[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should the Cincinnati Zoo be charged for killing Harambe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 17
Should the Cincinnati Zoo be charged for killing Harambe?
>>
I think they shot the wrong animal. Humans are nowhere near extinction levels. Someone got their priorities wrong.
>>
They saved a child. They did the right thing.
>>
No, they were in a really shitty position where they were damned if they do, damned if they don't. They had no way of knowing for sure how badly hurt the kid was and the zoo could have taken the blame if there was the slightest chance the gorilla made things worse by moving around a kid with a back/head injury, or if he accidentally ended up underwater or was injured if the tranquilisers caused Harambe to become confused/agitated and lash out or push the kid down. I'm not saying it was definitely the right course of action either, but they had a really difficult call to make with a potential shitstorm and major fallout for the zoo whatever they chose to do.
>>
>>2133853
They did the right thing, but the parents should have to bear some kind of responsibility for the incident.

If you drive through a high water crossing in most places, the Fire Department will save your ass, but charge you for rescuing it too. I see no reason why the same cannot be applied here. Teaching through the wallet is the only way to get ot people.
>>
I think the most appropriate thing is to mourn the gorilla, be glad the child is safe, and hope they take precautions to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. The whole situation is just upsetting and unfortunate.
>>
Yes. Ohio is a castle doctrine state. The gorilla was within his rights.
>>
It's a monkey.
Who gives a shit, they saved a child's life

They should probably try to build a memorial to cash in on the extra publicity and if anything the parents are to blame for the innocent
>>
>>2133887
Doing the right thing doesn't mean shit, many people get legaly fucked after doing the right thing. Especially cops and medics.
>>
*incident
>>
>>2133920
The zoo had inadequately safe enclosures.
It should have never happened.its the zoo's fault.
>>
>>2133887
still going to get fucked by those retarded animal rights people
>>
>>2133933
Inadequate enclosures? Elaborate. Because if you mean bars or whatever, many zoos have those and most are spaced out widely enough to let a small retarded child alip through
>>
charged with what? destroying their own property? america has some crazy laws, but i'm pretty sure that isn't one of them.
>>
>>2133920

There is talks of charging the mother with negligence
>>
Endangering the child could result in a lawsuit, meaning no money for the other animals. They did what they had to.
>>
Retarded parents should be fronted the bill.

I have a feeling zoos are going to start introducing a "if your kid is under the age of 10 keep him on a fucking leash" policy.
>>
>>2133967
No hun they arent, the publicity they would get from that would ensure no one would ever visit them again since thats basically saying "we hate babies and your kid deserves to die"
>>
>>2133853
It's not the zoo's fault. Children should not be allowed to leave their cages and therefore the parents are to blame.
>>
>>2133853
Yes they should.

#blacklivesmatter
>>
Gorillas are literally people.
>>
File: sr86e.webm (466 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
sr86e.webm
466 KB, 320x180
>>2133853
I don't think so. The zoo did what they thought was best. Humans are so self-centered that we probably don't realize it would've been better to try to rescue the boy without killing the gorilla instead of risking the boy's life to save this endangered species. There would've been more backlash if they did nothing, or let the gorilla kill the boy. That doesn't mean what they did was the true "right thing" but it means that they did what most people would've viewed as the right thing versus if they boy had died.

The only true one at fault here is the mother. The only issue with this is that if the zoo wanted to charge her for damages (losing an important member of an endagered species) the mother could probably claim that the zoo had unsafe exhibits with shitty fencing to where a boy could fall into the exhibit.

That being said, I really hate these idiots blaming the zoo. The ones that say the best thing to do would've been to tranquilize the gorilla or shoot the mother. The zoo is just doing what they can. It's a scary, panic-inducing situation and the thing they put at utmost priority is saving this boy's life. These are people that project human qualities onto the gorilla, saying it was caring and loving towards the boy. While he may not have been hurting the boy, he still poses a real threat. The second the gorilla gets scared or angry, it could easily snap the boy in two.

These probably weigh 1/4th of what the gorilla weighs, and the racoon maybe weighs 1/4th-1/8th of what the boy weighs. Part of me is surprised something like this didn't happen.
>>
>>2133887
>They saved a child.

I saw the video, there is nothing that would show an inmediate hostile response by the animal. Of course the gorilla could have damaged the kid without actually intended to.
They could have done the same AND not kill the animal by using tranquilizer darts.
Hell the cropped video lasts about 2 minutes, how long does a dart need? 40?

If it was a chimp enclosure I wouldn't take that risk, tho.
>>
Parents should be sued.
End of story.

That animal had a very real ecological and fiscal value and their inattentiveness cost the zoo, the world, and the future.
>>
It's only a stupid shit child. Regardless of the race of the child. How many humans are there on earth? Billions. How many gorillas are there left? A few thousand. The gorilla was being held in captivity against its will, the human was in harms way, in the gorillas territory due to irresponsible parenting, that was easily avoidable. When you logically consider all these factors, it's a no-brainer, unless you let emotions get the best of you, like a woman. What the zoo should have done is say they're going to shoot the gorilla, and then the guy who takes the shot has a "whoops" and accidentally shoots the kid instead. The parents can always make more. Although based on the parenting skills displayed here, a strong argument could be made against that happening.

