[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: german shepherd sable.jpg (150 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
german shepherd sable.jpg
150 KB, 640x426
Anything and Everythign related to dogs here.

They should make the chuck it toys completely edible, so when your done playing with your dog, you can hand them the toy and put the ball up.

I found a regular chuck it for $2, I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks for an edible one, especially if it was similar to a bully stick in that it's going to take them a while to chew through it.
>>
>how often are you taking the dog out and introducing it to new things? Also have you started basic training of it (sit, stay, come)?

I answered in previous thread. But I'll answer again and add on to it

I take him out every 30 minutes/hour. I introduce him to as many things as i can. Ove introduced him to my family, her family. 3 dogs so far, a bunch of cats. Trying to teach him to climb and descend stairs but no luck yet. Today he only had one accident in the house. His poop is a little runny from switching over to a new food. I have him on blue puppy rocky Mountain recipe now. He seems to really like it. I began teaching him sit but he doesn't like treats much so I can't do the thing where you give him a treat and put it over his head to where he sits. Also he sits all the time when he comes to you. Like he will walk over to me and immediately sit and look at me. He follows me everywhere. He was running around today which was cute. I took him outside and he didn't wander away from me without a leash. I ran from him and he just ran and caught back up to me. But I guess I need to find a different approach to teaching him sit and stay etc. I'm falling in love with this little guy
>>
>>2055983
That's a great idea. Do they make an edible option? If not you should try writing to companies. Tell them to give you money also
>>
>>2056014
Just keep in mind that he's going to need something to do while he's maturing/after he becomes an adult. If you don't give him something to do he will find something to do, and it will be destructive.
Also now's a good time to just take him around town introducing him to people/friendly dogs of all sizes on leash
>>
So where I live is full of shitty animal rights hippies and it costs nearly double to license my dog since he's got his balls.

How easy is it to lie when licensing your dog? How big of trouble can I get in?
>>
>>2056016
Heeey maybe
>>
>>2056024
I heard that with this breed they are great at agility exercises. I was thinking fetch/frisbee activities and there is a place that offers agility training to dogs so I was going to do that for him. Would you recommend anything for me and what age I should do this for him?

I took him to pets mart(where he got to meet the 3 dogs) just a bit ago to get a toy. There were 2 other puppies and they liked each other then there was a black lab and it was much bigger than him and when he saw the lab, he looks up at me, and runs the other way lol.
>>
>>2056029
Why the fuck would you need to license a dog? Never heard of this before
>>
>>2056067
>>2056029

Me either. Where the fuck do you live
>>
>>2056029
Probably pretty easy to lie about it unless your dog gets into some sort of trouble. 5 minutes north of me in a different state (US) my brother has to pay pet taxes, something like $10 for neutered $30 for un-neutered. Kinda stupid.
>>
>>2056067
People have basically ruined it for everyone else by taking shit care of their dogs, not fencing them in properly, or letting them breed too.

So areas where those things are rampant is usually where you are required to license your dog.
>>
File: Snapchat-5092003494947488391.jpg (726 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5092003494947488391.jpg
726 KB, 1440x2392
Why is my boxer doodle the best dog breed in the world
>>
>Well, anon... We bought a lab puppy. I sort-of hoped you would take care of it.
My shit parents decided to buy a lab puppy but apparently didn't intend to actually take care of it. I can't get rid of it, it's still not mine. My parents aren't planning on doing shit for him, and If I don't, it'll turn into an aggressive and neurotic mess just like their other dog. I'm already taking care of upwards of 20 animals on my own and I'm a student full time. What the fuck am I supposed to do for it? They're picking it up in five weeks.
>>
>>2056029
Neuter him, you prick. I'm glad that your regulations require you to license pets. I really think that should be a widespread policy. Everyone takes awful care of things.
>>
>>2056227
>Well, anon... We bought a lab puppy. I sort-of hoped you would take care of it.
>Are you fucking kidding me? I am not going to be responsible for an animal you buy without thinking. Either you don't get it, you look after it or it dies on your watch.
>>
>>2056247
I think you're missing the point. They're getting it and there's nothing I can do about it. They already paid and won't listen. What I'm asking is how I can make its life less shit, not how to talk them out of it.
>>
>>2056050
Agility is a very advanced activity, so you will start with basic obedience and work your way up from there. If your training club hosts agility competitions (as opposed to "agility for fun" classes), then likely you will be coached by experts, who can mold the early classes to fit the skill sets you and your dog will need when you eventually start work on agility. The physically intensive training can't start until after your dog's growth plates close (between 12-24 mo depending on the breed), giving you a good amount of time to perfect your handling and your dog's obedience.
>>
>>2056262
Wow, what a fucking pushover.
>>
>>2056262
say that if they don't properly care for the dog you're taking him to the shelter. end of story
>>
>>2056287
>>2056291
...You want me to illegally take a 900$ dog that isn't mine and give it away? I'm sorry me being disowned is a little more fucking important than a dog getting exercise. Just answer the question, you're not helping. If I don't get help, sucks for the fucking dog, because it's not going anywhere.
>>
>>2056295
tell the breeder about how they care for their old dog and how they won't even care for the pup. a breeder who charges that much for a dog likely wouldn't be okay with that
>>
>>2056267
Oh okay. I didn't know that. He is starting to understand 'No'. Like when he is biting me I'll say no, and he will stop and I'll give him a toy he is allowed to chew. I'm still trying sit but he doesn't have the attention span lol. We will get 1, maybe, two successful butt plants where I'll give him a treat and say good boy but then he will run off and do something else
>>
>>2056295
What do you want us to say then? One of us will come over and look after the pup for you?
>>
>>2056356
How old is he?
>>
My dog pays absolutely zero fucking attention to me outside at the park.
What do?
At home she always looks at me when I call her name, comes when I tell her to, give whatever's in her mouth when I say "give", sits, lays down and gets back up without a problem. On a leash around the block or off-leash in a backyard, same thing.
But at the park, she gives zero fucks and looks for noises and sticks to chew, even on leash. What do? She reacts like one time in twenty when I call her name, and she barely ever look at me straight in the eyes like she does at home.
>>
What are some breeds that are good temperament and health-wise?
>>
>>2056362
Look up training videos.
>>
My six months old pup just puked her last meal from 6~7 hours ago. She drank a bit.
What do I do now?
>>
>>2056360
8 1/2 weeks today
>>
I just adopted a 5 year old lab a week ago. He's a pretty chill dude, but he just sleeps a lot. He's not lethargic, but it looks like he's okay with not being walked. Is this normal?
>>
>>2056385
Fast a meal, and continue to monitor
>>
>>2056404
Well that was also her last meal of the day, around noon.
Do I skip tomorrow's morning meal or is a whole night enough of a fast?
>>
>>2056397
Give him time, he could be chill or he could be stressed from the rescue process. Feed him a high-quality diet, ideally raw or canned, and make sure to do at least a little exercise every day even if he doesn't seem that interested. Also, do your best to keep him lean. Studies show dogs who are kept 10% underweight tend to live longer, healthier lives.
>>
>>2056406
Feed 25% of what you'd normally feed and wait an hour, if she seems to be doing alright feed another 25%. If she's fine with that by the next meal, feed the normal amount.
>>
>>2056410

Thanks. I think that because he's a little older, he doesn't need that much exercise. He doesn't seem that stressed though; I've been able to leave him alone uncrated for 4 hours without any problems. I start work in a couple weeks, so I'm wondering what I can do to make it easier for him. I usually walk him in the mornings and evenings. He came from a foster that housed other dogs, but he seems to be at ease when we're all in the same room together.
>>
>>2056415
Start lengthening the time you're away, see how he does. If you can, temporarily set up a camera to see if he exhibits any signs of stress while you're away (pacing, licking, etc...)
>>
>>2056366
Shiba inu
Corgi
Collie
Australian shepherd

If you look for a very good breeder a lot of health problems are minimized.
You could also get a mutt
>>
>>2056366
>health
stay away from anything "long and low" dogs, brachycephalic ones, or giant breeds. if you go to a high end breeder then they would likely be healthy, but be prepared to spend well over 800 dollars and be on a long waiting list

>good temperament
any dog that's well socialized

sounds like you should just get a well socialized adult mutt from a rescue
>>
It's been a year since I took with me a dog from a kennel, bog chances that he's a border beagle, 4yo, one of the sweetest and smartest dogs I've ever seen, but there are two habits that worry me a little:

-he's a real chicken-heart, and while he's completely comfortable around humans, he's really timorous around other dogs, the ones that actually like him but it seems like he doesn't know how to play with other dogs. He stands still while these dogs gave him clear playful signs. On the other hand he perfectly knows how to play with me or my daughter. I doubt it was some shockily moment since he ended in a kennel after being ran over by a car and he actually likes cars

-he's quite lazy. He's castrated so keeping him thin will be difficult, but the thing that he loves the most it's sleeping next to his owners. He's overweight and despite giving him not that much food he's still quite fat. I took him out three times a day (and I can't do more because of my job) plus we have a garden and during summer he's out all the time, but he run only when he plays, most of the time he digs and sniff.

