[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THESE SHITS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Crane_fly_on_window.jpg (274 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Crane_fly_on_window.jpg
274 KB, 1280x960
What are their purpose besides flying like total retards and usually going for a crash course straight into your fucking face out of fucking nowhere?
>>
isn't that enough?
>>
>>2137022
I'd rather wanted them to be broilers with this behavior.
>>
They eat other insects
>>
>>2137188
No they don't. That's a myth.
>>
>>2137021
If i'm not wrong they are a important part of the regime of bats, but i've always been curious about their place in a ecosystem. I don't see any except that.
>>
>>2137021
Animals don't have "purposes". They have ecological niches.
>>
>>2137040
Yeah I guess they're just easy food for all kinds of animals, that's why they love to fly into your face
>>
File: wasp.png (1 MB, 976x942) Image search: [Google]
wasp.png
1 MB, 976x942
>>2137021

Stop being a pussy, they don't even have mouths.
>>
>>2137021
At least they're harmless.
Imagine if these fuckers drank blood.
>>
Those things used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid but don't really bother me anymore. Is still kind of annoying when they fly right into my face though.
>>
They can be pollinators.
>>
>>2137292
You're fucking retarded. In their adult forms they don't have mouths, but if they didn't eat mosquito larvae and such when they themselves are larvae then they would starve to death and the species would go extinct.

But obviously they are eating just fucking fine because they are still alive and breeding.
>>
>>2137939
No, they don't eat at all
>>
File: bait.jpg (32 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
32 KB, 960x960
>>2137951
>>
>>2137959
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis
>>
Spread disease, limit population, feed other bugs and fish and what not. A lot actually, more so for fish. Still the worst example of a creature ever. Especially if youve REALLY been in the thick of them, then you understand they can take a motherfucker out while theyre sleepin.
>>
>>2137939
Most of them do have mouths, but they only live for a short time that they rarely eat before death, although they may eat a bit of nectar
>>
>>2137021
Had one of these fucks in my bathroom last night so fucking annoying they keep flying straight onto my nutsack and try and get inside my ass
>>
>>2138275
You should've let him anon. They lay eggs in your asshole, and the larvae feed on your shit. And when you go to sleep one day 20 years in the future, they all come out... All 17,000 of them and they spread the world with your ass juices for the other flies that lived in other asses across the country and it rains down ass juice on all the neighborhoods for 3 weeks straight. Isn't nature wonderful?
>>
>>2137021
That's a brown recluse
>>
>>2138275
>>2138286
sometimes I forget even /an/ is part of 4chan. Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>2138337
and you're a brown ruse
>>
>>2137021
they eat roots like grass roots n shit.
>>
>>2137021
I mean, they probably pollinate something
>>
>>2137021
i remember tricking one of the slightly... challenged kids, that those things fly into people's ears and lay eggs once when we were camping with the school.
it was pretty funny.
>>
>>2137021
>What are their purpose
>>2137188
>>2137939
Hold up, let's settle this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly
>Adults have a lifespan of 10 to 15 days.
>Crane fly larvae (leatherjackets) have been observed in many habitat types on dry land and in water, including marine, brackish, and fresh water
>Larvae may eat algae, microflora, and living or decomposing plant matter, including wood. Some are predatory.
The sources given for the predatory nature basically say almost all aren't predatory, and only a few larvae are opportunistically omnivorous as far as I can tell.
>The larvae of some species consume other living aquatic insects and invertebrates, which could potentially include mosquito larvae. Many adults, however, have such short lifespans that they do not eat at all.
>Despite widely held beliefs that adult crane flies (or mosquito hawks) prey on mosquito populations, the adult crane fly is anatomically incapable of killing or consuming other insects.
>The common European crane fly, Tipula paludosa, and the marsh crane fly, T. oleracea, are agricultural pests in Europe. Crane fly larvae of economic importance live in the top layers of soil where they feed on the roots, root hairs, crown, and, sometimes the leaves of crops, stunting their growth or killing the plants. They are pests on a variety of commodities. Since the late 1900s, T. paludosa and T. oleracea have become invasive in the United States
So they're fucking shitty things.
>>
>>2139236
Oh my fucking God
>In 1935, Lord's Cricket Ground in London was among venues affected by leatherjackets. Several thousand were collected by ground staff and burned, because they caused bald patches on the wicket (border of the pitching area) and the pitch (strip of ground where they pitch the ball, evidently) took unaccustomed spin for much of the season.
That's like fucking up the area of and between the pitchers mound and home plate at Yankee stadium, fucking crane flies.
These are the invasive fuckers we have here in the SF Bay Area: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipula_oleracea
My hate feels validated.
>>
>>2139236
>So they're fucking shitty things.
who'd have thought
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.