If I was being killed by a Gorilla, I wouldn't want anyone to shoot it to save my life.
>>
>>2134068
The kid was dragged around like crazy but it was through water and he was kind of hydro-planing through the water rather than being dragged on concrete or something.
>>
>>2134068
The issue is with a huge animal like that gorilla is that it would take long for the tranquilizer to kick in. Within that 1-2 minutes, the animal could, for a lack of better words, go ape shit. I assume they didn't want to risk that.
>>
>>2134072
Do you have a link to a full video? I saw a cropped version and he didn't seem to do him too much but I'd like to see what happened.

>>2134071
It's not about feelings rather than ethics and how you value things. If a man had to choose between shooting a pride of lions and letting you die he will do the first one. Even if you call him retard afterwards.
>>
>>2134075
Gorillas don't go "ape-shit"
Chimps go ape-shit.

Bonobos, Gorillas, and Orangutans don't freak out and start killing shit or attacking shit wildly. They all have emotional stability and are calm, peaceful giants. Fights that break out with Gorillas or Orangutans are against rivals of the same species, not against humans. Even pissed off weird Orangutans that don't like humans still don't just wildly attack humans out of nowhere and kill people. They simply are not killers of humans, and barely kill each other in the wild. They aren't sharks or cheetahs or lions, they eat fucking vegetables and sit in trees.

>>2134081
I can't find it now, but he dragged the kid a lot. It wasn't violent. It was him taking the kid and running away from the people screaming. He didn't know how fragile the child was. It's a good thing it was through water, but I don't know if the Gorilla would have dragged a child across dirt or rock if that was the environment.
>>
>>2134081
I don't care as much about lions, we have a lot of cats on Earth, whether or not they are like lions. I'm specifically talking about other great apes.
>>
>>2134075
Gorillas don't go ape shit as easily as chimps as far as I know. Hell there is a gif of a gorilla running away from a Canadian goose. Although the kid isn't devil incarnate as the goose I doubt the ape would throw him away like >>2134061 pic for instance.
>>
>>2134089
Chimps are monsters. They have no emotional regulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MwQYcY479o
>>
>>2134088
It was an example, when I say lions you could say elephants/tigers/rhinos or any other animal that is scarce

>>2134085
Seems like the best thing they should have done would be to try and calm down the people so the animal wouldn't run as much (and drag the kid during the process). Emphasis on try.
>>
I hope the parents feel like shit, I wish they would be humiliated.
>>
>>2134093
At some point humans as a species need to realize in order for life to prosper, some of us have to die.

It's incredibly fucked, and it sucks, and when something might be about to kill you survival instinct takes over, but, we can't just keep killing animals we display at a zoo because someone fucking does something stupid.

The Gorilla was reacting, badly, to people screaming like fucking idiots. They should have cleared the area or shut the people the fuck up.
>>
>>2134061
There is no projection needed to map human characteristics onto animals that are almost exactly like us.
>>
>>2134061
I don't know if you understand this or not, but Gorillas share most behavior characteristics with us. The Gorilla was keeping the child with it on purpose, whether protecting the child or figuring out what it was. It knew the child posed no thread to it and, I'm sure, recognized it as a tiny human.

It dragged the child to a farther place in the exhibit because people were screaming and going nuts. It didn't know the kid was so fragile. It's harder for Gorillas to be super gentle because they are so strong, they don't have the same fine tuned movements as us without practice. Gorillas aren't as fragile.
>>
>>2134098
>we can't just keep killing animals we display at a zoo because someone fucking does something stupid.

This I can agree too, specially with the case of that suicidal man and the guy who got drowned by a walrus to take a freaking selfie. In case of an accident (or a child) not.

>in order for life to prosper, some of us have to die.
The funny thing is that the western countries populations are getting older and thus natality is being reduced.
It's a lose/lose or you let your country die of old age and having economical problems derived from that or you increase the number of mouths to feed on a planet with less and less resources.
>>
>>2134112
Zoos are such stupid fucking forms of entertainment. Looking at caged animals that will never be free seems sick.
>>
>>2133970

But think about it: How many children under the age of 10 are now in the care of a generation raised on unhindered Individualism?
>>
>>2134061
You're moving picture is chimps you baka.
Chimps are the violent psycho side of humanity, gorillas the gentle but firm lover.
>>
>>2134130
You guys really Bernie to save you, make America feel worth belonging in again.
>>
>>2133994
kek
>>
hahahha how is this even a thing lol
>>
>>2134187
Small town problems. Nice that people have heart though.
>>
>>2133864
>priority based on preserving species instead of individual members of your own

I think you're the one who needs to get your priorities straight.
>>
>>2134085
>>2134173
I don't know if I'd call regular infanticide "gentle".
>>
>>2134081
http://m.wlwt.com/news/full-video-boy-falls-into-gorilla-world-exhibit-at-cincinnati-zoo/39781440
>>
>>2134210
Maybe not. At least that has a purpose, it's not random fucking psychotic episode.

It's still shockingly common with humans, too.
>>
>>2133864
The world would do rather well without Gorillas. Species go instinct all the time.
We activly prevent gorillas from getting extinct because we like having cool animals around
>>
>>2134210
>Gorillas kill some babies if they are from another father, to keep the alpha males bloodline

Not humans.
>>
>>2134217
>The world would do rather well without Gorillas. Species go instinct all the time.

