[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it unethical to eat shark?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: party_hard.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
party_hard.webm
2 MB, 640x480
Is it unethical to eat shark?
>>
>>2154819
It is unethical to eat animals at all.
>>
>>2154821
Even the stupid ones?
>>
>>2154822
Stupid things still suffer.
>>
>>2154819
Shark fin soup is pretty wasteful, because they only use the fin.

If you mean if it's good/bad to eat a thing that eats other things... no it's does not affect it's ethicalness. Everything has a purpose in this system that we call Earth. No that doesn't mean that everything is necessary, if sharks went extinct the Earth would re-adjust. But if we cause too much change too fast it may be it's the human population that gets to be re-adjusted.
>>
>>2154823
Suffering is a part of nature. Is it our species' sole responsibility to minimize suffering?
>>
Nah man

Eat all the sharks you can eat

The less sharks in the ocean the more fishies we can eat XP
>>
>>2154907
That's not how it works. Believe it or not sharks actually help keep the ecosystem healthy.

Also shark meat contains a lot of mercury and urea, which is basically urine. So enjoy your piss meat.
>>
>>2155153

Brain killing piss meat*
>>
>>2154819
No. As long as you're not wasting meat nor over harvesting.

>>2154821
Not it's not. It's not any more unethixcal for me to eat a cow than for it is a lion. We are both carnivores.

>>2154823
>implying life isn't suffering.

>>2154889
Not necessarily, no.
>>
I present the case that it is unethical to not limit your meat intake to the animals that we breed specifically for that purpose, increasing wasted food production as a result and limiting the capability of wild populations to recover from man's strain on them.
>>
>>2154819
Perhaps if you just eat the soup made from fin cartilage but it's certainly unwise to consume any apex predator so long as countries like China and India have industry and coastlines.
>>
>>2155173
>implying eating apex predators is unethical.
Gator is pretty good and raised on farms.
>>
>>2155181
Maybe I should have added 'wild'. Then again your farm raised gators are eating hens that have reached the end of their laying days and are accumulating whatever pesticides and antibiotics and other shit is present in the egg industry.
>>
>>2154819
Nahhh. They're no more valuable than a cow or pig.
>>
>>2155212
And it still tastes delicious and I don't have iron and protein deficiencies like most vegetarians.
>>
>>2155181
Not that anon, but apex predators consume all of the heavy metals from the rest of the food chain, making their meat more rich on mercury, for example, that's unhealty and a bad idea.

Also I have never eaten reptile.
>>
>>2155273
>Implying mercury pollution is a serious concern on bayous.

And yeah, reptile is pretty good. At least gator is. I even got my "pescatarian" ex to eat it.
>>
>>2155221
I don't doubt you. It's on my bucket list.
>>
>>2155276
Oceans circulate and on the Gulf Mercury should be the least of your worries.
>>
>>2155158
We can thrive without animal meat, lions can't.
>>
File: 20160626_151438.jpg (2 MB, 1632x1632) Image search: [Google]
20160626_151438.jpg
2 MB, 1632x1632
>>2154821
Really makes you think
>>
>>2155310
Makes you think what?
>>
>>2155306
>implying
No they could with a very well crafted diet. Just as man can, but there's no point. We eat meat, we enjoy it, there's no point in depriving ourselves of it in the name of some asinine altruism.
>>
>>2154819
Not inherently

But then the Japanese happened
>>
Subjective
>>
>>2154821
There's a difference between eating prey animals such as chickens, cows, rabbits etc and apex predators such as alligators and sharks. Prey animals breed quickly, grow quickly, and are abundant so even if other animals eat them their population does not decrease (cows less so but they produce a lot of meat comparative to the time it takes to breed and raise them)
Apex predators breed and grow slowly, and if they are eaten it affects their population. Shark meat has a lot of toxins in it as well that are dangerous to humans so if it's cooked improperly you'll get mercury poisoning
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 320x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 320x182
>>2155329
Chinese, please. Let's get our stereotypes right, ok.
>>
>>2155337
>cows less so but they produce a lot of meat comparative to the time it takes to breed and raise them
But not when compared to the amounts of water, land and grain consumed by other meatimals. Cows are disastrous to whatever environment they're raised in.
>>
>>2155337
>Uses gators as an example
>Doesn't know that nearly all consumed alligator meat and skin is from sustainably sourced farms.
>>
File: 1454137954457.jpg (101 KB, 659x960) Image search: [Google]
1454137954457.jpg
101 KB, 659x960
>>2155310
That lemur looks tasty
>>
>>2155318
>No they could with a very well crafted diet
They could survive for a while and die prematurely, but not thrive.
>>
>>2155372
Is there other uses for what is used as gator food? You say it's sustainable, but I have hard time believing that.

