[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /an/imals, My sweet girl had to be let go two days ago at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1459019401870.png (412 KB, 537x473) Image search: [Google]
1459019401870.png
412 KB, 537x473
Hi, /an/imals,
My sweet girl had to be let go two days ago at the age of 6--cancer was killing her. It was the most heartbreaking experience of my life and has left a rift inside my heart because she was just that special to me. Moving forward, I can't help but think that maybe her handlers (the breeders) didn't understand their role, breeding, social/behavioral ques of the species/breed, and thereby neglected some fundamental/developmental need which lead to a compromised immune system and ultimately a malignant cancer. So, I've decided that I should become a breeder to ensure every puppy receives the absolute best care possible.
I've lived with dogs my whole life (26 years) and in particular rottweilers but that's as far as my qualifications go.
Any serious /an/imals have experience breeding that can tell me where to begin? It's obviously not as simple as just letting two dogs fuck and then selling puppies.
Pic unrelated
>>
>>2096533
Cont.

My goal is to become one of the nation's--if not then the world's, foremost breeder of rottweilers. When people come to me looking to buy a rottie pup then I want them to know they're not just buying a product I'm selling, they're buying a piece of my heart and soul. I want people to just KNOW by the conditions my rottie families live in that they're cared for beyond necessity and any puppy purchased from my kennel is given the absolute best possible start to life.
Ultimately, I'd also like to have a plot of land large enough to house any puppies that may not be purchased, so they can continue their lives and still have the best possible care available.
>>
So you're going to help by adding more dogs to an already overpopulated dog population as well as potential bad owners?
>>
>>2096533
>>2096535
Well, your heart is in the right place, just make sure your head is as well. Do your research, embrace the internet and use it for all its worth. Check in to local dog clubs and spend some time with reputable breeders, ask lots of questions.
Be prepared to take some flak from this board about wanting to be a BYB, it's going to be said it's the nature of the board. Remember if you're going to post on 4chan you better have thick skin.
>>
>>2096540
Yeah, I'm not puppy-milling.
My females will birth a litter once every 1.5years, my puppies won't be cheap, and I'll raise/house/vet them on my own dime.
So, I'm not exactly adding to any overpopulation when I'm the one caring for every last pup I house.
When a female gets adequate time to recover her birthing process typically gets stronger and the pups themselves also benefit from a healthy mother.
As far as pricing, I'd wager that people looking for lawn ornaments or things to abuse won't be willing to pay and certainly won't sign a release with stipulations against them should they decide to do those things.
I'm talking top quality, AKC certified, OFA verified, intensive genetic research on the breeding pair, and all so the puppies can be as close to being born without genetic faults like hip-dysplasia or IMHA.
>>
>>2096541
I understand that some people might see it as BYB, but that's not where I'd even start. I'd gather a decent amount of money and maybe pull a loan so I could move somewhere that i can snag a large plot of land for relatively cheap.
I care far too much about my dogs and dogs in general to allow them to live in poor conditions.
>>
>>2096547
Where you need to start is by gathering information. Again, spend time with reputable, quality breeders. It doesn't have to be rot breeders either. You really need to see first hand what you will be getting in to, because you can get over your head very fast.
Research local dog clubs in your area, talk to good breeders, maybe even volunteer with a litter. Talk to your local vets. Information online is great, but its nothing compared to hands on. Once you have a plan, and are comfortable taking on this responsibility then look for land. You better have a good paying job as well because to be the breeder you want to be you won't be making any money at first, if at all.
How long have you been wanting to do this? Surely this isn't an emotional knee jerk reaction brought on by the loss of your pet.
>>
Rottweilers are genetically predisposed to cancer. It's shitty and by no means a bad thing to work on as a breeder, but understanding social cues and development needs won't result in cancer-free dogs. It's a fairly slow process, complicated by the fact you will likely need to import dogs if you're looking for lines that have lower incidence/later onset of cancer, and the fact that you will not typically know if a particular bitch/sire will develop cancer early until they've already produced puppies.

I'd agree with spending more time with breeders in your area and getting involved in any societies or clubs. Concentrate on finding a really nice bitch who comes from a relatively long-lived line, and then show her or work her to a good standard, which will likely mean a couple of years before looking at breeding if she's healthy, successful in her field and temperamentally sound - using a carefully selected stud's services is likely a better option than simultaneously raising two Rottweilers, keeping them separate and hoping the dad will be worth breeding after all that. Don't be put off simply by the presence of cancer in your next dog's family- cancer is to some extent present in even genetically healthy ageing animal populations, and there is a world of difference between large dogs being diagnosed with cancer at 9 and living to 11, and dogs being diagnosed with cancer at 4 and dead before they're 6. You need to look at the types of cancer, incidence rates and the age of onset to judge whether it's a line that's best avoided.
>>
>>2096570
It's a bit of emotional decision but I'd call it an epiphany about what I'm meant to do--I'm in no way planning to do this in a short time or as a way of moving forward from my loss.
>>2096584
I only meant that maybe certain unnecessary stressors and the accompanying hormone response as a pup may have lead to certain negative genes becoming active.
Pure stipulation, i know.

I do appreciate the advice from both you and >>2096570 have given. I'm going to look into local clubs
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.