Except we'd lose a giant piece of ourselves, and the ability to continue to study humanity, where minds arose, and what conscious thought is. We'd lose so much without other great apes, it's earth shattering to believe a human thinks nothing would be lost. It's so stupid it's laughable.
>>
>>2133895
Should have just risked it. Gorillas are hard to come by, but we've got plenty of idiots. Also the mom is going to sue no matter what, who cares about her bullshit.
>>
living things shouldn't be kept in cages. This is what happens
>>
>>2134223
so you agree that the existance of gorillas is only worth for the benefit of humans.
thus, an individual human life is worth more than an individual gorilla life
>>
>>2134215
>>2134221
All I'm saying is that gorillas aren't gentle giants like some believe.
>>
>>2134235
Strawman, the post.
>>
>>2134249
not an argument
>>
>>2134068
That's just not how it works though man.
If you shoot an animal with 3 inch dart full of sedatives, it fucking hurts.
When animals get hurt they freak out and become unpredictable.
TranquilIverson take too long and were not an option in this situation
>>
>>2133853
Basically, there wasn't any 100% right course of action. Killing the gorilla was wrong, but risking that the gorilla killed the child would be equally wrong(or even slightly worse, since at least some degree of loyalty to ones own species is to be expected). Of course, I'm not sure that the gorilla meant any real harm. Despite being pretty rough, such behaviour might be more suitable when handling the more robust gorilla juveniles.

It's a big tragedy, no doubt, but like I said, there wasn't really any correct course of action.
>>
File: harambe.jpg (74 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
harambe.jpg
74 KB, 800x450
Sign the petition guys https://www.change.org/p/cincinnati-zoo-justice-for-harambe
>>
>>2134250
To receive an argument you must first posit one.
>>
>>2134257
Juanita Robertson is totally logical. That's amazing.
>>
>>2134257
fuck off to >>>/pol/
>>
>>2133853
It's no crime to dispose of your property.
>>
>>2134200
>resorting to the same species meme

Many people are beyond caring not just including animal lovers.
>>
>>2134114
They have no desire to be free they are not self aware and have no romantic notions like that.
A long as their instincts are satisfied, save from some very hard to keep animals, most fare well enough.
>>
File: clockcat.png (353 KB, 704x544) Image search: [Google]
clockcat.png
353 KB, 704x544
>>2133853
Well. The zoo is famous again, for negative reasons this time.

I live close to the damn zoo.
>>
>killing an endangered animal to 'save' a future criminal
They should be gassed 2bh
>>
I really, really think they could have tranqued Harambe, and the boy would have been fine long enough for it to kick in. Hell, the gorilla wasn't even acting aggressive at all. He was just kinda carting the kid around the enclosure like "What am I supposed to do with this thing? Can somebody get it?"
>>
>>2134286
Samefag here. Also, what the fuck kind of barrier was this that allowed a little kid to get in? I live in Birmingham, Alabama and at the zoo here all the dangerous animals are behind high walls of thick glass anchored in concrete. You would have to be a world-class pole-vaulter or use a fucking bazooka to get in.
>>
File: 1439617020102.jpg (45 KB, 352x395) Image search: [Google]
1439617020102.jpg
45 KB, 352x395
>>2134286
Zoos have procedures they make and follow
In an ideal scenario, most of the time they don't have the luxury to actually practice it
Like many people have already said, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't
Even if the kid walked away with a broken arm from being man-handled, you bet your shit that mom would being suing the zoo.

Animal-rights zealots aside, the zoo did what they thought was right and probably won't receive any sort of legal recourse from it, besides anything that they're already responsible for.
>>
>>2133933
You cant make the world dipshit proof can you.

How many hundreds of people have visited the same thing and have had nothing go wrong? One fucking retarded crosses the barriers and its suddenly the zoo's fault for not ensuring the fences arent impossible to scale, slip or see through.
>>
>>2134071
That gorilla is useless and will never be usefull. It will sit and rot in that zoo, getting fed for free. Theres no arguement to be made here in favor of usefullness or what the fuck ever
>>
>>2134299
That nigglet is useless and will never be usefull. It will sit and rot in government housing, getting fed on my tax dollars. Theres no arguement to be made here in favor of usefullness or what the fuck ever
>>
File: 1460412722461.gif (2 MB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
1460412722461.gif
2 MB, 300x226
Listen her retards. /an/ is usually logical when it comes to animals we love animals so we understand and are not fair weather animal lovers that come out of the cracks when something like this happens.

The zoo did the right thing, you can't tranq it and trying to into the enclosure would probably have caused the Gorilla to flip out.
Yes Gorillas are peaceful animals but it is still an animal, animals tend to be unpredictable no matter what species.
Sure best solution the Gorilla may have gotten bored and left him alone but the Gorilla was dragging him around, he can have accidentally killed him even if he was being kind., that Gorilla could have squished coconuts with one hand.

Yeah it sucks the Gorilla had to be shot because some mother being being a retard with her child but it happened and the logical thing to do was unfortunately shoot the Gorilla.

And yes a Human life matters more than an animals, if that child was killed there would have been an even bigger backlash.

So fuck you and fuck off back to what ever board you frequent when theres no controversial event for you to pretend to care about or fuck off to Peta.
>>
No.