Any suggestion would be helpful
>>
>>2056359
What's the best I can do for it to mitigate its suffering? It's probably not going to get enough exercise and I don't know what I can do to help it not hang itself from boredom. Give me literally any advice on puppies. I can't imagine that nobody in the dog general has raised a Labrador before.
>>2056338
It's a shitty BYB disguised with "loving family breeder, one litter a year, not just some AKC show breeder doing it for money" I don't think they're gonna give back 900 dollars because I told them that my parents won't play with it long enough. The best I can do is contact them about it, but that's about it. I will, but again, this isn't somebody I trust.
>>
>>2056434
>shiba inu
>good temperament

>>2056366
What else are you looking for in a dog? A "good temperament" varies hugely depending on what you're asking for. Some people think a territorial Rottweiler is "good", some people want a service golden retriever. I would look at what exercise level and personality traits you want and then check individual breeds for health. (easily done by googling, many dog breed websites list major and minor health concerns)
Generally, though, working line dogs are healthier. (collies, Aussies, Australian cattle dogs, corgis, ect)
>>
>>2056549
I've met one or two shibas who are friendly, I think it's mainly because they need to be socialized a shit load, and many owners don't do that, or maybe dog temperaments vary from dog to dog
>>
I'm trying to adopt a dog but where I live has no pet stores that sell dogs, the shelters won't adopt to a single guy (I have tried all three and all three are shitty to the animals and filled with sick dogs) and the local breeders want thousands for their 'purebred' incest dogs. Where besides capitalist can I look to find dogs in the USA? I just want a mutt to keep me company and be my new canine best friend.
>>
>>2056559
Capitalist was supposed to say Craigslist.
>>
>>2056560
Honestly man you might just have to go with crigslist. I drove 3 hours to get mine because the same reason.
>>
File: Shoveldog.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Shoveldog.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
Herrs my dog

Sorry for shitty quality, making webms is too hard for me
>>
>>2056571
We adopted an Alaskan Malamute a month ago and everything is going perfect, but we heard that we should find ways to "mentally challenge" her and not only physically challenge her. What are good ways of doing so? We found some dog puzzles online, but they were very expensive. Pic related
>>
>>2056559
Just go craiglist. Fuck breeders and fuck those shelter workers.
>>
>>2056594
buy her this book
>>
>>2056570
All the ones local are shitty breeders who want as much as the pet store. I don't know where all the mutts have gone but unless you want a tiny rat dog, which is fine, but not for me, the only option is exactly that.

I just hate driving and was hoping for a local alternative. Fucking backwater panhandle cities, man.
>>
>>2056559
where the hell do you live? is petfinder not a thing?

>single guy
I find it extremely hard to believe no one would adopt to you because of that. a single guy that can't afford to care for one, then maybe

>>2056595
>just go to craigslist
>fuck breeders
>implying craigslist isn't how most breeders thrive
>>
>>2056608
Most "breeders" on craigslist don't charge $2000+ for their pups.
>>
>>2056611
that doesn't mean they aren't breeders. they're just cheap BYBs

you can't pretend they aren't breeders just because it suits your opinion. if anything, they're worse
>>
>>2056608
I have a good job, and I make 35k a year. I have a yard and I live in a good neighborhood, and a renter's agreement from my landlord that says I can have any dog I want, should I want to have a pet. I have pay stubs to prove it to the shelter and have, and I've had a dog in the past I grew up with and took care of when I moved out, who lived to be 18 and was healthy up until he passed on from old age, so I can't think of any other reason they would say no, especially given that two of the three flat out told me dogs were only 'family' pets and they don't adopt to bachelors.

Our shelters are all kill shelters and privately owned, and the closest aspca shelter is 112 miles away.

The only pets on petfinder are shelter pets from, surprise, those same shelters who denied my application.

I've been fighting this for a year, since December 2014. I've tried just about everything short of sitting in the vet office from open to close waiting for someone to come in with an unwanted dog. Which is about where I am at, at this moment.
>>
>>2056606
Oh shit. That sucks. Where do you live? I live in a panhandle state lol. I drove the 3 hours to get my dog and it was a Blue Heeler and I paid 200 so it was worth it. But I know what you mean. It took me over a month of browsing the site multiple times a day so I could be one of the first to see a new posting. Everything else was poms and fucking shit zoos
>>
File: 20160124_165315.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
20160124_165315.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Rate "my" woofu~
(Fucking floens turning my pictures)
>>2056559
I wouldn't want a dog to go to a single anybody. If you're working and not at home, the dog gets lonely as fuck.
Unless the shelter is scummy as fuck (ours isn't).
>>
>>2056616
if you literally can't find anything you want where you live, then why not drive to somewhere else for the dog? if you're as upset as you say you are

and not to be rude, but if you hate your area so much, why do you stay?
>>
Hey guys what is BYB? Sorry for being a fag
>>
>>2056613
No one said they weren't breeders faggot, stop overthinking things.
>>
>>2056619
I don't really agree with that. ours adopts dogs out to single people who work if they actually have a plan on what to do with the dog while they're gone and aren't just going to leave them in the yard or crate by themselves for 7+ hours a day. or if the dog is a puppy or has separation anxiety
>>
>>2056621
>if you hate your area so much, why do you stay?

>"I live in a good neighbourhood"

Where the fuck did you deduct that he hated his area?
>>
>>2056623
Back Yard Breeder. shitty breeders who do things like sell puppies too young, breed siblings together, don't have desexing contracts, don't genetic health test (big one), keep them in generally sub-par conditions, stuff like that. craigslist is full of them.
>>
>>2056616
I had to drive 36 hours to get my dog. She is absolutely perfect and well worth it once the trip was over. She's a companion that you will have for so many years. Just drive.
>>
>>2056629
in your earlier posts, sorry if I was wrong

"nice neighborhood" doesn't always mean you like it. I live in a "nice" area too and can't wait to get the hell out. no bad blood m8
>>
>>2056623
Decent people who sell their dogs cheap unlike those pretentious twats trying to fork out thousands out of your bank account.
>>
>>2056626
That's what I mean. If they prove they can solve the issues of leaving the dog alone all day, and can fully support the dog. I'm fine with it.
We adopted a Meme Doge out to a man working in Austin that owned his own business and keeps dogs around the office.
>>
File: 20151223_132842-1-1.jpg (3 MB, 1924x1742) Image search: [Google]
20151223_132842-1-1.jpg
3 MB, 1924x1742
>>2056619
>>2056626
Also rate my actual Woofu~
The other dogs name is pappy, and I want to adopt him but I can't.
>>
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 750x1334
>>2056638
very pretty. blue heeler mix? can't quite tell from the pic

just got a blue heeler seized from a BYB who bred her to shit even though she's blind and deaf because they wanted the puppies to be "small like she is", it was awful. poor shit is only about 9
>>
File: 20160119_062145.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160119_062145.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
>>2056640
A cattle dog mix.
Catahoula, Blue heeler, Auzzie cattle doge.
She is about 40-50 lbs. Either she is very muscles or a little fat.
>>
>>2056640
>>2056644
Oh and the dopey dog in the background is my German Short-haired pointer.
He turned out to be dumb as a rock, but a real sweetheart. He whines like a baby when you pet him.
>>
>>2056631
Holy shit. Actually 36 hours? Is that 36 there, 36 back? Or 18 there and back totalling 36 hours? How did you even discover your dog if it's that far away??
>>
>>2056631
what
>>
??
>>
>>2056649
>>2056650

