[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Working At/Owning A Pet Shop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1439943351831.jpg (249 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1439943351831.jpg
249 KB, 640x1136
>Part 1
So, about 13 years back, a little pet shop opened up in my town. The owners were an older couple, really sweet people. They took very good care of their animals and kept the environment clean, etc. Well about 10 years after they opened, they had to sell the place (I can't remember why, either financial or they just wanted to retire), and they ended up selling it to some lady.

Now, this lady isn't a bad lady. She's very nice and friendy, but in the time she has had this petshop, she has ran it into the ground.

The place is filthy, the heat is always too high, the animals have bare minimum care and are often too crowded in their cages. She's got two dogs and a cat that she just lets sit on top of the mice and rat cages, etc etc, you get the picture. I've actually called animal control on her three times in the past and they either never went to do anything about it, or the animals are just barely getting the care they need to be humane. I don't know.

Well, recently when I went in with my mother-in-law to buy some crickets, I over heard them talking and the lady was saying how much negativity she was getting from the old owners about how she was running their shop into the ground, and that she was tired of it and seriously considering throwing in the towel.
>>
File: someday Ill be a uneecorn.jpg (84 KB, 630x611) Image search: [Google]
someday Ill be a uneecorn.jpg
84 KB, 630x611
>part 2

Well, up until this point, I had thought the old owners completely sold the place and had no say in the matter. I wasn't aware that they were still in the picture.

So, here's what I need help with /an/.

Should I look into taking out a loan at the bank and possibly buying this little shop? I wasn't best buds with the owners before, but I went in their pretty frequently and they basically saw me grow up. I also absolutely love working with any kinds of animals, and I hate what this shop has become. I would love to bring it back towards what it used to be, with a clean healthy environment and happy animals.

Problem is I don't know how profitable it would be, and I assume I would need some other source of income. BUT, this is my dream job and I'm chomping at the bits trying to decide if I try to contact the old owners or not. I would LOVE to do this, but I don't know if it's worth it as far as how much time I will need to invest, and if it will eventually be profitable or not.
>>
>>2135201
>>2135203
I'm definitely not an expert, but I say go for it. It'd probably take a lot of time out of your day, and I'm pretty sure that pet shops aren't very profitable, but if owning a pet shop is your dream and you really love animals you should. You should be aware, however, that it will probably lead to disaster if you aren't good at it, don't love animals enough, can't handle the extra work, etc.

Ultimately, I'd say that it's a great idea, but you should look before you leap.
>>
>>2135203

i don't think running a pet store is a one person operation. you would definitely need someone to help you with the finances. i don't think the current owner is letting the place become such a mess because she's cruel. maybe she's incredibly careless but it's also possible that it's just a lot of work.

i think i've heard that most businesses aren't profitable in their first year of operation. maybe this wouldn't apply to you since you'd be taking over but it's something you should consider.

finally, expect to become disenchanted. when you spend 60 hour weeks cleaning up animal cages and miscellaneous managerial work it can be overwhelming and unsatisfying.

try to ask as many questions as you can from the mom and pop regarding how running the business was for them and how they expect it to be for you. maybe the market's not good anymore in your area or something

i'm not exactly a business expert myself so i just listed my personal concerns were i in your position. if anyone knows better and disagrees with anything i'm saying or wants to supplement with more information please go ahead
>>
File: flashbacks.gif (2 MB, 329x319) Image search: [Google]
flashbacks.gif
2 MB, 329x319
>>2135258
I know that's why I'm really trying to think this through.

I literally have no problem cleaning cages/tanks/shit all day because it's physical work and takes patience around the animals not to scare them (both things I really enjoy doing), but what if I do need an extra hand and can't afford it? Or what if I can't make a side income in order to support my own bills and food at home?

AAaah, I am literally so freakin torn! I almost want to just contact the old owners and ask them to put a good work in for me for whoever they end up selling it too, and maybe I can just get a job there. But even then, I know pet shops aren't very profitable and it may not make enough money to hire someone...god, I might just volunteer.

I mean another reason I really want that place to get back to what it used to be is because a clean, responsible pet shop teaches things to it's customers. I learned most of what I know about small rodents and snakes and insects from the old owners just talking to me every time I got a hair up my butt and wanted a cute pet.

I want to work with one of those pet shops that sets an example to other pet shops.
>>
Keep in mind the general rule with businesses like this:

You won't make money on one location. You don't start to make money until you have two locations. The business might be sustainable, but don't expect to be swimming in money.
>>
>>2135201
The business board is probably better to consult about the financial aspects. I can tell you though, if you want to make a profit, it will be the animals paying for it. You can't get good breeders of pet animals to agree to having their animals sold out to people they don't know and don't get to meet or talk to. You will be dealing mainly with shipped animals and bybs. You won't be able to give them the best, or even decent care. They will get what they need to live, it's only temporary after all. And your main sales are going to be impulse purchases and people buying pets who really shouldn't have them. But that's the animal industry for you; it's not profitable unless it's slaughtering something.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.