But that kid's parents who were there should be charged with criminal negligence.
>>
>>2134257
Not your personal army.
>>
>>2134305
>a Human life
>Human
>>
>>2134305
I wish this were true. I like /an/, but I won't deny that it's an especially toxic mixture of hyper-emotionalism and pseudoscience. A topic like animals will bring that out.
>>
>>2134313
Lot of it is theatrics though, certain people love to say that controversial thing or racist catchphrase. I do it sometimes myself. Maybe it's a little bit therapeutic. It's a messy world and sometimes you just are pissed off at people.
>>
>>2134306

kids should not be able to slip into a zoo enclosure, it takes seconds for kids to do something stupid, you never ran off as a child? if that kid's mother left him in a hot car strapped to a seat and went to the zoo alone that would be criminal negligence, this was just normal human error shit happens and kids are unpredictable

the zoo is at fault for not taking proper security measures with the enclosure of a wild potentially dangerous animal, a child should not be able to get into a gorilla enclosure period and that's all there is to it
>>
>>2134291
>Even if the kid walked away with a broken arm from being man-handled, you bet your shit that mom would being suing the zoo.
I will never understand that.

>Amusement park warns you that in x ride you have to put your arms in the vehicle. Even though there is nothing preventing you that.
>Person doesn't follow the warning (or doesn't ensure that the minors that has in charge follow it) and recieve injuries
>Sue the park

Granted this situation is much more severe they shouldn't be responsible of people not following warnings/orders at least economically (of course the personel has to ensure the trespassers' physical integrity).

If the animal escapes that's the zoo's problem. The design or fences were faulty.
If a person enters not by accident it isn't (like what happened in this case apparentely,yes it's a child and all of that but when it isn't a child the zoo pays as well). They did an inappropiate use of the infrastructure.

>Zoos have procedures they make and follow
>In an ideal scenario, most of the time they don't have the luxury to actually practice it

What's the point then if the quickest and safest option is to kill the animal. It just seems that we can't get to the medium point, or either the human dies or the animal.The objective should be to minimize the casualties in both parts.Also being the ones in care of the animal they should know their usual behaviours and set a rules of do and not-do in emergency cases.

At least in the case of that Chilean they used lethal force when the tranquilizer darts failed, or the shooter actually. And pretty sure a group of lions is actually more dangerous and can do more harm than a single gorilla, even counting with the unpredictible factor.
>>
>>2134373

children's rides at amusement parks are designed with young children's safety in mind, zoo exhibits that allow young children should be held to safety standards that keep children in mind, and a gorilla can kill a human just as easily as a lion
>>
>>2134187
gorilla lives matter
>>
>>2134068
There is nothing to show hostility. Dragging 4 year old by the arm at a sprinting speed a dozen yards. Ok buddy
>>
>>2133853
>People ganging together to get justice for ape
>Meanwhile 3 black girls in FL drown in a car after being chased and the dindus don't get nuffin
God bless America
>>
File: IMG_20150730_153832075.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150730_153832075.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>2134378
Yes but even then, there are warnings telling you what to do or what not to do even if (in theory) you can try and touch the things on the ride risking yourself to get injured or simply to break anything.
Pic related is the bison enclosure of a zoo in Lanzarote (not that it is a good quality zoo IMO but it is the most recent I visited).
What we have here is:
>A somewhat easily to pass first wooden fence
>A sign warning that the animals inside were potentialy dangerous and the type of danger
>Electric fence and a warning

A child can pass the first fence and /could/ pass through the electrical one (not entirely sure about this one to be honest). If he ignores the barriers and the warnings there are two very likely scenarios. He gets zapped or gets attacked by the bisons. Who would be to blame here? The zoo or the parents/child?

>>2134384
It was a different cropped video, the whole dragging part wasn't shown there. Also, for being aggressively towards the kid he seemed to have tolerated his presence a lot. Whether it was really trying to harm him or he just saw him as a toy or a baby gorilla (this one is less likely) we may never know for sure, but if I had to say I'd say the later.
>>
>>2134399
I do not belive it was going to INTENTIONALLY harm the child but dragging him through the enclosure there are things he could have hit his head on and the gorilla not knowing it's own strength. And it makes me so mad media outlets are cropping out the dragging parts. Making it look like it just stood around guarding the child. Completely not showing the 2 parts where he sprints a dozen yards while dragging the child
>>
>>2134241

I think most people would be surprised how many tourists are attacked by Gorillas and it's all hushed up.

I work for AIG Travel Guard and we've taken several emergency medical claims/evacs that involved someone hiking into the jungle with some tour company and then getting rolled by an angry Gorilla.
>>
>>2134399

>expecting a 4 year old who wants to see a gorilla up close to read those signs

not all kids that age can even read well enough to read signs like that, are you ever around kids? ever?
>>
>>2134415
Which brings us full circle--where the fuck was mom or dad to slap the shit out of the kid when he started to climb the fence?
>>
>>2134409
>I do not belive it was going to INTENTIONALLY harm the child but dragging him through the enclosure there are things he could have hit his head on and the gorilla not knowing it's own strength.

Neither does anyone in this thread. Everyone pretty much agrees on that I think. However, like some pointed out, the screams most probably made things worse.
Lions on the other hand deliberately attacked and mauled that guy. And still, the keepers tried to use bullets as a last resort.
Sadly the deed is done but they should learn from the possible mistakes in case another accident happens even if they improve the fences.

