[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Training Gone Wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
>dog grabs dirty sock
>tell dog to drop it
>dog drops it
>dog gets treat for dropping without a fight
x50

Now...
>Dog finds dirty socks
>Brings them them to me
>Stares at me, awaiting praise

... And my other dog ...
>dog jumps on couch
>"Off!"
>dog gets down.
>dog gets treat
x50

>dog just puts front paws on couch
>stands tall
>looks at me for the "off" command + treat

sigh,
>>
>>2157921
Well, at least the firsf can help clean up the house
>>
>>2157921
The second dog sounds like he's got it figured out.
>>
i need some help with my pupper. He's extremely nervous and frightened when meeting strangers. His normal reaction is to put his hair up and bark from a distance, but his reaction can vary anywhere from simply avoiding the stranger to even growling. He is extremely easy to startle when he's like this.

I've been taking him on walks to expose him to people, and I tell them to pretend like he's not there. Then once he accepts them, I try to give him a treat. Here's where the problem occurs.

Once he stops being afraid, he's so freaking excited to meet the person i can't give him the treat. He goes right into hyper mode,ears back, tail wagging so hard he can't even walk right, and licking hands/faces.

it's been five months and he hasn't made any progress.

Some things I've noticed about his behavior:

If it's a large group of people, he wont be nervous or scared.

If there's a friendly dog around he wont even notice people. When he finally does, it takes half a second to sniff them and then he accepts them.
if it's an unfriendly dog, he will still warm up to a person faster, just not instantly.

his nervousness decreases when a person crouches down.

Some times he has an 'intermediate' phase between fear and acceptance, where he isn't frightened of a stranger, but is tense. Things can easily send him back to being afraid (like baby talking, or being too excitable)

I've thought about using another dog as a training tool, since he accepts people almost instantly with one around, but I just don't know how to reward him since he gets too excited to take a treat and praise alone doesn't seem to be working.
>>
>>2158214

If doggo is excited to see people, that's already a treat. If he's in the best mood ever, a treat isn't going to improve his mood because there is no cloud higher than cloud 9. It is a good thing if he's excited about people. Eventually he'll learn to not be afraid because bad things aren't happening when he meets people.

Sounds like he has a lot of energy though; try taking him on a long walk before going for interactions with others.
>>
>>2158214
If your dog is afraid or cautious of people. Start far far away. You need to start before he goes over threshold. If he's not taking treats, he's either been pushed too far over threshold or the treats aren't high enough in value. You first need to start with seeing a person from a distance, let the dog see them but don't give the dog time to react. Soon as the dog sees them, treat and then walk briskly in the opposite direction. This is a good way to teach the "let's go" command which comes in handy if you need to get your dog out of a stressful situation on the lead quickly. Anyway, just start at a distance and let the dog's behaviour determine how far he'll go towards strangers. Once he's at the point where he can be in decent proximity with people you can have friends he doesn't know well carry high-value treats to give him to help proof the behaviour. Don't allow him to stay in a situation over threshold for too long because overstimulation is hard to get out of and that mental state is self reinforcing and can become a snap for the dog to enter it. Go slowly. Good luck!
>>
>>2158214
oh and once you can get clolse to people without the dog offering any behaviours that show he's overstimulated with fear to begin with. Then you can start working on him offering calming behaviours before he interacts with people. He needs to learn how to be calm at a distance first, though. You could even ask him to preform multiple tricks while another person stands at a distance. Tricks like sit, down, targetting or looking/focusing on you have a calming affect on the dog and allows them to practice tuning out the environment. Don't allow the dog to greet the person if they've offered a fearful or overlyy excited behaviour beforehand even if the dog has seemed like they've calmed down. If they aren't taking treats or listening to you they are not calm or practicing being calm. Though you can't expect picture-perfectness at this age puppies definitely do learn fast.
>>
>>2158253
>Don't allow him to stay in a situation over threshold for too long because overstimulation is hard to get out of and that mental state is self reinforcing and can become a snap for the dog to enter it.

thanks, I think this might be the reason why the behavior isn't breaking. He spots people and get anxious from pretty far away.
>>
>>2158283
Yes. This is a problem that involves watching and being precise with your dog. I personally find it taxing. I have a similar problem with a new puppy I'm working with. But yeah, do it just out of sight, at the distance, even if its so far you have to guide puppy's eyes with the treat in question towards the object of anxiety, then plop it in immediately, "let's go!" Walk off. Then, rinse and repeat for eons.
>>
Here's how you actually train them

>dog takes sock
>scream at him and take sock
>put him in bathroom in the dark for an hour with nothing in there

X50
Dog is now scared of socks
>>
File: IMG_0828.jpg (4 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0828.jpg
4 MB, 5184x3456
My Doggo likes to nip and bite to engage play, How do I stop him from doing this behavior?
I try and yank on his choker collar, but he thinks that is me playing with me, Then runs around like crazy, then runs up to you and tries to nibble you like corn. (really-fast, and right above the skin, not actually biting) I think its because my dad likes play with him with his hands aggressively.
Wat do? Pic related.
>>
>>2159891
Dominate your dad
>>
>>2159891
Had this problem with my gsd pup when I first got her. Cept she bit way too hard. Anyway, when a pup is riling himself up the last thing you want to do is rile them up more. Choking feels like a dog biting on your dogs neck when they're playing their brains can't tell the difference especially at that age. basically if a dog is hopped up on that adrenaline dopamine soup, you can only dew one thing and that is teach the dog self control. Basically all you can do in that situation is use preventative measures to set your dog up for success. Letting a dog nip to play isn't a bad thing but if that's what you don't want in a dog tell your dad to cut it out. Always keep a toy handy all over the house, when the pup runs up to you and is about to nip, put it in their mouth. It helps if its a squeaky toy. Soon, the pup will learn that that's how he can let you know he wants to play and when you hear squeaking you can reinforce him choosing to squeak instead of bite for your attention by playing with him. If you want to teach the dog to stop biting at all, you'll have to teach the dog self control concerning their prey drive by lightly making any triggering motions around the dogs face and marking+rewarding when he chooses not to bite you or when he chooses to stop biting you. Seems like he has bite inhibition down since the bites don't hurt so its safe to teachh him no bite now. Combine this with him growing up and he'll eventually get out of the behaviour. Puppies definitely do stop the play biting with humans eventually but since your dad has reinforced it you'll likely need to help him stop by desensitizing him to stimulating movements and rewarding him when he chooses not to bite.
>>
>>2159919
Thanks for the advice anon.
I've been working on keeping a toy handy, but My other family members aren't so great with dealing with him when he gets so hyper, He is probably about a year old now. and when he mouths and whatnot, he doesn't bite hard, so I figured it's not a Huge problem, But I also don't want him going up[ to a stranger and nipping at them to play. He hasn't shown any aggressive tendencies even wit food or bones, So I'm not worried about him being a 'mean' dog.
>>
>>2157921
you played yourself
>>
>>2158224
CLOUD TEN FGT
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.