Lmfao

Hey mom I'll be back in like 3 weeks. Going to get a dog.
>>
>>2056652
fucking kek
>>
File: 123.png (891 KB, 1045x935) Image search: [Google]
123.png
891 KB, 1045x935
>>2056647
22 hours one way, 14 hours back. Not counting sleeping in the car. First I tried driving over a mountain, but the final road down was closed due to snow and I had to drive all the way back and around the mountain which made the trip 8 hours longer than planned. Google maps don't really account for snowy Norwegian roads. Well worth it for a free pure malamute though
>>
>>2056658
Wow. Speechless. You deserve him/her. I thought my trip was long but jesus. Post a pic? :3
>>
>>2056557
They're extremely difficult to raise and aggression is common to the point where it's considered a breed trait. They have a stubborn, dominant, and complex personality with a high prey drive. I really have no idea what the fuck that person was thinking. They might've just been suggesting meme dogs since corgis were on the list too.
>>
>>2056658
...And how much money in gas did you spend?
>>
My dog.
I miss her all the time. Doesn't help that my family sends me picture of her randomly once in a while.

Literally the only thing on this earth that turns me into a baby talking degenerate.
>>
File: abc.jpg (233 KB, 667x848) Image search: [Google]
abc.jpg
233 KB, 667x848
>>2056663
Thanks, recently took her for skijoring for the first time. So much fun. It's the same malamute posted earlier itt

>>2056666
140$. Malamutes cost 14000NOK (~1600$) in Norway. They are very expensive to import also because of strict laws on canine diseases and genetic disorders that has to be checked for.
>>
>>2056671
:3
>>
File: 20160124_152426(0).jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160124_152426(0).jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
Currently shitposting from 30,000 ft
But,
Idk how I am going to prevent myself from adopting so many woofu~s when I get old enough.
Just... just LOOK AT HIM.
>>
>>2056673
I'm jealous! So beautiful. I'm sure you'll give it a happy life.
>>
>>2055983
Posted this in the breed thread but it went ignored so I'll repost here:

I absolutely adore German/White Shepherds, Huskies and Malamutes but I'm not in a position to get one right now so the past few weeks have just been researching for when the time comes.

Sites are helpful but it's even better to have owners' perspectives, so I have a few questions:

I understand Huskies and Mals in particular can rarely be trusted off-leash so what kind of decent exercise can you give them; running with a long leash? I'd never get one without some solid exercise strategy so some advice here would be great.

For anyone who has owned a White, German, Husky or Mal - any advice for training? I've looked after dogs before (2 Jack Russells and a Staffy in my friend's house, where I usually visit weekly) and have researched dog behaviour but this would be my first time owning. Staffies are another breed I would definitely consider if the other four are much less compatible for someone without prior experience with those breeds.

Thanks!
>>
>>2056680
I'm the malamute owner from earlier itt. They aren't that impossible off leash as internet sources have you believing. The main focus in her life is to get food, and she knows she gets a treat when I call her in so she comes even if she is focused on playing with another dog. I would never trust her around sheep or cats though, her insticts are so strong to prey on them that there's no way I'd be able to call her in. Just be careful where you are when you take her off leash.

Making her pull a tire is something she loves to do and a very effective way of getting her tired. Other than that she is happy with two walks a day. My gf takes her in the morning and I take her when I get home from uni. The rest of the time she stays calm. If she do get restless later, then I put some liver on a rope toy she has and she gnaws on it for hours before she gets tired and falls asleep.
>>
>>2056295
>>2056262
Dude, just call animal control on them and STOP helping them. You're a grown ass adult, you DON'T need to be that involved with them anymore. You don't have to cut ties immediately, just slowly stop doing things for them over the course of a year or so.

Get rid of one or two animals here or there and say they 'ran away', or 'died mysteriously, maybe a heart attack?'

If they aren't abbusing the animals then animal control can't do anything, but there are laws about how many animals you can keep at one time and they can probably take a few off their hands.

You need to grow the fuck up though and realize your parents are toxic even if they are good people or really love you. It doesn't make them any less responsible, and all you're doing is aiding them to continue that shit habit.
>>
>>2056362
https://youtu.be/TOSbbJf1Nxo?t=30s

That should help, and he's got more vids on it.
>>
Woofu~ general got real quiet
Everyone watching the deberts?
Who
/makeamericadoggoagain/?
>>
>>2056740
Doggo Trump master race
>>
File: 20160206_215717.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160206_215717.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>2056793
Ignore pillow.
This is doggos room.
>>
>>2056462
What do you feed and how much?
>>
>>2056594
Training is the best way. Start with basic obedience, then start incorporating more complex commands: open/close doors, go get X, put away X, go to a location by giving directions (back up, go left), stuff like that.
>>
File: Snapchat-8269639614856782546.jpg (763 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8269639614856782546.jpg
763 KB, 1440x2560
>>2056798
It's almost impossible with a puppy. Best I could get
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1974x1476) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1974x1476
>>2056623
Back Yard Breeders. Breeders who don't prioritize health and temperament, instead they cut corners for convenience or profit

Many times they say things that make them sound like a decent breeder, but when you dig deeper you find they don't go the full lengths to ensure they produce sound puppies.
>>
>>2056811
I know you!
Good luck with that Auzzie puppy (?)!
>>
>>2056817
Haha thanks! Yeah australian shepherd or so im told.He's a handful at times. But I fell in love with him. I think I'm doing okay so far for my first time owning a dog. Idk if you read all of my posts but he kind of was dumped on me by the gf but I'm glad it happened. Can't believe I've never owned a dog until now.
>>
>>2056826
I'm trying to get my parents to let me take in doggo #3 right here.
>>2056619
Here is #2
>>2056638
And here is #1
>>2056798

All three are mild mannered larger Woofus that love squirrels.
>>
>>2056828
Those look like great doggos. Both are really cute. Do you think your parents will let you get a third?
>>
>>2056828
>>2056831

Also what breed are they?
>>
>>2056831
Nope. They won't.
He is so relaxed and I've trained him over the weeks I spend at the shelter.
What I'm surprised is HE HASN'T BEEN ADOPTED. It's crazy.
The dog is perfect for families and couples.

