[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/ Any of you own bird feeders? I'm trying to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 41431_195[1].jpg (23 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
41431_195[1].jpg
23 KB, 195x195
Hi /an/

Any of you own bird feeders? I'm trying to get small animals to fuck off from mine but want to see if you guys have any ideas which have worked for you that don't involve violence.
I'll probably buy chili pepper and mix it in with the seed (google has provided some numbers for that) but maybe you guys know some better methods
>>
Let your cat outside
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 432x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 432x410
>>2155011
Small animals? Just get a baffle and put the feeder somewhere away from other points of access.
>>
depends on what kind of animals they are, chili powder could harm the birds.
is it hanging from a tree or on a pole, if there are squirrels and its on a pole. grease the pole. if its ants and hanging from a tree, try to get some fishing line and make sure it is strong and slick so it can support the weight of the feeder and so the ants will have nothing to climb on
>>
>>2155370
i think OP meant chili pepper seeds, i've been told here that it doesn't harm birds but the squirrels can't handle it
Come to think of it whole dried chili peppers were in my parrots feed
>>
Depebds on what. Squirrel baffel works pretty good for regular feeders, but we accept that the peanut feeders will always be fair game and the only detterance we do is to put the peanuts out early.
>>
>>2155367
>>2155419
Think I'm gonna try those, I'll check out my local bird store and see if they sell them
I rigged up some plastic cups to do a similar job to see if they'll deter those greedy assholes. How well do squirrels grip plastic? I actually thought I was pretty clever until I noticed those squirrels holding onto the baffle so well in that picture.
>>
>>2155413
This is true, birds are not mammalian, so they do not have the receptors to capsaicin. Which means they are immune to the "spicyness" of pepper seeds.
>>
I used to have one
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.