[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Therapy Dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Boston-therapy-comfort-dog.jpg (358 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
Boston-therapy-comfort-dog.jpg
358 KB, 900x582
Has anyone here ever had their dog certified as a therapy dog?

What was the certification process like, where have you taken them, and what has your experience been like?

I have a very sweet dog that I think would be a good candidate for being a therapy dog.
>>
>>2145161
>Implying therapy and support animals are anything but a scam to let people claim their pet is a service animal and take it where it would otherwise be forbidden.
>>
>>2145163

So?
>>
>>2145164
>Enabling shitty selfish people.
No thanks.
>>
Oh that's right, this board is terrible

I forgot
>>
>>2145164
Maybe he means that the system is abused to an extent where it becomes ineffective.
>>
>>2145163
The dog club my daughter is in brings them to retirement homes and a children's hospital all the time. I can tell you from experience that the sick kids and old people get more out of it than the owners of the dogs.
>>
OP here,

I don't know if its okay, because I know rules about who can and can't enter are strict, but what I would like to do is take him to kid's group homes and foster homes, or foster kid events (sometimes they do picnics and stuff)

I was a foster kid, and one thing a lot of people might not think about is how boring it is. As a teenager in a group home, they stick you with 5 other kids who are all going through personal shit and one or two TVs and no after school programs and no going out with friends and expect you all to just get along and do your homework. I know its not a solution to that, but I know how happy it made us when a staff member would bring their dog over to play.
>>
>>2145202
I have no idea where you would go for an actual service dog certificate or anything, I would suggest checking with dog obedience trainers.
I can tell you that my daughter joined a dog club through 4H and that's how she gets to do it, but there is no title or anything associated with it. 5 or 6 times a year they take the dogs out to retirement homes and a children's hospital like I said here>>214519.
I know the leader for the group is the one that set this up, they've been doing it for years. I don't know if this is something commonly done in 4H groups elsewhere, but it might be. Good luck.
>>
The two biggest therapy dog groups are TDI and Pet Partners (Delta Society), check out their websites for more information about going for therapy certifications. The single most important characteristic of a therapy dog is a calm, easygoing, obedient temperament; so if you haven't already, start working on obedience. Go for a CGC, at minimum.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/
https://petpartners.org/
>>
>>2145163
you're an idiot and there's a difference between a therapy dog and a service dog.

>>2145165

give one example of where this might apply
>>
>>2145161
I had a dog that was certified mad"were divorced now"
>>
>>2145252
>Name one example
The countless episodes of people bringing their irritating animals on planes, trains, hotels, restaurants, because they're shitty and selfish.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35301871
>>
>>2145163
Therapy dogs and Emotional Support Animals are different. Therapy dogs actually do Have to pass a test, but they can not be allowed places with their owners where other dogs are not allowed. Therapy dogs can, if an appointment is set up, go to hospitals and schools and nursing homes and shit.

ESA is the one where you buy a certificate online and people try to pity their way into places with an I'll behaved dog. I won't be surprised if the people who have ESA actually think they are therapy dogs though because they are that dumb.

Now SERVICE dogs are dogs that are trained usually as puppies to aid a person in everyday life. While working, they are not considered pets but working animals. They are allowed places other dogs can't go.
>>
>>2145292
refer to >>2145470

the people who have therapy animals generally face the same restrictions as other people when it comes to where they can take their pets. service animals help people get by in their day to day lives.

i don't understand why a minor, infrequent inconvenience makes you so pissy when it helps those people get by in their day to day lives
>>
>>2145492
I'm not that person, but I've already come in contact with enough "emotional support animals" to realize 99% of them are a crock of shit.
I have no issue with legitimate service animals, but you do have to admit the ESA fuckers are preying on the fact that most people don't know there's a difference.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.