Idk mang. Maybe I can wrestle him out, but I am leaving for college so I would feel like it would be neglect, unless I can pass him off as a "therepy dog"
>>
>>2056832
Doggo #1:
Name: Shiner Bock
Breed: German short-haired pointer
Weight 80 lbs

Doggo #2:
Name: Ruedi (Roo die)
Breed: cattle dog mixture (Auzzie, blue, catahula)
Weight: 40-50 lbs

Doggo #3
Name: Pappy, Papster, Pappy-pappy-poo
Breed: Hound doge+lab? No idea
Age: 6 months (SUPER LAID BACK???? ONLY BARKS WHEN NEEDS 2 PEE)
Weight: 40 lbs
>>
>>2056836
>>2056833
Great names as well. Dog 3 sounds awesome. I hope he gets adopted. I really like your dogs. I went back and looked at their pics again. Just adorable

Also general question. Whenever my puppy goes to drink water, he will lap a couple times, then he will take his paw and like splash the water. It looks like he tries to circulate the water? Like imagie using a spoon to mix up chocolate milk, he does that with both paws. I don't know if this is normal? And he will try to pick up the water bowl and carry it. It is just kind of worrying me that he does that paw thing in his water bowl. Anyone else's puppy do this? War do?
>>
>>2056843
Completly normal.
My doggo #1 used to take his water bowl and dig at the water until it was half full and then drink it.
We concluded that it was to circulate the water so we got an automatic filling bowl connected to a hose for when he was outside.
If you want him to stop doing it try and getting a bowl with some pegs in it (people usually use these to stop their dogs from eating too fast, but you should get the same effect)
He's a puppy.
He does dopey stuff. He will grow out of it, but it's kinda cute and funny to talk about.
If the mess is a problem, get the pegs.
>>
>>2056848
Okay thanks. It's adorable and I don't mind the mess. He's just so damned cute lol. He has his first vet visit on Monday.
>>
>>2056856
Load up on treats.
Get him a KONG and fill it with peanut butter, give it to him at the vet.
Vet trips should be the most rewarding for him.
Because for him, they are going to be the most stressful
>>
>>2056860
Awesome. Thank you /an/on. You've been a bro. Well he is passed out and I think I'm going to turn in too. Thanks to all who have given me advice
>>
>>2056687
>call animal control because a lab isn't given nearly enough exercise
>parents are toxic because they won't exercise their dog
>cut ties with my parents because they won't exercise their dog
Jesus Christ, dude. Why do you think I stopped loving my parents just because they want me to take care of a puppy for them? What they're doing is fucked up and inconsiderate, but you have to be seriously sheltered to consider the dog thing "toxic" and toxic enough to fucking disown my parents over. Believe me, they've done a lot of fucked up shit to me, but this one doesn't make the list at all. Also, all the animals I care for are mine, or at least as mine as they can be legally while living with my parents. I wouldn't be too fond of having my animals taken away over a fucking puppy that isn't mine. I've already given some of my animals away temporarily out of stress. I'm doing the best I can.
I just want to know what the best I can do for it is in this situation. I didn't think it'd a hard question for anybody with any experience. Any general puppy advice would work too.
>>
My dog suddenly started barking tonight. He sleeps in the other room of my apartment and stops after a while, but then he'll let out 5-6 short barks. I'm trying not to respond to any of it, but I don't want to let it go on and annoy the neighbors at night.

What's the easiest way to keep him from barking at night?
>>
>>2056804
200g of wet food and circa 150 g of dry per day
>>
>>2056893
And he's ~14 Kg
>>
>>2056874
You can't make your parents not shit and you can't make yourself not shit and more available, so yes, all you can do is give it away.
>>
>>2056594
cutiepieeee! omg
>>
>>2056812
No one cares about these arbitrary rules
>>
>>2056960
People who want happy, healthy puppies care
>>
>>2056893
Which foods?
>>
>>2057017
Because a dog/puppy is totally unhealthy unless it comes from a reputable breeder right?
>>
>>2056680
Rollerblades. Just make sure you got the obedience down, have appropriate gear(harness and kneepads are must), and pick areas that are emptyish and distraction free when easing both yourself and the dog. Also if Mal dont help it along too much unless on incline, they are more than capable of pulling 200 lb person with ease. But make sure to bring along water. If you train your Mal to pull you on rollerblades switching to skies is pretty much just change of gear for you.

As for off leash for a mal yeah kinda sorta. If there is any distraction especially food form such as the neighbors chickens or the stray cat that wanders about, holding a Mal down in a harness is a workout having it off leash in such situation will end up with feathers or fur everywhere. But the food loving properties of Mals can be exploited with ease like >>2056686 mentioned. Just teach it that it will get guaranteed food from you rather than chasing down a squirrel or a cat.

And if you do go camping with a Mal make sure you chain it down securely. I usually attach mine to the wheels or the bumper on my truck.
>>
>>2056943
I can't give it away. That's the entire fucking point. I don't see what's so difficult to understand.
>>
>>2057021
If you wanna pay 900 dollars for a dog that isn't health tested and probably not the best socialized, go right ahead. If you don't care about it that much, why wouldn't you just get a rescue puppy? The entire point of paying for a purebred is to ensure their health and for specific breed traits. If you don't seem to really care about them having a nice temperament or being healthy, you shouldn't be buying a purebred to begin with.
>>
File: 1350156027381.jpg (10 KB, 450x355) Image search: [Google]
1350156027381.jpg
10 KB, 450x355
>>2057035
>mfw sister in law and her bf want to get french bulldogs together
>mfw they find a "breeder"
>mfw they go and put a deposit down on two(fucking thousands of fucking dollars)
>Mfw they go to pick them up
>mfw the "breeder" tells them they no longer have the dogs
>mfw they gave them to someone else because the other person offered more money
>mfw they refuse to refund the deposit
That's why you make sure breeders are legit, kids.
>>
>>2057037
>buying a torture-bred dog in the first place
There are no legit frenchie breeders. That's like saying there's legit puppy mills.
>>
>>2057040
Wouldn't an AKC frenchie breeder be a legit breeder?
>>
>>2056658
That's cool anon, I'm also from Norway! I can't drive yet, but my friend offered to drive me from Oslo to Ã…lesund, so we made it into a road trip. Took about 17 hours over all, would probably take about 14 hours if we didn't do any stops and stuff.
>>
>>2057042
All reputable breeders are AKC registered, but not all AKC registered breeders are reputable
>>
>>2057042
Google torture breeding. It's not humane or ethical to breed dogs like frenchies and pugs who often spend the majority of their life struggling to breathe. Many require emergency surgery to breathe correctly; some develop stomach issues from swallowing air while desperately trying to breathe. Torture breeding is actually banned in Germany because they're not barbarians.
"AKC registered" should absolutely never fucking ever be considered a mark of a good breeder. This means absolutely nothing, especially in the case of torture bred dogs that are fucked up BECAUSE of breed standard.
>>
Might be a dumb question. First time dog owner. I just bought him a crate/cage thing. And I'm going to test him in it today. I have to leave him home alone. What can I and what should I avoid putting in the cage with him? I was thinking of putting in some toys, food and water, and a blanket. Or maybe I should avoid the food and water? He will be alone for about 2-3 hours. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2057108
Why is there a need to crate him in the first place? How old is he? I wouldn't crate him unless you're sure he'll cause serious damage for some reason. If you have to leave a dog with food in a crate, you're leaving him in there too long. He might just make a mess with the water.
>>
>>2057101
8-10 weeks. A lot of good breeders wait until 10 weeks. It can have benefits for some breeds, especially those with less stable temperaments, but it's not entirely necessary to wait that long for others. It depends on how you personally feel, really. I shy away from 8 weeks because it has that "bare minimum" feel to it. You should always stay away from the bare minimum generally when it involves an animals welfare.
>>
>>2057108
Also, forgot to add, you shouldn't be "testing" it on him for three fucking hours. How would you feel if somebody decided to let you try out a new, unfamiliar, small little box alone for 3 hours? Not very good. You'd be uncomfortable and maybe scared. I definitely wouldn't crate him if he's new to it.
>>
>>2057148
He's 8 weeks old. What am I supposed to do with him then you fucking retard? Everywhere online says crate training is okay so go fuck yourself
>>
>>2057154
Crate training doesn't mean sticking him in there for hours at a time dumbass.
Don't attack people trying to prevent you from fucking up an animal.
>>
>>2057154
>leaving an eight week old puppy in a crate for three hours
>adopting a puppy you can't even take care of
>getting mad when somebody tells you you shouldn't confine what amounts to an infant to a tiny box for the first time for three hours
"Crate training" isn't "leaving a tiny fucking puppy in a tiny box for hours and hours" you fucktard. It's going to piss and shit all over itself; puppies can barely hold their pee for a half hour. It'll knock over water and food bowls, too. It'll cry and scream from loneliness and unfamiliarity. It'll end up with separation issues if you do this more than once or twice.
General rule for young puppies: If you have to ask yourself whether you should put food or water in the crate with them, they shouldn't be being crated for that long.
>>
>>2057174
>adopting a puppy

nah, he got that puppy from a craigslist BYB most likely
>>
>>2056874
Ok, dude look. I phrased that pretty harshly, but I was being blunt. Maybe too blunt, and I apologuise.

