[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that cats are so useless while dogs have so much potential?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15
File: K-9_Andy.jpg (3 MB, 1937x1291) Image search: [Google]
K-9_Andy.jpg
3 MB, 1937x1291
Why is it that cats are so useless while dogs have so much potential?
Are cats just less mentally capable than dogs?
>>
>>2094964
While cats were easy to domesticate, dogs were much easier to teach directions to because they have a herd mentality, which means they rely on one another to survive.
>>
>>2094967
>they have a herd mentality, which means they rely on one another to survive.

no they don't. canis lupus familiaris does not naturally form herds or packs, rather confederacies that come and go nebulously.

dogs are more intelligent than cats, more neotonized than cats (meaning they need us more) and have evolved one of their hearing-related brain areas so that it only activates when it hears human speech.

dogs are the only animals that have a brain region for understanding human speech. dogs are human symbiotes. dogs go with humans, not dogs, naturally.
>>
Dogs were bred down to be retarded and reliable on humans. They're like retarded kids, basically happy to do anything and easy to please.
>>
File: 1459032581501.jpg (553 KB, 3152x4264) Image search: [Google]
1459032581501.jpg
553 KB, 3152x4264
Same reason monkeys, apes, pigs, dolphins, and ants have more potential than dogs. Because that's how nature intended it you stupid fucking twat farmer.
>>
>>2094969
Dogs have grown to depend on humans.

They subjugate themselves to be tolerated in our societies and the lucky ones find a human host.

No animal is so dependent on humans as the dog, and no animal requires so much from humans
>>
File: 112740959.jpg (16 KB, 508x338) Image search: [Google]
112740959.jpg
16 KB, 508x338
>>2094964
Because cats are naturally autistic, OP
>>
>>2094982
>that's how nature intended it

Nature doesn't intend anything.
>>
>>2095039
yes it does you fag. you intended to make that post and I intended to reply.
now fuck off.
>>
>>2095042
That's completely different, fuckhat.
>>
>>2094964
Because we don't need cats to sniff bombs.
>>
>>2095049
if we'd stop it with the imperialism and colonialism we would not need dogs to do it either.
>>
>>2094982
This
>>
>>2095045
no it isnt you semen demon.
>>
>>2094994
>>>2094969
>No animal is so dependent on humans as the dog, and no animal requires so much from humans
Food animals given their current breading are more dependent on humans than dogs.
>>
>>2095081
Are dogs not food animals?
>>
>>2094994
You're retarded
Stray dogs for packs all throughout eastern Europe and Russia
In the absence of competition for its biological niche, dogs do fine without humans
>>
File: 1459720057273.png (251 KB, 909x926) Image search: [Google]
1459720057273.png
251 KB, 909x926
>>2095064
Go back to plebbit
>>
>>2095076

> "nature intended "
> "it didn't "
> "as I intended to respond, and so did you, nature did "
> comparing his intentions to mother nature
> comparing his person to mother nature

You're that special stupid. Don't worry about them if they say you're dumb as fuck, you're a special little star.
stay based

(nature asked if you could store the coke in the fridge nature doesn't want it too hot )
>>
>>2095113
Those have no structure, no stability, no real union. They are hardly more than a bunch of dogs hanging together for slight comfort.
>>
>>2095116
>implying that was even a reddit opinion
>implying "back to le reddit" isn't just the new "back to le tumlbr"
>>
>>2095039
yeah this
>>
Dogs are useless at slashing the local bird population. Thanks to my two I never have to deal with an incessant dawn chorus when I have a hangover.
>>
File: 23d.jpg (22 KB, 482x482) Image search: [Google]
23d.jpg
22 KB, 482x482
>>2095156
>>
>>2095202

>no one replies for hours
>posts a this is bait picture

Yes. Thank you, we got it.
>>
Well cats are not useless, cats have incredible hunting ability and were very useful back in the day, rats and mice spread diseases that would kill your ass and they'd eat all your shit, having an animal that asks only for a bit of food water and shelter and is x10000 more effective at pest control than you are was very useful. Cats today are mostly for companionship but you can be sure if you get a mouse or rat in your apartment your cat will kill that mothafucka.