As for the video it depends, there are pages that post the whole version and some that just make a summary video.

>>2134415
Well their fathers can, I assume.
>>
>>2134229
>Also the mom is going to sue no matter what

under-rated comment. Any day now, we'll hear about her being lawyered up.

To people saying those fences aren't adequate - that fence has gone over 30 years without incident. It is perfectly fine. That margin of error is fantastic.
>>
>>2134418

a bystander who saw the incident said the kid slipped through and was out of sight within seconds, it doesn't take long for a kid to do something they shouldn't you can look away and then look back

again, it's like you're never around children, and it seems like you don't remember being one either i used to sneak off as a kid and my mother was extremely overprotective and a bit of a helicopter parent

though you think slapping kids is ok and even worse doing it in public, and that 4 year olds are going to read signs so i'm just going to disregard the rest of what you have to say
>>
>>2134426
Doesn't fucking matter--accidents happen, but at the end of the day, SOMEONE has to foot the bill when there are damages.
>>
>>2134435

and since the zoo should have had an enclosure that was childproof it's on them, there wouldn't be a dead gorilla if the enclosure was too secure for a kid to easily get inside
>>
>>2134441
It's almost impossible to make all the animal exhibits at a zoo impossible for a human to get into from the outside.
>>
>>2134448
>Put a chain-link fence on an exhibit
>Kid climbs fence
>Kid falls and cracks his head open
>OH MY GOD ITS THE ZOOS FAULT

You can't protect man or animal from human stupidity
>>
I have wished all my life that every zoo would ban kids. Or more realistically, at least have the weekend be adults only.
>>
>>2134448

a 4 year old shouldn't be able to get inside within seconds, either more secure enclosures need to exist or very young children should only be allowed to see certain exhibits, but the zoo is at fault for allowing 4 year olds in an area that isn't secure enough for them
>>
Not at all.

The gorilla had that kid by the leg, and had people yelling and screaming at it, sure it "looked fairly peaceful" and "was caring for the kid" but it's a wild animal, and the first thing anyone should remember about wild animals, even ones coming from generations of hand-raised 'tame' animals, is that they are extremely unpredictable.

If they tried to tranq the thing, it may have been put to sleep and everything resolved fine, but it also may have made it snap and go ape shit. That thing could tear the boy limb from limb and crush his skull like an egg, and he could do this in a matter of seconds.

The zoo is ultimately at fault for having an enclosure unsafe enough that a kid can slip through, but they handled the situation correctly, a human life will always take priority over that of an animals.
>>
>>2133924
The zoo's property does not have a right under the castle doctrine.
>>
>>2133853

Half the problem is the fucking crowd during one of these events.

You literally get 100 people fucking screaming gibberish at the gorilla, so it feels threatened.

There's also the issue of humans being little fucking weaklings. So what looks to us as being dangerous and aggressive, is actually really passive behaviour to gorillas.

Shooting the gorilla was the easy, nothing can go wrong solution.

The best one I can think of would have been to disperse the crowd. Get one of the zookeepers down there with a ton of food and try to distract the gorilla or reach out and try to grab the kid.
>>
>>2134470

This.

The enclosure was not great. When half your clientèle is under the age of 10, safety is everything.
>>
Anyone who says the gorilla should not have been shot clearly dont have any kids and possibly a virgin
>>
>>2133994

I came to this board just to see if someone would post this. I was not disappointed.
>>
>>2134483
I wish they would've done that, but I also understand why they didn't. Everything about this whole situation sucks.
>>
>>2133864

Gorillas are effectively just an obsolete model of human; like it's been stated, they don't actually serve an ecological niche that can't be taken over by proper humans.

Though, more weight should be placed towards shooting a gorilla versus shooting a lion or other non-humanoid animal.
>>
>>2134303
You cant be certian of that. Worst case scenario, it just becomes another gorilla. However the actual gorilla will be a useless attraction for the rest of its life

Also your nigger jokes are old and not funny in the slightest
>>
>>2133853
no, a bunch of sissys will get their fee fees hurt and retweet angry stupid shit while the rest of the world agree with prioritizing the boys life and demand better safety in the zoo
>>
>>2134538
Are you retarded? Gorillas have a 100% different niche from humans, even from our ancestors.
>>
>>2134538
>humans replacing every ecological niche

Bro did your dad abuse you or something, what made you so fucking weird
>>
>>2133853
From a legal and liability standpoint, the zoo did the best thing they could in a shitty situation. The mom will still probably sue, but the consequences won't be as bad as if they hadn't shot the gorilla and it had killed or further injured the kid.

Personally, I wish the kid's safety had been secondary to the gorillas'. The gorilla is a critically endangered animal that held great economic value to the zoo. The kid is one of several billion of his kind, and not a particularly bright example at that. When I was four, I was smart enough and had enough of a self-preservation instinct to not do something spectacularly retarded like climb through a security fence and jump down a 12 foot moat into a pen with a large animal.
>>
>>2133853

No.

The kid's dumb nigger mother should be charged for endangerment though.
>>
The kids just going to grow up to be a criminal anyway.
>>
>>2134565

>should be charged with endangerment

do you know how i know you don't know what the legal definition of that is?
>>
>>2134557

In the end, whether you think the gorilla should have been shot or not.