When I said cut ties, I didn't mean that you should disown your family, only that you need to stop letting them rely on YOU to do things that are THEIR responsibility. You said it yourself-it's inconsiderate, but it's also selfish. And they might not even realise they are being selfish, but they are. They are your parents, they should not be pushing responsibilities on you that you can't handle or don't want, they should be helping you. That's a role reversal that seriously can fuck with your psyche because suddenly you are put in the position where you have to be their parent, and you should never be in that position unless they are sick or old and actually -need- your aid.

Even if you don't see it that way, this is toxic behaviour. Does it make them bad people? No, of course not, but they still shouldn't be doing that to you.

It also sounds like you have too many animals already-a responsibility that you shouldn't have right now if you are still living with your parents. I understand that's difficult and you love those animals, but you should have your own apartment/house before taking on a responsibility like an animal. Also, it IS abuse if the dog is getting no excersise or not enough. It's basically mental abuse along with physical. I mean imagine if you only ever left your house MAYBE once a week, but while at home you had no tv, no computer, no phone, no friends to play with, and no books or games. That's basically what the dog is going through, and if you or your parents can't meet that need for the dog, then it's cruel to keep it-you NEED to give it away to someone that can take care of it.
>>
>>2057174
>>2057165

You guys are dumbasses. I feel bad for anyone you've ever given advice too
>>
>>2057221
Basic rule of thumb-a puppy can hold it's pee for an hour each month old it is. So only two hours at 8 weeks, but even then they will pee more because they don't know how to hold their pee yet.

So fuck off.
>>
>>2057212
I said it a dozen times before, and I'll say it again until it gets through. I can't get rid of him. Nothing you're saying is helping anybody.
>>
>>2057221
I feel bad for whatever puppies you've shoved into crates for hours on end.
>>
>>2057227
Then get off the board if you can't do anything, you got your answer.
>>
>>2057230
>get off the board because I'm asking what's the best I can do for a puppy I can't devote all of my time for
>get off the board because I was asking how to raise a puppy in the first place
>>
>>2057221
>t. BYB
>buy my puppies please
>>
>>2056542
You can't do anything for it. You either take on the responsibility of caring for it-which it then becomes your dog, and yes, you can legally take it after a certain amount of them not doing shit for the dog, or you let it be and let them deal with the mess it's going to cause. They will get fed up with all the shit, piss, and tearing up of furniture and get rid of it. If they throw it in the backyard and don't pay attention to it-BOOM, call animal control.

Those are your options, now gladly fuck off and quit bitching.
>>
>>2057035
>If you wanna pay 900
I don't. Lel at you fags who pay thousands for a dog most people buy for sometimes as low as $150.

>Probably not the best socialised
Only a stupid nigger who wants his hand to be held would expect a breeder to socialise THEIR dog rather than doing it themselves.

>Why wouldn't you just get a rescue puppy
There's always that option, though, it's hit and miss depending on what's at the shelter. Same price though.
>>
>>2057148
Ever heard of crate training you dumb shit?
>>
>>2057181
>>2057232
Lol this faggot and his memes need to leave.
>>
>>2057275
Quit samefagging to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>2057281
Too bad more than 1 person thinks you're an idiot.

>Why is there a need to crate him in the first place
What a stupid fucking statement. I don't know Jerry, why is there a need to crate a dog? It's only the most recommended method of toilet training a pup. Duuurrrrr.
>>
Still newly researching into dogs so I apologise if this is a stupid question but any idea what sort of cross this guy might be?

The colouring and the shelter's description (needs a good amount of exercise, very loyal to those who've bonded, nervous around strangers, may bark at the door but friendly and playful afterwards) makes me think he's part German Shepherd but the ears suggest something else in the mix
>>
File: aeros2.jpg (121 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
aeros2.jpg
121 KB, 800x451
>>2057333
Fuck, forgot a pic
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-07-23-14-21.png (282 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-07-23-14-21.png
282 KB, 1440x2560
>>2057279
Desu senpai what do you mean?
>>
>>2057226
>don't crate your dog for 2 hours even though it's recommended to crate him for 2 hours.
Idiot
>>2057228
Zero :3

>>2057285
I don't understand why retards hijacked my shit.
>read 10+articles online saying crate training is good
>retards commenting saying its bad

I just wanted to know what I could put in a damned crate while I'm gone for an hour or two. It's not like I'm just throwing him in there and saying fuck off.
>>
>>2057512
This board is full of dumb cunts, but I'll help you out anon.

You could try a kong (look it up) filled with wet dog food and treats. If you freeze it before giving it to your pup, that should last him a good hour or two.
>>
>>2057512
The thing is we thought you were throwing him in there for hours right off the bat.
You have to work him to that, and he will be better off.
Start with just 30 seconds. Then 5 minutes, 25, 45, hour, two hours
>>
File: bernesemountaindogsf2.jpg (22 KB, 240x420) Image search: [Google]
bernesemountaindogsf2.jpg
22 KB, 240x420
So I have been looking at getting a Bernese Mnt. Dog, however as I live in a warm climate several of my friends and relations have raised the concern that it will be too hot for a dog with a cold weather pedigree like that.

Can dogs bred to a cooler climate do well in warm ones? I certainly see enough Siberians around here to make me think that it is not such a big issue, but I wouldn't want to get a dog and have him be uncomfortable outside for half of the year.

Is this actually a legitimate cause for rethinking my breed choice? Also are there any tips for keeping a dog comfortable outside when it is warm? I don't want to just keep him inside with the AC running all the time.
>>
>>2057528
Lol i live in australia in a state that gets hot as fuck during summer. That hasn't stopped the amount of tards getting arctic dogs here. I say go for it.
>>
>>2057534
But wouldn't that just make me a tard too?

also,
>listening to Australians
Moot warned me about this.
>>
>>2057528
I live in Oregon, which is normally pretty mild and wet, but the summers can get pretty hot

I believe it was last year when a couple moved here from someplace farther north and brought their two malamutes. the poor fucks died from heatstroke that summer.

could the dog live in that climate? probably. but will it require a fuckton of work and the dog will still be uncomfortable a lot of the time? most likely

it just doesn't sound like a smart idea desu
>>
File: 1453696034782.gif (957 KB, 294x224) Image search: [Google]
1453696034782.gif
957 KB, 294x224
Are there any good corgi breeders that have been breeding them to be family pets, and stepping away from the working line a bit? I know they were originally bred as herders, but my boyfriend has wanted one for years (I've tried to talk him out of it multiple, times, but whatever, it's his dream dog), so I want to compromise and try to find one that won't be such a pain in the ass to deal with.
>>
>>2057568
A guy I know has a corgi who's pretty much the best dog ever, so ones who aren't full on HERDING MODE definitely exist.
>>
>>2057575
Ya, I just gotta find one it seems. It also seems like there are large personality differences between the welsh corgi and the pembroke corgi (at least I've read), but he's very stuck on getting the yellow one, and I fear that the yellow one's may be more herders than family dogs.

I really hope I've read wrong.
>>
Live feeding chickens or rabbits to doggo yay or nay? Wouldn't be a regular thing maybe once every two months, neighbors dont keep chickens or rabbits and the fence is high enough to prevent doggo from crossing over anyway.
>>
>>2057684
What type of doggo?
I would not reccomend chickens. They might poke eyes out.
I have no honest idea.
>>
>>2057684
>>2057697
Nope.
Don't do it.
I just read up on it, don't do it.
Unless it's a fucking Wolfu or Cyote.
Dont
>>
How would you go about introducing a dog to a cat that has been an only pet for his whole (4 year) life?
>>
>>2057528
If you want a bernese I'd say go for a Greater Swiss Mountain dog, they're not as hairy, don't have as many health problems, but have similar personalities
>>
>>2057745
Rub pillow on cat, rub pillow on doggo
Switch
>>
>>2057745
Don't.
I can't see that working out well
>>
Puppy doesn't respond to verbal commands alone, just when used with signals and treats. Is this something he can overcome or is he just broken?

