[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are German Shepherd's back legs so stubby? Like it almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
File: German-Shepherd.jpg (22 KB, 389x308) Image search: [Google]
German-Shepherd.jpg
22 KB, 389x308
Why are German Shepherd's back legs so stubby? Like it almost looks like they aren't able to stand up all the way.

Are they supposed to be like that? It doesn't seem like a very good physique for a herding dog.
>>
>>2140912
Those are the inbred AKC standard. Working class german shepards that don't have a boatload of genetically inherited diseases look like perfectly normal dogs.

There's a reason why most german shepards who are used in police, rescue, and airport security are imported from outside of this country.
>>
>>2140918
Why are AKC standards so stupid?

How hard is it to get a real German Shepherd in the states?
>>
>>2140912
It's a show posture, their legs are normal length. It's called a stack, the back legs are bent to make the dog crouch a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGX0G-KTlAE
>>
>>2140923

This, though that's not to say that frog dogs aren't also a thing (and, let me tell you, it's depressing to watch them walk).

There are plenty of great GS breeders in the US. Look for working lines, particularly those that compete in obedience. Just be sure you're ready for what you're getting into before committing to a puppy.
>>
>>2140922
I had one growing up who had normal legs, but we got her from my rich uncle's probably rich neighbor.
>>
>>2140918
>>2140924
Still be careful by breeders claiming to have working shepherds. This breed has really been driven into the ground, and it's incredibly difficult to find an actually good breeder. Even those claiming to breed working dogs can have part frogs. But looking for a working dog is your best bet
>>
Those are the cucked showline GSDs, if you want a real German Shepherd you need a proper working line without any genetic issues.

t. Ausfag with two specifically bred working line GSDs (1 Czech/German line, 1 Dutch line)
>>
File: 29135_58030.jpg (84 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
29135_58030.jpg
84 KB, 620x400
>>2140922

>Why are AKC standards so stupid?

The push for an extreme, mostly. The German Shepherd is meant to have a long stride, and over time that resulted in an unbalanced dog with a sloping and/or roached frame and frog legs. The heavy stacking is meant to accentuate it, but it can also hide (or create the illusion of) a ton of issues. You really need to see the dog in motion to truly judge their movement.

This is not a strictly American problem, this is a breed problem across the globe. Pick is an Austrian-bred world champion (this picture is posted on his stud page, by the way).

Here are some nightmares from Germany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l5fsUkIk1Q
And here's two frogs competing for best of breed at Crufts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBq6gM0sI7A
>>
>>2141059

*To truly judge their conformation

Someday I'll learn to re-read my posts
>>
File: tumblr_m753c2bZkh1rb6jlco1_500.jpg (86 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m753c2bZkh1rb6jlco1_500.jpg
86 KB, 500x324
>>2141059

Compare to the far more solid frame of a working-line German Shepherd. There's still a ton of reach in the trot, but this dog looks like it could handle working all day long as the breed should be able to.
>>
File: werklijn_kynologische_lijn.jpg (15 KB, 352x171) Image search: [Google]
werklijn_kynologische_lijn.jpg
15 KB, 352x171
Dog shows are the most detrimental thing to dogs imo.

Get rid of "pedigree" and just start breeding for type again.
>>
File: image.jpg (649 KB, 800x727) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
649 KB, 800x727
>>2141223
Conformation registries are most detrimental.

We should be breeding for function, not form. Dog shows showcasing these qualities (like sheepdog trials or whatever) are just fine, and generally promote health and ability.
>>
>>2141228
What's up with those back legs?
>>
>>2141059
That's honestly unnerving since I've never seen a German Shepherd like that in real life.
>>
>>2141332
it's not really what the animal looks like.

this one is crouched and pulling on the leash.

the anon loves to find pics of the animals in odd postures and pretend that's some genetic abnormality. It's just a picture. If it were real he'd have video. Or better yet, x-rays.
>>
>>2141337

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DYr6W1nZ5A

If you insist. Here's a video of him moving like a trainwreck.
>>
File: magnum von morrow 7.jpg (535 KB, 600x791) Image search: [Google]
magnum von morrow 7.jpg
535 KB, 600x791
>>2141316

http://sheprescue.org/Magnum%20von%20Morrow.html

Before this one gets accused of being faked, too.

He was donated to a shelter from a breeder who couldn't sell him, the problem with his hind legs comes from extreme angulation and poor muscle tone.
>>
>>2141345
ok I take it back. He really does look like that.

he seems to be able to run just fine. So the only complaint I can see with it is you don't like the way it looks.

If we're pretending everything you don't like the looks of is a deformity then you need to publish a list of what you do and don't like so we can get to work building your perfect world for you.
>>
>>2141359
Stop being an idiot, thanks.
>>
>>2141377
>stop liking things I don't like
so what's actually wrong with the thing?

other than you don't like how it looks?
>>
>>2141359

>he seems to be able to run just fine. So the only complaint I can see with it is you don't like the way it looks.

Jesus. You know when it gets older it's going to be completely fucked right?
>>
Pet show judges like a german shepherd with sloped backs and stubby legs even though its shitty for the actual dog. A good German shepherd has a straight back. No police or military dogs have sloped backs.
>>
>>2141386

The extreme angulation and exaggerated stride makes the dog incredibly inefficient. It takes a great deal more effort to move, and adds excess stress to the joints, which tires it out quickly and leaves the dog prone to injury. Speed, agility, and longevity have been sacrificed for this look.

