouldn't be done. Its negative effects are not up for debate.

It's like smoking. Yeah it's your choice, and some people like it, but it's factually harmful and most people don't want it done around them.
>>
>>8666532
Rot in hell, Bui. You've been this disgusting piece of shit for too long now and it feels so fucking good no one will stand for it anymore.
>>
>>8666332
>Believing people are entitled to respect you because of your race.
Go back to tumblr
>>
>>8667094
Her whole post turned into a giant pity me sob story.

>I'm afraid to cosplay because I'm fat
>I'm afraid to cosplay because I'm black
Yaya: Don't listen to anyone and do what you love and want, don't listen to anyone!

>I want to tan my skin for cosplay
Yaya: No you can't do that because it hurts others feelings, you need to listen to everyone.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 1920x1080
>>8667131
>white/asian
Don't delude yourself, white people in anime look like this. The only time they're cute is when they're girls and then they're blonde with big boobs.
>>
>>8666830
I don`t do it because I`m too lazy to learn how to. That`s it. The only reason
>>
>>8666608
What is sarcasm, ya moron?
>>
>>8666312
I don't think it's racist but it typically looks bad/unnatural
>>
>>8667134
>comparing tanning your skin for a cosplay to smoking

these sjws i swear
>>
>>8666614
Denying someone that they're a minority is racist
>>
File: rally & minnie.jpg (113 KB, 630x414) Image search: [Google]
rally & minnie.jpg
113 KB, 630x414
>>8667155
I just don't understand the idea of having a hair and makeup show without trying to match skin tone. So are tumblr people with neon blue hair racist to japanese because that's the way they're portrayed in anime?
>>
>>8666555
Checked. Nice.
>>
Richard T. Bui tried the same thing to a close friend of mine, fuck Bui!
He should be thrown in Jail.
>>
>>8666698
>prove it

Fucking racist
>>
>>8667172
I was only pointing out that anime white people look way different than the anime characters people like to assume are "supposed to be" white. You can always tell when an anime character is supposed to be white compared to everyone else because they'll be blonde haired and blue eyed and (if male) have strong features.

Also if you desperately want to change your skin color, go for it, but you'll probably get mobbed by angry SJWs from tumblr. I think it basically always looks bad/tacky, and it's about as practical as being a Homestuck - you're going to smear makeup everywhere. Call it accurate all you want, it looks like you're caked in makeup rather than looking more like the character.
>>
>>8667151
Fuck, I hate yaya
>>
>>8667074
Matt doesn't know shit, don't give his sorry ass anymore pandering
>>
>>8666998
You speak English so you don't get the same immunity to sjws. If they know you can understand them and you "cosplay blackface omg" they would totally get on you.
>>
>>8667019
He was playing street ball in America so they probably think hehe caught the black from them
>>
>>8667179
Wow, fuck that guy.
>>
>>8666586
wait...did some little tumblr twit really throw a fit over them not tagging a pomegranite as "gore"? It's a damn fruit! Wow what is wrong with kids, "oh this makes me mildly uncomfortable it triggers me!" Do they not know what a damn trigger is? I wish the word "squick" was still in use, because 98% of the time people are bitching about things they find mildly uncomfortable, not something that sets off actual PTSD.
>>
People who aren't black trying to say what is and isn't racist to black people when they've never experienced racism themselves...

Get the fuck out of here. You are unqualified to speak on the matter
>>
>>8666653
Are these the chicks who busted in on that Sanders rally? I found that incredibly rude. There's a time and a place for everything.
>>
>>8666777
>>8666803
>>8666673

oh my god, thank you.
>>
>>8666839
Oh hey, that's one of my favorite movies.
>>
File: hetalia.jpg (71 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
hetalia.jpg
71 KB, 720x540
>>8666863
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being upset because it's in super bad taste. Pic related
>>
>>8667045
I've had to deal with my share of perverts at that age and I can assure you I knew that someone asking for nudes is bad business.

