[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do animals ever cheat on each other in any way? Is there such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
Do animals ever cheat on each other in any way? Is there such a thing as lying among them?
>>
>>2143193
Liarbirds lie by pretending to be other birds with their calls - hence the name "Liar"bird
>>
>>2143193
Females of certain parrot species can have up to 10 mates
Each one is willing to feed her and protect the young
None of them know about the other 9
>>
>>2143217
Despicable

Cuckoos lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and as adults mimic sparrowhawks

More deception than lying though
>>
A certain species of cuttle fish will have an alpha male watching over a bunch of females, right? But then there's these beta male cuttle fish that want to mate as well. Alphas don't want their shit, and can quickly overpower the betas. The beta cuttlefish have now adapted to mimic a female to sneak past the alpha male into the harem of females, and then the beta gets to reproduce right under the alpha's beak.
>>
Prairie voles cheat on their mates.
>>
>>2143208
except it spelled lyrebird
>>
>>2143193
There's deception everywhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_in_animals

But maybe you mean lying as the cognitive process and that shit. I don't think it's meaningful and it's the same basic principle: trying to gain an advantage over something else.
>>
>>2143208

wew. lyre.
as in the instrument.
jesus. have you voted?
please don't.
>>
>>2143284
>>2143312
T. Liars
>>
Somewhat related- something I've been thinking about.
Every other species but humans either mates for life or doesn't stick to a single partner. Only humans can go either way, some stay with one their whole lives, some don't.
>>
>>2143474
We surpassed our programming. It's now culture that decides those things. You know, that Dawkins' meme shit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.