The dog is not able to 'run and jump just fine', it's designed to trot and that's all. If you want to see a dog like this just trying to walk, not even performing a complex movement, go back and look at the Crufts video where the hind legs curl up under the body. This is why police departments around the world are increasingly moving away from GSD's. It's getting harder to find ones that can handle the job because of the movement towards the extreme.
>>
>>2141412
What breeds are they opting for instead of GSDs?
>>
>>2141455

The belgian malinois is the leading alternative.
>>
>>2141461

Theyre also breeding for type from GSDs. Our Police have their own breeding program.
>>
>>2141059
Goddamn...those poor dogs. Why the fuck do they even allow that to be best in show? That dog wouldn't be able to perform it's job, which is what you're supposed to look for in a best in show.
>>
My buddy has a King Shepherd mixed with a working like shepherd and the dog is beautiful and growing really well. His gait looks good and he walks like a wolf, it's actually really cool to watch.

I've been wanting a german shepherd for ten years and I think I'm going to contact these breeders for one.
>>
>>2141386
I bet you think there's nothing wrong with breeding bulldogs with such narrow hips that if it wasn't for C sections both the mothers and puppies would all die because the puppies literally can't fit through the mothers pelvic bones when passing through the birth canal.

As a general rule of thumb, if something looks fucked up, it usually is fucked up.
>>
>>2140912
so they can squeeze into tight places (like your ass)

Cops supposedly use them because they're light enough through windows, short back legs are great for that.
>>
File: ss (2013-02-02 at 07.22.46).png (826 KB, 1190x462) Image search: [Google]
ss (2013-02-02 at 07.22.46).png
826 KB, 1190x462
German Shepherds over the years were selectively bred to give them the "slope back"
>>
>>2141359
I can't believe there are people as completely stupid as you.

Either that or you're a scummy showbreeder
>>
>>2141586

Police dogs don't have the exaggerated back slope and they're tested on their ability to leap hurdles (A-frame, walls, chain fences, etc) which would be seriously hindered by stubby back legs.

There is nothing inherently practical about the slope back. In some dogs, it's simply a show stance - many horse and dog breeds are stood out/stacked to show off their conformation. It's not a problem in itself, but unfortunately people like to exaggerate breed traits to the point where it's no longer practical. Shepherds are supposed to have a long, low prowling gait for actual shepherding, so a roach back gives them an exaggerated appearance without actually contributing to freedom and economy of movement. Arab horses are meant to have a clean throatlatch, so people breed horses with snake-necks and then give them plastic surgery until they've got a throat you could wrap your hand around. Bulldogs are meant to be sturdily built and broad-skulled, so people breed squat bobble-headed wheezy gargoyles that are completely non-functional.
>>
Kennel club standards should be declared straight-out illegal.

It's not just animal cruelty, it's an entire social structure that encourages cruelty.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (6 KB, 240x162) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
6 KB, 240x162
>>2141998

I agree. Neos should be banned from shows until the breeders get their shit back together.
>>
>>2141349
>>2141228
Rabbit kangaroo dog
He's cute though
>>
>>2141461
Why are they breeding malinois over say, poodles which are typically healthy and common? Is it just cause malinois look similar to gsd's or what exactly? It seems silly
>>
>>2141332
i have
in my hometown i've seen a guy walk around with a german shepherd like that a couple of times.
it's sad to watch
>>
>>2141228
>>2141349
Poor dude.

He's a fukin qt though.
>>
>>2142654

The intimidation factor of a police dog is almost as important as their athleticism. Poodles just aren't scary enough.
>>
>>2142688
I'm not sure poodles are that great at bitework, either, which may be a consideration.

Poodles were originally retrieving/hunting dogs intended to go after water fowl.
>>
File: 1213112964.jpg (31 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
1213112964.jpg
31 KB, 533x400
>>2142654
>>2142688
>>2142750

There are certain traits required of a suspect apprehension dog, other than those mentioned, which makes the poodle a definite no and a GSD almost perfect.

1. It must be low-maintenance. A GSD might require at least bi-weekly brushing, but a poodle has one of the most labor-intensive coats on the market. Adding to that, they must have a coat able to handle both heat and cold. A poodle can, but that leaves it either very fluffy or very scrawny (neither of which is intimidating).

2. They must be flexible when it comes to trainers. A police dog may need to permanently switch handlers at moment's notice, wasting tens of thousands of dollars if they refuse to obey someone new. Poodles are one-man dogs, GSD are very flexible.

3. A police dog is essentially a tool in the shape of a dog, it's raised to obey orders without question. Failing to do so puts both it's, and it's handler's, life in jeopardy. A dog who's intelligent and/or self-preserving enough to stop and ask 'why?' when faced with a potentially deadly situation is too dangerous to use. Poodles fall into this group, as do breeds such as Doberman (one of many reasons they've fallen out of fashion). GSD can and do throw themselves into danger without hesitation.

All this being said, there have been police departments who've utilized poodles for things such as drug sniffing or search-and-rescue (pic is a search-and-rescue toy poodle in Japan). You just won't ever see them moving past that.
>>
File: Memazo.png (878 KB, 730x587) Image search: [Google]
Memazo.png
878 KB, 730x587
>>2140912
related
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.