>>2134487
>>2134487

We can all agree they need a better fucking enclosure.

Proactive approach is better than reactive. Big ass fence, no one can climb over, no animals get shot.

Shitty fence that a 10 year old can walk through, falls in, animal gets shot, we have pointless arguments about the value of human life.
>>
We go to a zoo to see the creatures of nature yet intervene when natural selection is about to take place? Nah, they should've let the Gorilla kill the little tard.
>>
>>2134493
But the gorilla wasn't shot. They rescued it after shooting the silverback.
>>
No, but only because I don't think the kid was worth saving.

At the very least, their enclosures should be idiot-proofed to prevent further incidents. The mother should also be charged.
>>
>>
>>2134068
Tranquilizers would have taken too long, and the gorilla may have gone bananas and hurt or even killed the child. Gorillas are bigass animals and they can easily fuck an adult's shit up, let alone a kid.

I think that the zoo officials ultimately did the least wrong thing. It sucks that the gorilla had to die, but if the kid had gotten seriously hurt or died then shit would be even worse. I think it's the mom's fault for not keeping better control of her kid in a zoo.
>>
>>2133853

I wish the kid would have died from the fall.
>>
Nah
>>
>>2134061
>humans are so self centered
Every animal has self preservation instincts. If anything, we act on them less often than the rest of the animal kingdom.
>>
>>2133853
charged with what exactly?

Killing an animal you own to save a human isn't just legal, it's probably against the law not to.
>>
anyone know what they had to do to kill the gorilla?
>>
>>2134725
one shot with a high power rifle.

couldn't find the caliber online
probably something for big game though.
>>
>>2134068
Why chimp?
>>
File: image.png (50 KB, 224x218) Image search: [Google]
image.png
50 KB, 224x218
>based Jeff Corwin
https://youtu.be/jw6J3Dclon0
>>
>>2133853
One of the worst things about all of this is the damaged image this will give the zoo. It sucks because I've been to Cincinnati Zoo, and it's one of the better zoos I've gone to, but this is just going to really hurt it, and it's a shame. People who weren't even involved are going to be blamed as well just for working there.

While I think it's awful that what's happened happened, it doesn't change that fact. It happened and there's nothing no one can do about it now. The gorilla's dead, the kid's safe. That's just how it is, I guess.
>>
>>2133853
It was a fucking ape. Not a human, an ape. If you feel sorry for it being dead, you have some fucked up ideas. It spent its life eating and shitting. It had no meaningful relationships. It never accomplished anything. Its net effect on the world was negligible. Stop projecting your consciousness onto animals. They are biological robots and their existence or lack thereof is pointless in and of itself.
>>
>>2134763

Jesus man, take it easy on the niglet. No need to call him an ape.
>>
>>2134773
>>>/pol/
>>
>>2134411
I believe it. It probably feels like being hit by a brick wall.
>>
>>2134743
I had the biggest crush on him as a kid
>>
>>2134775
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>2134763

>its was a fucking ape
>not a human
>an ape
>it spent its life eating and shitting, it was meaningless

If this was done on purpose, 10/10. Amazing read.

If this was done unintentionally, you have no fucking idea how stupid you sound.
>>
>>2134787
If you're arguing semantics then I seriously cannot understand why you are calling me stupid.
>>
>neglectful, black parents with too many kids and criminal records let their child into a gorilla enclosure
>the gorilla has to suffer for it
>>
>>2134795

Not even gorillas are safe from chimp outs
>>
the gorilla wouldn't have done shit to the kid
>>
>>2134493

>Disliking kids is a symptom of virginity

Typical breeder logic
>>
Definitely, and so should that kid's parents.
>>
>>2134788

Oh god you're being serious.

Fucking hell.
>>
I saw the unedited video, and seriously, that gorilla deserved to be shot.
Gorillas arent that stupid, you cant tell me that dragging a child by its leg is "caring" behaviour. Harambe was an asshole and had it coming.
>>
>>2134274
It's a crime to kill endangered species.
>>
>>2134493
>everyone who disagrees with me is a meanie roody-poo >:(
>>
>>2134573
>In the end, whether you think the gorilla should have been shot or not
What?
>>
>>2134788
I was laughing my ass off and calling you a genius when I read your first post, now I'm concerned.
>>
>>2134818
Hes 100% right dude, that gorilla would do nothing except wither in that prison, and get fed for free. Its a useless animal
>>
>>2135032
So is the kid.
>>
>>2135034
The kid has potential, the gorilla does not. Use your brain. Even the kid growing up to be a walmart worker would be more important than that gorilla
>>
>>2135038
>The kid has potential, the gorilla does not
People pay money to see gorillas at the zoo.
The animal was already a valuable resource, the kid only has "potential".
>>
>>2134068
It's amazing how there are suddenly so many gorilla experts on the internet.
>>
>>2133994
This.

