[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just had an argument with a friend because she thinks zoos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
I just had an argument with a friend because she thinks zoos shouldn't exist, but I think they're too valuable to get rid of. What do you guys think?
>>
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they only matter if you want to fuck them.
>>
It depends on the zoo, check out the blackfish thread. We talk about how zoos are way better than seaworld and the positives about zoos in general.
But really it depends you have some great zoos that breed rare animals that would be killed by third world people, promote interest in animals, promote conversation of endangered animals and provide genuine interesting scientific facts.
But on the other hand you have shit tier zoos like that one in Argentina that basically barbecued their polar bear with their tiny non air conditioned outdoor enclosure.
>>
I'd be ok with zoos if they specialized in something rather than mixing all sorts of shit up and expecting it to be fine.

things like indoor butterfly gardens are great, because they specialize in butterflies.

etc.
>>
>>2143409
This pretty much.

Only thing I would add is we have to get great apes out of zoos. Looking an ape in the eyes through the glass wall of their enclosure is heartbreaking
>>
Zoos should only be a way of saving species from extinction and education about said species. The enclosures must resemble the natural environment of the species and be large enough.
Most zoos are shit and the so-called animal lovers who work there should be ashamed and so should the guests
>>
>>2143427
> saving species from extinction
> The enclosures must resemble the natural environment of the species

if the species did so poorly in their natural environment that they're nearly extinct what's the point of replicating that environment.
>>
>>2143419
I like this idea.
>>
>>2143432
Because most notable endangered species are dying because of third world niggers and chinks keep poaching them.
>>
>>2143444
most animals appear to fare a lot better in a plastic tub with a hide than they do in their native habitat.
>>
>>2143448
Thats because they get their food handed to them, medical care and have no poachers or predators.
This is not satisfying solution, preventing poaching and destruction of habitat should be the end game.
Stop China should be the main objective, stopping the poacher is not going to work if you were starving and you could easy money off some big animal you would probably do it without caring.
It is the chinks with their stupid medicine that is the problem, those fuck that snort rhino horn because they think it makes their tic tac weiners hard need to be told no.
>>
>>2143451
this thread is about animals in captivity, not wild animals.

there's no reason to make the enclosure of an animal natural.
>>
>>2143454
You said animals fair better in a plastic tub, that is true but the point I was making that is is not right and should do more to protect the wild species by conservation.

I have seen great apes get treated like kings yet look miserable.
>>
>>2143454
Well, look at it this way: Showing a stimulated animal interacting in an exhibit that resembles its natural environment is more educational and enjoyable for the guests attending at the zoo.
>>
>>2143454
It looks nicer, for a start - nobody would prefer to see toilet roll tubes and newspaper substrates as opposed to planted natural-ish vivs and enclosures. One of the main purposes of zoos is to spark an interest in a child's mind, and make them care about animals and the world outside their sheltered urban bubble - if everything there is visually dull and doesn't even resemble the outdoors then that's going to be a lot more difficult to do. A semi-natural environment is presumably a lot more stimulating for the inhabitants too.
>>
>>2143455
>the point I was making that is is not right and should do more to protect the wild species by conservation
this thread is about zoos.
>>2143456
people don't go to zoos to be educated.

they go to zoos to watch stupid chimps and eat junk food and generally get rid of the kids for a few hours.
>>2143467
>. One of the main purposes of zoos is to spark an interest in a child's mind, and make them care about animals and the world outside their sheltered urban bubble
the main purpose of a zoo is to make money.
>A semi-natural environment is presumably a lot more stimulating for the inhabitants too.
most of them don't really care as long as they've got a rock to crawl under.

just use a fuckton of plastic plants and fake rocks, it's not like city people can tell the difference anyway.
>>
>>2143475
>this thread is about zoos.
Nigger read OPs thread, his initial question is weather zoos are right or wrong, my argument is that it depends on the zoo but they should not be the permanent solution for some species.
But I am beginning to think you are a shitposter like all tripfags, you here to take bugguys crown?
>>
>>2143480
>they should not be the permanent solution for some species.
they should not but they are and you should learn how to deal with it.

elephants and rhinos are never going to thrive in their native habitat as long as humans exist.
>>
>>2143484
>you should learn how to deal with it.
Nah
>elephants and rhinos are never going to thrive in their native habitat as long as humans exist.
There should be more effort to stop it.
>>
>>2143487
Mutate the black plague with no cure and only affects 3rd world races.
>>
>>2143487
>There should be more effort to stop it.
that's a waste of time and money.

just put them in a heated enclosure somewhere in europe and quit whining.
>>
>>2143488
the problem is caused by rich asian people so that's not going to solve anything.
>>
>>2143488
The black plague does not affect Europeans or people of European descent, we are immune to it. So it does not need to be changed.
>>
>>2143395
Tell your friend to shoot herself
>>
>>2143490
>imblying rich chinks could escape well-deployed ethnic bioweapons
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.