[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sewing Machines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: Sewing Machine.jpg (9 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
Sewing Machine.jpg
9 KB, 435x435
Hey /cgl/
I want to learn how to sew better so I've been thinking of buying a sewing machine. What's the best machine for beginners? Also every time I go thrifting I always see a couple of machines that look like they're in decent condition, but not sure if I should buy used or get a brand new one.
What machines do you use?
>>
The potential for a vintage machine from a thrift store to be a good buy is fairly good. Just really look it over, make sure the needle plate is undamaged, make sure the hand crank moves everything, ensure you've got the power cord and cable. Call the local sewing shop and ask how much a tune up on a non computerized machine is. It's usually fairly cheap. I've been sewing on vintage sewing machines for 3 years and hate sewing on modern ones, only do it when I'm using the embroidery machine. The low end models like the one you posted won't sew through many layers and you won't get probably more than a year. So either save up for a janome or buy vintage.
>>
Janome and Kenmore are my go to machines, especially older models. They're meant to last, and easy to fix.
>>
>>9090861
Noted. Actually about to hit up a couple of thrift shops so I'll look for the things you talked about. I think I want to practice with small projects before actually trying anything serious so I'll go with vintage for now. Once I'm more confident with my skills then I'll buy a newer one.
>>
If you want computerized, Brother has some basic models that aren't super expensive but also won't die within a year. If you're okay without those extra functions, I've heard good things about the Janome Magnolia (I've got a higher-end computerized Janome, love it).

Thrift store machines are sometimes worth it, but expect to spend another $100 or so getting it cleaned/oiled/adjusted. But the older all-metal ones will last a long time if maintained.
>>
File: 20160608_005845.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160608_005845.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
This is my sewing machine. A
Vintage Singer 201. I've had it for 5 years and have never had to take it in to the shop once for any problems. I take her in once every two years for a 'spa day' (tune up, oil).
I recommend it to everyone that wants a simple, low maintenance machine. It only sews forward and backwards but it sews better than the $1500 Bernina machine I got rid of.

I got mine out of an old ladies attic and paid $150 to get it in working condition. It didn't even need parts, just cleaned and oiled.
For about a $250 investment you will have a machine that will literally last your entire life.
>>
Seconding an inexpensive Brother machine.

Another option, if you're willing to spend a bit more, is Husqvarna. I learned to sew on my exgf's super high end Brother machine (one of the ones with a freaking ipad-sized touchscreen) and when we broke up I got a deal on a Husky 100Q. It's a really nice little machine and just as good at traditional sewing as the 10x as expensive Brother. (Obviously it lacks all of the crazy features like embroidery etc. though.)
>>
>>9090825
I own that one in the picture that you posted. Bought it two years ago for like $80 when I started getting into sewing and it surprisingly hasn't shat on me yet, so I'd recommend it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I'm just some dude that's never used a sewing machine in his entire life that bought a "brother" from Walmart for 75$ and some change (after tax). I watched the first bit of the dvd and read the instruction manual to learn basic stitching. And now I'm just slowly learning but by bit by looking up mini tutorials on how to make frills n stuff. I guess my advice is buy a 60$ machine from Walmart. It's pretty great! Bought it to finish some stuff for Otakon and it's helped a ton and is worth every penny in the long run since they last a LONG time.
>>
File: mybrother.png (2 MB, 948x1263) Image search: [Google]
mybrother.png
2 MB, 948x1263
>>9091075
Sorry idk why the pic rotated. But yeah id recommend a Brother. It even came with a DVD that explains everything. And when i didnt understand things in the DVD, the booklet helped and explained in very simple helpful ways and provided pictures.

Before tax it was like 69.00 (yeee) and came to about 75 something after tax. They sell them at Walmart. It has a ton of features that i have yet to use but it was worth the money.

I wouldn't buy a thrift/used sewing machine because there is always that paranoia of it breaking. If i were to spend a lot of money on a sewing machine id just get a new one, and if it didn't work out id just return it,which i didnt have to since the instructions are idiot-proof.

Its a great feeling, especially if youve spent the last 6-7 years hand sewing everything. My main advice is practice with the thread tensions and stitch dial.
>>
>>9090825
I have this machine; the first one shat on me and I think the band inside it snapped in around 5 months, but it was also a refurbished one. I bought another since it was cheap and I needed an extra sewing machine for when I was in school; it's still pretty solid. Not a bad beginner's machine; just remember it isn't made for sewing through very many layers and if you do try to force it to, go slowly.
>>
>>9090861
Seconding this, I'm a complete newbie to sewing on a machine and my Aunt let me borrow her old Jones (the company that was bought out by Brother) machine and it's working alright. It's from the early 80s and was hardly used. I think machines and other stuff like that were built to last back then.
>>
>>9091010
And sew through anything. That machine is beautiful, anon! I'm itching to add a 201 to my collection.
>>
>>9093411
Thank you!
This one is specifically a 201-2, which is beltless. It is stronger and quieter! Highly recommend spending the extra $100 or so for it. Every time I take her into a repair shop for a tune-up the repair man will fawn over it.
>>
>>9091010
201's are among the best machines ever built. It's a pity that consumers got distracted by number of stitches and other faff that most people don't use 99% of the time.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.