[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi everyone! Does anyone of you keep snails? I want to start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Download.jpg (13 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
Download.jpg
13 KB, 240x180
Hi everyone!

Does anyone of you keep snails? I want to start to get some for food production. Thinking about keeping them outside in Cage about 2mx2m in size maybe larger. Any experiences on the whole thing? Most important stuff to look out for, what Kind of species to use, etc.?
I'm from the mid western part of Germany if that is of any importance.
Any help is apreciated!
>>
id suggest going to restaurants and collect there veg scraps for food. also watch for foods with copper, copper can be poisonous for many species of snails. they will reproduce just like rabbits so for edible snails id buy a few coolers with some holes in the top.
>>
>>2153615
have fun with salmonella
>>
>>2153649
They're not eaten Raw. So no worries :)
>>
>>2153619
Thanks, didn't think about. Great idea!
>>
>>2153619
But what's the Plan with coolers?
>>
>>2153750
it will provide a consistent environment to raise your snails that way you don't need to invest into heating or cooling systems
>>
>>2153828
Ah, thanks.
I'm planning on keeping them outside though. Looking into keeping Helix aspersa or Helix pomatia which are endemic so the climate, seasons and weather shouldn't be a problem. Or am I wrong in thinking that?
>>
>>2153828
Or will that increase yield in comparison to keeping them outside?
Any experience is really welcome and thank for responding so helpfully!
>>
>>2154272
you can store them anywhere as long as its consistent temperature. inconsistent temperatures will cause them to over stress and die so keeping them in like a basement or a garage would be better then outside. even a garden shed would provide a more consistent environment then outside.
>>
I love going out in my garden at night because there's always snails (and slugs) everywhere. They're cute little things and really interesting.

Some people hate them because they eat your plants, but I have enough plants for them to eat without destroying anything.
>>
>>2154272
also it may take a month or 2 before your snails start to reproduce. they tend not birth if there shelter isnt grimy and dirty enough
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.