[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So comparatively, how are donkeys vs. horses for riding purposes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: horse and donkey.jpg (90 KB, 604x444) Image search: [Google]
horse and donkey.jpg
90 KB, 604x444
So comparatively, how are donkeys vs. horses for riding purposes?

I've heard lots of people say donkeys are very stubborn, but I imagine that's either due to lack of training, or maybe donkeys being not quite as willing to learn as horses-which I figure could be moved along with some positive encouragement.

Also, how much land and money do donkeys cost versus horses? Also considering in the vet charges, feed charges, if they need a partner/another animal to keep them happy, all that good stuff.
>>
Horses are better for riding, donkeys are cheaper to maintain. If you're a bigger person (over 175 lbs) you shouldn't even be considering riding a donkey unless it's a mammoth donkey (which are horse-sized).

Donkeys tend to be a bit more hardy but stubborn.

Mules are really where it's at. They're literally the perfect mounts. Perfect blend of strength, endurance, versatility, and loyalty. Plus they're more apt to kick the shit out of a predator (or even defend their rider from one) if they're ever attacked than flip their shit and run away like horses do.
>>
>>2091248
What if you weigh around 135-140?
>>
>>2091249
You're not too heavy for a donkey. Just use common sense and don't ride an animal that is clearly too small for you. Donkeys come in a wide variety of sizes, some are really not suitable for riding (although people ride them anyway because in general donkeys are treated worse than shit, particularly in third world shitholes). If your feet come off the ground at least 4-6 inches when you're on the animal's back, it's probably big enough for you to ride without hurting it at your weight.
>>
Horses can carry more weight per their body weight, but donkeys are smarter. Horses will run right off a cliff while donkeys are more likely to stop and refuse to go over
>>
Donkeys are harder to train because they're smarter than horses. Would you want some dumbass riding you around and kicking you in the ribs? Hell no! Horses will put up with that crap but a donkey will resist until you finally decide to get a horse.
>>2091248
Is right. Mules are cool. They're still smarter than horses but they're easier to train than donkeys. And they're super territorial and will protect you and all of your other animals and will chase dogs and coyotes off your property. Donkeys will protect too, but that's about all they're good for.
>>
>>2091241
So, the deal with donkeys and mules and the stereotypical "stubborn" thing is this:

Mules are hybrids. One donkey parent, one horse parent. So mules are half-donkey. Because of the way the genetics combine, mules more closely resemble their horse parent but their minds are more like the donkey parent.

Horses evolved in open country. If they saw something or heard something or even smelled a whiff of something that was alarming or unusual or even just a little different, they would take off running and not stop for a mile or three and then MAYBE they would be like, "Hm, I wonder what that was. Oh well, it's gone now." Also, if one horse takes off, the rest of the herd will often just react and take off with that one, on the assumption that somebody saw a need to run so, heck, better just run to be safe.

Donkeys, on the other hand, evolved in steep, rocky, hilly country. If they saw, heard, or smelled something unusual, they had to stop, observe, think, evaluate and THEN decide what action to take. You can't just blindly take off running in the rocky hillsides that donkeys lived on. Running in that sort of terrain could easily break a leg and then the donkey would be dead anyhow. So, if you're a donkey you don't run unless you decide that running is what's called for. Maybe you stand and fight and defend yourself because running is simply not possible. For this reason, donkeys also are not the blind followers that horses are. They don't stampede en masse the way horses do.

So donkeys evolved a strong need to observe and think and process and decide before acting. They have a comparatively strong independent nature and a need to think things through for themselves before committing to action.
>>
>>2091241
What this means for their interactions with people is that you will have a hard time rushing a donkey into action. It is a bad idea to strong-arm a donkey into something because, even if he decides that it is in his best interest to do what it is that you are trying to force him to do, he will now distrust you and will probably start plotting how to get rid of you.

They do remember and plot and they will kick the living shit out of you if they see an opportunity. Forcing a donkey or mule is not a good idea. The better method is to let them settle in and see that you're a nice guy who brings them food and water. Get them to trust you. Then they will be more likely to go along with your ideas, even if it isn't something they would otherwise be interested in doing.

A well-trained donkey or mule is a superior partner to a horse. But a poorly-trained donkey or mule will hospitalize you.

Donkeys and mules are hardier and require less feed than horses. In fact, lush grass will make a donkey sick... again, because of how and where they evolved. Donkeys evolved in arid climates with poor feed.
>>
>>2091603
>>2091609
Well, sounds like a donkey is the better option than. I like animals that have to think for themselves, because when you earn it's trust and respect, you often have a much closer bond and the animal does things either because it wants to, or it should-not because it HAS to. Its also one of the reasons working line german shepherds are my favourite dogs.

So I've heard a bit on personality, what about costs? They are herd animals, but do they need another donkey around? How would they be with say a few pigmy goats or something?

I can probably google the rest like fedd costs and land but it would be nice hearing some first hand experience too.
>>
>>2091693
They're cool with any other herd animal. Goats are great.
>>
>>2091693
You have to be careful introducing non-donkeys to a donkey. If they weren't raised around that species of animal, they might very well decide to attack it. Donkeys are territorial and will drive away unfamiliar animals on their home turf. Not exactly "defending" the familiar residents of their home, but only as an incidental side-effect of their being so territorial.

Donkeys that are raised with non-donkey livestock will readily accept those animals as companions, in lieu of other donkeys for company.

You can get free donkeys, particularly in the southwest. There are too many free-roaming feral donkeys on BLM land and they have to be rounded up and adopted out for next to nothing. But that's kind of a crapshoot for a novice donkey owner.

Speaking of which, if you're serious about this donkey thing, look for Longears enthusiasts' clubs. Maybe search for Teamdonk. Do a lot of reading. Buy some books. At this point you don't even know what you don't know.

Also, donks are loud as hell. Your neighbors might hate you.
>>
File: 14594894519690.jpg (135 KB, 960x699) Image search: [Google]
14594894519690.jpg
135 KB, 960x699
Why not both anon?

But really, my grandfather went from New York to the Grand Canyon on a mule. A couple actually, picture related him on the left.

Get a mule anon!
>>
>>2091241
Well ones a jackass and the other ones a bitch
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.