Dogs on the other hand have incredible synergy with humans in many fields, they can be trained to do almost anything in their ability and are very good at what they do. Take for example sheep dogs, a human can never hope to achieve livestock control like a group of border collies can. Then you have protection dogs such as the mastiffs which would die for you in a heartbeat if you are attacked or your family is attacked. And recently you have service dogs that help disabled people of all kinds, something dogs were never used for before but are very good at.

Cats and dogs both have their place in the human world.
>>
File: stoic snow dog.jpg (271 KB, 980x1303) Image search: [Google]
stoic snow dog.jpg
271 KB, 980x1303
The domestic dog is literally a gift from heaven. The canine / human partnership is a divine blessing, proof of man's dominion over animals. Science can't even explain the domestication of the dog, even though it's the sole reason humanity has gotten this far.

Cats are just pets. Dogs are friends.
>>
File: 1435212716471.png (1 MB, 1280x1834) Image search: [Google]
1435212716471.png
1 MB, 1280x1834
>>2094982
>>2095039
>>2095042
>>2095045
>>2095076
>>2095127
Fucking kek
>>
>>2095226
>Science can't even explain the domestication of the dog
You fukin wot m8
>>
>>2095226
>Science can't even explain the domestication of the dog,
With the help of modern osteology and biology, as well as the faunal remains from prehistorical human settlements, "science" can explain the domestication of ALL domesticated animals.

Most of them seem to follow a similar pattern, namely:
>wild animals flock around human refuse
>they gradually become more tolerant towards humans, essentially domesticating themselves
>humans realise that they can take advantage of this, beginning to utilise the semi-domesticated animals and exercising some degree of natural/sexual selection over them, for example by allowing the most docile animals to live longer
>animals begin to grow smaller and more docile, as evidenced by the faunal remains
>after they've become docile enough, the humans can control the animals entirely, exercising selective breeding in order to make the best use out of the animals
>meat animals gradually become larger and more meaty, labour animals like dogs grow stronger and develop traits desired by the humans
>the end
There's your explanation.
>>
So cats are mentally incapable because they lack powerfull sniffers like dogs?
Wow.
>>
>>2094994
fuck off. a cow and chicken would die in the wild. at dog at least has skills to survive
>>
>>2095258
You ever make eye contact with a cat? One, they'll avoid it. Or two, they proceed to stare blankly.

Dogs on the other hand, have emotion that you can see. I've had dogs lock eyes with me and do anything from start quick stepping and liking their lips because I'm talking in a high voice, to bearing their teeth at me because I'm walking by their home and they don't know me.

There’s variation there. With cats, that's rare.
>>
File: 1454376195308.jpg (50 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1454376195308.jpg
50 KB, 640x640
>>2095127
>not comparing everything to mother nature
If i'm a special stupid then you must be my homosexual clone.
>>
Cats are fucking tiny and stubborn.
They also spend the majority of their time sleeping.
>>
>>2095258
Cats can smell somewhat near as well as dogs can and the rest of their senses are much stronger.
It's not really about that.
>>
>>2094964
Size? The fact that they're not a pack/social animal? The fact that they haven't been selectively breed for countless centuries to be a biological tool? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. It's not like we magically found dogs in their current state as a gift to mankind from a higher power.

There are no pack/social felines of similar size to wolves that humans were able to domesticate. They're either all too big, and thus regarded man as prey, or solitary, and thus hard to integrate into human society. Also, dogs hardly have the impact you think they do on our species. Burden and farm animals were infinitely more integral to our survival and progress, dogs were, and remain a utility animal.
>>
they just cba with anything
>>
>>2094982
where can i learn to farm twats?
>>
>>2094964
>>2096969
>where can i learn to farm twats?
OP's house
Where the humans are less mentally capable than cats
>>
>>2095736
>You ever make eye contact with a cat? One, they'll avoid it. Or two, they proceed to stare blankly.

cats have completely different forms of vision from dogs and tend to rely on peripheral vision more.
>>
Why is it that Dogs are so stupid while Crows have so much potential?