#nojusticenopeace
>>
>>2135070
This is /an/ - Animals & Nature.
>>
>>2134257
>taking a picture of your screen
wew
>>
File: 1354939523018.jpg (194 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1354939523018.jpg
194 KB, 500x369
>be four year old niglet
>be raised by my mother
>never seen my father, not even sure what a father is
>one day, go to the zoo
>see white boys there, all of them have fathers
>zoo must be the place to find a father
>walking around
>big gray animals and tall skinny animals, but no daddy
>mom takes us to a different exhibit
>look down
>suddenly, there he is
>big, strong and black
>he looks me right in the eye, like no man ever has before
>realize that this must be my father
>LOOK MOMMY
>but she isn't looking, instead playing on her phone while my brother cries
>decide I have to meet him
>fence in the way, but there's a hole to crawl through
>mom isn't watching me
>go for it
>wiggle through
>fail to realize there was a huge drop
>hit the ground with a splash
>stunned, can't see or breathe
>look up
>there he is
>my father is standing over me
>cry with delight
>he stares into my eyes, pride on his face, as if to say 'so, you've finally come'
>extend my arms for him to lift me up
>above, angry white people start screaming and throwing things at us
>the white man does not like to see a black family reunited
>my father bravely shields me from the danger
>they stop, and he lifts me up
>next thing I know, I'm being pulled through the water like a surfboard
>never had this much fun before
>see the trees, and the water, and the rocks, and my father
>I know that I am home, at last, with my father
>he lifts me up in his strong arms
>BOOM
>my father grabs his chest, something terrible has happened
>he drops me and staggers back
>'DADDY!' I yell, but to no avail
>red stuff running out of him
>I run to his side and wrap my arms around him
>with his last breath, he whispers into my ear
>'Remember your name: Kunta Kinte'
>white people come running in and pull me away from him
>the same evil white people that killed my father
>try to bite the one that's holding me
>'oh god, he's traumatized, get him to the hospital'
>decide then and there: my destiny is to kill all whites
>>
>>2135072
>I post on the 4chan animal board okay? So I think I know a thing or two about how to deal with gorillas.
>>
>>2134391
>steal car
>drive it into swamp
>"Why don't people feel bad for them?"
Are you serious?
>>
>>2135078
You don't need to be a biologist to be able to recognize aggressive behaviors.
>>
>>2134391

>comparing an innocent animal to a bunch of inner city dindus

Unfortunately, the latter is not an endangered species
>>
>>2135082
>You don't need an education or training to handle dangerous animals, all you need is arbitrary intuition!
>Those educated, trained people working at the zoo who were responsible for dealing with the situation are SO STUPID.
>>
Sure they saved a child's life, but they had a choice whether to kill him or to tranquilize him. Yet they chose to kill him. So, yes.
>>
>>2134187
imagine what a vigil they would have had if the kiddo died instead. Then that gorilla would be like that one killer whale that killed a couple ladies.
>>
>>2135086
Tranqs don't instantly work, m8.
>>
The zoo isn't really to blame here. They sure as hell didn't want to kill the gorilla, but would have been absolutely 100% fucked if they didn't and the kid got hurt worse or killed.

It's shitty, but the laws themselves need to change on this stuff.
>>
did they try distracting the gorilla with chocolate bars or beer or something super extra tasty before they shot him?
>>
File: 1458769233814.gif (1 MB, 446x469) Image search: [Google]
1458769233814.gif
1 MB, 446x469
>its okay to shoot a gorilla that isnt trying to kill a child

>its wrong to shoot a nigger that is trying to kill a police officer

things that make you go hmmmmm
>>
>>2134305
>we
you don't speak for a whole board
>>
>>2135076

(You) for effort, Anon.
>>
File: laughing_gorill.jpg (91 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
laughing_gorill.jpg
91 KB, 500x333
>>2134061
>tranquilize the gorilla or shoot the mother
>>
>>2135135
B-but humans have more value because when they die they make me sad :(
>>
>>2133853
did the gorilla hurt the child? what was the gorilla doing with the boy?
>>
>Even Trump's speaking out about this
Fucker needs to stay out of it
>>
>>2133853
They shot the wrong nigger
>>
>>2134096
I think they're probably pretty humiliated already.
>>
>>2133920
The parents should go to prison for letting their kid get in the enclosure to begin with. They're the ultimate caretakers of the kid and bear all the responsibility.
>>
>>2135220
You made me giggle, anon. c:
>>
>>2135253

>letting
>>
File: 1458851029826.jpg (32 KB, 498x497) Image search: [Google]
1458851029826.jpg
32 KB, 498x497
Endangered Gorilla? Hell, just kill all of them. Make America white again
>>
>>2135214
What did he say?
>>
>>2135267
Did they try to stop the child?
>>
>>2135330

the kid snuck in, no one "let" him
>>
>>2135328
Walls solve problems.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 620x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 620x612
>>
>Option 1: Tranq the gorilla
>takes several minutes to take effect, the gorilla lashes out and possibly kills the kid
>parents sue the shit out of the zoo for mishandling the situation
>gorilla is put down shortly after

>Option 2: Leave the gorilla alone
>adults shouting at the gorilla eventually agitate enough to the point where it lashes out and possibly kills the kid
>alternatively, the kid eventually makes a run for it or hits the gorilla, gorilla kills the kid
>parents sue the shit out of the zoo for leaving the kid to die
>gorilla is put down shortly after

