[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long should I let my dog chew for? I feel like he would chew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 20160611_110032_010.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160611_110032_010.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
How long should I let my dog chew for? I feel like he would chew this bone all day if he could.

(He is only in his crate because he resource guards against out other dog.)
>>
>>2142844
As much as he seems to love his bone, those are really bad for dogs. I would take it away completely and give him something healthier for him.
>>
>>2142844

Depends on the bone. Raw hide are definitely dangerous and should only be used as treats. And even then, only a little bit. They can cause impaction. We don't keep them in our house because we have 2 dogs, both over 150#, and they can eat a 12" rawhide bone with knotted ends in less than 30 minutes, and that's WAY too much too fast.

Other bones, like cow hooves, are fine. But stick to uncooked ones from a butcher or such (harder to find in some places than others). Cooked ones are a lot more brittle and won't last very long.
>>
>>2142889
>>2142895

Its a raw cannon bone from a steer, he wont chew synthetic stuff and I dont want to give him rawhide.
>>
>>2142895
>all the stuff about rawhide

same with my dog. he goes insane for rawhide so I never buy him any. if we visit family members who have dogs, he'll spend the whole time stalking the other dogs and trying to devour their rawhides. he swallowed a little rawhide knot whole once and luckily I was on top of him immediately to help him vomit it up
>>
>>2142906
There are tons of better chew stuff. Deer antlers, bull pizzle, pig ears... to name a few. He looks like a pretty big guy, so you may only be able to do antlers.

You can also try nylabones as well. They are a godsend.
>>
>>2142916
does your dog actually chew those nylabones? my dog wont do anything with it
>>
>>2142956
have you tried playing with the nylabone? make it really exciting for the dog. i had a similar issue but he got into it when i made the nylabone seem like a fun thing to play with. let me know if that works with your doggo
>>
>>2142916
>You can also try nylabones as well. They are a godsend.

What the fuck man.
Not OP but I got one of those the other day for my Border Collie. Shit said it was "highest strength" for dogs 40+ in weight.

5 minutes in and she was already making 2-3 mm bite marks with little pieces hanging off.
>>
>>2142977
uhh, that's what supposed to happen. do you think it is made of rock? no. it's made of nylon.

I really question the intelligence of some people who come to this site. What did you think was going to happen to it? really? It wasn't going to give whatsoever and break your dog's teeth?
>>
>>2142977
That's supposed to happen. What you don't want is big choke-hazard chunks coming off.
>>
>>2142916

4u
>>
>>2142991

is this copypasta?
why so brutal m8?
>>
If you want a healthier alternative to bones, try buying Pig Ears.

Pets Mart and most other pet stores should have them.
>>
>>2143575

They only last about 5 minutes with this guy. Im after something to stop him chewing the sides of the house, his adult teeth have just come in.
>>
>>2143575

Pig ears aren't a chew, they're a treat. Working in kennels, I've seen them completely eaten in a minute flat.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.