Are Dogs just less mentally capable than a bird?

Oh right, they are. Caw caw motherfucker.
>>
>>2097943
Dogs are domesticated. The domestication have made them docile and dependant on humans, forgetting how to think for themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crows have potential". It's true that corvids have developed ape-like intelligence and cognition independently from actual apes, but I can't see what "potential" you see in this. If we try to domesticate them(which will take millennia, I should add), they will become just as stupid as the dogs.
>>
>>2095243
I love how one of the only sensible reply of this thread remains ignored
>>
Cats aren't dependent to one another, they're solitary creatures. Without humans most domesticated cats can easily go back to a more feral state and eventually lead to a wild community. This is, however if the cats in hand weren't some $2000 inbred squishface, such as a persian.
>>
>>2095736
I make eye contact with my cats all the time, they communicate a lot with their eyes. We blink slowly at each other. If I want to play, I give a wide-eyed stare, then move my head slightly. If she returns the stare, it means she wants to play. Then I dive behind something and we "stalk" each other and try to surprise one another. They can express love, contentment, playfulness, excitement, fear, and interest with their eyes and ear position. I have to rely on the eyes with my cat, because she has no tail.

Just because you don't read cat body language doesn't mean it's not there. It's likely that you get the response you get because they're either not comfortable with you, or they're waiting for you to do something else other than stare.

I have a similar problem, where I just don't get dog body language. I've misread dogs pretty badly in the past (fear behavior looked strikingly similar to play behavior), it doesn't come naturally to me. Cats make more sense to me.
>>
>>2097972
Wrong board

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>2098017
How very dare you.
>>
>>2098017
i read that post up and down but i found no trace of misogyny. you sure you alright?
>>
>>2098077
Will we ever be alright?
>>
DOGS ARE NOT DEPENDANT ON HUMANS YES THEY HAVE EVOLVED TO DEVELOP A SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE THEY STILL HOLD MOST OF THEIR NATURAL INSTINCTS AND PROVE TO BE DECENT HUNTERS AND SURVIVORS OUT IN THE WILDS.
>>
>>2095064
Silly minority

The British Empire ruling over the lesser apes was the best time to be the tiny island off europe
>>
>>2095013
>Naturally Autistic
XD
>>
>>2095140
that was a pretty reddit tier post dude, i bet it would have gotten a lot of upvotes on r/berniesanders

cats aren't dumb, they are just fucking useless and don't give a shit. dogs are intelligent and have good companion qualities. maybe slightly less intelligent thank cats, but think about it: would you prefer some neet neckbeard with 120 IQ that collects government cheques, or a slightly dumber 100 IQ firefighter that saves lives?

im biased towards dogs because im allergic to cats but it's pretty impossible to argue that cats are useful beyond pest control on like... a farm. not to mention you could use a dog for that and much more.
>>
>>2097972
>able to read cat body language
>likely incapable of reading human facial expressions

priorities i guess
>>
>>2099942
Nah, I'm not actually autistic, I was just raised with cats and not dogs. So I picked up on some things after a lifetime of being around cats.

>inb4 toxoplasmosis
>>
>>2096969
double 69
Anon's getting the licc tonight
>>
>>2097972
shouldn't autistic people be posting in /r9k/?
>>
>>2099972
/r9k/ is for people that hate women and can't accept responsibility for their own actions. All of 4chan is for autists.
>>
>>2099938
dogs also kill people
>>
>>2099938
I'm pretty darn sure dogs are smarter than cats. I remember that there was a study where they tried to get a cat to push a button to open his cage and get the food, and the cat never 'realized' that pressing the button opened the cage, there was never an 'aha' moment in his brain, he just kinda over time had a higher frequency of wandering to the corner of the cage that had the button and accidentally stepping on it.

