[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can one be temporarily homeless with a dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: hobo-and-dog.jpg (159 KB, 852x961) Image search: [Google]
hobo-and-dog.jpg
159 KB, 852x961
I'll probably get kicked out or more accurately preemptively leave before getting kicked out after getting my ass kicked.

My dad would probably kill my dog as a way to get back at me for leaving but I'll be homeless indefinitely and I'm not sure if I should put her down or try to take her with me my logic being that a vet killing her would at least be more peaceful than him dragging her out back to shoot or killing with a hammer or something.

I don't have a car and I barely have a thousand bucks in savings but I'm working on getting a job to scrounge up a little more. Are there any other options? Have other anons been homeless with thier pets?
>>
>>2156370
animal shelter or find a friend/family member to keep her till you get a place.

being homeless with a pet is difficult. being homeless and working with a pet and nowhere to keep them is about impossible.
>>
>>2156377
how long do shelters usually hold animals before killing them?
>>
if you do it, youd have to avoid going into urban settings because of moralfags and cars. If you can manage being homless and living in the woods, or atleast having your home base be in the woods, you'll probably be fine.
>>
>>2156379
depends entirely on the shelter, but at least there she's got a chance at being adopted.
>>
>>2156381
leaving a dog tied up and barking in the woods 9 hours a day will just result in her going to the shelter anyways.

At least in the US it will. Our woods aren't that big or that empty.
>>
>>2156386
she's older and has aggression problems when it comes to other dogs. It's selfish but I'd rather put her down with me there than have her wait for a month or so and then get put down.
>>
As someone who has been homeless and has experience with people with people with homeless dogs
>Your dog should and hopefully is friendly with people of all ages.
>If not you best be damned if you're homeless with a companion that will watch your dog if you have to leave it/tie it up
>Even if it's a shitty prepaid phone, have it. Make sure your dog has a collar with info and a vest to let people know its not a stray. This helps a lot, but I've still found dogs with vests because their owners ended up in jail.
> Make sure dog had all of its shots.
>Being homeless with a dog - especially alone - is very difficult. If it's not friendly with people or other dogs then people will avoid you. You are better off giving up your dog BEFORE you are homeless because if it bites someone or attacks another dog, it will most likely be out down.

Also hope you are friendly and outgoing. Be clean. This is the key to being homeless and getting help from strangers. If you look like shit and so does your dog then good luck. Yoyll most likely only hitch up with crustpunk, which are full of HIV and shitty dogs.
>>
Ok OP, if you are serious (and it sounds like you are because I've been in a similar situation and know exactly what you are talking about ), then please take my advice. I've had years of struggling and finally got to an ok place.

First, visit your local welfare/foodstamp office. Tell them straight up that you are couch surfing do to conditions at home being dangerous to your wellbeing. If they push you for details, you -don't - have to tell them, but it helps. Ask for assistance about where you can go and what you can do. You HAVE to get yourself in a stable home situation FIRST. They may be able to get you in a low income house/apartment, get you set up with foodstamps, etc.

Now, while you are doing this, start asking friends/family if they can possibly house your dog while you get your shit together. It is possibly to be homeless an have a dog, but it's VERY difficult on the both of you, so try to have someone watch the dog for a bit. It will be less stress on you as well.

If you manage to get an apartment and are struggling with bills, just remember that dogs are scavengers. You may both have to live off of scraps for a while. Avoid feeding the dog anything in the onion family, dark chocolate , and raisins and you should be good. No bones either as you won't be able to afford an emergency vet.

Goodluck OP. Godspeed.
>>
>>2156388
>Our woods aren't that big or that empty.
You're insane
>>
>>2156410
I don't have any friends and no one in my immediate family is in a position to care for a dog.
>>
>>2156436
hey, it probably seems like you're all alone out there, but leave a dog barking for 9 hours straight and see how many people show up.
>>
>>2156449
I won't be doing the woods thing as I don't think I can get away with poaching or find money or a job there but my dog is pretty quiet for what it's worth.
>>
>>2156454
>america
>go into the woods
>sit on a nice stump, lay backpack down
>"GET ON THE GROUND AND PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD."
>freedom
>>
>>2156466
no closer to
>you can't shoot anything you want any time you want
are you stupid or never gone hunting? poaching is internationally frowned upon
>>
>>2156469
The cops will arrest you for trying to live outside almost everywhere in the country.
I can see where you missed the joke if you're not from the land of the free, home of the $1000 fine for sitting under a tarp tied to a tree.
>>
>>2156471
I've had friends live for months in the same state Park, they'll tell you to leave if it looks like you're trying to live there indefinitely but only if you try to settle in one place at a time.

But of course tell me how shit works in my country.
>>
>>2156476
There are only 5-10 states where vagrancy is legal. I suppose it's nice to be able to camp on government property without being arrested.
(You will be.)

Calling bullshit. That is not what america is like.
Sometimes you will walk for 5 miles and not find a bench or a toilet because the homeless people got them all removed.
>>
>>2156479
>camp on government property without being arrested.(You will be.)
hell, I think you can camp in the Ntl Forest in dispersed camping areas for something like 3 months as long as you switch campsites every couple weeks.
>>
>>2156479
Vagrency laws are nebulous and hardly enforced and free to roam is bullshit if you spend any moment of time thinking about what it means. And define government property, state parks are govt property and so is BLM but you will get sent away if you try that shit on military property or the stoop of a post office
>>
>>2156466
>>2156469
>>2156471
>>2156476
>>2156479
>>2156480
>>2156481
>>>/out/ you stupid faggits, this is /an/
>>
>>2156482
he's asking specifically about options for his pet, which is pretty much /an/.
>>
>>2156481
I used to spend winters under the front counter in my post office lobby. You get a lot of curious looks, but it's better than freezing to death.

but yeah, the cops will tell you to move along if they see you.
>>
It's possible, just carry extra water and food for the dog and mind the weather.
>>
Every person I've ever seen that hops trains has a dog with them.

They're homeless and have a dog. Why can't you?
>>
>>2156370
It can and has been done.

The main concern is having to share your food with it. That is assuming you'll be the broke sort of homeless.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.