The nudes could happen if the 17 year old is extremely gullible yes. But one of the screenshots shows he asked a girl for multiple pics of her vagina so he can know what her pubes look like. How can anyone ever consider that relevant to a shoot where you'll be fully clothed? How oblivious can you be?
>>
File: 1392528272224.jpg (331 KB, 1413x2364) Image search: [Google]
1392528272224.jpg
331 KB, 1413x2364
>>8667200
But Aomine didn't live in America, you're probably thinking of Kagami who did live in the US for a couple years.
>>8667155
>>The only time they're cute is when they're girls and then they're blonde with big boobs.
Pic related, more Basugay coming your way.
>>
>>8667279
She's described it as being young and naive and stupid (and of you've ever read her other posts she definitely has some stupid going on). She's one of those hyperactive nerd girls.
>>
>>8666396
>I am brown and I legitimately couldn't give a flying fuck if someone of a non brown or black race wants to go all out in order to recreate the image OF A FICTIONAL FUCKING CHARACTER.

You can give excuses for others unacceptable behavior, talk shit about "black people vs. niggers" and generally act like a genuflecting piece of shit all you want, but I just want you to know that whitey will never accept you as one of their own no matter how many other afro-americans you throw under the bus.
>>
>>8666312
If you know people may feel offended by something you do, why do it at all?
>>
>>8667166
tanning is fine and anyone complaining about tanning needs to stfu, it's the body paint most people are more upset about.
>>
>>8667306
It's is fundamentally impossible to go through life without offending people.

You'd be naive to think otherwise.

But there's a difference between something that is factually offensive and something that is personally offensive based on individual opinion.

It's not universally agreed whether imitating a characters skin colour is one or the other.
>>
>>8666934
And if she went as a white Guinevere, people would just be pissed off at them going by the old stories and not acknowledging the wonderful black actress they got for the show.
>>
>>8667338
Nothing is going to universally agreed on, but enough people find it troublesome, it'd be worth avoiding it.
You don't need to darken your skin with make-up / body paint to cosplay a character well.
>>
>>8667340
And we reach a circular argument where racially accurate cosplayers should have the monopoly on characters sharing their race.

Which is a fundamentally racist principle.

So it seems if you change your skin colour to match a character, you're racist.

If you cosplay outside your skin colour, you're racist.
>>
>>8667338
It's perfectly possible to go through life without painting your face brown or black. When you do that, you choose to offend.
>>
>>8667352
You don't need to wear a wig. You don't need to make your own cosplay. You don't need a lot of things.

But without every single person (of every race) voting on the matter there's no basis for statements like 'enough people find it troublesome'.

Because how can you define enough?

If every minority opinion agreed it was offensive it might hold more weight than the number of 'POC' opinions where they either don't care or don't think it's racist.

So surely making a bulk opinion is fundamentally racist that ignores someone.

Therefore it can be stated that the whole thing is entirely a matter of personal opinion.

And the principle of 'don't like, don't look' then applies?
>>
>>8667358
Actually what you're choosing to do is portray a character. However you'll probably have to acknowledge that it's going to offend someone.

But then I know people who think they own certain characters. It offends them if I cosplay those characters. But that's not why I'm doing it.

Therefore the principle argument of 'don't do it because it might offend someone' appears to be more limiting than liberating.
>>
>>8667340
>>8667354

I don't know, I'm sure there's people that would take offense to cosplaying outside your race, but I think a lot of the SJWs that hop all over changing your skin color would be cool with it.
After all, it doesn't take away representation or anything because if a white girl cosplays Korra, for example, that doesn't stop say, a native american girl from cosplaying Korra at the same con.
>>
>>8667363
The thing you have to ask yourself is, is the fun you get from painting your face dark worth making people feel bad?
>>
>>8667358
Everything you do can and probably will offend people.

You can go your entire life without having a pet dog, so you adopting one is you choosing to offend Muslims.

Every action will offend somebody, so it becomes a question of how offensive it is versus how useful it is.

Your argument does not stand, whether or not it is racist.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.