And it seems that you are trying to impose a 'brain vs brawn' binary in your argument? That seems very incorrect and unfounded
>>
File: 1460312991866.png (177 KB, 664x520) Image search: [Google]
1460312991866.png
177 KB, 664x520
>>2100615
So do people, bby.
>>
>>2095226
>Science can't even explain the domestication of the dog

lol
>>
>>2100615
humans enslaved by catshit brain parasites (toxoplasma gondii worms) die far more often than humans killed by dogs.

The parasite Toxoplasma gondii infects 30–60% of humans worldwide. Latent toxoplasmosis, i.e., the life-long presence of Toxoplasma cysts in neural and muscular tissues, leads to prolongation of reaction times in infected subjects.

Toxoplasma is known to induce specific behavioural changes in infected rodents. Observed decreases in motor performance, learning capacity, neophobia, and fear, and increases in activity, and reaction times are usually considered evolutionary adaptations of the parasite that facilitate the transmission from intermediate to definitive host (typically from rodents to cat) by predation. Human latent toxoplasmosis leads to prolongation of reaction times and changes in personality profiles

The result suggests a significantly higher seroprevalence in the traffic accident set (Chi2MH = 21.45, p < 0.0001). The value of the odds ratio (OR) suggests that subjects with latent toxoplasmosis had a 2.65 (C.I.95= 1.76–4.01) times higher risk of a traffic accident than the toxoplasmosis-negative subjects.
>>
Because

Dogs = worker pets, a perfect companion for plebians
Cats = creatures designed for maximum chillaxation, a choice for matured/sophisticated individuals
>>
>>2100857
100% this.
>>
File: catlady.jpg (115 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
catlady.jpg
115 KB, 500x625
>>2100857
>matured/sophisticated individuals

ayy lmao
>>
>>2102111

So, owning multiple dogs is acceptable, but owning multiple cats makes people crazy?
>>
>>2102175
There's less "Crazy Dog People" than "Crazy cat people". That said, I have seen crazy dog people. If you have more than 3 dogs and act like a crazy cat lady, you are a crazy dog person.
>>
>>2094969
all of what you said may be correct, but you sound like a massive faggot.
>>
>>2094982
Don't forget crows
>>
>>2102175
I think there's a difference between just "multiple cats" and having 10 cats.
>>
File: tumblr_n50wqmpAa21s07c4wo4_500.png (144 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n50wqmpAa21s07c4wo4_500.png
144 KB, 500x375
Why is there an eternal rivalry between cat people and dog people? They're both amazing animals.
>>
File: 1446215396145.png (18 KB, 379x214) Image search: [Google]
1446215396145.png
18 KB, 379x214
>>2094964

Cats have their strong points, but it doesn't apply to a domestic setting. For example, cats are some of the most dominant fighters on the plant. A mountain lion will kill wolves on a regular basis. It's nothing. They won't even get scratched. You don't want to fuck with a real cat. That is where cats shine (aside from being cute) .... needless to say, being awesome in battle serves no purpose in a domestic setting. Killing the local birds and squirrels just tends to piss people off and be gross.

So, they're not useless. It's the "Time and a place" thing.

Dogs are much better suited for domestication. Not to say they're a better animal in general, but they are definitely man's best friend. With horses following in second (in my opinion).
>>
File: 1435008347775.jpg (254 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1435008347775.jpg
254 KB, 1024x768
>>2102366
>fighters on the plant.

I should really proofread. Pic related.
>>
>>2094994
>No animal is so dependent on humans as the dog, and no animal requires so much from humans

We're talking about domestic partnerships, not life-in-the-jungle. These animals are breed for life with humans - to rely on humans, and work for them. A give-and-take relationship is expected and encouraged. Even feral cats will keep a barn free of mice in exchange for food. Everyone wins.

I always described dogs as being simply "more." ... They are more work, but more rewarding. The can do more for you, but require more care. That's why it's okay to have cat and dog people. Cats are less - and that includes less work. Some people like that. To each their own.
>>
>>2102362
Because people look for any excuse to feel superior over someone else. It's common behavior.
>>
>>2095243
Explain how this applies to aurochs.
>2 metres tall and over a ton of permanently enraged bovine muscle, horn, and hoof
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.