Also- what's the best way to correct a trick he's doing wrong? I get him to sit then I lower the treat to the ground and say down, and he thinks that means to grab my hand with his paws. Is there a good way to prevent that? Clicker training maybe since no treats?
>>
https://youtu.be/lsxDm8U3vZc dogs
>>
>>2057697
Malamute/husky mutt
>>2057700
This is all based of interwebs? Was hoping for someone who might have experience with live feeding dogs.
>>
>>2057834
Yeah.
Nobody live feeds doggos.
It's not a thing because modern breeds have been made for at least partially prepared foods.

You can give them skinned meats and stuff, but not the fur/bones etc.

You might get a ded doggo
>>
>>2057797
Keep saying "sit" when doing the hand signal/treat. Tell him good boy/girl. Don't give him a treat every time. But always tell them good boy. I mixed up the ratio like I'll give him a treat the first time, then I won't for two more times, then give him a treat the next time. But keep saying sit every time. Then gradually just try telling him sit. But if he doesn't sit don't keep saying sit. He should do it the first time. Just ignore it. Wait couple seconds and try again.

Idk about the other problem. Hope it helps
>>
>>2057838
Right makes sense. I had these reservations when doggo caught a squirrel on top of the whole ermergerd diseases thing.

But from what I gather these "primitive" breeds ought to be able to hunt down their food. Not to be thick or anything but if small bones would be an issue then a lamb/sheep or a calf should be alright? Rabbits seem most 'natural' way of live feeding as I am most certain that the kill would be quick and is the natural food for canids.

Another thing with live feeding is the whole ethical side to it. Personally I don't find anything wrong with it as such prey animals would be consumed by predator animals in nature. Nothing wrong with helping nature along a bit. But buying animals and throwing em in a enclosed area doesn't seem too sporting. So enclosed or out in the open?

Sorry for being persistent with this topic but the almighty google doesn't chooch properly and except for giving a story about some teens feeding live cats to dogs gives nothing useful and I find "natural" feeding quite fascinating to be fair even if this endeavor is to be a one time thing want to be informed.
>>
>>2057528
I wouldn't go with a bermese. Their average lifespan is 7 years. Seconding greater Swiss mountain dog if they have what you're looking for.
>>
>>2057515
Not an eight week old puppy. It'll piss and shit itself. It shouldn't be left alone that long during the day yet.
>>2057512
Crate training isn't shoving a dog immediately into a crate for three hours the first time.
>>
My BC puppy lost her first baby tooth. A bottom canine.

I've started freezing rolled up handcloths for her to chew on.

Any other recommendations to make things easier in this stage for both her and me?
>>
>>2057908
Thanks. I've only taught older dogs to sit, like 6+ months, so I wasn't sure if he's just not ready. I'll keep at it. I ordered a clicker so maybe I'll do that too.
>>
>>2057919
The dog has to be really rugged. Like almost wild usually.
Why do you want to live feed anyway?
It might never come back because he isn't reliant on you.
>>
>>2057928

idk why so many people are giving you shit. you never even said the age of the pup...

anyway, a lot of sources say not to give them anything. A blanket or bed will get peed on or chewed. Not sure why not toys etc.

I recommend getting the dog used to the crate slowly by luring it in with treats and getting it to lay down. First, treat when he goes in at all. Then when it's all four paws in. Then when he's laying down. Then after closing the door. Do this every day for a little while and he'll get used to the crate quickly. My pup cried for almost an hour at first, but after a few nights and some separation anxiety training and the crate treat training he only takes 5 minutes to stop whining.

Make sure dog goes to bathroom before crate, make sure to take dog out every 3 hours max if he's younger than 12 weeks.. 12+ can probably last all night if he goes right before bed. "All night" is about 7 hours honestly. We put our pup in at 11pm and he's up by 6 maybe 7. But after a quick trip outside I usually put him in the pen with breakfast for a few more hours to hang out and take another nap.

So basically
>get pup used to crate
>get pup used to pen/day room (don't leave pup in crate alllll day. Crate is for nighttime!)
>get pup used to being alone
>train pup to go potty outside on a schedule
>find out how long after eating before poop

Kong with cream cheese frozen is a great way to get pup used to being alone.
>>
>>2058081

Oh and separation anxiety training-

My puppy eats kibble for breakfast, so what I do is after I let him out of crate and take him outside I put him in his pen and throw a handful of kibble as I walk away. He eats, and I can go go something else for a few minutes. Every few minutes I come back and repeat. It's a good way to get the dishes done or whatever. Puppy learns that me gone = yummy treat game. Then I pour the last half of his food into his bowl and place it in the crate- crate = yummy food! I don't lock him in there, I leave him in the pen and go away for like 2 hours. He usually needs another nap by now. This lets me go back to bed if I want, take shower, play a game etc. After 2 hours I take him outside.

2-3 hours isn't too long for a puppy that age but he might go potty in there.. just be prepared for that. If you can make it 2 hours that would probably be ok.

My puppy is 14 weeks by the way, which is a lot older. So don't use my times exactly. Cut everything in half.

I just saw that your posts do say he's 8 weeks.
>>
>>2058082

OH and make sure you put a divider in the crate. If he has room to pee in there without sleeping in it, he will. Don't let him do that.

>>2057928 (u)
>>
>>2057684
Don't live feed, stick with fresh-killed

Source: whole prey raw feeder
>>
>>2057973
>BC puppy

keep pup engaged with several training sessions throughout the day
>>
>>2057987
It's pretty common for young puppies to not know to listen for verbal commands.
>>
My dog has an enormous tumour in the anal gland, and today is the day I put her down. I'm absolutely fucking devastated, and I'm not sure if I can really do it.

How do you cope, /an/?

Pic related, my dog
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 750x439) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 750x439
>tfw you talk about dogs so much this is what happens
>>
my dog is keeping me a neet without complaints and I love it

my mom got gifted a silky fucking terrier of all things,...yes, a 5 month old purebred silky terrier, and it's a handful. im working out of hte house right now and it owns
>>
>>2058213
What's wrong with silkies?
>>
>>2058053
Doggo has huge prey drive killed squirrels before always got to them before eating them. Curious what effects safe live feeding will have. And just couldn't find enough information on so part curiosity part fascination with predators part feeling bad for taking doggos caught snack from him.
>>2058164
No further preparation other than field dressing? Or not even that as in leave organs and skin on?
>>
File: 1454532001500.jpg (43 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1454532001500.jpg
43 KB, 300x400
Labrador+Podenco, she is two months old, I take her out in the forest once a day 1h is this enough or should I take her out 2 times a day for 1h each?
>>
>>2056594
While she is let loose during a walk and doesn't look at you climb a tree and call her.
1st reaction she probably won't be able to find you.
after you do the e same trick couple times (not more tan 1 per walk), it should result in her constantly checking where you are during every walk, so she doesn't loose you.

Also perfectly normal for malamutes is that when given order sit after few second the dog will lie down to conserve energy.
>>
My dogs (an 11 year old terrier) nipples have gotten a lot bigger recently. He is an un neutered male. They used to be invisible and while his hair has thinned a bit over time that's not the cause. They really have grown and others in my family noticed too.

Why are they growing?
>>
>>2058184
Sorry to say, but bury him and get a new one. Best way to cope 9 times out of 10.
>>
>>2058263
>No further preparation other than field dressing? Or not even that as in leave organs and skin on?

