[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cat with distemper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_1056.jpg (1 MB, 1936x1805) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1056.jpg
1 MB, 1936x1805
four or five days ago, the vet told me my seven-year-old cat, alex, had distemper. unfortunately, we didn't have the money for him to stay at the vet, so he gave alex some liquids and stomach medicine, then sent us home with antibiotics. he had a fever of 105, was vomiting, had diarrhea, and refused to eat or drink. vet told us that his chances were about 50/50, and to make him as comfortable as possible. the stomach medicine stopped the vomiting and since then we've been nursing him with a syringe, giving him water and chicken broth every few hours. I was able to get rid of his fever, (as of a few minutes ago, his temperature was 101.7) and yesterday he started eating and drinking a bit on his own. anybody had experience with feline distemper before? have his chances improved any? also, if he does recover, how worried should I be of him getting sick again from bacteria in the house? I plan on throwing out clothes and towels he's rested on while sick, and bleaching the surfaces in the house, are there any other precautions i should take? can't find much shit about this online and vet's out of office until monday. pic related, that's alex, about a year ago at friend's house
>>
>Poor people complaining that they don't have the means to provide proper care for their pets
Color me shocked.
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png
74 KB, 412x351
mfw implying i was poor seven years ago when i got him and that it's easy finding people who want to adopt a fully grown cat
>>
File: 1394426196160.jpg (53 KB, 460x614) Image search: [Google]
1394426196160.jpg
53 KB, 460x614
>>2154721
>Implying I want to hear lame excuses.
>>
File: image.jpg (932 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
932 KB, 1632x1224
These are questions you should've asked your vet. Write a list of these and visit again.

If you live in the states, Banfield has a good monthly payment plan if you are having a hard affording shots and visits. It's worth it if you just have one cat.

If your cat is eating and drinking I always take that as a great sign.
>>
>>2154721
if you weren't poor then I'm sure you did the responsible thing and set up an emergency fund for your cat. Just use the money from that.
>>
>>2154714
>>2154714
If he made it through the hardest part, then he'll likely survive. Just keep feeding him and watering, mostly distemper kills from the dehydration. If you have to, mix a little plain pedialyte in with the broth and force him to drink with a dropper or syringe.

Other than that, not too much you can do. Keep him away from any other cats, keep your hands clean. As soon as he's healed, get another booster shot. Dogs distemper shots actually needed to be boosted every 2-5 years, so I'm guessing your boy needs another set of boosters.

If you have other cats, get them the boosters as well. They aren't that much.
>>
>>2154716
>>2154723
>>2155395
>pets are for rich people only
Sounds like he did everything right. Reminder that there are humans in America right now without healthcare who wouldn't even get this much medical attention. How many homeless cats do you think there are? How many cats do you think get euthanized in shelters due to not being claimed quickly enough? I thought this was a chill board, not a circle jerk for sanctimonious PETA faggots.
>>
>>2157215
Some of these guys are real faggots is all. Hope your cat will be okay OP.
>>
>>2154714
Gl OP
>>
>>2157215
>sounds like he did everything right.

maybe if he let the cat stay at the vets it would still be alive and kicking
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.