[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/, I'm hoping you can help solve a cat mystery. A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 20160501_144307.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160501_144307.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Hi /an/, I'm hoping you can help solve a cat mystery.

A couple of months ago, I brought a second cat, Charlie, into my home. He was found in a Walmart parking lot, and is a little over a year old. When I got him from the coworker who originally found him, he got all of his shots, and the vet said that he's in good health. At the beginning of this month, I took him to get neutered. No problems there, either.

My first cat, Ellie, is quite a bit older - about nine or ten. Not sure if that's relevant.

Here's the mystery: over the past few weeks, Charlie has taken to resting/sleeping next to the shared litter box in our bathroom. At first, he was lying down on the bathmat near the sink, but over time he got closer and closer until he's now lying directly next to the litter box in the closet, on top of the rubber litter mat. He does this regularly.

I tried researching this behavior online, but all I've been able to find is that cats sleeping IN their litter box can be a sign of stress. He's not in it, though, just near it.

I'm also not sure why he would feel stressed - he gets plenty of playtime and affection with me and my wife, and although he play-fights with Ellie, he's always the instigator and she never bothers him when he's relaxing. He has a cat tower by our window, and sits & sleeps there regularly as well, among other places. The litter box seems to be one of his most common resting spots now, though. None of his other behavior indicates stress or discontent as far as I can tell.

If anybody has any insight here, I'd be really appreciative; I'm not sure whether this behavior is something that I should be concerned about or not. Pic related - it's my little buddy. I'll check this thread in the morning.
>>
Bump for knowledge
>>
bump because he is a little cutie
but it doesn't sound like stress or something. did you try to change the litterbox' position? put it in another room. maybe he will follow the box or he lays on the same spot without the box.
>>
File: 20160515_144633.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160515_144633.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
Final bump before I let the thread die. Surely someone else has dealt with this before?
>>
threads last atleast a day fellow dont worry other parts of the world are wakimg up
>>
>>2158078
Charlie is insecure of his surrounding and wants to be near his own scent (litterbox). I suggest you introduce your cats properly and use multi-cat strength litter.

The way I introduced my cats
>buy those 99-cent-store cat litter box
>fill it with pure clay litter
>put it in a separate room, call it base camp for the new cat
>feed your cats at the same time, let them smell each other through the door every meal time
>let your old cat use her own litterbox outside of your bathroom
>let your new cat use his own litterbox inside the bathroom
>there will be a lot of hissy-pissy bullshit going on, ignore it
>switch the cat's locations twice a day for an hour each
>introduce them nose-to-nose after each week of this
>if they try to kill each other, resume separation

whenever my cats fight, I give them a time-out using the separation method. My new cat used to do the same thing until I switched to multi-cat strength litter. Cats are stupid in an animal way, they don't speak English and they only understand scents.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.