Most people remove intestines but otherwise leave everything else as is. If it's farmed you're okay to feed immediately, if it's wild you'll want to freeze for a month to kill any potential parasites
>>
>>2058333
V E T
E
T
>>
>>2058333
Are they long? They might be hypertrophied. This happened to both my dogs back home. I was never able to do anything about my first one cuz I was too young, but when I had my Weimaraner neutered, I had the vet remove the two nipples that were growing long (one about an inch and a half, the other half an inch). When I'd take him to the dog park other dogs would sniff, lick, and nibble on them and people would ask me what they were, so I just took care of them. They don't bring harm to the dog as far as I know, but I don't know much. I couldn't find much about it online to link you to, but your vet should know what it is. There's also a possibility it's a lump and you should get it checked out either way,
so tl;dr: >>2058366.
>>
What's Up Animals? I'm bringing home a 10 week very pale sable husky today, and I need interesting name suggestions before my Roommate manages to name her Ottawa. Please help. I'm having a block trying to think of something fitting and sweet. She's not quite a woolly but she is an adorable floof. Will reward /an/ with pictures of her when I get home tonight. She looks like a dilute copper/red with a black stripe down her back and tail.
>>
>>2058614
>Will reward /an/ with pictures
Ha.
No names will be given until you release pics of said pupper.
It's hard to tell anyway without pics.
>>
>>2058618
I won't have pics until I have the pup.
>>
>>2058614

Biscuit
>>
Is it bad to give a dog human left overs?
>>
>>2058909

Yes, it can cause pancreatitis
>>
>>2058909
Not as long as you know what human foods dogs can't digest, or are toxic to their bodies. Five minutes on Google will tell you that.

I give my fog unseasoned meat, occasional fruits and berries, and a few veggies from time to time. I always put these things either in her bowl, or as a reward for something-discourages begging.
>>
Never had a dog so I have a general question : for middle sized dogs in general, how long is the ideal walk each day for them?

Also from what I understand having a dog in an apartment is fine, as long as you get him out enough, but I'm still hesitating between different breeds, could you please give me your opinion on what dog is the best for a first time owner?
The list I cut down so far (I'm not into small dogs but if a middle sized of big dog is not recommanded I'll probably settle down for a french bulldog) :

Aussie cattle
Border Collie
Shiba (ideal I think but quite expensive and rare where I live)
Canaan
Welsh Corgi
I also heard that greyhound are a good choice despites their size and speed, and my dream would be a mastiff but let's be realistic, not without a house with yard...
>>
>>2059119
Shibas aren't for first time owners.
Corgis would be perfect.

Shibas are very high energy, and don't do tricks to please you, but to get the treats in your pocket. They're stubborn and difficult to house break.
>>
>>2059124
Oh ok. Yeah I got that they're pretty stuborn but I liked the idea of a dog that have a bit of a cat's personnality. But yeah, that may not be ideal for a first time owner, and if you say they're high energy too, I don't want to make one sad by having not enough exercise/space.
Thanks. I'll look a bit more into corgis.
>>
Hello anons.

My minpin is 11, and I believe his time has come, he has no use of his legs now, yesterday he could still walk, albeit wobbly and his head was heavy so I had to guide him through his water bowl, but now it has gotten worse, he cant move anymore, the only thing he could move is his eyes and neck, he doesnt try to smell food anymore and has stopped drinking, peeing causes him great pain since this is the only time he would cry out in pain.

What do? (besides going to the vet since we did it already and no vets are available in the next two days, the closest is about 20 miles from here)

should I just wait?
>>
what is a good dog for a first time dog owner?
>>
Alright so bit of a toughy here.

I have a beagle X shes about 4 years and has some signs of a bad back leg.

Vet said you should ook into getting the leg dug out deeper so the kneecap doesnt slip so much, and it could help prevent issues in the long run.

Got a second opinion, they gave me a diet suppliment to help strengthen cartilge.

Q. Has anyone gotten their dog's knee deepened?
Is it worth?
Costs about 2k (Aus funny money).
She might dislocate her leg twice a year, shows no real discomfort (but then again shes a dog, just wont put too much weight on it.

TL;DR Knee bone deepening, worth?
>>
File: IMG_20160209_224645.jpg (272 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_224645.jpg
272 KB, 1024x768
Here you go /an/imals. The as of yet unnamed husky girl. So far andromeda, Artemis and kylo are three suggested names. Managed to talk roommate out of Ottawa
>>
File: IMG_20160209_224709.jpg (287 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_224709.jpg
287 KB, 1024x768
>>2059242
>>
>>2059242
Call her 4chan.
>>
>>2059242
>>2059244
Call her fuzzyboots snookiebootems
>>
>>2059184
What's the official diagnosis? Did you do rads and see an orthopedic vet?
>>
>>2059149
nevermind anons, hes gone now, thank you
>>
>>2059119
A greyhound rescue would be a decent idea
>>
>>2059242
call her Sif dude
>>
>>2059180
an adult with an energy level that matches what you can realistically provide and a size you can handle

go to your local humane society and see what matches up
>>
>>2059738
No official diagnostic yet. Rads will be done before the procedure, and done on both back legs as well. Wasn't aware there was such a thing as an orthopedic vet, ill have a look around in the area
>>
hey /an/ first time poster here, I have a doberman, couldnt find a wiki here so are there any golden rules or tips you could give me regarding training a dog. He is actually pretty decently trained at begginner level, he will come to me if I call him, is super friendly, bad thing is sometimes the little bugger leaves the house whenever we open the door, and although he spends a lot of time outside fucking around and running with us, he still sometimes rushes out the door and if I call him sometimes he comes, sometimes he doesnt. I think it might be that hes going to pee or something like that cause he has never done any of his buisness indoors.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
R8
>>
>>2060496
mutt/10
>>
My dog likes to do this cat thing where it rubs its body against my legs. While I find it adorable is it normal?
>>
File: IMG_20160213_135839.jpg (157 KB, 1433x1075) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160213_135839.jpg
157 KB, 1433x1075
This is my puppy.

Do you guys like him?
>>
>>2061969
Puppy!!!
>>
>>2061282
If you have cats or he used to live around cats, its perfectly normal. Animals replicate each others behavior a lot. He probably saw that the cat would get pets if he rubbed against your leg, and thought "oh shit if I do that maybe I'll get pets too".
>>
>>2058303
An hour a day was sufficient for my weim pup an she was a pretty energetic dog.
Sorry, no pic related
>>
>>2061975
well our neighbor has cats and he probably sees them a lot (we don't have cats)
>>
>>2059242
astra
>>
File: _20160214_043741.jpg (2 MB, 4736x2193) Image search: [Google]
_20160214_043741.jpg
2 MB, 4736x2193
Here's my GSD 1/4 Mal Token. 2 next week and roughly 42kg. I really need to train him more because around some dogs he can be very aggressive.

That's a quick video of him pulling me the board nearly hitting 20mph
https://youtu.be/HpGMqVGl1eQ
>>
File: Pekoe.png (2 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Pekoe.png
2 MB, 1200x800
I bought some frozen bones from a reputable/registered breeder about a week ago. After a
couple days I gave each dog one. Now they've had bone-like treats before that are bretty
good and last a while, so I did the same procedure as always and made them do a few
tricks, made them stay and wait then I gave them each a bone as a reward. I supervised for
a few minutes, and knowing that both dogs are respectful of each other's space when
chewing a treat and behave well, I left with my bf to work and the house was empty.

He arrived home first and my dachshund was covered in blood and shaking and whimpering.
My puppy, we're guessing, had beaten the shit out of her because our dachshund finished
her (smaller) bone first and went to take Pekoe's.
Pekoe had no injuries, and my dachshund, Nestley, is now healing still from a gash on her
shoulder blade, nips on her ears, and little bite marks on her belly.

I talked to the registered breeder a few days ago.
He said that I need to get Pekoe to submit and know that I'm the boss here if she acts up again.

I looked up that you have to make them lose their balance first,
flip them on their back and have your fingers kind of digging into the throat.
I also gripped her scruff for safe measure, when today she tried to attack Nestley again.

She's not submitting guys. Help.
What's the best way to get a dog to know that what they are doing is not right.
I don't want her to become aggressive.
Her playfulness is quickly developing into something I can hardly control.
>>
>>2062020
LOL 2 meme dogs.

I'm glad that happened to your daschund. Their pain sustains me.
>>
>>2062027
>hating any kind of dog because it's a meme.

