[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/, what kind of wasp is this? Its only about the length
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 20160605_153611.jpg (706 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160605_153611.jpg
706 KB, 3264x2448
Hey /an/, what kind of wasp is this?

Its only about the length of a fingernail, maybe a little smaller, and it hovers really well and darts around quickly.
>>
>>2139158
Not a wasp, it's a hoverfly
>>
>>2139160
Thanks, i just looked it up. Those markings really had my ignorant ass fooled.
>>
File: 20160605_154952.jpg (518 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160605_154952.jpg
518 KB, 3264x2448
Man nature is so fuckin cool. It even moves its abdomen around like a stinger.
>>
>>2139162
Well, its mimicry was effective after all.
>>
>>2139164
Maybe it's trying to mate or lay eggs on your toe.
>>
>>2139165
Do you think its just a series of random mutations that allowed the ones who looked more like wasps to live and reproduce? Or was there some kind of "plan"?
>>
>>2139167
I do have a good lookin foot, too bad my sandal modeling career never took off
>>
>>2139169
I doubt a bunch of flies congregated one day and decided to copy the color patterns of wasps, so I'll go with the mutations hypothesis
>>
>>2139173
Thats what the quotation marks were for, i meant plan as in the insects biology selected the wasp somehow for its ability to ward off predators. Even the behavior is pretty similar to wasps, from the way the wings are held out to the tail wagging and acting like its got a stinger.
>>
>>2139176
That would take a long discussion. Let's say that hoverflies mimic wasps well enough to fool predators. During the course of evolution the flies that did not mimic efficiently enough were selected against.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.