[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of your guys have careers in wildlife management/study/zoology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 1419900071339.jpg (134 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1419900071339.jpg
134 KB, 1280x853
Do any of your guys have careers in wildlife management/study/zoology? Is it fulfilling or soul-crushing?
>>
>>2158847
The answer is the same as it would be if you were asking about vets:

If you have to ask, you aren't cut out for this fuckery.
>>
File: 1420530646468.jpg (100 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1420530646468.jpg
100 KB, 600x849
>>2158868
Let me put it this way. When you're on your deathbed are you going to spend your last seconds lamenting the fact that you couldn't save our crapsack, dying world or are you going to be like "at least I fucking tried."?

Also how hopeless is it to find gainful employment in these fields? Am I going to need some sort of backup career?
>>
My sister has a degree in zoogolgy and is a zookeeper at a well known zoo and all she ever tells me is that college is a waste of time and money
>>
>>2158895
Personally, it makes me happy. I work at a midsize zoo in the Southwest, and... Well, yeah. Other anon's sister is right, college was kind of a waste of time and money. It's easy enough to find some kind of gainful employment, but it starts off really shitty. Once you get over the hump and get to specialize in what you're actually into, it's pretty neat, except for the feeling when one of your prize insects fucking dies because an intern lets a heat lamp fall on it. If you can deal with going from the high I'd imagine new fathers feel, to the low that you'd feel if you accidentally killed your newborn baby by doing something wrong that was completely your fault, I'd recommend it.
>>
How do you get wildlife related jobs without schooling? I've tried before, during, and after college and I never got anything, not even volunteer work.
>>
File: 1461446234573.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1761) Image search: [Google]
1461446234573.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1761
>>2158895
nice
>>
Biology is not an easy degree, respectable schools will have you go deep into chemistry and a decent amount of math and physics. Biology has the highest drop out rate of all degrees, typically either the chemistry or calculus will kill you.

I'm not saying either the chemistry or calculus are difficult, its the time management. The course load is the painful part, my last semester was 2 biology, 1 chemistry, 1 calculus, I losing around 12 hours in a lab a week. It is just a huge exercise in time management.
>>
>>2159085

Straight Bio has a lot of calculus?

I'm dual majoring in Biology and Chemistry so I have to take a lot of calculus anyway but I though Bio had only Cal 1.
>>
>>2159076
Hickory horned devils?
>>
File: 1425845543901.gif (489 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1425845543901.gif
489 KB, 300x168
>>2158916
Can you tell me a little bit more about what you do?
>>
>>2159304
Bio should go to at least calc two, typically schools vary on the amount of statistics classes you need and not the calc.
>>
>>2159085
the drop out rate is because idiots who aren't smart enough for chem or physics take biology and realizelater they arent even smart enough to do that, t. biochemist, /sci/ fag
>>
File: 1.jpg (22 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
22 KB, 852x480
This is going to sound dumb. But can I somehow work with animals even though I have a compsci degree? I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in compsci and I've starting to think this isn't the correct degree.
>>
>>2159085
Calc is like the easiest thing ever it gets hyped up wayyy too much. I honestly think the chemistry part would be much more difficult once you get into the nitty gritty of it and it's not just intro level.
>>
>>2159085
This is true. I studied for a few years to be a zoologist and it's not easy. A lot of kids go in thinking they'll be playing with cute puppies and shit all day and end up dropping out. I became a doctor instead.

On an unrelated note a friend of mine is an amateur marine biologist. He never had any formal training, he just decided out of the blue that he's gonna be a fucking marine biologist.

>converted indoor swimming pool into captive breeding program for rare fish
>5 or 6 large tanks around his house at any time
>rescued 30 highly endangered baby sea turtles after a freak storm
>gave 28 to a local aquarium for rehabilitation and kept 2 for study
>the ones he kept ended up thriving and could be released
>>
>>2161444
Rad as hell. Put your mind to anything and you can accomplish it. People are too obsessed with those peices of paper colleges give out.
>>
Most of the species you care about will be extinct or endangered before 2070. Can u live with that?
>>
>>2161444
Very rad.

Hope he keeps in constant contact with the local aquarium.
>>
>>2161610
Yeah he's best buddies with them.

Pic related is one of his turtles that was covered in algae and barnacles and was initially thought to be dead. Little guy made it.

He even gave them cute nerdy names like Treebeard and Galadriel.
>>
>>2161605
Well i want to be a arachnologist not sure if i spelled that right. So hee haw scorps and spiderbros aint going nowhere.
>>
>>2161650
> not mentioning the superior harvestman
> not mentioning the beloved pseudoscorpion
>>
Awesome thread. My dream is to work with elephants and maybe open a sanctuary one day. How to achieve? Where do you even start with something like that?
>>
>>2160792
This, calc is honestly easier than fucking algebra once you understand it.
>>
>>2159074
MOve to a state park in bumfuck nowhere and try to transfer out.
>>
>>2159697
>arent even smart enough to do that
Bio is about the same tier as Chem in my experience, with physics, maths, and good philosophy programs harder.
>>
>>2162948
>putting philosophy up there in difficulty with the hard sciences

snort.
>>
>>2158896
Why is that? Could she do what she does without her college degree? (I'm asking because I'm just starting college now and I have no idea what I'm doing).
>>
I've got a bachelor's in biology, but its like I don't feel like its getting me anywhere
I don't want to go back for a master's or a phd
Right now my options seem to be go back to school and get a teaching cert or volunteer at the zoo for about 6 months before they even consider hiring me
>tfw part-time at petco
>>
>>2162948
>philosophy
>"science"

Do you smoke weed by any chance?
>>
>>2162921
I have no answer, but I'd possibly go about talking to a local animal sanctuary and ask how they got started. I know elephants are a world different, but I imagine that talking to them will give you some type of insight.

Also, there is two elephant sanctuaries in the US(assuming you're in the us) that I imagine you know about, but if not:

https://www.elephants.com/
http://www.pawsweb.org/
>>
>>2162952
College is simple: read between 50-100 books and get a piece of paper as evidence.
>>
File: 1465334468423.jpg (94 KB, 812x806) Image search: [Google]
1465334468423.jpg
94 KB, 812x806
>>2159085
>calculus
>first year physics
>first year organic chemistry
>hard
>>
>>2158847

I'm your run of the mill dog-&-cat vet, but I will say this - never work with animals if you adore them. There are very few exceptions, like professional dog training or managing therapy dogs for non-profits. But most animal-related professions are at least 50% watching animals suffer.
>>
>>2163493
Yes but is it worth the price, time, and effort nowadays? What majors are, if any?

Should I get a bachelors degree, no matter what it's in, just so that I can say I have one to employers?

Do /an/ related careers typically require higher education, or would you be better off going right to volunteering/work experience?
>>
>>2164623

The rules have always been the same. Go into the healthcare industry, in one form or another. It is the only job security you will find, the only job sector that is always short handed, and one of the best paying sectors because of that.

My sister is a roving nurse - she goes where the demand is, and usually makes arround $80 an hour + travel and lodging paid. She has no house, just a studio apartment. All of it gets saved. She will retire before she's 35. And that's not even a doctor. And it's not like she got lucky with a job. The pay is so good because the demand is so incredibly high.
>>
>>2164629
Thanks anon. I'll keep that in mind, but I doubt I'm cut out for anything medical.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.