[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Highscohol salutatorian here. Being an /r9k/ robot, I have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: m.png (545 KB, 558x980) Image search: [Google]
m.png
545 KB, 558x980
Highscohol salutatorian here. Being an /r9k/ robot, I have no idea where or how to approach the oncoming days of my life... I haven't the slightest idea what I'd like to major in. My education is completely paid for by merit scholarships... So, computer science, education, history? These are all things that catch my interest... What major would allow me to escape the 'rat race' mentioned in Rich Dad, Poor Dad? [spoiler]The army[/spoiler]?

And yeah... I graduate today a friendess and kissless loser... It seems as if I've fucked up in life...
>>
>>1267462
Finance - you learn a useful hard/soft skill that can't be automated and get to bang hotties in uni.

Comp sci and engineering is a fucking meme unless you wanna be an entrepreneur yourself. And even then, you gotta have startup capital (not as much as for other businesses but still).
>>
>>1267462
>major
Did you even read Kiyosaki?

He specifically says that you should go to colleges with cheap tuition and learn skills you can immediately use, instead of a simple accreditation.

>>1267535
Getting a finance degree is a waste of time unless you're coming out of an ivy league. At least with CS/Engineering you're going to get a job regardless of where you graduate from. But if you want to "escape the rate race" than a 9-5 job is not the way to go.

Learning financial skills is far more useful. Figure out how you want to generate cashflow first (real estate, securities, or businesses) then attend some seminars (yes fucking seminars are where you'll learn this shit the fastest for least investment, sometimes for free if you look closely).

There is tremendous potential to generate passive income on the internet. The internet is basically the "new" real estate. So if you're already interested in CS you might want to go for that. Otherwise stick to real estate or securities (probably the latter if you're a robot). You *will* need capital, hopefully your merit scholarship will allow you save up some money that you can use to invest with, later.

Pick up some books, attend some seminars, i.e invest in yourself before you spend actual money
>>
It depends: What kind of person are you?

You can't succeed with a business degree if you're the stereotypical 4chan autist. Comp Sci, on the other hand, guarantees you'll be doing the same thing for the rest of your life but that you'll also have an upper-middle class lifestyle as well.
>>
>>1267554
>At least with CS/Engineering you're going to get a job regardless of where you graduate from.

These jobs don't lead to a share of the profits unless you go the startup lottery way (joining as a prole).

Furthermore as a software developer, vast majority of companies view you as a cost. The moment you can be replaced remotely - you will be. At least in finance soft skills matter. Look, its not as bad as standing near the grill at the local McD, but its not the way to good money.
>>
>>1267554
>tremendous potential to generate passive income on the internet

this is bullshit. there is no real "passive income" everything gets old quickly on the internet. you might make a bit of passive money from something you created for a year, then everyone will move on to the next thing. if you want to make a income equivalent to a full time job on the internet, you need to be constantly working and creating.
>>
>>1267582
Then what do you recommend? Teachers are well-respected, but they don't earn much in way of pay. At least as a Software Dev/Coder I could engineer my own game and play the Steam Greenlight lottery....
>>
>>1267597
>At least as a Software Dev/Coder I could engineer my own game and play the Steam Greenlight lottery....

If entrepreneurship is how you see your career then go for it. Just don't end up being some bald loser supporting cobol in an SP500 and counting down the days till the guillotine falls.
>>
>>1267612
Im just worried that Im not making the right choice to attend a 2yr college. The fact that Ill not experience campus life does not bother me, its the imminent failure and inability to find a job in my supposed meme degree that does.
>>
>>1267596
>2016
>this much coping
>>
>>1267582
then don't fucking do jobs that can be outsourced

If you're gonna be a shitty Java EE developer thats your problem

Degrees also offer things you guys don't/barely consider. It's not always about money only, you get the possibility to work in research and learn interesting stuff.

I'd kill myself if I was one of the millions of economics or finance majors
>>
Tldr

Fuck off r9k

This isn't your board
>>
>>1267663

CS will find you a job, independent of how shitty you are. Even as a CS failure you'll probably get a job.

For the cool, better paid stuff which is actually interesting instead of robot/indian work, you have to show some effort

These guys here seem extremely obsessed with the idea of investing, don't base your choice on that
>>
>>1267462
first don't go to CC, go to a real college.
the rest will work it's self out
>>
>>1268026
What is wrong with two year colleges? I planned on taking up two and completing my other two years via transfer.
>>
>>1268145
The problem with 2-years varies.
They're obviously a cheap way to get your shitty gen-eds out of the way.

The issue is when you're going for a STEM major. Many STEM programs have classes that double-count for the major and for the G.E. If you covered all of your GEs in community college then you wasted part of your 2 years and are forced to take the double-counting class anyway. This depends on how stiff your advisors are.

Of course the best option is to take your shitty GEs at community colleges during the summer.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.