[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I am hoping to move to a remote area of alaska, I wanna get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1466652963628.jpg (161 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1466652963628.jpg
161 KB, 1024x768
So I am hoping to move to a remote area of alaska, I wanna get a horse.

What kind of horse would do good in the cold? How much care do they need?4

I don't know shit about horses, if this is just a shit idea let me know.
>>
>Keeping a huge animal that's not particularly well suited for cold weather and needs lots of food in a remote frigid area.
Why don't you get a horse of the type used by all of the Inuit and Eskimo people?
>>
>>2153077
Polar bear with harpoon guns strapped to back?
That's how I was always told the Canadians did it.
>>
>>2153081
You're not funny, your thread is shit, and I'm certain that you're a child, but yeah, I'm glad you came to the answer to your dumb question all on your own.
>>
If you're a manlet you can ride a reindeer. Hopefully you're a manlet anyway because the few horses that are 'comfortable' in harsh, cold conditions are pretty small such as icelandic ponies, Yakutian horses, mongolian horses, Connemaras, Norwegian Fjords, etc.

Most horses can tolerate cold winters with the proper shelter and clothes but I don't think it'd be very fair for them depending what the temperature is like year round. Also horses require a shit ton of care. Why do you want a horse? Just to ride? Do you want to use it for work, what kind of a terrain do you plan on using it in? You have to keep those questions in mind. If you plan on riding through the rocky wilderness then good luck. I'd look for a mule crossed with one of the above mentioned breeds.
>>
>>2153082
I'm op not him, and thanks for being a presuming bitch
>>
>>2153085
Thanks, i wasn't set on getting one. If I did it would definitely have shelter and it would be primarily a companion / means of transportation in the warm seasons.
>>
>>2153090
The first and third part still hold. :^)
>>
>>2153085
I might consider going to colorado, it's just that my family already has land in alaska.

Are there any horsebros out there that have a breed that they really like? If I don't have to worry about extreme weather conditions I just want to go for a nice and smart one.
>>
>>2153101

Unless you're really into a specific look, or have a very particular need for it, for the most part a horse is a horse. You're going to find a ton of variation in all of the types and breeds, but for the most part warm-bloods are spirited, drafts are mellow, etc..

With rampant over-population forcing excellent animals into meat auctions and rescues, there's no reason to go with a breeder or something unless again you're looking for something far more specific than just 'nice and smart'.
>>
>>2153111
I don't know where I'd start to look for adoption, but I will remeber this.
>>
>>2153076
>he wants to ide a horse in alaska
>not a fucking moose or a reindeer
>>
>>2153101
>I might consider going to colorado
don't
>>
>>2153077
>Keeping a huge animal that's not particularly well suited for cold weather

Horses handle the cold pretty well, anon. They're muscular animals with a low surface area proportionate to their mass which means they generate a lot of heat and actually have trouble losing rather than retaining it, they have long nasal passages which warm air before it reaches their lungs, and bony legs which are very resilient to frostbite even when standing in snow drifts all day. As long as you don't get a thin-skinned, lightly-built breed, they cope very well so long as they have plenty of hay and a field shelter to get out of rain/wind. Issue with OP would be care rather than the cold, especially in a remote location.
>>
>>2153569
this
get yourself a moose, op
>>
>>2153076

Get a motorcycle with snow chains, and it's a steel horse you ride. You're wanted dead or alive.
>>
>>2153076
just get some reindeers
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 304x244) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 304x244
>>2153076
Do you know the way to Horse Beach?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.