>Option 3: Shoot and kill the gorilla
>kid's safety is ensured

Stop making jokes about how you'd shoot the kid or their parents and actually think about it. These situations are always lose-lose when it comes to the zoo. It's not as if they want to kill their own fucking animals, but when there are irresponsible parents and suicidal idiots around, sometimes you're left with no choice. Anyone who thinks that tranquilizing a male silverback gorilla would go down smoothly don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>2135459
This. It's awful but it's what the zoo HAD to do. Blame the laws, not the zoo.
>>
>>2135328
The zoo needs a bigger wall.
>>
>>2134266
A strawman is flawed but still an argument.
>>
You guys don't understand. Little Sharqonique was going to be the next president or cure cancer. Don't say his life is worthless just because his father has a criminal record longer than the gorilla's dick, or his mother was warned FOUR TIMES by the child, on video, that he was going into the gorilla pit and she replied with "like hell, you are" acknowledging she'd been warned. Nah, those were just flukes. This child was just starting to go to church again and was turning his life around. He will achieve such amazing things and I'm sure the gorilla would be proud of its sacrifice to push that child-hero along.
>>
>>2135787
>his mother was warned FOUR TIMES by the child, on video

Anyone have that video? I thought the line about him saying what he was about to do was just a witness account.
>>
>>2133920
>literally a boot licking faggot
yeah let me know how well that's worked for drunk driving and speeding ya fuckhead
>>
>>2134279
>No desire to be free
literal fuckin retard #2 here
>>
>>2134763
It was a fucking human. Not a ape, an human. If you feel sorry for it being dead, you have some fucked up ideas. It spent its life eating and shitting. It had no meaningful relationships. It never accomplished anything. Its net effect on the world was negligible. Stop projecting your consciousness onto humans. They are biological robots and their existence or lack thereof is pointless in and of itself.
>>
>>2135787
>Don't say his life is worthless just because his father has a criminal record longer than the gorilla's dick
Most things are longer than a gorilla's dick.
>>
>>2135804
Wat
>>
>>2135794

I saw that video in another article linked from FARK.com earlier today. Don't remember exactly. Just verifying it exists and the kid literally told his mother 4 times he was going into the pit and she ignored him, with profanity no less
>>
>>2135810

Is gorilla cock a special area of expertise for you? Do you have a blacked.com membership?
>>
>>2135839
No, that's just second hand information I heard from your mother.
>>
>>2135799
I bet most of the animals don't mind being in zoos.

As long as it's not some zoo run by poor third worlders, they have a nice mediocrely sized place to live in where they aren't exposed to dangers of survival, they get food, they get medical treatement and they get things to play with.
It's not that far off people living cities instead of running around the woods doing dangerous shit just to live.

The only downsides are that they mostly don't get to interact with many other animals of their spieces or that they get tons of people daily looking at them and disturbing their peace.
>>
>>2135459
>>2135470
They didn't HAVE to do it. The gorilla was obviously not frustrated or angry with the boy in any way. It was only curious and surprised about a new thing in her cage. Something they should've done was clear the area of retards shouting at the gorilla as fast as possible and then try to calmly rescue the boy. The boy didn't possess any danger to the gorilla and it knows that that's why it started to examine to boy instead of attacking/running away.

>but it dragged him around without caution
Yes because that's what they're used to doing. It doesn't mean they want to hurt it. In the video the boy didn't even look like he had any serious injuries.
>>
>>2134071
> unless you let emotions get the best of you, like a woman
Kill yourself, sexist.
>>
>>2133925
7b people, 1 retarded child vs 1/1000 great apes. Not saying the kid should have died, but jeez, he has a lot to live up to.
>>
>>2134187
Whites protest the killing of an animal but not the killings of other humans
>>
>>2135919

White people are taught from a young age to trust and the world is their oyster.
Black people are taught from a young age not to trust and the world is out to get them.

Which is not entirely wrong, either.
>>
>>2136154
It's not illegal to join the KKK but you can bet the FBI knows your name.

It's not illegal to be a racist bitch on 4chan, but you can bet the FBI knows your name.
>>
>>2136169
>being triggered this easily from a joke

lmao
>>
>>2133853
How is this a question? No. If the enclosure meets safety requirements, the parents must be charged for endangering (with their carelessless) and forcing the zoo to destroy the gorilla.
>>
>>2136169
>he thinks the FBI cares aboutracist shit is on the internet
>>
>>2135107
>Then that gorilla would be like that one killer whale that killed a couple ladies.
So he'd get off scot-free, live a long life with several children (that orca is still performing, by the way) and have a movie made about him?

Sounds like a good deal.
>>
>>2135799
The only retard here is you. Only a few species are self aware, as in aware of their person and situation. The most are completely satisfied as long as their insticts have an outlet.
An interesting related story: in Budapest Zoo a flock of 40 jackdaws voluntary gave up their freedom; the zoo had 2 jackdaws in a large enclosure recovering from injuries. Outside jackdaws broke in, bonded with them, got free food, free shelter, started families and refused to leave. It appears they taken up permanent residence.
>>
>>2135145
>you don't speak for a whole board
Yes I do, I was elected Ambassador by a unanimous vote after Bugguy was stolen away by Gypsies in the night.
>>
>>2134175
Either you're deliberately trying to be the hot new "Have you so far as to even", or, WTF are you trying to say?
>>
>>2134061
That image has chimps, m8.
>>
File: 1464705831931.jpg (41 KB, 582x699) Image search: [Google]
1464705831931.jpg
41 KB, 582x699
>>
he din do nuffin
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.