I should mention that my dachshund was a rescue from a fatally ill woman and was too sick to exercise her two dachshunds, but was fit enough to feed them both table scraps and mentally abuse them. When we got Nestley, she was 28lbs and we've now gotten her down to 18lbs, and she's gained a lot of muscle, especially around her back to support spine for what weight she is now. Whereas before, from pics I saw she was just a tubby tuff.
As for my Shiba Inu, our Vet's mother breeds them and we wanted a healthier, loyal, and energetic breed to spice up things with Nestley, so we got her.
If I lived somewhere like on a farm, I would have gotten an Akita, which is another breed she breeds.

Just you wait, I'll make you fall in love with this mildly chub, muscular pupper. And stop jumping on the meme bandwagon of hating 'meme' breeds.
>>
>>2062020
Alpha roll is stupid, and it doesn't work.

Pack hierarchy theory has also been discredited long ago.

Consult a proper trainer since aggressions can be difficult to figure out.
>>
>>2062036
He said I'd only need to do it once, because she is in fact going up the chain in who she thinks is in more control. Then a spray bottle would work just fine after she recognized me as a more alpha.

But that aside, is there anyone I could see on youtube? I live in a small town and this guys is the only reputable person out here.
>>
>>2062020
>>2062039
>gets meme breed known for being aggressive and temperamental
>doesn't know shit about how to deal with resource guarding
>"hurr she must see u as dominate"

1) your breeder is a moron
2) you're a moron
3) the dominate/submissive bullshit isn't going to work. you're only going to make it worse

and leaving two dogs unattended with "highly desirable" items like that is an incredibly foolish idea

literally googling dog to dog resource guarding would have given you better suggestions than what you're doing now
>>
i have a female shar-pei that weighed 13.1 kg around 5 months old.
any estimate as to what her adult weight will be based on her current size?
>>
>>2062051
also, when should i spay her? i'm guessing she'll be going into heat soon (she's 5 1/2 month now) so would it be best to wait until after that?
>>
>>2062044
Looked it up, my dachshund does do that, but Pekoe doesn't give two shits if I'm with her or around her when she even has a raw bone.

I'll teach Nestley in the meantime, maybe buy a spray bottle as I wait for replies, but that doesn't stop this rising problem I have with Pekoe.
>>
>>2062052
before her first heat is ideal
>>
>>2062057
i've been seeing a lot of conflicting information online about when to spay so i wasn't sure. but the vet and breeder also suggested before her heat so i'll probably do it soon.
>>
>>2062055
>attacks another dog getting too close to what she views as hers

that's literally what resource guarding is. it can be that she only does it with other dogs but not with people. Google is your friend. just spraying her every time she does something is going to not resolve the problem. the alpha bullshit won't either

for someone who got a breed with high/advanced training needs, you sure don't know much
>>
>>2062059
honestly you need to immediately. if she's the she you say she is it can really happen at anytime. many times you cannot tell in the early stages
>>
>>2062060
Problem is that I don't know what the fuck happened while we were gone.

Nestley might have instigated it when she already had the bone, more than likely she'd be growling.
I've already seen that Pekoe doesn't liked to be growled at.

On an earlier note, Nestley will eat out of Pekoe's dish while she's eating, and I have to whoosh her away and punish her because when I move the dachshund away, the dachshund begins to growl defensively and sometimes snaps.
>>
>>2062020
Oh dear. That sounds like one clusterfuck of misinformation you've got there.

First things first: DO NOT leave toys or food items in a space where there is more than one unsupervised dog, ever. Not if you're stepping out of the room for ten minutes, not if you're going out for four hours. NEVER, EVER leave down something that could be considered desirous.

This should be standard practice, not just something you do when you know you have a resource guarder.

Secondly, alpha rolling dogs and forcing "submission" does nothing. If Pekoe gives up her food items to you willingly, then alpha rolling her will do absolutely nothing in regards to her resource guarding from a different animal.

The exact same thing applies to Nestley, if Nestley is a resource guarder.

Note that a certain amount of resource guarding is to be expected in intra-dog relationships, but it should appear almost invisible and appear as a turned head or a quiet growl or the tiniest lift of the lip, warning the approaching dog off -- and the approaching dog should heed these warnings because not heeding them is extremely disrespectful. Resource guarding should NOT but can easily escalate to full attacking, and if this is occurring regularly, you need to get a behaviourist in.

Also take into consideration that Shiba Inus are not always kept with other dogs of the same sex because of aggression issues, and that it can be more difficult to house two female dogs together than it is to house males. You have a dog that is known for temperamentalness and aggression.

Eventually, you may find yourself in the position of either crating and rotating the dogs, or rehoming one of them, if you cannot get things under control now. So bear that in mind before one of them is severely injured.
>>
>>2062063
Feed them separately from now on. That is completely and utterly unacceptable.
>>
File: a.jpg (11 KB, 220x346) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
11 KB, 220x346
>>2059940
Best thing to do is get guidance by joining a training club, generally they cost about the same as going through bullshit PetSmart trainers and you get a lot better experience and instruction. Make goals, aim for at least a CGC and CGCA, then start toward competitive activities depending on what your dog seems to be most inclined toward.

This kind of structure is ideal, especially for working dogs like Dobermans who enjoy having a "job" and working alongside their human. For a couple hundred bucks a year, one or two 1-2 hour classes a week, and 15 min daily sessions, you can have a fantastic dog who listens intently, enjoys working hard, and seriously loves being with you.
>>
>>2061282
My dog does this too. For her it's a way to get attention, similar to dogs that jump. It can turn into a bad habit requiring training, if your dog tries to do it to people without permission, similar to jumping.
>>
>>2062051
Adult weight is based on genetics, consult your breeder. Also, wait to spay until growth plates are closed. Your vet can help you determine when that will be. At least 1-2 heat cycles.
>>
>>2062044
Sorry to hear you are dealing with this, sounds like it was a very scary situation.

The other anons are correct, disregard all suggestions of applying BS "pack mentality" to a training situation, and ABSOLUTELY separate your dogs when you can't directly monitor them with food/toy/treats.

You will need to take some time working on resource guarding, like others have suggested. Where do you live? I can try and see if there's a good trainer near you that can teach you how to train out resource guarding. At this point I would not consult your breeder with anymore questions about training. It's clear she does not really have any relevant experience.
>>
>>2062063
you seem hesitant to admit your meme dog is a resource guarder

she is. everything you've said points to that. and if she's attacking and harming another dog over it, it's severe and something you need to correctly address immediately

like >>2062066 said, you have a breed known for shit like this, it can't really be a shock to you? giving them things separately is a must

when I adopted my pit/husky puppy he had specifically dog/dog resource guarding due to being emaciated and trust me, that's something you're just going to have to live with. even if you think you've trained it out of her, it's still something you need to keep in the back of your mind because resource guarding can and does lead to full blown fights that can result in a fatality. your dog has already shown willingness to give those injuries, you don't know that next time she won't go further
>>
>>2062165
wrong person but I agree with you
>>
>>2062161
i will the next time i talk to her, but i'm just looking for an estimate. i'm guessing around 20kg but not sure.
also, my vet suggested pre-6 months old, but information on the internet says otherwise
>>
File: 1454541362982.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1454541362982.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Rate my terrier mutt. He's a teenager apparently (5 months) hence why he's quite slender. Love the little guy.
>>
Hey /DG/ ,
I adopted a mutt from the shelter the other day and he had been a perfect fit in my family and gets along swimmingly with our other dog. I was told he was a stray and I'm sure he had to have had an owner before because the guy knows simple commands and is house trained (bells on doorknob).
He was only at the shelter a few weeks and he didn't have tags so they don't know his name and I don't know , other than repitition, to get him to understand his name.
He knows sit, lay down, roll over, speak, but doesn't know come. So.. I'm winging it by saying his name and if he turns to look at me I give him a cheerio. Sometimes it works, some times it doesnt. Anyone have advice? He's 2-3 years old.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.