Off-topic, but just as there seems to be lot of talk about insects as food it's also not a miracle cure
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0118785#abstract0

>However, crickets fed minimally-processed, municipal-scale food waste and diets composed largely of straw experienced >99% mortality without reaching a harvestable size.

So you can't really just feed them waste. I assume similar is true with crocodile/alligator.
>>
Fish have no feelings.
>>
Shark and bake from the Caribbean is fucking delicious. I eat them all the time.
>>
>>2154819
depends.

shark fin soup is incredibly unethical. they mass fish sharks, cut off their fins, and toss the rest of the shark back into the ocean to bleed out.

and it's not even that good.
>>
>>2154821
It is unethical to eat other living beings at all
>>
>>2155477
>mother whale and its son are going through lake
>three smaller whales drown the son to eat that shit later
>no feels
>>
I've eaten shark meat before. You have to eat it fresh. It's very good.
>>
>>2155663
>You have to eat if fresh
IcelandLaughing.png
>>
Those fuckers would eat us if they got a good opportunity. Same with crabs. I say we genocide them.
>>
>>2154821
Studies show that fish do not have the neurological system to feel pain that we do.

Veggies, however, feel pain.
>>
>>2156149
I say we genocide hamsters first, desu.

Pitiful animals. If we didn't baby them, they would have died out, hopefully.
>>
>>2155661
whales are not fish
>>
no, but cutting their fins off and dump them back into the ocean is

But im sure not all sharks that end up on the table have been through that
>>
>>2156145
>catch shark
>kill it onboard
>filet it and grill it right there
How is that so hard to understand? Or even keep it on ice till you get home.
>>
>>2155609
It is unethical to eat. You are not an animal that can't control its urges?

>>2156270
When you harvest them, or when you eat them?
>>
The debate about whether or not fish can feel pain will likely rage on forever (no matter how much evidence is provided for either side of the argument), but it is known unanimously among scientists that sharks DO NOT feel pain.

There is nothing wrong with eating apex predators as long as it's sustainable, but a lot of the commercial fisheries aren't. I quite like shark meat, urea isn't an issue if it's prepared properly and the mercury consumption is negligible unless you're eating a shark every day. I only eat sharks that I've caught myself (and only about 5% of the ones I catch get eaten, the rest are tagged and released). Shark fin soup is also a tasteless waste of time, although I've only had it homemade, never from a restaurant.
>>
File: mysterious runes.png (10 KB, 670x711) Image search: [Google]
mysterious runes.png
10 KB, 670x711
>>2155430
That human looks tasty as well
>>
File: IMG956169.png (694 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG956169.png
694 KB, 719x1280
>>
My grandmother makes me shark fin soup all the time.
Don't really know whether she get's them from shark carcasses or cut off live, but I don't really care since they are so good.
>>
>>2157095
>chinks
>>
>>2156619

>it is known unanimously among scientists that sharks DO NOT feel pain.

do you have a source that says it's unanimous?
>>
>>2157095
Isn't there a hundred alternatives to use instead of shark fin that would taste the same? It's dumb expectation bias shit.
>>
>>2157223
My source is my experience as an ecologist and conversations I've had with marine biologists. I'm not going to drag up journal articles, but check these links.
>https://sharkresearch.rsmas.miami.edu/research/animal-welfare
>http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/s_pain.htm

Even those opposing potentially painful actions on sharks concede that at the very least, any pain they might feel and their reactions towards it is different to other animals
>http://www.sharkdiver.com/do-sharks-feel-pain/

You will find that a lot of people claiming that sharks (and fish in general) feel pain will have ulterior motives (dive industry, ties to PETA, etc). Similarly, those who claim they don't feel pain will be fisherman (both commercial and recreational) or other people with a vested interest. Always best to look for the unbiased stuff.
>>
>>2154823
nope
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.