[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a ten year old cat. She's amazing, in great physical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
I have a ten year old cat. She's amazing, in great physical health, and a sweetheart.

She has always been skittish around strangers from day one. It used to be that she would go an hide when the doorbell rang, or when someone she wasn't familiar with came over, but that shit changed drastically a couple years ago.

Our neighbor rang the doorbell one day, and the cat went absolutely batshit insane. Hissing, screaming, claws out, puffed out tail, would take it out on me when I tried to pick her up, the whole nine yards. It was completely out of left field, because she had NEVER reacted like this before. She ended up sitting in front of the door "guarding it" for like the next twelve hours, and if I tried to pick her up or distract her, she flat out refused to move.

So the last two years, she has had this same exact reaction to the doorbell every single time it rings. It never fails. When we have food delivered, we have to lock her up in a closet. We had a repairman over working on our fridge a couple weeks ago, and I had to load her in her crate and I just drove her around for an hour and a half, because if a stranger was in the house, she would have had a meltdown that put Chernobyl to shame. And today, I could tell someone had rang the doorbell when I was gone, because I walked in the front door and she immediately pounced and batted at me before she recognized my face.

It's just bizarre, because she's normally so docile and loving, and also due to the fact that this behavior literally came out of nowhere. I know that cats are extremely territorial, but Goddamn. I know that something traumatic had to have triggered this, but I have no idea what. Maybe someone tried to break in one time and she scared them off? It's honestly the only theory that I have.

I've talked to the vet about it. I tried those bullshit hormonal plug-in diffusers, and when that didn't work, the vet talked about putting her on anxiety meds, which I flat out refused to do.
>>
File: IMG_20160601_154157.jpg (2 MB, 3120x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_154157.jpg
2 MB, 3120x3120
>>2135978

So yeah, just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Anyone here experienced anything similar?

Pic related, it's her guarding me from the evil doorbell.
>>
Then put her on anxiety meds?
>>
>>2135983

I don't want to dope her up over the relatively rare occurrence of someone ringing the doorbell.
>>
I heard someone on here suggest that you get friends or family to come in through the door with your cat's favorite treat or catnip. I mean obviously tell them your cat might kill them, but you got to keep trying this. Maybe even catnip her up before they come in.

Does she have cat towers/furniture she can hide in?
>>
Maybe just disconnect the doorbell?
>>
>>2135978
Honestly, why not putting her on anxiety pills WHILE working on the doorbell thing? Ask the vet for the lowest possible dose, and then while the medicine is kind of forcing her to relax, have trusted people (that she knows) come and ring the doorbell and enter, and have them help to work with her. Use treats and catnip, pieces of real chicken breast, whatever you need to do to teach her that the door bell will not always mean a bad thing.

This may take a few months, but hopefully over time you will be able to slowly wean her off the anxiety pills while also continuing to make the doorbell a good thing. It may also help her to get over her fear of stangers.

I understand your concern over doping her up, but in this instance it may be necessary, because comparatively, stress is going to do a hell of a lot more damage over the years than a few months of pills.
>>
>>2136018
I like this anon's answer. Condition her with meds to be more relaxed, make threatening stimulus less threatening and maybe even enjoyable.

Beyond that, Dude! You have a guard cat!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.